Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So it seems Rune has been released onto Steam, interesting news after this article talking about how Human Head are considering a sequel.

Sidenote: Go buy Rune, it's great fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Australia has finally lifted the ban on R18 games. Queue a load of aussies killing prossies to get their money back and then blaming games and winning!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354159/breakthrough-as-australia-ends-ban-on-r18-games/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Australia has finally lifted the ban on R18 games. Queue a load of aussies killing prossies to get their money back and then blaming games and winning!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354159/breakthrough-as-australia-ends-ban-on-r18-games/

Oh no...what will happen to poor poor Australia now, since it was such a peaceful, non-violent place before and now will be infested with violent games,the [i[sole[/i] reason for all crimes over the past 4 centuries according to most mainstream press.....

Its terrible Joe...wont someone think of the children :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is this Microsoft thing being streamed anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Varik wrote: »
    Is this Microsoft thing being streamed anywhere?

Its for a tablet isn't it?
    Who cares tbh

GTR63 wrote: »
    Its for a tablet isn't it?
    Who cares tbh
    Before watching it I would have said "anyone with an interest in technology" but after watching it I wouldn't have replied because I'd be too busy throwing money at the screen.

To be honest though, it's quite odd being in that situation after an MS conference of any kind. :o

So, looks like Activision have closed down Radical Entertainment.

Sad to see them go, not only for the 200 odd folk now unemployed but for the fact that they made fun as hell games. I got tens of hours of kick ass entertainment from both the Prototype series and Hulk:UD. Treadstone had been looking pretty damn interesting too but alas, it wasn't to be. :(

I think the price tag of PS4 just went up!

Sony has bought cloud gaming service Gaikai for $380 million. The move, according to Sony Entertainment’s president and group CEO Andrew House, will offer gamers an “unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences”:

“By combining Gaikai’s resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE’s extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences. SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices.”

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/07/02/its-official-sony-buys-gaikai/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Total War: Rome 2 set for next year!

Can't wait for this!

600x-1

• Advertisement

Interesting post-mortem over on Gamasutra on the utter cluster**** that was the development of Homefront at Kaos Studtios.

Looks like Michael Fassbender is starring and co-producing the movie adaptation of Assassins Creed.

I can actually see him playing Desmond and then Altair or Ezio.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357160/assassins-creed-movie-to-star-michael-fassbender/

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Looks like Michael Fassbender is starring and co-producing the movie adaptation of Assassins Creed.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357160/assassins-creed-movie-to-star-michael-fassbender/

I really admire the approach Ubisoft are taking with their films, maintaining creative control while not messing with the fans of the series.

Fassbender might not be playing Desmond Miles too.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/09/fassbenders-assassins-creed-character-not-necessarily-desmond/
    Today's news about the often spoken of but never seen Assassin's Creed film adaptation brought word that Prometheus star Michael Fassbender is playing the starring role (Fassbender's DMC Film is also being tapped for co-production). Between his leading man role and the film's description – "a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar ... [is] sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts" – it sounded to many like Fassbender would be taking up the role of Desmond Miles, franchise leading man. Not so fast, says Ubisoft.

"Fassbender will play the lead role, but it's too soon to say exactly which character that will be," a Ubi rep told us. Though all signs point to Fassbender playing Miles, the various media surrounding the Assassin's Creed franchise has shied away from focusing on the modern American assassin. Comic book series "The Fall" instead follows Daniel Cross, a Templar sleeper agent, through his family history in the Russian Revolution and beyond. Assassin's Creed: Lineage similarly focused on a backstory – Assassin's Creed 2 protagonist Ezio Auditore's father, Giovanni Auditore – rather than on Desmond.

"The storyline isn't bound by a certain era or even a set of characters," the Ubi rep added. "That kind of freedom gives us great flexibility in creating the movie." Which isn't to say that the film will be a Uwe Boll-esque takeoff on the game series. Like all things Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft is treading carefully so as not to anger longtime fans. "We're also taking the responsibility of maintaining fidelity with the overall story and brand very seriously," the rep said.

