Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is funding Spirit Radio ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Personally, I find 'contemporary Christian music' lacking in originality and quality whilst also being a bit creepy. Maybe that's just me.

billy doesn't like it either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

parasite wrote: »

I guess there are always people with Strong beliefs who support groups that represent their point of view -- God knows the YES supporters for the 34th amendment to the constitution got money from "Some secret places". Massive amounts. €5 million from Atlantic Philanthropy its reported [Hidden support from Impact Union and other trade unions. [ without asking permission of their Members ].

I dunno -- Spirit Radio plays some great songs from a musical perspective. Its positive and offers the only media to give the other view to all the commercial stations. Much of the money comes from the public. I feel bombarded by TV Radio and Newspapers who offer nothing but depressing news. Some of the lyrics and dialogue on commercial stations seems to advocate Self centredness and carry a seedy content. A bit of spice if you are mature enough to process it might be ok but you have to realise that acting on such suggestions will only eventually cause you grief. Lets be Liberal about Spirit radio. Theres room for all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Keepan Eye wrote: »
    Its positive and offers the only media to give the other view to all the commercial stations.

They carry the exact same network news as every other commercial station and have done so for some time.

Why the BAI hasn't pulled it off air for massively failing to meet its licence conditions (transmission wise) I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Spirit have recently added a webpage that briefly breaks down their income and expenditure. One wonders if they are doing this more an beal bocht than in the interests of transparency. Either way it makes for dour reading as the gap between income and expenditure is massive.

They still don't seem to provide verified up to date audience figures from a reputable M+R company as per their contractual requirements. With just €5,000 a month income from advertisements its fairly clear that the listeners aren't there in volume enough to attract sales.

http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

37 grand is a hell of a lot to raise from donations and sponsorship every month.

I suspect there are other, hidden benefactors involved, maybe connected with foreign religious broadcasters.

37 grand is a hell of a lot to raise from donations and sponsorship every month.

I suspect there are other, hidden benefactors involved, maybe connected with foreign religious broadcasters.

And with €5,000 per month being the ad revenue, they are almost totally dependent on donations, subscriptions and hand outs. It's all too easy for any body to donate large sums of money to the station and this can be done at no risk of scrutiny or obligation to declare same. The potential is there to unduly influence the stations editorial stance should a body or person wanted to. It is my opinion that their use of subscribers and donations needs to be more transparent and open to scrutiny in case such abuses arise.

Spirit have recently added a webpage that briefly breaks down their income and expenditure. One wonders if they are doing this more an beal bocht than in the interests of transparency. Either way it makes for dour reading as the gap between income and expenditure is massive.

They still don't seem to provide verified up to date audience figures from a reputable M+R company as per their contractual requirements. With just €5,000 a month income from advertisements its fairly clear that the listeners aren't there in volume enough to attract sales.

http://www.spiritradio.ie/about/public-financial/
    Its a great station that I find very relaxing. I swop around but when I want to chill I like to listen to SR. If only it was nation wide. 700,000 ready listeners I'd say in the Republic and Cross border another huge listenership. Sure RTE rips us all off for a hefty licence fee that is used to pay very large [ undisclosed ] salaries. If only they'd pay a few decent guests for their Friday Night and Saturday night talk shows. GAYBO in his day used to have some fab International guests. In the last analysis I say lets be sincerely Liberal -- there is room for all of us on the Island.

700,000 ready listeners I'd say in the Republic and Cross border another huge listenership.

Even if you put radios into every grave in Ireland Spirit still wouldn't have 700,000 listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Tom Monaghan, perhaps? After all he does fund the Legatus lackeys (Jugendschutz, Iona, Mothers & Fathers Matter/Provisional Iona etc.).

• Advertisement

Even if you put radios into every grave in Ireland Spirit still wouldn't have 700,000 listeners.

Maybe you're right but sure why worry about SR so? Its impact against the overwhelming effects of the rest of Irish Media surely can hold no threat to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe you're right but sure why worry about SR so? Its impact against the overwhelming effects of the rest of Irish Media surely can hold no threat to you.

What impact?

Its news comes from Newstalk. It doesn't create any new content.

L1011 wrote: »
    What impact?

I find its Impact very relaxing. Cheers people up. Counteracts the negativity of the other stations. You need a bit of balance, a little bit of Hope. An anti dote to the Religion of Noreligion I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gadget_hq

What impact?

what's your big issue? you say the news only comes from Newstalk, which isn't true, I hear they carry their own news during the day and I've even heard Spirit Radio sourced news on Newstalk also. Spirit carries it's own news during the day, and evenings and weekends its network news like many other radio stations in ireland.

gadget_hq wrote: »
    what's your big issue? you say the news only comes from Newstalk, which isn't true, I hear they carry their own news during the day and I've even heard Spirit Radio sourced news on Newstalk also. Spirit carries it's own news during the day, and evenings and weekends its network news like many other radio stations in ireland.

The issue is the (inaccurate) claim that it provides any alternative news-wise. Their "own news" during the day is their own reader working off Newstalk content. You get the same news everywhere else.

The issue is the (inaccurate) claim that it provides any alternative news-wise. Their "own news" during the day is their own reader working off Newstalk content. You get the same news everywhere else.

