Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we the greatest nation on the planet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

jbt123 wrote: »
    I'm watching the BBC news coverage of the Christchurch shootings. Some Maoris have put leprechaun hats on the shrine for the victims...

Even our make believe world transcends all borders and cultures..

Maoris, Leprechauns & Muslims.

What a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The greatest nation on earth? We wouldn’t even make the top 100.

A nation should be judged on how it treats animals. We are bottom of the barrel. Puppy farms and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

As a country we have lots of good points, but far away from the best on the planet.
    Getting rid of chancers and low standards would be a good starting point.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

There are an awful lot of worse countries in the world, to be fair.

We had a great head start though, though most would deny it. Most of the countries where our emigrants emigrate to are English speaking too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Healthcare and housing. We are the best

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

janfebmar wrote: »
    There are an awful lot of worse countries in the world, to be fair.

We had a great head start though, though most would deny it. Most of the countries where our emigrants emigrate to are English speaking too.

Libya and north Korea

Half the country emigrated but our population increased by one million in the last twenty years. That is some achievement.
    Just hope they all don't want to come home with their children & grand children, or the descendants of all the previous generations that left.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

If we are not the greatest Nation on Earth, could some one tell me which Country is the Greatest,is it the USA,maybe Canada or Australia,or Portugal or north Korea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Pronto63 wrote: »
    A day before our National holiday this question must be asked.

Ok we're not perfect, we have our issues but seriously can any other nation punch above their weight like us?

1. Sport. Even though we have 4 main field sports on the island (hurling, GAA, soccer & rugby) we still manage to complete at the highest level in rugby - I know disappointing result today - well done Wales.

2. Literature. Joyce, Beckett, Heaney to name just 3. I know English is our de facto mother language but again we can express ourselves at the highest level.

3. Music. Boyzone, Westlife, U2 again naming 3 that just pop into my head and although I'm a U2 fan I think Bono talks some sh1te.

4. U.N. For a small nation we have an enviable record of UN service well served by our small but throughly professional Defence Forces.

5. What other nation, with the possible exception of the USA has the entire planet celebrate their National Holiday.
    Examples:
    - Saw a piece on morning TV this morning about a Paddy's Day parade in some Japanese city that was in its 3rd year. Complete with loads of little jap kids dressed in green tryin to do jigs.

- A 1 on 1 with the leader of the free world (God help us!) every year - guaranteed.

- From the Eiffel Tour and Sydney Opera House to Niagra Falls some 290 global landmarks in 50 countries turn green to celebrate OUR national day.

6. The entire population of the planet claim to be Irish on the 17th. And they're allowed on the 17th.

Well?

Are we great or what?

You're talking some absolute shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Jesus op how much massively taxed alcohol have you had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Boyzone, Westlife

Our greatest export.

export?

Did we not Deport them? Well feck it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How could we be the greatest nation on the planet when we are not 'even a nation once again' ?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You know the maxim "it's a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there"?

To me, Ireland is the reverse. Everything wonderful about it comes from being steeped in it for years.

I moved a lot as a kid; my residual Mid-atlantic drawl ensured my national identity has been challenged on a daily basis for decades. But when as an adult I moved to the Netherlands, within a week or two I knew one thing for certain: I am meant to be in Ireland. The people, the landscape, the weather, the worldview, the food, the light, the accent, the slang, the architecture, everything. Home.

I'm not sure if you can imagine the enormity of that revelation if you aren't from a mongrel background, but I assure you it is quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Up the RA, Pints, Sinn Fein, Auld Ones!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I like Dunphy as much as the next man but that’s a whole load of hyperbolic nonsense.

Who is this next man? Because everyone I know thinks he's an arrogant, opinionated a*sehole full of his own self-importance, and I can't disagree with them.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    The greatest nation on earth? We wouldn’t even make the top 100.

A nation should be judged on how it treats animals. We are bottom of the barrel. Puppy farms and the like.