There's no planned launch window for the Assassin's Creed film, but Ubisoft Motion Pictures is maintaining creative control over the whole process. Michael Fassbender's DMC Film is collaborating with UMP, but Ubi retains rights to who's directing and who's writing the script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Rumours of a new Super Slim PS3 being unveiled at Gamescon. New chassis designed has popped up at the FCC.

New Model:

20120705_01.png

Current Model:

20120705_03.png

Original Model:

20120705_04.png

A guy on NeoGAF has done up a mock up of it based on the specs:

R8cBM.png

If true we'll probably get a price but too, probably to €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Going back to a flip-top disc tray like the original Playstation? Colour it all grey too and call it the 18th anniversary edition. Let's party like it's 1995.

Was not a fan of the PS2 slim. The power connection at the back came loose and was a pain to fix, also it was too small. There's limit to how small a home console should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Pffft - this is where it's at!

http://www.slashfilm.com/deus-ex-move-game-console-big-screen-cbs-films/

Epic’s Fortnite Will Be The First Unreal Engine 4 Game

Kind of surprised by that, I would have thought they'd lead with the next Unreal Tournament. I guess they're waiting for the next gen of consoles to be released first.

Check out how much gaming companies are making

580863_443489532348512_1722563712_n.jpg

Those are revenue, and not limited to games for the companies that what are not limited to it.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah! GTA 3 heading to PSN on 31st July! Europe should follow soon after.

No HD treatment, no Tophy support, just straight up classic GTA 3. Pity it's not HD as I'm sure it will look crap towards todays standards. Anyone gonna get this?

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/07/27/grand-theft-auto-3-looking-good-for-august-1st-psn-release/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-27-grand-theft-auto-3-ps2-classic-psn-release-date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a very strange and disappointing decision. Sure they could just port the IOS version - all the HD work has already been done there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't care for HD refurbishments, so I'm not one bit disappointed with regards that, hopefully I can slap that onto the Vita and play GTA III on the go. I do have it on the iOS devices but it's not the same deally...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the PS3.
    PcGamer wrote:
    Last night EA announced its financial results for the first quarter of this year, and the figures say some fascinating things about the state of the games industry. There’s number crunching below, along with some interesting insight into the workings of a major publisher.

First, the big news, the report breaks down earning by platform. PC delivered $276 million, the Xbox 360 $292 million and the PS3 $267 million. So the EA, one of the biggest publishers in the world, made more money from the PC than from the PS3.

The PC’s good showing was mostly due to increasing numbers of digital sales. EA made $342 million from those, rising from $232 million last year, while physical sales made $592, dropping from $647 last year. If these trends continue, digital could outpace physical in a year or two, and when that happens at a studio the size of EA, some very interesting things are going to happen to gaming retail.

So where has all that money come from? A lot of it is from Origin, which now has 21 million users. Battlefield Premium also stood out, selling a surprisingly high 1.3 million copies. Fifa Ultimate Team continues to sell like crazy, making $30 million already this year. Rich has something to do with that.

Not everyone can be a winner though, and last nights loser was undoubtedly The Old Republic. Not surprising considering EA just announced that SWTOR was going free to play. The call did shed a little light on why this happened however. VG247 are reporting that SWTORs subscriptions have dipped below a million. According to the results, 40% of players said they didn’t want to play a subscription and might return if the game was free.

So that’s the brave new world of 2012. PCs are making more money than Playstations, digital sales are catching up to physical ones, and subscription fees are going extinct. Hmm.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/01/ea-financial-results-revealed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kiith wrote: »
    EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the 360 or PS3.
    PCGamer wrote:
    First, the big news, the report breaks down earning by platform. PC delivered $276 million, the Xbox 360 $292 million and the PS3 $267 million. So the EA, one of the biggest publishers in the world, made more money from the PC than from the PS3.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/01/ea-financial-results-revealed/

Ummm, are you sure you know how numbers work?

I do actually, thanks for pointing that.

Edited the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

EA released it's first quarter financial results last night. Interesting to see that the PC made them more money then the PS3.

The Sims. Their expansion packs are 40 quid......the price of most new games. I would also like to add that I was truly flabberghasted when I read a couple months back how much ultimate team made EA accross several of its titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Once SWOR goes free to play they'll start making more money off it. Subscription based MMO's are dead with only really WoW hanging in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

hanging in there with 10million or so subscribers lol

i've no love for blizzard but after almost 9 years of WoW they are doing something right.

