Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness is a good drop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Of course. This is what you lot always do so it's hardly going to come as a surprise.

Have a good read back like a good little lad.

I've read it...I know your posts have an issue with anyone that drinks anything but a pint of plain... but again...you're the only one stamping your feet and trying to justify the ridiculousness of your posts... but do keep it up .. it reminds me of auld Rumpelstiltskin stamping his foot until he disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've read it...I know your posts have an issue with anyone that drinks anything but a pint of plain... but again...you're the only one stamping your feet and trying to justify the ridiculousness of your posts... but do keep it up .. it reminds me of auld Rumpelstiltskin stamping his foot until he disappeared

I've an issue with what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I've an issue with what now?

Mmmmm pints!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

mad muffin wrote: »
    To me Guinness tastes like sewage water strained through a hobos dirty socks.

Drink sewage much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I love Guinness but in England I give it a wide berth. In bars it is served too cold and is just nasty. I was out one night in a gang and one lad drinking Guinness (English guy). I was sticking to whatever piss water it was and the lad was trying to convince me the Guinness was lovely...I tried it and I said honestly if I got that in Dublin it would be a classed as a bad pint...like what you would get in a nightclub at 1.00 in the morning.

In the last 2 weekly shops I have bough bottled Guinness for the first time ever and tried the West Indies Porter for the first time...gave me heartburn.

The bottled stuff is not pumped with nitrates and was surprisingly fizzy.

I am now officially middle aged I guess acting like an auld lad with the bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm a woman Guinness drinker.
    Lady like in glasses of course!
    It definitely is the proverbial acquired taste but once acquired, there's no looking back.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I love Guinness but in England I give it a wide berth. In bars it is served too cold and is just nasty. I was out one night in a gang and one lad drinking Guinness (English guy). I was sticking to whatever piss water it was and the lad was trying to convince me the Guinness was lovely...I tried it and I said honestly if I got that in Dublin it would be a classed as a bad pint...like what you would get in a nightclub at 1.00 in the morning.

In the last 2 weekly shops I have bough bottled Guinness for the first time ever and tried the West Indies Porter for the first time...gave me heartburn.

I am now officially middle aged I guess acting like an auld lad with the bottles.

I love the west Indies porter.
    Tastey drop.

I love the west Indies porter.
    Tastey drop.

I forgot I have another bottle left sitting in the kitchen. It will be empty come 9pm tonight with all this talk. In fact I might stock up on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I remember during a business meeting years ago with a manager from the UK being advised to only drink Extra Cold when “on the mainland”. He had the same opinion as you on regular Guinness.

Not sure Extra Cold is still around, haven’t seen it in a long time. Always tasted like a bad pint.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I drank Guinness for 30-odd years, then when I gave up smoking in October 2017 I discovered that I actually wasn't all that gone on the taste of it. Having said that, the stout is gorgeous in the local, and occasionally I have a few pints of it. I'm on the Carlsberg these days. And, in fairness to them, the Craft Beer Twats aren't quite as twatty and beardy as the Gin ****, although they give them a decent run. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

You know the Guinness is good in a bar when there is a litany of 'settling' pints on the bar waiting to be served.

I find being merry on Guinness or Murphy's for that matter the best- I am the funniest happiest guy in the world.

On the very very rare 'gun to the head' occasions I've had to drink lager (Heino or Carlsberg') I've turned into an angry irritable asshole and it just does my head in. Plus I simply do not like lager.

I tend to drink bitters in the UK if I am out but that brings another problem- it changes from pub to pub. What you might find in one pub (pure lottery) that's nice and then have 2-3 is not served in the next bar and then you hope to find a nice bitter (again a lottery). So if you go to 4-5 bars on a night out you will likely end up drinking 4-5 different bitters of varying quality- fast track to a right sick head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I like Guinness and drink it regulary enough, albeit usually more bottles these days, but its more typcial stout taste has been radically downgraded down the years to appeal to lager drinkers and try to keep Guiness commerically topical and it's served extremely cold which will deaden the taste of any stout any more.

