Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How not to cycle past a horse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Lumen wrote: »
    Its helicopter is in for a service?

They should mention that on their website all they mention is the following

Upper Yard is located at Grange Hill Farm nestled in the beautiful surroundings of the Cotswolds. It’s easy to see why Fergal is so enthusiastic as the facilities are second-to-none with:

53 newly refurbished stables

Office and owners room

2 all weather gallops, both against the collar

Five flights of hurdles and fences on grass gallops

A horse walker

Equine swimming pool

On-site veterinary care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yer woman on the horse has "priority" over some gimp in a td[c]iiiiiii[/c]

Does “driver” legally mean a cyclist? Genuine question as I don’t know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »
    Whatever about the thoughtlessness, the lack of self preservation instinct is amazing.

I pass horses on the extreme right whilst freewheeling so they can hear me coming. Calling out seems excessive.

It really isn't. If you're on a young horse you're going to be very grateful of the notice of cyclists behind you - and prepare for the the possible imminent sideways/upwards movement of your mount. It doesn't have to be loud, you shouldn't ever shout, but it makes things a lot easier to make yourself known. Riding horses isn't a quiet activity, although it might look like it!

sin_26 wrote: »
    Yeah every1 are so quick to judge and call out guys but all riding in the group know that if one lad on the front screw things up it will make a pile behind eventually. It`s probably the one on the front fcuked up with giving information about hazards

Nope, I have never been in a race where I've missed a massive obstacle - in fact a few weeks ago was coming into a finish of a bunch sprint and marshalls had allowed a car to go down, which stopped 150m from the line. None of us managed to go into it, although admittedly it was a near run thing. I've never been in a bunch and not seen traffic coming the other way.
    Everyone is responsible for looking ahead of them.
    It wasn't anywhere near a tight racing bunch, they have eyes that see, although in this case blinded by near and total ignorance.
    Most of the cyclists in that video didn't do anything wrong; one or two idiots flying up the inside and colliding with the horse/carriage did.

Slow down if necessary, and give plenty of room as always, same as overtaking any vehicle on the road. Asking the rider if it's ok to pass is taking the piss however.

Every single one of them did something extremely inexcusably dangerous. Passing horses at that speed with no warning is potentially lethal, and that is no exaggeration. I thought the first two were the point of the video, and couldn't believe it would get any more thick, ignorant and outright dangerous. Then, somewhat incredibly it did.

It is always, ALWAYS necessary 100% of the time when encountering a horse(s) on the road to slow down to an almost stop, make yourself known to the rider(s) and only proceed when they're happy for you to do so.

I'd love to put those saying you don't need to make yourself known/slow down for horses on a 3 year old out on the road for the first time. Fcuk sake.

As cyclists we ask that drivers have a little empathy towards us, to have some consideration and not drive in such a way as to endanger our lives. Drivers frequently fail to understand how vulnerable we are in certain situations. That cyclists can't extend the same curtesy to another road user boggles my mind. It boggles my mind that people have to be told how to cycle by horses anyway*, but that's another thing. I've enlightened several in my own club, once they are told they understand. Anyone reading this thread now knows better. Not slowing the fcuk down and waiting to pass until acknowledged when coming up on horses from either direction is wilfully ignorant.

*ETA: This is a little unfair as not everyone will have encountered horses or indeed any animals on the road, or had any dealings with large animals at all. Now they know what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Afaik a person in charge of animals can stop traffic if they are on the road, I assume traffic means everything walkers cyclist and cars etc. Common sense. You can control your vehicle or bike. While most animals being moved on the road are controlled, in terms of direction of travel, in close contact unpredictability is a given particularly large animals like horses where a kick could injure someone or damage a car or in this case dismount the rider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm actually surprised none of them got kicked or injured. They all cycled way too close to the horse, that if the horse spooked at something in the hedge, any one of them could have been flattened. How the ones that cycled in a herd around the horse didn't get kicked, I don't know. That is one very quiet and sensible horse for tolerating it as well as it did.

I had a horse gallop about a mile down a road because a cyclist snuck up behind it and then didn't bother stopping. When the horse spun around to check where the cyclist went, he tried to cycle behind the horse on a narrow country road... which resulted in me asking (admittedly yelling) him if he had a death wish.