• Advertisement

Warcraft will probably be the last successful subscription based MMO though. Pretty much every major release on the horizon is going f2p.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

Ummm, are you sure you know how written English works? Kiith used 'or' in his statement, not 'and'. The statement is correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So the platform which EA hates with a passion brings not that much less then consoles and that platform does not have second hand games market issue.. Oh you EA...
    That is surprising how much EA got from origin knowing how shot it is. I can only imagine the revenue steam is collecting...

mrm wrote: »
    Ummm, are you sure you know how written English works? Kiith used 'or' in his statement, not 'and'. The statement is correct!

He was actually right. 360 made more then PC. I just read it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Warcraft will probably be the last successful subscription based MMO though. Pretty much every major release on the horizon is going f2p.

Microtransactions are dangerous for people like me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

He was actually right. 360 made more then PC. I just read it wrong.

Its ok, I understood that. Whether you meant it or not your original statement was correct. There was just no need for any glib comment about your comprehension of numbers when the poster showed little comprehension of simple English.

Those figures you posted make for interesting reading. Really not enough of a difference between all three to flame a decent fanboy war. Shame! The f2p model must be really good for EA if they are listening to the 40% who want a non subscription based model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So the platform which EA hates with a passion brings not that much less then consoles and that platform does not have second hand games market issue.. Oh you EA...
    That is surprising how much EA got from origin knowing how shot it is. I can only imagine the revenue Steam is collecting...

True....but they also put a lot more into the PC market than the consoles such as SW:TOR, the continued Sims 3 expansions and published The Secret World, all of which wont be out on the consoles while the rest of their titles are cross-platform. And while it doesnt have a 2nd hand market, it does have a lower turnover as PC games are cheaper overall and the PC market has higher piracy rates (no...Im not saying consoles dont have piracy, just the PC has more of it).

As for Steams profits...well look at the maths of it. Valve is a $3 billion company that has released around ten games in the last decade, which even if selling at a $50 premium would need to have each sold several dozen million apiece to get that much cash (after retailers cuts and such). And most of their games reduced quickly on Steam so......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I do actually, thanks for pointing that.

Edited the original.

No worries.
    mrm wrote: »

What? No. Not in the slightest, you have to be fucking with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think you might see a further drop off when Panderia is released. It just doesn't look interesting and I think there's a big enough group of players that won't pick it up and will just drift away from the game.

The Old Republic going free-to-play will pick up a few too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think you might see a further drop off when Panderia is released. It just doesn't look interesting and I think there's a big enough group of players that won't pick it up and will just drift away from the game.

The Old Republic going free-to-play will pick up a few too.
    Funny enough pandaroa is a wee bit of an topic with the lads now. We all quoted wow at this stage, but now and them we started to talk a bit about it as release date announced.
    No one will buy it if other won't, but if others will buy it then everone will. What really is shocking that none of us know much about it at all! We used to know more about expansions before they out them blizzard it self! :P
    I was my fallowing pandaria at all! Since I heard about pandas, it just turned me away from wow as a game.

• Advertisement

More collections from Sony, a collection of collections with the 2 God of War collections + God of war 3

God of War Saga; all 5 games, the previously release HD versions of the PS2 and PSP game as well as God of war 3.

InFamous Collections; both games as well as Festival of Blood and "extra missions", all released DLC powers and such is also included.

Priced at $30

pscollection.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

An eye-opening report on
    the condition of the
    BioShock Infinite project has
    revealed that many core
    development staff have quit,
    multiplayer modes have
    been axed entirely, and a
    senior developer at Epic
    Games has joined the studio
    to help finish the delayed
    game.
    Alleged insiders told games
    site Kotaku that the Irrational
    team "has struggled to craft
    a full game that meets the
    promise of its early demos".
    The article claimed that two
    multiplayer modes, which
    had been worked on for
    several months, have been
    axed entirely. It also
    speculates that the BioShock
    successor could ship as a
    single-player title only.
    In other developments:
    It was revealed on
    Thursday that many of
    the core BioShock
    Infinite team no longer
    work at the studio.
    Departures include
    design director Jeff
    McGann, producer Joe
    Faulstick, principal
    systems designer Ken
    Strickland, senior level
    designer Steve Gaynor,
    and systems designer
    Tynan Sylvester, among
    others.
    Director of production at
    Epic Games, Rod
    Fergusson, is rumored to
    have been hired by
    Irrational to help finish
    the project.
    Scott Sinclair, the art
    director on the first
    BioShock, has returned to
    Irrational to wrap up
    development on Infinite.
    The studio's creative
    director, Ken Levine, has
    called for calm and
    maintains faith that the
    project will ship in
    February 2013.
    Jordan Thomas, who
    works at Irrational's
    sister studio 2K Marin,
    has been brought "on
    loan" to help finish the
    project. He is scheduled
    to return to 2K Marin
    when the project is
    finished.
    Addressing the rumours and
    facts, Levine told Kotaku that
    "in a company of 200 people
    you're going to have
    turnover".
    He confirmed that Tim
    Gerritsen, director of product
    development, and art
    director Nate Wells have
    both left the studio.
    "We never like to see a guy
    like Nate leave because he's
    been here for a long time
    but it's been 13 years and I
    think sometimes people
    want to spread their wings,"
    Levine said.
    Levine also insisted that the
    BioShock core team is still
    intact.
    "As far as the team itself, the
    lead artist, the art director,
    the creative director, the lead
    effects artist, the senior
    sound guy, the lead
    programmer and the lead AI
    programmer from BioShock
    1 are all on BioShock Infinite.
    "I don't think there's a single
    senior BioShock team
    member that isn't here,
    which I think is amazing and
    a testament to their
    commitment to the studio,"
    he said.
    Several insiders claim that
    the BioShock Infinite project
    "lacked focus", with teams
    dedicating months on
    doomed to multiplayer
    projects.
    The Kotaku report reads:
    "Irrational placed a large
    internal emphasis on
    multiplayer. The studio went
    through two potential
    multiplayer modes for
    Infinite, both of which were
    eventually cancelled. We're
    unclear on whether any
    multiplayer modes remain."
    Levine declined to comment
    on these suggestions
    specifically. He added,
    however, that Irrational is
    "experimenting with things,
    and only if they are good
    enough will we put them in
    the game".
    Back in May, publisher Take-
    Two delayed the BioShock
    Infinite release date from
    October to February, 2013.
    The subsequent decision not
    to show Infinite at the E3 in
    June, nor the upcoming
    Gamescom event, sparked
    debate about the state of the
    project.
    "It's always challenging
    when you're trying to make
    a game that does a lot of
    different things," Levine
    said.
    "When you are trying to
    innovate the path is not
    always clear and these
    things take time. But I
    guarantee this: The next
    time we show you guys the
    game the judge will be you,
    not me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Bioshock: Infinite will be single player only?

****ing brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Only a rumour from an anonymous source, but it does get me overly excited that a new Fallout could be in the works. From Gamespot:
    If a new rumor proves accurate, Bethesda's next Fallout game will be set in Boston. A Reddit user going by "fallout4boston" claims the unannounced Fallout 4 will be set in the Massachusetts capital city.

This tipster says Bethesda has been "scoping out and researching" the city, and suggests the developer has a "strong connection" to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a prestigious research university near Boston. The Reddit user "may or may not be an MIT employee," according to the post.

A Bethesda representative told GameSpot, "We don't comment on rumors and speculation."

Forget Skyrim, I want Fallout Fooooooooooooooooooour!!!!

Hopefully we see characters like this

family-guy-season-2-episode-3.jpg

Nice to see a developer speak so candidly about the bull**** that is publisher-enforced / tacked on multiplayer.

Yager: Spec Ops multiplayer was "bullsh**" and "should not exist"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ace Attorney 5 incoming. 3DS. I haven't played on since the second game, but I'd like to see them mix up the formula a bit. Plus:
    a new female partner dressed in yellow clothes.

HOLY ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lets see if Crapcom bother their arse localising it since they refuse to release Miles Edgeworth investigations 2 and Layton vs. Ace Attorney in the West.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement