Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimising injury risk in the gym?

Options
  • 13-03-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

Apart from basic “Gym hygiene” stuff what principles/modifications are there to minimize injury risk so that you get the majority of benefits? One Ive done is do Hex bar dead lifts instead of regular dead lifts , the risk reward seems like a no brainer. I happened to catch a video on youtube talking about this topic in general but one specific thing in relation to protecting the shoulder was to never have your elbow go behind the plane of your body, so for example Bench Press don’t let the bar touch your chest as you are putting your shoulders at risk, is that a valid one? . Any other ones to look out for , say in relation to squats for example? would anyone suggest only doing the hex bar in place of DL and squat or is that being too conservative?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

By using a hex bar instead of straight bar deadlifts, you're kinda taking away some of the benefits of the hip hinge aspects of a regular deadlift. There are reasons for doing hex bar deadlifts, but doing them instead of straight bar deadlifts to avoid getting injured is an odd one. Only reasons I can think of would be if you have a pre-existing injury, or if you just don't know how to deadlift properly. Deadlifting is safe if done correctly using proper form.

That elbow plane one sounds like absolute nonsense. For benching, your elbow can absolutely go behind the body, but the bar shouldn't go up and down, i.e. it should touch your chest somewhere below your nipples and not around your shoulders. Also, locking your shoulders back and down is important.

Squats, yeah, lots to look out for there. Short answer is to use proper form. Slightly longer answer is to breath properly, brace your entire core and move up and down while keeping the weight of the bar over mid foot. Hex bar deadlifts to replace squats is something I have never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

silverharp wrote: »
    One Ive done is do Hex bar dead lifts instead of regular dead lifts , the risk reward seems like a no brainer. I happened to catch a video on youtube talking about this topic in general but one specific thing in relation to protecting the shoulder was to never have your elbow go behind the plane of your body, so for example Bench Press don’t let the bar touch your chest as you are putting your shoulders at risk, is that a valid one?

What's the no brainier in relation to hex bars?
    I'm not a fan of them personally.
    Hex bar deadlifts to replace squats is something I have never heard of.

I vaguely remember, a long time ago, somebody talking about trap bar deadlift movement replicating front squats movements. But I think it was more a case if overliafingbthe movement than a replacement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    What's the no brainier in relation to hex bars?
    I'm not a fan of them personally.

I vaguely remember, a long time ago, somebody talking about trap bar deadlift movement replicating front squats movements. But I think it was more a case if overliafingbthe movement than a replacement.

Trap bar deadlift is basically a front squat with the weight in your hands. It take a an awful lot of hamstring activation out of the exercise. Obviously there's more upper body engagement. I don't think it's a replacement for either front squats or deadlifts, it's something different to both.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Apart from basic “Gym hygiene” stuff what principles/modifications are there to minimize injury risk so that you get the majority of benefits? One Ive done is do Hex bar dead lifts instead of regular dead lifts , the risk reward seems like a no brainer. I happened to catch a video on youtube talking about this topic in general but one specific thing in relation to protecting the shoulder was to never have your elbow go behind the plane of your body, so for example Bench Press don’t let the bar touch your chest as you are putting your shoulders at risk, is that a valid one? . Any other ones to look out for , say in relation to squats for example? would anyone suggest only doing the hex bar in place of DL and squat or is that being too conservative?

If you don't touch the bar with your chest, you're not doing a full bench press. If you're worried about your shoulders do proper shoulder mobility work and stick to DB pressing until it's decent.

That advice pretty much applies to everything. Spend more time on mobility work, don't do odd variations of exercises.

Why are you worried a out deadlift? Is there something wrong with your mobility or your form. A trap bar deadlift isn't a replacement.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Trap bar deadlift is basically a front squat with the weight in your hands. It take a an awful lot of hamstring activation out of the exercise. Obviously there's more upper body engagement. I don't think it's a replacement for either front squats or deadlifts, it's something different to both.
    That's basically what I was getting at.
    It's assistance for both, but it's lesser than either imo.
    When I see people who permanently opt for trap bar over deadlifts. I can't can't help but feel a lot of them are doing it to stronebtge ego with more weight on the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Also, locking your shoulders back and down is important.