It's cool to be honest. It's there when you want to drink it but it's also good that there's more options for people that want to enjoy a more classic stout taste.

I've no wish to jump into any of the tedious, defensive arguments where it's de rigeur to mention beards but some of the 'craft' stouts and/or porters that people are either championing or decrying here are just more faithful to the what classical porter or stout is actually supposed to taste like.

And indeed what Guinness tasted like when our parents drank it and Diageo weren't taking up the cudgels against contemporary more summery drinks.

People should really be getting more annoyed about MUP than what other people are drinking, to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Been drinking Guinness for about a year now and it's the finest drink I've tasted. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If only we could get the people who ran Witnness festival to run Electric Picnic we might be able to get a pint of Guinness again, the last time being 2007 when you could get a pint of the black at EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Pissartist wrote: »
    Drink sewage much ?

Yes. Yes I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Met up with a few pals down the local last night for a bit of a light supper and a few pints.

I'm normally a lager or a pale ale drinker, but inspired by this thread I opted for Guinness last night and I think I may be converted back to the black stuff.

Really enjoyed them, top notch alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I was out for the afternoon yesterday for a pub lunch and a few pints. Ended up having pints of Guinness. They went down really well to be fair.

Went home early enough and had a 6 pack of Guinness in the fridge waiting for me. Noticeable difference obviously, but I think I’ll have Guinness as my choice of drink for the next month or so. I go through phases of drinking the stuff, is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I have mixed emotions about it. It’s a great drink if you are literally having two pints. If you drank 5 or 6 you would be heading into dangerous territory. Other drinks are safe to have over the course of a night, like lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Yeah I was out for the afternoon yesterday for a pub lunch and a few pints. Ended up having pints of Guinness. They went down really well to be fair.

Went home early enough and had a 6 pack of Guinness in the fridge waiting for me. Noticeable difference obviously, but I think I’ll have Guinness as my choice of drink for the next month or so. I go through phases of drinking the stuff, is weird.

I’d imagine drinking that quantity of the stuff, your bowels would be in bits the next day.

• Advertisement

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I have mixed emotions about it. It’s a great drink if you are literally having two pints. If you drank 5 or 6 you would be heading into dangerous territory. Other drinks are safe to have over the course of a night, like lager.

It couldn’t be more the opposite for me. I’ve no issue putting away 10 or 12 pints of Guinness but I’d not get close to that in pints of larger. I’d fair a bit better with cars of larger as they aren’t as gassey as pints but still nothing is as easy to stay drinking for the day (or tastes as good) as good pints of creamy Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

And, of course, millions of people around the world refer to the white bit as cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I’d imagine drinking that quantity of the stuff, your bowels would be in bits the next day.

Surprisingly not for me. Have been grand this morning. Only feel slightly hungover, but that’s about it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

Was Guinness for years but stayed in a hotel last year where it was ****e so drank Murphy's for the weekend. I've not been able to go back since. Also i find it a bit less challenging the next morning.

I drink a pint of Guinness in 3 swigs, max 4.

Met up with a few pals down the local last night for a bit of a light supper and a few pints.

I'm normally a lager or a pale ale drinker, but inspired by this thread I opted for Guinness last night and I think I may be converted back to the black stuff.

Really enjoyed them, top notch alright.

Dropped any black missiles yet ? Always good for a laugh when hungover

I shouldn't have it at all as any amount absolutely destroys me, but had a few last night and it was worth it.

At this stage anyway, though I'll probably say different when still dying on Wednesday.

I'm gasping for one now reading this

Pissartist wrote: »
    I drink a pint of Guinness in 3 swigs, max 4.

You sound like a piss artist. Guinness isn't to be hurried back, rather supped at a measured pace.

• Advertisement

You sound like a piss artist. Guinness isn't to be hurried back, rather supped at a measured pace.

Then it gets warm. Warm Guinness is undrinkable for me.

Guinness is supposed to be drank whichever way you prefer to yourself. Like every drink.

Advertisement