Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness is a good drop.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I love when Americans drink it and fake the delighted expression. It's an acquired taste, can take many years to appreciate it. I find it too bitter and too cold nowadays, whatever they have done to it in the last 20 years or so.

Then it gets warm.

If you nurse it for over an hour. Those who throw Guinness down, either they're new to the game or lack common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If you nurse it for over an hour. Those who throw Guinness down, either they're new to the game or lack common sense.

Those who throw it down choose to throw down the drink they paid for. Those who choose not to, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

I love when Americans drink it and fake the delighted expression. It's an acquired taste, can take many years to appreciate it. I find it too bitter and too cold nowadays, whatever they have done to it in the last 20 years or so.

I heard of a story of a yank desperately looking for a doctor the morning after a night on the Guinness, after he took a dump.

Those who throw it down choose to throw down the drink they paid for. Those who choose not to, don't.

You're obviously in the former category, and to be given a wide berth.

• Advertisement

You're obviously in the former category, and to be given a wide berth.

Ah, your way is the only way. You should try some craft stouts, your attitude would really suit the scene and you'd fit in perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Went for a feed of pint bottles of Guinness in Dublin on Friday night. Started in the International bar, then the long hall and finished up in the cobblestone. Enjoyed them immensely.

Pissartist wrote: »
    At my age I'm not new to the game ! Maybe lacking common sense but I like to drink in gulps always have no matter what the drink

Drink it whatever way you want to drink it. You're paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I’d imagine drinking that quantity of the stuff, your bowels would be in bits the next day.

Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

You sound like a piss artist. Guinness isn't to be hurried back, rather supped at a measured pace.

He has a valid point though if you leave it too long it goes to sh1te! About 25 mins is my average and they stay lovely and creamy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Used drink it the whole time until I was around 19/20. Not so much recently.
    Anyone like the large bottles of Guinness from the shelf?
    Don't seem them in Dublin but when I go down to Wexford I try and get a few. Lovely drink but I pay for it the next day.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I’d imagine drinking that quantity of the stuff, your bowels would be in bits the next day.

Quite the opposite, a Guinness sh*te is one of life’s great pleasures, something to be looked forward to.
    You sound like a piss artist. Guinness isn't to be hurried back, rather supped at a measured pace.

While I’d not drink Guinness as fast as the other poster I did work with an absolute monster Guinness drinker once’s a few years back. This lad would be 25 stone weight and would but away 20+ pints of Guinness of a weekend night with ease. Anyway he always used to say “if you have to handle a pint 3 times it’s no good”

As for my own pace it varies, if you are out early and on it for the day the pace has to push up to 40 or so at the start anyway if you want to last for 12 or 14 hours at it. On the other hand out for 5 or 6 quick pints, 20/25 mins a pint would be a very comfortable pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Beer is dross, I only drink it when I have to.

Stout is where it's at; a proper drink.

"A pint of plain is your only man"

I've bad news for you, stout is beer

Used drink it the whole time until I was around 19/20. Not so much recently.
    Anyone like the large bottles of Guinness from the shelf?
    Don't seem them in Dublin but when I go down to Wexford I try and get a few. Lovely drink but I pay for it the next day.

Yeah big large bottle off the shelf fan. Plenty of bars around Dublin do them. Mostly older style bars. Being a Waterford man, I can enjoy a pint bottle in pretty much every bar down there when I’m home..

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah big large bottle off the shelf fan. Plenty of bars around Dublin do them. Mostly older style bars. Being a Waterford man, I can enjoy a pint bottle in pretty much every bar down there when I’m home..

Stout/porter is absolutely terrible from a bottle, I just can’t understand lads drinking warm bottles of Guinness from the shelf in a pub with absolutely top class Guinness on tap. I’d far prefer to drink lager than bottled stout incl bottled Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,607 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Stout/porter is absolutely terrible from a bottle, I just can’t understand lads drinking warm bottles of Guinness from the shelf in a pub with absolutely top class Guinness on tap. I’d far prefer to drink lager than bottled stout incl bottled Guinness.

The bottled Guinness tastes like it’s been pumped full of Guinness farts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Never liked the fizzy Guinness over a draught myself but the bottles do seem to be getting a bit of popularity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jimdavey

has anyone tried guinness clear yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The nitrogwn on the draught system dulls the flavour, so the bottles have more flavour. Inthunk the bottles may also be a bit stronger.

A tap water masquerade. Cynical ploy by Diageo.

Is it not a campaign to get people to drink more water when they're out? If it was one of those hacks off operation transformation campaigning for the same they'd be a hero.

Or are they actually selling water?

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    The nitrogwn on the draught system dulls the flavour, so the bottles have more flavour. Inthunk the bottles may also be a bit stronger.

It’s a terrible consistany though, to be stout should be creamy like from a tap but from a bottle it’s dead and sort of almost sickening. Very sharp taste too which I don’t like.

Cans of Guinness while no where near as good as draught are at least the right creamy/milky consistacy. As we would say about a great pint “it’s pure bainne”

Is it not a campaign to get people to drink more water when they're out? If it was one of those hacks off operation transformation campaigning for the same they'd be a hero.

Or are they actually selling water?

Treating us like gullible eejits, slapping a label on water and charging for the privilege. Another marketing dud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Warm stout in a bottle is offensive to the nose and taste buds but cold bottles with a schooner glass are a thing of beauty and ideal for a day long session.

Easy to drink tasty and refreshing although I believe that i ve committed war crimes in the jacks the following day

Treating us like gullible eejits, slapping a label on water and charging for the privilege. Another marketing dud.

Ah right. I didn't realise there was an actual product. I thought it was just an ad campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah right. I didn't realise there was an actual product. I thought it was just an ad campaign.

There isn't. It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's worse from a can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I've bad news for you, stout is beer

Yeah, but you know what I meant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I prefer a bottle off the shelf, draught Gunness is tasteless

squawker wrote: »
    I prefer a bottle off the shelf, draught Gunness is tasteless

Agreed. The real Guinness. Draft is a relatively new thing.

• Advertisement

It's worse from a can

Much better from a can than a bottle imo but nothing beats a pint from the tap, absolute nectar (provided it’s a good pint that is).

Advertisement