I mean, it's not just for the sake of the horse and rider, but for the cyclist's sake too. A cyclist's head is in a very nice kicking position for most horses. A kick in the head from a horse will kill you. It takes just a minute to stop and think about the situation. A horse is far less likely to spook if there's no sudden noises or something suddenly doesn't enter into their field of vision. They also spook at new things. Positive experiences with a cyclist will mean the horse will likely stay as calm as it was at the start of the video. One negative experience (such as the end of the video) may put a horse off cyclists for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You serious! It's a bloody HORSE not a pothole! I suspect they were cycling with their heads down and were not looking ahead.

Once you try real racing you will understand how serious i am not to mention proper group ride. But yeah... It`s a horse in the middle of RACING. Blame racers for racing... not organiser...meh...

Like here:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/video-horrifying-headon-collision-at-finishing-line-leads-to-17-cyclists-being-hospitalised-34217158.html

Stupid idiots havn`t seen other idiots aproaching. Blame racers <----logic?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Afaik a person in charge of animals can stop traffic if they are on the road, I assume traffic means everything walkers cyclist and cars etc. Common sense. You can control your vehicle or bike. While most animals being moved on the road are controlled, in terms of direction of travel, in close contact unpredictability is a given particularly large animals like horses where a kick could injure someone or damage a car or in this case dismount the rider

Came up recently enough on the thread here, from what I recall even someone moving cattle or sheep has this right. I can understand why for all involved.

As stupid as the cyclists were I can't understand why horses are allowed on public roads. If an animal get's scared of loud and sudden noises then the road is not a place for them.

Horse were on the road before a every other form of transport (bar walking). They have as much right to be there as anyone or anything else. Sure why are cyclists allowed in the road? Why are people allowed to walk on the road? Why are children allowed to walk on the road? They're all more vulnerable than motor traffic. :rolleyes:
    They should mention that on their website all they mention is the following

Upper Yard is located at Grange Hill Farm nestled in the beautiful surroundings of the Cotswolds. It’s easy to see why Fergal is so enthusiastic as the facilities are second-to-none with:

53 newly refurbished stables

Office and owners room

2 all weather gallops, both against the collar

Five flights of hurdles and fences on grass gallops

A horse walker

Equine swimming pool

On-site veterinary care

And your point is? They have as much right to be on the road as any one or anything else. They were there before motorised traffic hit the road. It's also an important part of their education to do roadwork, and is often part of varying routine, and also part of strengthening up legs when bringing in horses at the start of a season.

As stupid as the cyclists were I can't understand why horses are allowed on public roads. If an animal get's scared of loud and sudden noises then the road is not a place for them.

Should cyclists be on the road because they wobble and hold up cars? I mean, of all people to be critical of another vulnerable road user being on the roads, I would have thought cyclists would be one of the last due to the similarities.

Horses can be trained to be quiet on the road. Roadwork has many many benefits for the horse, which is why it gets used (and we have no bridle paths). However, this must be trained with positive experiences, and lots of them. The more a horse uses the road, the more used to it it gets.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If you are a road user just like in a car or on motorbikes you watch where you are going and if you see a horse act as people have said.

Do some people ride on the road and need to be told what is ahead of them.?

Do some people know what is the difference between causally spinning to bar for coffee and muffin and a RACE?

Do some people know what is the difference between causally spinning to bar for coffee and muffin and a RACE?

There's not a single racing bunch I've been in where you wouldn't notice a horse up in front of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

nee wrote: »
    Horse were on the road before a every other form of transport (bar walking). They have as much right to be there as anyone or anything else. Sure why are cyclists allowed in the road? Why are people allowed to walk on the road? Why are children allowed to walk on the road? They're all more vulnerable than motor traffic. :rolleyes:

And your point is? They have as much right to be on the road as any one or anything else. They were there before motorised traffic hit the road. It's also an important part of their education to do roadwork, and is often part of varying routine, and also part of strengthening up legs when bringing in horses at the start of a season.

So there's no helicopter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's no difference if the road isn't closed off and properly marshalled. If anything there should be an obligation for increased awareness as you're doing something out of the norm on a public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Race or not, it was a triathlon run on open roads. If participants can't carry on with a bit of cop on on open roads (which was probably made abundantly clear) that's a quick way of getting all such events sh*tcanned.