That's your main criteria on what the greatest nation on earth is?
    How puppies are treated?? :confused:

In china they eat the yokes, but they were writing and inventing gunpowder/paper money - while Europe was drowning witches and rolling in thier own sh!te.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

In a couple of years Ireland, (Republic of), will be 'celebrating' 100 years of independence. I was trying to think what do we have to celebrate and I couldn't think of much.
    We started off with huge advantages compared to most emerging nations. We had good infrastructure for the time. We had good productive land. We had many industries. We had a functioning Civil Service and Local Government.
    We really don't have much to celebrate. That 100 years of independence is stained by mass unemployment, mass emigration, regular economic crises, industrial schools, Magdelene Laundries, Mother and Baby homes, homelessness, failure to address the Traveller issue and allowing the Catholic Church to effectively determine social policy.
    All in all, a litany of failure rather than success. It wasn't until we joined the EEC/EU that we began to become a country that most of its inhabitants actually preferred to live in rather than emigrate to somewhere better. If I had been born twenty years earlier I doubt if I would be living here now.
    We are getting there slowly and painfully but we still have a way to go. I hope that in the future Ireland will be one of the greatest nations on earth but we are not there yet.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In a couple of years Ireland, (Republic of), will be 'celebrating' 100 years of independence. I was trying to think what do we have to celebrate and I couldn't think of much.
    We started off with huge advantages compared to most emerging nations. We had good infrastructure for the time. We had good productive land. We had many industries. We had a functioning Civil Service and Local Government.
    We really don't have much to celebrate. That 100 years of independence is stained by mass unemployment, mass emigration, regular economic crises, industrial schools, Magdelene Laundries, Mother and Baby homes, homelessness, failure to address the Traveller issue and allowing the Catholic Church to effectively determine social policy.
    All in all, a litany of failure rather than success. It wasn't until we joined the EEC/EU that we began to become a country that most of its inhabitants actually preferred to live in rather than emigrate to somewhere better. If I had been born twenty years earlier I doubt if I would be living here now.
    We are getting there slowly and painfully but we still have a way to go. I hope that in the future Ireland will be one of the greatest nations on earth but we are not there yet.

Simple - we have peace on the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

The occupied territories bill is a little unassuming piece of legislation that is so reasonable that it could stifle the plans of some of the worst of current and future regimes.

I know these regimes always find a way to circumvent common sense legislation (The USA evading war crimes for torture by simply not declaring war being one of the most despicable), but this is legislation that everyone could get behind and hopefully make occupation a futile exercise.

That legislation made me proud of this country. Militarily we are a non entity, but that simple legislation is the stuff of nightmares for superpowers let alone rogue nations.

We painted a target on our back when we put that idea forward, make no mistake about it. War planners have all kinds of invasion plans drawn up, ready to be implemented if circumstances allow. This would take that option of the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Zaph wrote: »
    Who is this next man? Because everyone I know thinks he's an arrogant, opinionated a*sehole full of his own self-importance, and I can't disagree with them.
    I like him, or find him entertaining at least. Read an article on him recently where he said:

I am very much not impressed by the idea that what I do is important. What doctors and nurses do is important; what mothers do is important, what a father does is important.

“I really don’t think that being a football analyst or a journalist contributes very much, except that you might add slightly to the…gaiety of the nation."

Which is all you want, really

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It’s lovely stuff though.
    It's a reasonably good cooking stout, if overpriced for that role. As a drink though it's far behind all porterhouse stouts, oharas, dungarvan, even Beamish and Murphys. And that's just mentioning other stouts brewed on this island, never mind the rest of the world.
    Amazing the power of advertising eh?

Feisar wrote: »
    Well Diageo is American isn't it?

Aurther Guinness was one of the landed gentry, basically a tan and would have identified as English. He had a brewery and went over to London and got a stout recipe. THE IRISH DID NOT INVENT STOUT. Guinness would not employ a Catholic in a management position until 1972 when they were forced to by the government.
    Despite all this through the power of marketing Guinness is Irish.

Correct, except the first of those inferior, superstitious, dirty Papists were allowed in the doors of Guinness management in the late 1940s because 1) Guinness decided to be more inclusive? or 2) After WWII there was a shortage of white male Protestants for management?

The Guinness family, their deeply and active pro-Unionist and anti-Nationalist politics and their employment practices have never been on the side of the Irish. It's quite repulsive that for a company which uses "history" to brand itself, its real history of rancid hostility to the vast majority of people on this island is absolutely whitewashed. But then again, given that the vast majority of journalists in the Dublin media are superstar sycophantic cúnts, choosing corporate spin over historical reality that could undermine advertising revenue is par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The Guinness family, their deeply and active pro-Unionist and anti-Nationalist politics and their employment practices have never been on the side of the Irish.

They employed thousands of Irish, provided housing etc. You mean that in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc they did not employ Catholics in top positions? Well how protestants do you think the state here employed in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc? Virtually none. Thankfully all that is changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Simple - we have peace on the island of Ireland.
    A great achievement even though the Catholics and Protestants up North still detest each other and love to live in the past where they can dwell on historic grievances

I thought about the OP's post.
    I would say all in all we are one of the top nations on earth to live in.

Mild climate compared to many countries
    No wars island at peace.
    Do not act as an aggressor in conflicts further afield.
    The country punches above it's weight internationally in the EU.
    It holds major sway with the UK and America.
    The social welfare system is much better than the basic standard of living in many countries.
    The healthcare system, while not perfect (trolleys in A&E etc) is far better than many countries like the USA if you are poor there you are f*cked.
    People are generally friendly wherever you go, especially down the country where strangers would ask you twenty questions.
    The Irish humour is great, even though we can be begrudgers, slagging people because we like the person is not a thing every country does.
    We are a very progressive country how many countries have a half Indian gay fella, who's primary sport was cricket?
    Also there are strict gun control laws in Ireland which the self proclaimed 'greatest nation on earth' America has a blind spot on.
    We have a police force who are mostly unarmed and still put thier lives in danger against criminals to protect myself and yourself.
    The only thing I feel that Ireland needs to improve is self-hatred/fear of it's own language and get a decent transport system built.
    If the last two are achieved it will be the greatest nation on earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

janfebmar wrote: »
    Some achievement for global insustainability?
    Most banana Republics in Africa do better.
    No they don't.
    Gonad wrote: »
    “I think, by declaring a state of emergency, by admitting that a country that trains nurses can’t keep them, that a country that has, tonight, in bed and breakfast accommodation, children who have to get up around six o’clock tomorrow morning, get a bus for an hour, go to school, walk the streets, come back to the bed and breakfast.

“What on earth did we fight for our freedom for? To live in a kip like this

Eamon Dunphy
    Why doesn't he leave so? But of course he won't - he has it so good in this "kip".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Edgware wrote: »
    A great achievement even though the Catholics and Protestants up North still detest each other and love to live in the past where they can dwell on historic grievances

Catholics and Protestants detest each other ?
    I think you'll find small groups of sectarian thugs still continue to behave like that along with a political divide up there .
    I doubt very much the average Catholic or Protestant has any hatred for the other side.

Edgware wrote: »

Yeah it is easy to forget when most of the island was relatively untouched and were somewhat divorced from it. I remember there used be an item on the news nearly everyday someone bombed/shot.
    Now they just argue like clowns with words which is far safer for everyone.
    Ironically a country which is in turmoil the UK could drag Ireland down with them again with Brexit. It is a frightening thought.
    And Brexit all started because of political opportunism, ignorance and xenophobic/jingoist rhetoric.
    The fact that many in the UK are now scrambling for Irish passports means that being Irish must not be as bad a thing as some seem to think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

kingchess wrote: »
    If we are not the greatest Nation on Earth, could some one tell me which Country is the Greatest,is it the USA,maybe Canada or Australia,or Portugal or north Korea?
    Dunno. North Korea - some leap.

I think it's absurd to suggest that Ireland is the greatest country on earth, but there's utter bollox from the other extreme also. "Banana republic" etc - from smartphones and laptops in comfy homes. It's got good points and bad points - it's on the good side of middling. And it's paradise to many around the world.

The self flagellation is not necessary.

Advertisement