Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we the greatest nation on the planet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

We are mediocre at soccer, and towards the upper-end of a small pool in rugby.

But in global sporting terms, we definitely excel at horse racing. Particularly national hunt. Our breeding is world-renowned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I thought about the OP's post.
    I would say all in all we are one of the top nations on earth to live in.

Mild climate compared to many countries
    No wars island at peace.
    Do not act as an aggressor in conflicts further afield.
    The country punches above it's weight internationally in the EU.
    It holds major sway with the UK and America.
    The social welfare system is much better than the basic standard of living in many countries.
    The healthcare system, while not perfect (trolleys in A&E etc) is far better than many countries like the USA if you are poor there you are f*cked.
    People are generally friendly wherever you go, especially down the country where strangers would ask you twenty questions.
    The Irish humour is great, even though we can be begrudgers, slagging people because we like the person is not a thing every country does.
    We are a very progressive country how many countries have a half Indian gay fella, who's primary sport was cricket?
    Also there are strict gun control laws in Ireland which the self proclaimed 'greatest nation on earth' America has a blind spot on.
    We have a police force who are mostly unarmed and still put thier lives in danger against criminals to protect myself and yourself.
    The only thing I feel that Ireland needs to improve is self-hatred/fear of it's own language and get a decent transport system built.
    If the last two are achieved it will be the greatest nation on earth!

Ironically this is one of the things I don't think we've got right. I think it's too generous long term and not sustainable.

But I don't want this to become yet another dole bashing thread.

I still think we're GRRREAT!

Catholics and Protestants detest each other ?
    I think you'll find small groups of sectarian thugs still continue to behave like that along with a political divide up there .
    I doubt very much the average Catholic or Protestant has any hatred for the other side.

The thugs do seem to hate the other side, yes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/grow-up-mary-lou-sinn-f%C3%A9in-leader-criticised-over-st-patrick-s-day-banner-1.3829135?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

janfebmar wrote: »
    Some achievement for global insustainability?
    Most banana Republics in Africa do better.

Do better at what exactly?

Dunno. North Korea - some leap.

I think it's absurd to suggest that Ireland is the greatest country on earth, but there's utter bollox from the other extreme also. "Banana republic" etc - from smartphones and laptops in comfy homes. It's got good points and bad points - it's on the good side of middling. And it's paradise to many around the world.

The self flagellation is not necessary.

The banana republic folk tend to live in little villages and barely move from them. Living abroad teaches a lot, that ireland does some things worse and some things better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Catholics and Protestants detest each other ?
    I think you'll find small groups of sectarian thugs still continue to behave like that along with a political divide up there .
    I doubt very much the average Catholic or Protestant has any hatred for the other side.
    I think youll find it more than a small group. Look at the DUP and Sinn Fein who will object to anything that might give the other side the least advantage. Five of the six counties voted against opening Croke Park to other sports. The DUP would have playgrounds closed on Sundays. Much more than small groups Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Feisar wrote: »
    Well Diageo is American isn't it?

Aurther Guinness was one of the landed gentry, basically a tan and would have identified as English. He had a brewery and went over to London and got a stout recipe. THE IRISH DID NOT INVENT STOUT. Guinness would not employ a Catholic in a management position until 1972 when they were forced to by the government.
    Despite all this through the power of marketing Guinness is Irish.

Peronsally I drink guinness cos I like the taste and does not cut the stomach out of ya like the gasey,watery, super-brewery beers Heineken/carlsberg/budweiser etc.

Beamish is Okish but seems a bit 'heavy oli-slicky' for me.
    I suppose I must be a closet prod member of the landed set at heart!?

As regards the greatest nation on earth thing.
    What other nation would greet Nelson Mandela with 'Oh, Ah, Paul McGrath's da'?

:D

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mary-mcaleese-my-daughter-triggered-the-paul-mcgrath-chant-at-mandelas-visit-251898.html

http://thesimplestgame.blogspot.com/2008/06/nelson-mandela-paul-mcgraths-da.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gonad wrote: »
    “I think, by declaring a state of emergency, by admitting that a country that trains nurses can’t keep them, that a country that has, tonight, in bed and breakfast accommodation, children who have to get up around six o’clock tomorrow morning, get a bus for an hour, go to school, walk the streets, come back to the bed and breakfast.