There's not a single racing bunch I've been in where you wouldn't notice a horse up in front of you.

And how many horses you did noticed then...? How often you did face horse once you race? Sorry but me once in the bunch had other things to keep an eye on than horse on the front xD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno much about racing but unless the road is closed to all traffic then there's no excuse really

And how many horses you did noticed then...? How often you did face horse once you race? Sorry but me once in the bunch had other things to keep an eye on than horse on the front xD.

Why do you keep missing the point that this was a no draft triathlon, so group riding should not have been a consideration???

cython wrote: »
    Race or not, it was a triathlon run on open roads. If participants can't carry on with a bit of cop on on open roads (which was probably made abundantly clear) that's a quick way of getting all such events sh*tcanned.

Once time has been counted it was race and this opens different doors in the real athletes heads. Event has been wrongly done as if they measure time they should close the road or let them spin casually otherwise.

ORGANISERS FAULT sorry...

Why do you keep missing the point that this was a no draft triathlon, so group riding should not have been a consideration???

Why do you miss the point that one cyclist actually smashes horse trying to overtake from left. You doing it on purpose or in the emergency situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

It is always, ALWAYS necessary 100% of the time when encountering a horse(s) on the road to slow down to an almost stop, make yourself known to the rider(s) and only proceed when they're happy for you to do so.
    No. That's being ridiculous. All road users should be given sufficient space on the road, and a lot of the overtaking manoeuvres in that video were quite poor, one or two being dangerous and inexcusable. But what you have outlined above as a required practice is completely nuts. If you're so adamant that that is what's required when overtaking a horse, then it's an excellent argument for horses not being allowed on the road frankly. When overtaking a horse, you slow down and give plenty of space both going past and pulling back in. It's not rocket science. And it's certainly not necessary to behave as you've described above.

• Advertisement

So there's no helicopter??

They're only for Monday's to Thursday's. :D

I have never been in a race and came upon a horse on the road in fairness. But I have never been in a bunch and not noticed traffic coming up the other side, or as per my example mentioned in a previous post, even spotted a car 150m before the line in a bunch sprint. I miraculously maintain the ability to look up and the retain the ability to see when I race :P
    These people were triathletes and weren't even in a bunch, which is simply incomprehensible to me. Fcuking triathletes. They're not even real cyclists* :pac:

*jk

This heat should be taken to the triathlete forum :pac:

Why do you miss the point that one cyclist actually smashes horse trying to overtake from left. You doing it on purpose or in the emergency situation?

I'm not missing that, but you're the one espousing irrelevant "wisdom" about group riding in an event which bans it. Or maybe it's the organisers' fault too for inadequate policing of that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why is the horse on the road anyway?

The bus was full and the chickens were taking up the footpad on the other side.

Odd question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why are cars allowed on roads? they kill hundreds of people every year. the road is not a place for them, they should be limited to private property.

No. That's being ridiculous. All road users should be given sufficient space on the road, and a lot of the overtaking manoeuvres in that video were quite poor, one or two being dangerous and inexcusable. But what you have outlined above as a required practice is completely nuts. If you're so adamant that that is what's required when overtaking a horse, then it's an excellent argument for horses not being allowed on the road frankly. When overtaking a horse, you slow down and give plenty of space both going past and pulling back in. It's not rocket science. And it's certainly not necessary to behave as you've described above.

Every single overtake in that video was dangerous. It is obvious to me that you have little to no experience of horses, less of them on the road. You have been lucky with that attitude to have only encountered experienced and steady animals on the road, or just kept going and missed the cartwheels happening behind.

Horses have every right to be on the road. They were there before all forms of motorised transport. They just requite a little consideration. I can't think of a single situation where slowing down and making myself known to riders up in front of me is too much effort, difficult or impossible to do. Not a single one.
    You would do well to spend a little time around large animals, maybe even have a go for a ride yourself to help with your understanding.

Once time has been counted it was race and this opens different doors in the real athletes heads. Event has been wrongly done as if they measure time they should close the road or let them spin casually otherwise.

ORGANISERS FAULT sorry...

So given the amount of cycle races, triathlons, duathlons and adventure races where road closures are either unattainable, or will bump entry fees into the high hundreds of euro, you're happy to basically kill off events involving competitive cycling except at perhaps the elite levels? How forward thinking of you!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Triathlon?

I think we found the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I am new to cycling and have mostly gone out with experienced people. Now there is zero training offered for a person that I know of that allows people to do some sort of training so they can cycle either to commute or recreationally on the road. I did contact the RSA about this as they have huge funding. I think most people want to do the right thing as no puts their lives in danger also. I am shocked that no one ever links to the cyclist training videos series. Is there any? Sorry if I am wrong but education is needed for both sides and I know very little on the correct things to do on a bike other than what I know from driving. People should not be just be learning the hard way.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Triathlon?

I think we found the problem

Absolutely, that was my first contribution to the thread! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So given the amount of cycle races, triathlons, duathlons and adventure races where road closures are either unattainable, or will bump entry fees into the high hundreds of euro, you're happy to basically kill off events involving competitive cycling except at perhaps the elite levels? How forward thinking of you!

This event charges £100 per entry. I would hazard a guess that the race organiser just wanted to make money so cut back on marshalling/signage/road closures.
    I would lay quite a portion of the blame to organisers. Not to try excuse the behaviour of the two who undertook.

• Advertisement

Why is it nuts, and how is it an excellent argument for not allowing horses on the road? Thus far, the argument has been "they shouldn't be allowed because they inconvenience me" which I would have thought cyclists would have a little bit more understanding of. In much the same way cyclists should be overtaken wide in case of a wobble, a rider may need to be asked if their horse is safe to overtake. The horse has the right of way here. In doesn't take very long to be safe and often it's a case where the horse is fine. It's the one that's not that makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

rom wrote: »
    I am new to cycling and have mostly gone out with experienced people. Now there is zero training offered for a person that I know of that allows people to do some sort of training so they can cycle either to commute or recreationally on the road. I did contact the RSA about this as they have huge funding. I think most people want to do the right thing as no puts their lives in danger also. I am shocked that no one ever links to the cyclist training videos series. Is there any? Sorry if I am wrong but education is needed for both sides and I know very little on the correct things to do on a bike other than what I know from driving. People should not be just be learning the hard way.

But you drive and therefore presumably read the ROTR, which has sections on animals for as long as I remember. Plus common sense plays a massive part. People shouldn't need to be spoon-fed cop on.

This event charges £100 per entry. I would hazard a guess that the race organiser just wanted to make money so cut back on marshalling/signage/road closures.

That may well be the case here, I admittedly only checked the legality of drafting and not the entry fee, but I still feel the point RE the likes of open racing, club leagues, etc. in general still stands.

Hurrache wrote: »
    But you drive and therefore presumably read the ROTR, which has sections on animals for as long as I remember. Plus common sense plays a massive part. People shouldn't need to be spoon-fed cop on.

I think there should definitely have the resources out there for education though, even if they're optional. Just about every road user (including horse riders) have it. Even pedestrians have the "stop, look, listen, live" thing.

Why is it nuts, and how is it an excellent argument for not allowing horses on the road? Thus far, the argument has been "they shouldn't be allowed because they inconvenience me" which I would have thought cyclists would have a little bit more understanding of. In much the same way cyclists should be overtaken wide in case of a wobble, a rider may need to be asked if their horse is safe to overtake. The horse has the right of way here. In doesn't take very long to be safe and often it's a case where the horse is fine. It's the one that's not that makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

Just to say not all cyclists are advocating this, in fact just the poster in your post. You will find the majority of the cyclists posting in this thread do not follow that way of thinking.

It's important not to tar everyone with the same brush. Cyclists aren't one conglomerate bunch, we're all individuals who happen to cycle, in the same way one motorist doesn't represent all motorists, and even one triathlete represents all triathletes.

I would lay quite a portion of the blame to organisers. Not to try excuse the behaviour of the two who undertook.

Why? We've all been in events on open roads and know not to be dicks, that goes without saying. What is usually said though is that road traffic laws apply and you must adhere to them. Only people to blame are those on the bikes, I find it bizarre that people are trying to put some on the organisers.

