Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey protein.

Options
  • 25-01-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have never used whey protein before so apologies. Have been reading and I see they can be taken at any time really during the day......breakfast time, pre workout, post workout, between meals, just before bed etc

Let’s say this is scenario

Go to gym at 6pm or so.
    Do a warmup on bike or rower etc
    and then do weights.
    Then immediately after this, take the whey protein shake
    Drive home and 30 minutes later have a meal (tuna etc)

Is this too soon to have the meal?
    Or is a meal even needed for another couple of hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

Have never used whey protein before so apologies. Have been reading and I see they can be taken at any time really during the day......breakfast time, pre workout, post workout, between meals, just before bed etc

Let’s say this is scenario

Go to gym at 6pm or so.
    Do a warmup on bike or rower etc
    and then do weights.
    Then immediately after this, take the whey protein shake
    Drive home and 30 minutes later have a meal (tuna etc)

Is this too soon to have the meal?
    Or is a meal even needed for another couple of hours

Ideally, you'd get your protein equally spaced throughout the day.

No need to worry about how soon after a workout you have it but I would either have the whey protein or meal when you get home and have protein shake another time if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Ideally, you'd get your protein equally spaced throughout the day.

No need to worry about how soon after a workout you have it but I would either have the whey protein or meal when you get home and have protein shake another time if necessary

Thanks for reply.

Are you making a difference between “whey protein” and “protein shake” ?

Thanks for reply.

Are you making a difference between “whey protein” and “protein shake” ?

No. Most people put whey protein and milk/water in a drinking container and shake at voila, a protein shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Food is food, protein is protein.

The reasons to take whey are that it's handy, easy to horse down you, and can be quite cheap.

Wouldn't worry about having to or avoiding eating right after workout. There's the "mega boost to muscle building by eating protein right after workout. grrr!" guff but it doesn't seem to be based on much and is probably just marketing.

Personally I do, I find I get quite hungry about an hour or so later otherwise. Try different things and see what suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

They say there is a 'window' after your workout that using a protein shake is 'more' benifical.

Would make sense, tearing muscle down it wants to build it back up, demand on protein would increase.

However people go hell for leather with the things! Do the calculations, see how much you need to be taking in, see if your food your eating enoght protein and supplement accordingly.

It's also recommend to have a shake prior to gym also about 2 hrs before.

The main name of the game here to make sure overall your protein intake is the right amount in your macros. If your eating 100g more protein than needed. Either will either end up as waste, end up as fat or burnt up. You'll still need a mix of 'good' fats and quality carbs in your system and reaching correct macros accordingly too.

• Advertisement

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Food is food, protein is protein.

The reasons to take whey are that it's handy, easy to horse down you, and can be quite cheap.

Wouldn't worry about having to or avoiding eating right after workout. There's the "mega boost to muscle building by eating protein right after workout. grrr!" guff but it doesn't seem to be based on much and is probably just marketing.

Personally I do, I find I get quite hungry about an hour or so later otherwise. Try different things and see what suits.

I think it's a bit of a fad too. However, maybe coincidence here but I had an awful case of shin splits in my legs. Really sorry, then I had my morning protein shake and the pain just went.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a fad too. However, maybe coincidence here but I had an awful case of shin splits in my legs. Really sorry, then I had my morning protein shake and the pain just went.

Protein is a fad?

Protein is a fad?

Yeah it's a fad????? Protein. Is that a serious question.

Did you read my other post?

Yeah it's a fad????? Protein. Is that a serious question.

What we're you referring to as being a fad?

What we're you referring to as being a fad?

The window after working out or exercise.

Happy to read any experiments on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Interesting thing about protein recently in the Guardian, about the extremes of focusing on it to the exclusion of everything else and how obsession with protein is a bit of a fad (as opposed to it being part of a balanced diet).
    podcast
    text

Ah. It wasn't clear to what you were referring. It's not altogether unusual to hear protein is a fad sometimes...

Ah. It wasn't clear to what you were referring. It's not altogether unusual to hear protein is a fad sometimes...

No worries. I think excessive amounts of intakes even past what a high protein diet would call for is just unneeded. Along with just totally ignoring other macros, plus knowledge on the protein quality etc..

The main thing is to find out how much is recommended you take in based on weight, height, age, gender and your goals. It will throw out a figure, hit that target, do same for carbs and fats. Then make sure the source of protein, carbs and fats are clean, good quality sources. I wouldn't neglected your micros either, using supplements or ideally fruits and vegetables.

No worries. I think excessive amounts of intakes even past what a high protein diet would call for is just unneeded. Along with just totally ignoring other macros, plus knowledge on the protein quality etc..

The main thing is to find out how much is recommended you take in based on weight, height, age, gender and your goals. It will throw out a figure, hit that target, do same for carbs and fats. Then make sure the source of protein, carbs and fats are clean, good quality sources. I wouldn't neglected your micros either, using supplements or ideally fruits and vegetables.

Hi

You mention “micros” and “macros”
    Is this a typo between the 2 words?

What do they mean?

Hi

What do they mean?

Macronutrients = carbohydrates, fats, protein.

Micronutrients = vitamins and minerals that are needed in much smaller quantities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hi

What do they mean?

Micros are vitamins and minerals.

Macros are carbs, protein and fat. Also alcohol but that shouldn't be much part of a healthy diet. Do as I say not as I do :D

Silly question. See attached file. What is the honeycomb grill bit for (the yellow part)?

Do you leave in shaker before putting in the whey protein? And then it acts to breaks up the whey protein?

Silly question. See attached file. What is the honeycomb grill bit for (the yellow part)?

Do you leave in shaker before putting in the whey protein? And then it acts to breaks up the whey protein a bit?

Add whey and milk/water to container, put on grid and lid, then shake.

It's to help break up lumps.

Some (stupid) containers also have a little wore ball to so the same job.

Add whey and milk/water to container, put on grid and lid, then shake.

It's to help break up lumps.

Some (stupid) containers also have a little wore ball to so the same job.

Oh ok. Does it actually work?

• Advertisement

Oh ok. Does it actually work?

You shake the bottle and it breaks up lumps. Would it hurt to just assemble the shaker and use as directed?

You shake the bottle and it breaks up lumps. Would it hurt to just assemble the shaker and use as directed?

I don’t have a shaker bottle yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah. The window is largely overstated. And makes little digestive sense..
    Whoever brought that up probably doesn't really know what they're talking about.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah. The world die is largely overstated. And makes little digestive sense..
    Whoever brought that up probably doesn't really know what they're talking about.

What do you mean by “the world die”

What do you mean by “the world die”

Should have said window. Typo/Autocorrect

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah. The window is largely overstated. And makes little digestive sense..

Ok so your saying to try and get protein in to you relatively soon after working out?

Ok so your saying to try and get protein in to you relatively soon after working out?
    I'm saying idea of an anabolic protein window is overstated.

What do seasoned users think is the more practical for their protein.

The tub or the hard plastic bag?

The tub if I'm going to be throwing it around. Other than that, it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

The bag is a great space saver if your presses are already full of crap like mine!

Advertisement