“What on earth did we fight for our freedom for? To live in a kip like this

Eamon Dunphy

There is no one to blame for this other than the lazy parents who keep having kids without a means to support them. if you work hard you wont need to live in a b&b, and just because you were born in Dublin does not give you the right to live there your whole life, if you don't earn enough to live in Dublin then you need to move to the sticks or over seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Edgware wrote: »
    I think youll find it more than a small group. Look at the DUP and Sinn Fein who will object to anything that might give the other side the least advantage. Five of the six counties voted against opening Croke Park to other sports. The DUP would have playgrounds closed on Sundays. Much more than small groups Im afraid.

It wasn't decided on the basis of a county vote , the GAA would have sat and around 250 or so delegates voted.
    You couldn't possibly have any vote with just 32 members governing such a huge body.

Sinn Fein and DUP are both elected representives of sections in society with a mandate to look for what they deem is best for whoever elected.

By the way , you heard of the saying " don't mix politics and sport" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

yeah it is, I love it so much. I used to hate it but I wouldn't want to be from anywhere other than Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It wasn't decided on the basis of a county vote , the GAA would have sat and around 250 or so delegates voted.
    You couldn't possibly have any vote with just 32 members governing such a huge body.

Sinn Fein and DUP are both elected representives of sections in society with a mandate to look for what they deem is best for whoever elected.

By the way , you heard of the saying " don't mix politics and sport" ?
    The delegates from five of the six were mandated to vote no to opening reflecting the views at club level

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My list of greatest nations in order...

1. United States of America (by some distance)
    2. South Korea
    3. Germany
    4. Japan
    5. China

105. Ireland (we don't even make the top 100 OP)

2. South Korea
    3. Germany
    4. Japan
    5. China

Strange list. I think you just like their roads.

The US appeals to people who haven’t lived there. It has its charms but is horrible for many citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Greatest nation? Nah. But I like Ireland. One thing I’m always grateful for is that we are not a nation prone to natural disasters. We truly are blessed in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

2. South Korea
    3. Germany
    4. Japan
    5. China

Why so hard on yourself Kermie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

2. South Korea
    3. Germany
    4. Japan
    5. China

I have been to China 5 times since 1998. Each time was an eye opener. Those guys are strategically superior to every other country in the world by a country mile. Their plan to take over the globe economically is now unstoppable. I don't understand how little coverage there is about how China are gobbling up resources everywhere to ensure global domination forever. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I'm gona go with Finland.

Holding off the might of the Soviet Union and even taking the offensive at one stage.

Thats not balls of steel, thats balls of titanium status...

Ireland is the best a putting donkeys in Government. I'm sure we can all agree on that one, its people who only care about themselves and the party rather than the nation's long-term future.

They're so brainwashed its frighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I'm gona go with Finland.

Holding off the might of the Soviet Union and even taking the offensive at one stage.

Thats not balls of steel, thats balls of titanium status...

Ireland is the best a putting donkeys in Government. I'm sure we can all agree on that one, its people who only care about themselves and the party rather than the nation's long-term future.

They're so brainwashed its frighting.

That’s what the people want though.

They won’t vote for politicians who think in the long term.

People here want things now and only vote for politicians who will fix their potholes now and put money in the pockets now.

It’s a vicious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They won’t vote for politicians who think in the long term.

Politics isn't a long term game, and that's not just here, most western nations are the same, with Italy changing its government almost every year. Do we really have politicians that have long term thinking in their dna, I'm not convinced?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AMG1988

I don't disagree with anything from that opening post at all! Makes me proud being Irish & reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Feisar wrote: »
    Well Diageo is American isn't it?

Aurther Guinness was one of the landed gentry, basically a tan and would have identified as English. He had a brewery and went over to London and got a stout recipe. THE IRISH DID NOT INVENT STOUT. Guinness would not employ a Catholic in a management position until 1972 when they were forced to by the government.
    Despite all this through the power of marketing Guinness is Irish.

Arthur Guinness's parents Richard and Elizabeth were both the children of tenant farmers in Dublin and Kildare. Richard's family claimed a descent from the Gaelic Magennis clan of County Down.[2] Recent DNA evidence however suggests descent from the McCartans, another County Down clan, whose spiritual home of Kinelarty included the townland of "Guiness" near Ballynahinch, County Down.

He was church of Ireland but not landed gentry and certainly not a tan. He was a supporter of Grattan and later of the act of union but would have identified as Irish and British. I don’t know about the management thing but I had herd that Guinness was a closed shop and still very much is.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Squatter wrote: »
    How could you omit Traveller Culture and Conor McGregor from that comprehensive list?

I think both could be included in the same category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

People here want things now and only vote for politicians who will fix their potholes now and put money in the pockets now.