Not true L1O11. For example when all other commercial stations [ 99.9%] promote the same slant on the 34th and the 8th; Spirit Radio gave both an airing. Persons who try to muzzle debate [as widely accepted during the 34th even by my friends with gay children ]; ....the people trying to muzzle debate are not true Liberals and provide no useful contribution to the development of a true liberal pluralist society.

Not true L1O11. For example when all other commercial stations [ 99.9%] promote the same slant on the 34th and the 8th; Spirit Radio gave both an airing. Persons who try to muzzle debate [as widely accepted during the 34th even by my friends with gay children ]; ....the people trying to muzzle debate are not true Liberals and provide no useful contribution to the development of a true liberal pluralist society.

The BAI has found absolutely nobody in breach, to date, on balance during the referendum debate. I don't think many people have the viewpoint that anyone was muzzled.

Screaming from every rooftop that you've been silenced doesn't mean you have, you know.

If you want to talk about balance, Spirit is flagrantly in breach of its licence conditions as regards coverage and valid audience research but is not even told off for it; whereas commercial stations do get warned.

The BAI has found absolutely nobody in breach, to date, on balance during the referendum debate. I don't think many people have the viewpoint that anyone was muzzled.

Screaming from every rooftop that you've been silenced doesn't mean you have, you know.

If you want to talk about balance, Spirit is flagrantly in breach of its licence conditions as regards coverage and valid audience research but is not even told off for it; whereas commercial stations do get warned.

'G'way outta dat' your havin' a laugh. " Screamin from the roof top" --Please send me the links to any Irish Indo or Irish Times articles from journalists on this. OR RTE broadcasts by Duffy, Finnucane et all ........99% of Irish Media went out of its way NOT to give a balanced view. Count the articles in the Irish Indo for months before the 34th. BIASED
    Sure even on the day of the Ref the Indo was writing articles pro one side.

Now look at RTE, every chance they get, out comes the 'soft soap' to propangadize for RTE's view only. This gets around the BAI as they mask the propaganda in "Candy floss fauning". Not a debate but a Love in with a rep from RTE's point of view.
    When GAY people are saying it was a perfect Management of Media spin [ for which they are to be applauded] I think its a QED.
    Sadly when you muzzle one side from my and your experience ;the outcome is not good.
    There is nothing wrong with admitting the MEDIA is biased and corrupt on many issues. Its the starting point of recovery for democracy and a return to our liberal equal accepting country.
    SR is a beautiful oasis of calmness positivity and good orderly direction for you and me.

'G'way outta dat' your havin' a laugh. " Screamin from the roof top" --Please send me the links to any Irish Indo or Irish Times articles from journalists on this. OR RTE broadcasts by Duffy, Finnucane et all ........99% of Irish Media went out of its way NOT to give a balanced view. Count the articles in the Irish Indo for months before the 34th. BIASED
    Sure even on the day of the Ref the Indo was writing articles pro one side.

You are aware that the print media isn't regulated for balance, right? Utterly irrelevant to a thread on a broadcaster.
    SR is a beautiful oasis of calmness positivity and good orderly direction for you and me.

"orderly direction" - erm, no thanks. I don't take direction from radio stations.

Sorry to drag this one up from the grave. Spirit raised €40,000 this week in another drive. All of this was with no mention of the fundraising drive on their Facebook, Twitter or website :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Sorry to drag this one up from the grave. Spirit raised €40,000 this week in another drive. All of this was with no mention of the fundraising drive on their Facebook, Twitter or website :rolleyes:

They asked and God answered?

swampy353 wrote: »
    They asked and God answered?

The same one who answered every single other time they miraculously hit their target with seconds to spare?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

The same one who answered every single other time they miraculously hit their target with seconds to spare?;)

He moves in mysterious ways

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

As they say "The Devil has all the best radio stations"
    98fm,news talk, todayfm and spin?...sure I wouldnt be calling them "the best.".;)
    (I kid ,I kid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Their online listenership is very poor. 7 people listening right now. I know it's it not mainstream, but that's very low for a licenced station.

How are listeners funding this to the tune of €20k/month??

Nova, a station with a huge audience in the greater Dublin area only made €53,000 for Focus Ireland, a well known homeless charity this week. Mind you, they only have 132,000 listeners to work off.

Makes you think again about how Spirit do so poorly, what with their alleged 500,000 listeners ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

JDxtra wrote: »
    Their online listenership is very poor. 7 people listening right now. I know it's it not mainstream, but that's very low for a licenced station.

Not inconceivable that there're 150 people in the country willing to give €100 or more a month to something like Spirit. Look at Patreon, if you've got a devoted (pun not intended, but intended) listener base you'll pull in money, even if it's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

JDxtra wrote: »

If Spirit got To 100 listeners a day across all platforms I'd be surprised. Wonder are their news bulletins covering the Tuam baby scandal or are they being selective given the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Expunge

heybaby wrote: »
    If Spirit got To 100 listeners a day across all platforms I'd be surprised. Wonder are their news bulletins covering the Tuam baby scandal or are they being selective given the subject matter.

Given the Evangelical Protestant feel to the station, I can't see why it wouldn't feature in their, ahem, tailored news bulletins.

Reporting on the cruel Papists wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Expunge wrote: »
    Given the Evangelical Protestant feel to the station, I can't see why it wouldn't feature in their, ahem, tailored news bulletins.

Reporting on the cruel Papists wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure.

I believe some protestant institutions were also implicated.

Advertisement