I call it "packing your shoulders" - and its important for lots of exercises yet its not often mentioned.

I see LOADS of people not packing their shoulders when they should be.

That's basically what I was getting at.
    It's assistance for both, but it's lesser than either imo.
    When I see people who permanently opt for trap bar over deadlifts. I can't can't help but feel a lot of them are doing it to stronebtge ego with more weight on the bar.

Stroke the ego? Some quality typos in your last couple of post :) .

I agree. I’m sure there are some fairly legitimate reasons to trap bar deadlift, I’m not sure what they are though. The only time I’ve done them for an extended period was because my gym got one and I liked the novelty.

they/them/theirs

....... wrote: »
    I call it "packing your shoulders" - and its important for lots of exercises yet its not often mentioned.

I see LOADS of people not packing their shoulders when they should be.

I have terrible trouble with doing it for heavy benches. I think it’s purely mental.

It’s a fairly important part of the deadlift as well. I often whisper “back and down” when I grip the bar. I’d say people think I’ve lost it.

they/them/theirs

I have terrible trouble with doing it for heavy benches. I think it’s purely mental.

It’s a fairly important part of the deadlift as well. I often whisper “back and down” when I grip the bar. I’d say people think I’ve lost it.

Yes, I am a woman and I dont bench much but I do deadlift and it is very important.

When deadlifting I dont even whisper, I say out loud (through gritted teeth usually), "shoulders back now be the hinge, be the hinge" ;)

Mind you on the treadmill I say "be the T1000, be the T1000" so they all think Im just some weird old woman in my gym anyway.

Stroke the ego? Some quality typos in your last couple of post :) .
    I openly admit I have some weird autocorrect typos when I'm phone posting. Butnthat wasn't one if them.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/stroke+ego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I openly admit I have some weird autocorrect typos when I'm phone posting. Butnthat wasn't one if them.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/stroke+ego

What he probably meant is that what you intended to say 'stroke their ego' actually appeared as 'stronebtge ego'. Which means your autocorrect language may well be Scandinavian.

What he probably meant is that what you intended to say 'stroke their ego' actually appeared as 'stronebtge ego'. Which means your autocorrect language may well be Scandinavian.

Ah right, lol. I didn't even notice that. I thought he was laughing a stroke being a euphemism.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQqCW7C0hfEARBuYT1hmGJjNtEFkhG-Xo7opMgJyqIRYkZ2vQMX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I alternate the trap bar deadlift with RDL. I also heard from a couple of PT's and I've seen it on videos that its a good alternative so I hope they're right! I find the standard deadlift really awkward, not worth the hassle for me when i'm only lifting to supplement my running

What works *for me* is when the bar is in the top position, keep the arms locked out and I try to touch my nipples up to the bar. Really engages my lats and put the shoulder joint in the right position.

However, keeping the shoulder in place throughout the rest of the lift is something I struggle to get right 100% of the time.

What works *for me* is when the bar is in the top position, keep the arms locked out and I try to touch my nipples up to the bar. Really engages my lats and put the shoulder joint in the right position.

However, keeping the shoulder in place throughout the rest of the lift is something I struggle to get right 100% of the time.

That's not a bad way to think about it all. Thanks

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Armand Tamzarian

Theres been some interesting research on Trap Bar Vs Straight Bar Deadlifts.

They are a lot closer to a conventional deadlift than a squat or a front squat.

Greg Nuckols has an article on the info here.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

Personally i like the trap bar. I also like conventional deadlifts.

I certainly wouldn't be ruling out one over the other.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I alternate the trap bar deadlift with RDL. I also heard from a couple of PT's and I've seen it on videos that its a good alternative so I hope they're right! I find the standard deadlift really awkward, not worth the hassle for me when i'm only lifting to supplement my running

There's less spinal loading on the trap bar deadlift, which is why it's probably used more than conventional deadlift by athletes. There was a study published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research that looked muscle activation (using EMG) and peak power, force and velocity. The different muscle activation patterns observed suggested the trap bar deadlift may be more effective at developing maximal force, power, and velocity, which would be why an athlete might use them over a conventional deadlift.