That's the problem with Ireland, our politicians of all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

2. South Korea
    3. Germany
    4. Japan
    5. China

Ah you only have the USA there because of Miss Piggy (be honest).
    USA greatest nation on earth? :eek:
    Most hyped nation on earth more like - it ignores sh!te healthcare system (if you are poor yer f**ked), chronic obesity (oversized portion sizes), odd attitude to guns/gun laws, and plastic surgery as a lifestyle choice for the rich (how can anyone think it looks realistic?). Involvement in foreign wars on false pretenses WMD etc. The USA have a history of overthrowing democratically elected governments when it suits them.
    https://www.oddhistorian.com/list-of-democratically-elected-governments-overthrown-by-the-us/-
    My personal favourite is the first '9/11' Chile 1973
    Plus they put Pol Pot in power in Cambodia.
    http://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-the-us-backed-pol-pot.29317/
    And obviously of course there is the blinkered backing of the Israeli state.

Have you ever tasted a Hershey chocolate bar? Rotten stuff! And to top it all off when you buy something in America it is not the price written on the label - you have to add tax yourself!
    Oh and really unnatural looking white teeth is another one.

Worse still they are the cause of backward baseball caps, and they have the gall to say they won WWII for the French when the country who took the brunt in WWII was the Russians.' Freedom fries' me @rse.
    Plus Americans have little knowledge of the world outside America - 'St Patty's day' etc.

It is because of America that teenagers all over Ireland talk with that stupid faux American accent with lots of 'likes' used as commas in speech.
    It is because of America we don't even call films - 'filums' anymore it is 'movies' now apparently.
    Greatest nation on earth me hole. Their two candidates in the last Presidential election were Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump which shows how broken American democracy/duopoly is.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pronto63 wrote: »
    A day before our National holiday this question must be asked.

Ok we're not perfect, we have our issues but seriously can any other nation punch above their weight like us?

1. Sport. Even though we have 4 main field sports on the island (hurling, GAA, soccer & rugby) we still manage to complete at the highest level in rugby - I know disappointing result today - well done Wales.

2. Literature. Joyce, Beckett, Heaney to name just 3. I know English is our de facto mother language but again we can express ourselves at the highest level.

3. Music. Boyzone, Westlife, U2 again naming 3 that just pop into my head and although I'm a U2 fan I think Bono talks some sh1te.

4. U.N. For a small nation we have an enviable record of UN service well served by our small but throughly professional Defence Forces.

5. What other nation, with the possible exception of the USA has the entire planet celebrate their National Holiday.
    Examples:
    - Saw a piece on morning TV this morning about a Paddy's Day parade in some Japanese city that was in its 3rd year. Complete with loads of little japanese kids dressed in green tryin to do jigs.

- A 1 on 1 with the leader of the free world (God help us!) every year - guaranteed.

- From the Eiffel Tour and Sydney Opera House to Niagra Falls some 290 global landmarks in 50 countries turn green to celebrate OUR national day.

6. The entire population of the planet claim to be Irish on the 17th. And they're allowed on the 17th.

Well?

Are we great or what?
    rugby is a global minority sport
    i'm ashamed of westlife and boyzone
    we pay to turn things green, its a tourist bord thing.
    the diaspora FLED ireland
    Do you read much becket and joyce?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Proportional representation. One important upshot of it is that the individual vote actually means something and gets candidates' attention. God knows we fuck plenty of things up, but the way we go about business means that when complex, multi-faceted issues present, it is always possibly eventually to thrash out a consensus. Unlike jurisdictions such as the USA and UK, where you end up with Donald Trump and Harry Enfield. In fact, in the USA they don't seem to acknowledge the existence of anything bar a first-past-the-post voting setup. And they'll tell you the Electoral College is "The Problem". :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd say... we're the second best nation on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

We're 14th.

Overall Rank Country
    1  Finland
    2  Norway
    3  Denmark
    4  Iceland
    5   Switzerland
    6  Netherlands
    7  Canada
    8  New Zealand
    9  Sweden
    10  Australia
    11  Israel
    12  Austria
    13  Costa Rica
    14  Ireland

Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report#2019_World_Happiness_Report

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I wouldn't like to live anywhere else as I like Ireland, we do well as a nation, but as soon as someone says something like "Are we the greatest nation on the planet?" I just think "wánker"

Not directed at you OP, anyone from any country that says that would get the same reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,636 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I do love how the French take no crap from their government. One fault of us, we get walked all over and just talk about it. French are people of action, they are willing to remind their government '' you work for us!! ''

Advertisement