Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading cctv cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Anyone have thoughts on something like this?

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/cat6outdoor100m/category-6-cable-outdoor-100m/dp/CB14780

I could in theory mount cameras on the garage and at the front gate using this, without the need to dig up concrete etc.

The only place I will have a route across the concrete is at a 1m section at the side of the house where there is a join in the concrete slabs. I'll be digging a track there and burying some duct for the broadband to come up the side of the house.

I could run a few 100m cat 6 cables out the same route and then bury them along the inside of the kerb stones to reach those hard to get places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Anyone have thoughts on something like this?

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/cat6outdoor100m/category-6-cable-outdoor-100m/dp/CB14780

I could in theory mount cameras on the garage and at the front gate using this, without the need to dig up concrete etc.

The only place I will have a route across the concrete is at a 1m section at the side of the house where there is a join in the concrete slabs. I'll be digging a track there and burying some duct for the broadband to come up the side of the house.

I could run a few 100m cat 6 cables out the same route and then bury them along the inside of the kerb stones to reach those hard to get places.

When burying the cables keep them protected inside electroflex or something like that. That would be fine.

Just dug out my original CCTV quote from years ago.

Current cameras from that installation are:
    *Qvis 1/3 3mp
    *20fps@3mp or 30fps @1080p
    *3.6mm fixed lens
    Max IR LED length 20m

How does that new system compare to it?

https://www.freetv.ie/ip-cctv-systems

Just dug out my original CCTV quote from years ago.

Current cameras from that installation are:
    *Qvis 1/3 3mp
    *20fps@3mp or 30fps @1080p
    *3.6mm fixed lens
    Max IR LED length 20m

How does that new system compare to it?

https://www.freetv.ie/ip-cctv-systems

3.6mm lens are too narrow to catch anything bar a door entrance/porch/hallway etc.

The IR on Qvis isnt great either.

In this day and age the lowest mp rating id go with would be 4. To be fair 3 even 2mp is still worth going for but the difference in price is small now compared to a few years ago.

That link isnt working.

Edit; link works in quoted post.

alta stare wrote: »
    In this day and age the lowest mp rating id go with would be 4. To be fair 3 even 2mp is still worth going for but the difference in price is small now compared to a few years ago.

Thanks. Can you get much higher than 4 without breaking the bank? The kit in that link is €640, is there a noticeable improvement if you go higher in mp? If I'm fitting it myself I could stretch closer to €1k as that was my budget for having a professional installation.

• Advertisement

There would be a difference but in my opinion why bother going higher than 4\5mp if it is only for a domestic setting? Also the higher the mp the lower the recording space obviously that is also dependant on the amount of cameras.

The kit you linked would be ideal for a domestic setting. You dont need to bust the bank for it either so i would not be over thinking what you want to do or spend.

Could you recommend a bullet style camera that would be compatible with that system?

I've measured up and its 60m from the recorder to the gate pillar so I'd like to put a camera down there facing the entrance.

I don't think the dome would work well for the location.

This would be my planned location.

475854.jpg

Looking towards the opposite pillar and the gate. Am I right in thinking that there are no legal reasons not to mount a camera there? It would probably capture a bit of the road going past.

Something like this maybe?
    https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hiwatch-by-hikvision-thc-b230-3mp-2-8mm-bullet-camera-2693.html

This would be my planned location.

475854.jpg

Looking towards the opposite pillar and the gate. Am I right in thinking that there are no legal reasons not to mount a camera there? It would probably capture a bit of the road going past.

Something like this maybe?
    https://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/hiwatch-by-hikvision-thc-b230-3mp-2-8mm-bullet-camera-2693.html

Sorry i may be picking you up wrong but is it on the piller that you want to put the bullet?

Sorry i may be picking you up wrong but is it on the piller that you want to put the bullet?

Yes, x marks the spot.

• Advertisement

I can run cable down to the pillar and up the side, around the underside of the pillar top and then mount the camera at the X.