Every single overtake in that video was dangerous.
    Nonsense. Most of them were fine, as is evidenced by the video.
    Horses have every right to be on the road. They were there before all forms of motorised transport. They just requite a little consideration. I can't think of a single situation where slowing down and making myself known to riders up in front of me is too much effort, difficult or impossible to do. Not a single one.
    You would do well to spend a little time around large animals, maybe even have a go for a ride yourself to help with your understanding.
    Of course horses have every right to be on the road. Though as mentioned, you're making a hell of an argument for horses not being allowed on the road.

Just to say not all cyclists are advocating this, in fact just the poster in your post. You will find the majority of the cyclists posting in this thread do not follow that way of thinking.

It's important not to tar everyone with the same brush. Cyclists aren't one conglomerate bunch, we're all individuals who happen to cycle, in the same way one motorist doesn't represent all motorists, and even one triathlete represents all triathletes.

Absolutely, but it's still hypocritical for any cyclist to want to ban another road user because they are inconvenient.

Though as mentioned, you're making a hell of an argument for horses not being allowed on the road.

Doesn't at all. And if you think all those passes were fine you have a problem.

• Advertisement

None of them were fine. Every single one of them cyclists were putting themselves in a very dangerous situation. It just so happened that this horse was sensible.

Except they weren't. They were lucky they dangerously overtook an extremely calm and steady horse.

Of course horses have every right to be on the road. Though as mentioned, you're making a hell of an argument for horses not being allowed on the road.

I'm doing the exact opposite. I am asking for people to have a little consideration and understanding. You can pass horses safely. It is possible to pass them unsafely. Ignorance is the only excuse for passing horses unsafely, as with all passes in that video.

Sorry, but having to ask the permission of another road user to perform an overtaking manoeuvre as a standard practice in all situations is nuts. And it would be similarly nuts if it were required for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists or motor vehicles. As already acknowledged, some of the behaviour in that video is incredibly dangerous and inexcusable. Most of it isn't.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't at all. And if you think all those passes were fine you have a problem.
    As said repeatedly, they weren't all fine.

rom wrote: »

The RSA would never tell you stuff like taking the lane in certain situations and how not to be left hooked but stuff like that is vital and unfortunately is left for many to figure out for themselves. The best you can hope for from the RSA is wear a helmet and high vis and you'll be grand.

Sorry, but having to ask the permission of another road user to perform an overtaking manoeuvre as a standard practice in all situations is nuts. And it would be similarly nuts if it were required for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists or motor vehicles. As already acknowledged, some of the behaviour in that video is incredibly dangerous and inexcusable. Most of it isn't.

You might want to have a read of the stature book:

"
    PART V. ANIMALS ON ROADS.

30 Driver's duty when passing animals

30. A driver meeting or overtaking an animal on a road shall either reduce speed or halt the vehicle, if requested to do so (whether by signal or otherwise) by a person in charge of the animal."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

So the only traffic allowed on the road are ones you don't have to consider or be inconvenienced by?

An extremely dangerous attitude to have on the roads, I really hope you never come across a novice horse or rider for the sake of theirs and your own safety.

• Advertisement

No, all of it was dangerous.

You have made no argument for actually banning horses on the road, other than it's not as easy as overtaking another car or pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That might be your opinion, but it's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

"

30. A driver meeting or overtaking an animal on a road shall either reduce speed or halt the vehicle, if requested to do so (whether by signal or otherwise) by a person in charge of the animal."

So the only traffic allowed on the road are ones you don't have to consider or be inconvenienced by?

An extremely dangerous attitude to have on the roads, I really hope you never come across a novice horse or rider for the sake of theirs and your own safety.

I asked earlier but it probably got lost. Is a cyclist considered a “driver” in the stature book?

Sorry, but having to ask the permission of another road user to perform an overtaking manoeuvre as a standard practice in all situations is nuts. And it would be similarly nuts if it were required for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists or motor vehicles.

Straw man. It doesn't apply to any of those situations you outline.

Your attitude here is odd given you only cried out for consideration and for the safety of cyclists in another thread within the last hour

No, all of it was dangerous.
    No, it wasn't. Stop being so dramatic.
    You have made no argument for actually banning horses on the road, other than it's not as easy as overtaking another car or pedestrian.
    That's true.

"

Indeed. And did you see any such request in the video, or was there even a suggestion of same?
    Not sure what this relates to.
    And likewise I hope you never have the power to enforce your crazy requirements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement