Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you motivate yourself for the gym

• 05-03-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm not a sporty/active person but need to go to the gym or exercise to stay somewhat fit.

I just wonder how people motivate themselves or get themselves into the mood to go to the gym (my gym has weights ,treadmills, pool, whole lot)

I Just find the whole thing a chore so I wonder how you do it ?

I know some people love it but for those that don't ,how do you motivate yourself

And how often in a week would you go ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

wally1990 wrote: »
    I'm not a sporty/active person but need to go to the gym or exercise to stay somewhat fit.

I just wonder how people motivate themselves or get themselves into the mood to go to the gym (my gym has weights ,treadmills, pool, whole lot)

I know some people love it but for those that don't ,how do you motivate yourself

My best motivation ever was a broken shower at home. Went every day for about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If the gym isn't your thing then find what is your thing when it comes to exercise.

Everyone would benefit from some level of resistance training but the first step is to find something you like doing and take it from there.

If you want to give the gym a go, get a program. Even one online. There's nothing more sure to put off someone that isn't really sure about being in the gym than not really knowing what to do. It's aimless and gets old quickly. Having some structure will helo because you get to see some level of progression and you don't have to think about what to do.

Whatever you decide to do, make it a habit. Make it so that you get up in the morning and think "Its <insert day>, I'm going to do X today". Have your gear ready the night before if it makes it less likely that you won't. Establish that habit and motivation to do it become a less of a driver. And the results will be the motivation.

Many a time i haven't felt motivated but I did it cos it was a day I trained. And I always felt glad afterwards.

I go 3 times a week. i'm rarely 'in the mood'. i whinge about it before i go. then i sit in the car for about 10 mins outside the gym wishing i could sit on the couch. then i get going and it's great.
    i have no motivation,i just go.
    make it a habit. or find something that suits you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I Have to say I find going to the gym extremely boring, but I push myself as I just need to lose weight. I manage to go three times a week and feel great afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

bluewolf wrote: »
    I go 3 times a week. i'm rarely 'in the mood'. i whinge about it before i go. then i sit in the car for about 10 mins outside the gym wishing i could sit on the couch. then i get going and it's great.
    i have no motivation,i just go.
    make it a habit. or find something that suits you better.

+1. It’s just part of my routine. I finish college and then I go to the gym. I really enjoy it when I’m there, but some days I’d love nothing more than to come straight home and do nothing. Some days I’m like “oh I can’t wait to go to the gym later” but more often than not it’s just my routine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Walking is good.

But that means you have to get out of a permanent place. Still..... Think about it. Fresh air and time to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Get a gym buddy and arrange to meet them at a certain time. Once you're there it's normally grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are you goals? It's very easy to be motivated to go after something you really want. If you only kinda want it, it's not as easy.

I'll spend 5 or more hours grappling this week. I want to get better at it.
    I'll struggle to do 20 mins of cardio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

wally1990 wrote: »

I've always said that the hardest exercise in the gym is turning the handle on the front door, once you're there, its never as bad as you imagined.
    personally, im not the biggest fan of exercise, but I treat it like a job - as in its a mandatory activity I have no choice but to attend.

Also, If you're just faffing about, randomly picking exercises, equipment, you're bound to get bored or frustrated - set yourself some definite goals - they dont have to be massive, if you cant do a pullup for example, keep working on that until you can do one, then keep going till you can do 10. at least by doing this, you can see where you've improved, rather than feeling like you're just putting down the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Personally my motivation is my other sporting activities.

They see benefit from my gym work therefore I am motivated to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Personally my motivation is my other sporting activities.

They see benefit from my gym work therefore I am motivated to train.

Likewise I know if I don't do it there's more chance of not being able to compete in my other sports. That and the thought of putting on weight needlessly in my 30's and looking a bit frumpy scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

The only gym session you should regret is the one you don't show up for.
    Walking around not knowing what you are doing is the biggest problem most people face. There's only so much you can search online and if you don't know the basics it's not going to help you.
    For people struggling in the gym I always suggest a class of some sort, try loads of different ones and see what you like.
    A lot of the time having someone tell you what to do is half the battle won and you start enjoying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

being efficient helps, during the week I go after work on the way home generally on the bike so no need to change and arrive warmed up, gives me an incentive to leave work on time and still be home 7ish. A lot of people could probably be more efficient with the time they spend in a gym too.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I can only go if I go first thing, otherwise I will think up plenty of good reasons not to go.

So its habit. 4 times a week. Before work for 3 of those sessions. All I do on the mornings I go it get up, into gear, drink a glass of water and go. No time to sit around thinking about it.

I also have a programme and specific goals so I see the improvements and its all good.

Try to make it me time.

Have a simple routine but try leaving the phone and headphones behind you.

I'm enjoying the digital detox during my 3 or 4 trips to the gym a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Caffeine...ok this is slightly tongue in cheek..however the overwhelming majority of regular trainers I know use it in one form or another. whether that be a pre workout, coffee or whatever form..Just don’t over do it or take it too late in the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Try to make it me time.

Have a simple routine but try leaving the phone and headphones behind you.

I'm enjoying the digital detox during my 3 or 4 trips to the gym a week

Unfortunately both gyms I frequent (and most others Ive had one off sessions in), crank moronic music up so loud that my own headphones are an absolute necessity to block it out.

No chance of a digital detox - even in the pool in one past gym the frankly awful music was audible underwater resulting in my eventually buying a waterproof mp3 to blot it out. When that eventually failed I would just use the most decibel blocking earplugs possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Since I changed gyms, I am extremely motivated. In trying new things (drop sets etc) and going an extra day. I'm noticed some changes in my body when flexing in the mirror.

Also, with the new gym, I go with my cousin who is a beast who is the sort that gets pleasure from the pain.

Oh and the odd pre workout shot when not feeling energetic really helps (I know it's not "healthy" but sometimes it's just needed)

If I'm not with the cousin, I'll be blasting tunes on Spotify. They have loads of high tempo playlists with songs that get the adrenaline going.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Oh and the odd pre workout shot when not feeling energetic really helps (I know it's not "healthy" but sometimes it's just needed)

Coffee or whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Coffee or whiskey?

Both! Lol they're energy shots you can buy from any gyms vending machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

If you don't have any interest in it then I presume your motivation is based around being out of shape? If that is the case then changing your body should be motivation enough. On the advice of a reddit thread I was reading I took pictures before I started going regularly and maybe once every 2 weeks after. When you are going to the gym/eating healthy it is incredibly hard to see the changes day to day so often it feels like a grind where not much is happening but when you see pictures 3/6 months apart the changes are usually incredible.

When I get unmotivated, feel like I am not making progress I pull up those starting pictures and it is usually huge motivation to get my ass over to the gym.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

I use to only do Cardio in the gym. I use to hate going, and eventually, I stopped as it was so boring. I joined Flyefit in September and for the first time in my life, I only did weight training in the gym. I love it as I dod something different each time, and I feel stronger, and I can see progress as I'm able to lift heaviour.,

I still do cardio, but I can only do 10 - 15 minutes before I get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

If you still find the gym a chore...assuming you gave it a crack for a few months...then I would just find something else to do that you actually like.
    There are loads of alternatives that will keep you fit.
    I love the gym but it's an odd environment and not everyone's cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I fat-shame myself. It works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

For me, doing anything cardio related at the gym is a nightmare. Boring and tedious, I'd rather be outside in lashing rain running/cycling or whatever.

However, I go to the gym 3 days a week. I follow the stronglifts program and expect failure along the way. I track my progress and each session is a chance for 3 small successes. I find that looking at my stats and progrsssion is an amazing motivator.

Maybe track what you're doing and look back at your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

I find if you incorporate it into your day it helps.... gym is on the way home from work so it means I'm not going out of my way to travel to and from the gym a few days a week when I'm working that day. There's a 45 minute saving right there! Agree with those who mention doing something you enjoy or at least don't dread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I promise myself wine afterwards.

I also remind myself of how horrible I feel if I put on a couple of pounds.

I'm lucky though, my gym is in work, so I literally just have to walk downstairs. If I had to go to an actual other location there isn't a hope in hell I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

There was this program that was on RTÉ a few years ago, there was a doctor/ medical professional who'd go to someone's home to help them with their diet and fitness. Can't think of his name, I only remember that he had a grand head of blonde hair. Anyway when it came to the fitness part, he would help the person to see what type of activity they enjoyed doing, whether that was jogging, swimming, football, etc. It was about incorporating a physical activity that they would actually like to do, not out of a sense of duty.

I was very overweight before until I joined a sports club in college and lost weight in a few months going twice a week, as well as walking everywhere. I know you said you aren't the sporty type, but doing something like this might help. Or get advice or a personal assessment from the staff at the gym. I used to find the gym tedious but I enjoy it now when I knew how to use equipment, and followed a plan I googled online.

If you still find the gym a chore...assuming you gave it a crack for a few months...then I would just find something else to do that you actually like.
    There are loads of alternatives that will keep you fit.
    I love the gym but it's an odd environment and not everyone's cup of tea

The difficulty with this is that you are staying fit but rarely changing your body composition much. If for instance, you are doing Cardio. It is great to actually keep you cardiovascularly healthy but in terms of body composition yes you are losing fat but you are also losing muscle. You end up a much smaller version of yourself but maybe not with a hugely reduced body fat. Even worse your body now has a reduced BMR due to the reduction in lean mass which means you have to eat even less to maintain weight. It is how many people end up being skinny fat.

When people talk about losing weight what they should actually be referring to is losing body fat and not weight. A person can stay the same weight on the scale but over the course of a year lifting weights massively change body composition. This is why more and more women in the gym are lifting weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Bit of a straw man argument there.
    What I was getting at is that not everyone likes the gym so why be miserable in your free time.
    Boot camp, park runs, BJJ, cycling, walking, calisthenics..etc
    Plenty of ways to get fitter and stronger without the gym.

Bit of a straw man argument there.
    What I was getting at is that not everyone likes the gym so why be miserable in your free time.
    Boot camp, park runs, BJJ, cycling, walking, calisthenics..etc
    Plenty of ways to get fitter and stronger without the gym.

Callisthenics is a great alternative for a person starting out but can be very hard to add progression after a certain point. I actually started with body weight stuff and it was great as a base but once I moved beyond being able to do pull-ups, dips etc for a decent number of sets/reps I ended up spinning my wheels for a couple of months. Yes, you can add weight and make it more challenging but it is just far easier to progressively overload in the gym.

I wasn't trying to argue with you but just wanted to point out that general activity without some kind of resistance training is generally a bad approach to getting in shape. I agree that the activity should be something the person will stick to but from experience generally, the things I see people sticking to are the ones from which they can see results which are going to be resistance training of some kind.

Advertisement