But I don't think trap bar deadlifts exclusively is necessarily a better option than some conventional deadlift involvement.

I rarely find a trap bar that I like.

I find the fixed position less comfortable than just plain deadlifting.

It might just be that Im quite a short female and trap bars are designed for the average male.

Or it might be that my previous knee surgeries give me a bit of gyp using it.

Im not really sure. I do farmers walk it but I rarely deadlift/squat with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

For some reason on heavy trap bar deads i get straining in my lower chest!
    Its also a lot harder to break off the floor as the trap bar is seriously stiff so i think that carries over to conventional in helping you generate more force from the ground!
    Its also a decent way to overload as i can pull a good bit more weight with the high handle on the trap bar so is benefits me on the top end and lockout!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've literally never tried the trap bar

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

I once picked one up loaded with 20kg of plates and moved it out of the way. Aside from that, same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »

I wouldn’t recommend. The risk Dosent outweigh the reward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Theres been some interesting research on Trap Bar Vs Straight Bar Deadlifts.

They are a lot closer to a conventional deadlift than a squat or a front squat.

Greg Nuckols has an article on the info here.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

I certainly wouldn't be ruling out one over the other.

thanks, that was an interesting read a very positive assessment. basically my goal is to have the "health" benefits of resistance training and what appealed to me about the hex lift is that you are lifting the weight through your center instead of in front of you and that means less stress on the body and requires less skill :D . ive started adding farmer's walks with them as well so its ready to go.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

but one specific thing in relation to protecting the shoulder was to never have your elbow go behind the plane of your body, so for example Bench Press don’t let the bar touch your chest as you are putting your shoulders at risk, is that a valid one

I don't think that's valid as a general rule. If the full ROM is causing shoulder pain, then maybe consider it. But I would venture that some people experiencing shoulder pain might want to look at their technique.

It's one thing modifying the bench press if you're feeling pain but to do it to prevent possible shoulder pain...I don't think so.

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    For some reason on heavy trap bar deads i get straining in my lower chest!
    Its also a lot harder to break off the floor as the trap bar is seriously stiff so i think that carries over to conventional in helping you generate more force from the ground!
    Its also a decent way to overload as i can pull a good bit more weight with the high handle on the trap bar so is benefits me on the top end and lockout!

fwiiw ive seen a few comments saying that people got over a DL plateau by switching to a hex for a while and switching back

fwiiw ive seen a few comments saying that people got over a DL plateau by switching to a hex for a while and switching back

It depends on the purpose. If you switched to trap bar deadlift to work on leg drive, for example, then there would be carry over to conventional deadlift. But there isn't necessarily a carry over. You would program trap bar deadlifts for a specific purpose rather than just including them as a variation because they're similar movements.

From the perspective of training the deadlift, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

To minimize injuring my lower back I make sure to really foam roll out my legs, glutes and lats. As soon as they get too tight then my lower back gets very tight after a workout and I am more at danger of “putting it out”.

Generally a lot of good stretching, foam rolling and mobility work outside of gym and then a good sweaty warm up before the work out. This has kept me injury free for the longest time.

Oh and really bracing my core - whether attempting something heavy at gym AND at home.

I don't think that's valid as a general rule. If the full ROM is causing shoulder pain, then maybe consider it. But I would venture that some people experiencing shoulder pain might want to look at their technique.

It's one thing modifying the bench press if you're feeling pain but to do it to prevent possible shoulder pain...I don't think so.

The point i had come across (which maybe wrong) was that at the low point of a bp you are trying to lift a heavy weight where the chest muscles are at their weakest.?

As it happens I was doing combined dumbbell curl and press at the weekend, I liked the extra instability that it created

• Advertisement

The point i had come across (which maybe wrong) was that at the low point of a bp you are trying to lift a heavy weight where the chest muscles are at their weakest.?

And other muscles come into it. 'Weak' shoulder muscles (at the front) are one of the reasons people fail a bench off the chest.

But avoiding the range of motion where certain muscles are at their weakest is a sure fire way to create imbalances

Advertisement