Will it not be too close to the gate? Why would you not put a turrett at the front of the pillar? Also are you going to leave the cable exposed???

Cable would be ducted up to the point of installation.

Mounted on the top corner of the pillar, the gate shouldn't get in the way. I don't fancy a turret there for a few reasons. I don't want the neighbours to feel uncomfortable thinking that they're being watched all the way up the road if they're walking by. Whereas a bullet aimed only at the entrance isn't so intimidating.

Also it would be a bit more of an eyesore mounted on the outside of the pillar rather than tucked away on the inside.

Cable would be ducted up to the point of installation.

Mounted on the top corner of the pillar, the gate shouldn't get in the way. I don't fancy a turret there for a few reasons. I don't want the neighbours to feel uncomfortable thinking that they're being watched all the way up the road if they're walking by. Whereas a bullet aimed only at the entrance isn't so intimidating.

Also it would be a bit more of an eyesore mounted on the outside of the pillar rather than tucked away on the inside.

A bullet would look out of place on the piller. Also the camera type ie bullet or turret is irrelevant regarding how far up the road it sees. Its the lens not the body which looks up the road. I think you might regret putting a bullet on your pier. It will stick out like a sore thumb.

A bullet would look out of place on the piller. Also the camera type ie bullet or turret is irrelevant regarding how far up the road it sees. Its the lens not the body which looks up the road.

You and I know that, but a neighbour walking up the road would not know if they're being watched or not.

Country folk are funny about such things.

I suppose I could put a turret on the inside of the pillar where the x is. A bit less intrusive.

You and I know that, but a neighbour walking up the road would not know if they're being watched or not.

Country folk are funny about such things.

I suppose I could put a turret on the inside of the pillar where the x is. A bit less intrusive.

Would your neighbours really give a toss? A 2.8mm lens would be ideal for your gate area as it will also catch the area in front of your gate. I wouldnt be worrying about your neighbours. You are rural arent you so its not like your camera will be intruding directly onto someone elses property.

If you have a bullet sticking out off that pier it will be very noticeable and in fact it could be vandalised far quicker than a turret. Trust me a bullet on your gate pier is a bad idea.

Also i forgot to mention in my previous posts to make sure and get some back boxes for the cameras so the connections can be housed. The HIK range have nice tidy back boxes.

I'll only need that box for the gate one won't I? The ones on the house will be mounted on the soffit so the cables will be in the roof space.

I'll only need that box for the gate one won't I? The ones on the house will be mounted on the soffit so the cables will be in the roof space.

Yep. Or a junction box will do. The back boxes are better though.

CCTV kit arrived today, I'll get a play around with it later.

In the meantime, the installer who previously quoted me for Dahua 700tvl analogue cameras, has now come back and offered me an "upgrade" vs-406snh-2

Unless I'm badly mistaken, isn't that just a different brand, but still a 700tvl analogue camera? In fact from googling it only seems to be a 540tvl but his quote states 700.

• Advertisement

In the meantime, the installer who previously quoted me for Dahua 700tvl analogue cameras, has now come back and offered me an "upgrade" vs-406snh-2

Unless I'm badly mistaken, isn't that just a different brand, but still a 700tvl analogue camera? In fact from googling it only seems to be a 540tvl but his quote states 700.

Tell him to ride off into the sunset on his horse like the good cowboy he is.

Finally unboxed the gear and had a play around.

Good news is that the basic functions are very easy. I plugged 2 cameras in (just sitting in the living room) and they automatically set up and allowed me to start recording.

I'm hoping to actually install the system over the weekend. I will most definitely need assistance with networking but I'll come back to that.

I've ordered an outdoor cat5e cable, to connect the proposed camera down by the gate. Also ordered a junction box for that cam. I'll be storing the NVR up in the attic but I've got a long hdmi cable and a USB extension for the mouse so I can access it from the office. A lock box was also on the shopping list so that everything can be well secured up in the attic.

A few more questions now.

1 - if I have 6 cameras recording at full resolution, the installed 1TB hdd won't give me very much so I'm going to add more memory. Are there particular hard drives that can be used with this NVR? The booklet says to use a Hikvision approved hdd but it doesn't confirm what kind. Also the website listing says that I can add up to 1X6TB hdd. Does that mean there is only room for 1 expansion? And does that mean the max is 6TB but I can add less, like a single 3TB hdd?

2 - are there any useful YouTube guides/channels etc that can talk me through the installation? I'm about a month away from getting fibre in so I'm probably pretty limited in terms of what I can stream to app etc but I will need to set up remote access at some stage.

Thanks again!

Also, I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting or something but I hung one of the cameras out the window to get an idea of the night vision quality and it was pretty terrible.

476261.jpg

476260.jpg

Compare that to something like this, which is only a 2mp camera...
    https://youtu.be/POtelN1FeZ4

And something doesn't seem right.

Finally unboxed the gear and had a play around.

Good news is that the basic functions are very easy. I plugged 2 cameras in (just sitting in the living room) and they automatically set up and allowed me to start recording.

I'm hoping to actually install the system over the weekend. I will most definitely need assistance with networking but I'll come back to that.

I've ordered an outdoor cat5e cable, to connect the proposed camera down by the gate. Also ordered a junction box for that cam. I'll be storing the NVR up in the attic but I've got a long hdmi cable and a USB extension for the mouse so I can access it from the office. A lock box was also on the shopping list so that everything can be well secured up in the attic.

A few more questions now.

1 - if I have 6 cameras recording at full resolution, the installed 1TB hdd won't give me very much so I'm going to add more memory. Are there particular hard drives that can be used with this NVR? The booklet says to use a Hikvision approved hdd but it doesn't confirm what kind. Also the website listing says that I can add up to 1X6TB hdd. Does that mean there is only room for 1 expansion? And does that mean the max is 6TB but I can add less, like a single 3TB hdd?

2 - are there any useful YouTube guides/channels etc that can talk me through the installation? I'm about a month away from getting fibre in so I'm probably pretty limited in terms of what I can stream to app etc but I will need to set up remote access at some stage.

Thanks again!

Why are you recording at full resolution?? No need. Drop it down.

If you are going to buy a HD you can use any sata drive but a surveillance drive would be best.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting or something but I hung one of the cameras out the window to get an idea of the night vision quality and it was pretty terrible.

476261.jpg

476260.jpg

Compare that to something like this, which is only a 2mp camera...
    https://youtu.be/POtelN1FeZ4

And something doesn't seem right.

First thing id look at there is your resolution.

First thing id look at there is your resolution.

I'm probably being thick but why would dropping the resolution improve the picture? I thought the highest res would be the best?

This is a picture from my current system.

476265.jpg

PS needless to say these are photos taken of a screen so some quality is lost. Also that shot of the new camera with me standing outside was on a 60" TV.

But neither my old cams nor new ones are anywhere near the quality of that YouTube video.

Also (excuse my stupidity) but I see a lot of sites mention the speed of my broadband as an issue. Is that just for when viewing remotely?

My Internet is horrible at the minute but I'll be upgrading soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also (excuse my stupidity) but I see a lot of sites mention the speed of my broadband as an issue. Is that just for when viewing remotely?

My Internet is horrible at the minute but I'll be upgrading soon.

Images tend to be compressed for remote viewing. My system has an option to increase resolution on the client side when viewing remote but it needs decent data both ends.

In terms of image quality. Im unimpressed with what you posted above , it may be a case of playing around with Image resolution for each camera. But that image is much worse than my Amazon system that i bought 2 years ago on a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why are you recording at full resolution?? No need. Drop it down.

If you are going to buy a HD you can use any sata drive but a surveillance drive would be best.

Why wouldnt you record at full resolution. You are not keeping the footage it gets overwritten. Surely you would want the highest quality image stored. for playback ???

Advertisement