Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Whats the gist of ot?

He said that he thought it was a setup. He told Eamonn that he wanted to record a piece from a letter of the father of an aborted child at the end of the segment. When he went to speak to the sound engineer, he found that it was Una Mullaly's sound engineer that was working the sound there. And when he told the sound engineer what he would like to do, he said that the sound engineer looked at each other and gave some sort of reaction like throwing their eyes up to heaven. You'd really need to listen to it yourself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He said that he thought it was a setup. He told Eamonn that he wanted to record a piece from a letter of the father of an aborted child at the end of the segment. When he went to speak to the sound engineer, he found that it was Una Mullaly's sound engineer that was working the sound there. And when he told the sound engineer what he would like to do, he said that the sound engineer looked at each other and gave some sort of reaction like throwing their eyes up to heaven. You'd really need to listen to it yourself though.

Why would Una Mullally have her own sound engineer? Surely the Dunphy has someone he uses himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

It wasn't a set-up. He was getting an entire podcast episode to state his case. He came in a bit wound-up/agitated about this alleged letter, and then just lost his **** when Eamon asked him a perfectly reasonable question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He couldn't handle it when Eamonn tried to ask him a few reasonable questions. He should have been able to keep his cool. Obviously he wasn't in the mood for any of it, he just wanted an unquestioning platform for his opinions. He can dress it up any way he wants after the facts, but there was agition in his voice as soon as the first reasonable question was put to him and he just lost the plot.

mang0 wrote: »
    It wasn't a set-up. He was getting an entire podcast episode to state his case.

The poster didn't ask me what you thought of it. He asked me what Waters said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is Eammo in Cheltenham or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is Eammo in Cheltenham or what?

He's in hospital. No idea what for but nothing serious apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I've enjoyed the last couple with Mick Clifford related to Brexit and US politics. Does anyone know if Mick appears on any other podcast ? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I've enjoyed the last couple with Mick Clifford related to Brexit and US politics. Does anyone know if Mick appears on any other podcast ? Thanks!

I think I have listened to each occasion Alan O'Neill has been the guest (3 times?). First time I liked hearing a Brexiteer perspective, but aach time after the first I wondered what value he brings.

He is not really an impartial observer despite being introduced as editor of Spikes, he is a blue blood brexiteer who believes every UK citizen knew what they were voting for, that people exaggerate the possible impact at the border, and that the EU is mainly out to get the Brits, etc.

He might as well be from the ERG, and the fact the regular host holds similar views leads to a low value listen for me (OK Mick Clifford did some more challenging, but not much more).

Compare that to Niall Stanage, who reports on events in the US without any discernible position (except maybe Trump incredulity). A few weeks back Niall for example gave a brilliant overview of the standoff with Democrats re the wall and explained state of emergency etc.

I would like if Eamon had a contributor who could give the same impartial perspective on Brexit, as I think there is a massive political drama that could use a good narrator, and not Alan O'Neill trotting out the same stuff again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

His name is Brendan O'Neill and he is the editor of https://www.spiked-online.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

His name is Brendan O'Neill and he is the editor of https://www.spiked-online.com/

Thanks applehunter. Not really sure where Alan came from! I can't seem to edit my post to correct his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The recent chats on Facebook and the internet would have been hugely interesting 10-20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What’s the story with Eamon taking an extended break from this? He’s been on Matt Cooper this evening giving his thoughts on the latest FAI fiasco, so he’s not on holidays - or is he?

This FAI thing would be prime meat for Eamon to get his teeth into but he sounded surprisingly in John Delaney’s corner on Matt Cooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

JoeA3 wrote: »
    What’s the story with Eamon taking an extended break from this? He’s been on Matt Cooper this evening giving his thoughts on the latest FAI fiasco, so he’s not on holidays - or is he?

This FAI thing would be prime meat for Eamon to get his teeth into but he sounded surprisingly in John Delaney’s corner on Matt Cooper.

Someone mentioned he was also on RTE Radio 1 yesterday and was very much dismissing this as non-story. Very strange.

It's weird. He's been coming out to bat for team Delaney in a few media appearances now. What's the story with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Arghus wrote: »
    It's weird. He's been coming out to bat for team Delaney in a few media appearances now. What's the story with that?

He does appear to have allowed himself become a buddy of Delaney.

I remember years ago, Dunphy on Prime Time with John Delaney, discussing problems within the FAI. Dunphy called Delaney "one of the good guys".

But Dunphy is not one that's shy about changing sides, so likewise, surprised to see him so passive on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I heard he was on the paper this morning saying delaney needs to go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wouldn't put it past Dunphy to change his mind between breakfast and lunch and back again by dinner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is true. He's completely changed his mind now and admitted that he didn't know all the facts!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No football show this week.Would've been interesting to hear the guests take on the 2 international games.

It would've also been interesting to hear Mick dig into the Delaney story and to hear Giles' take on it. Giles is a mate of Delaney as is Dunphy.

The episode is almost suspicious by its absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

A gob****e of the highest order. He'll probably change his mind again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

humberklog wrote: »
    No football show this week.Would've been interesting to hear the guests take on the 2 international games.

It would've also been interesting to hear Mick dig into the Delaney story and to hear Giles' take on it. Giles is a mate of Delaney as is Dunphy.

The episode is almost suspicious by its absence.

Yeah it's disappointing. The show has been really good and thought he was past the backslapping of his mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Has Dunphy left the stand ? Seems like something is going on.......

Wouldn't be the first time he's walked suddenly / prematurely from a job.

I agree, the continued absence is very odd, particularly in light of recent FAI developments which is a story I would expect Dunphy to be getting his boot into.

As I mentioned in a previous post above, he was on with Matt Cooper on Monday night and he was very subdued on the FAI thing, almost saying it was a non issue... and Matt was referring to him as "Eamon Dunphy from the Stand"

I'd imagine he's just taking it easy after only coming out of hospital. Big difference between hopping on Matt Cooper for a few mins compared to going back to doing a number of podcasts a week and the prep that comes with them.

why was he hospital ?

why was he hospital ?

He hasn't said. Just said on the Ray Darcy show a few weeks back that he'd be off the podcast for a few weeks as he's getting an operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

why was he hospital ?

I heard he was undergoing a minor procedure to remove a foreign object from one or both shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Cienciano wrote: »

Dunphy simply wanted to take a cheap shot at Sadlier. Using the 'real football' people argument is nonsense when Niall Quinn, Brian Kerr, Kevin Kilbane and a fair few other real football men have come out as critical of the FAI.

Dunphy is wrong on this issue.

• Advertisement

Is Dunphy compromised because of John Delaney's involvement in the Johny Giles charity ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always thought there was tension on the panel when Dunphy and Sadlier were on together.

I don't think Eamo approves of this young pup....he was the up and coming analysis talent and I do think Eamo felt challenged.

and Matt was referring to him as "Eamon Dunphy from the Stand"

I noticed that Mick was introducing the show as "The Stand With Eamon Dunphy.... with Mick Clifford", which seemed very deliberate. So I don't think that Eamon is going anywhere. He's very very appreciative of Tesco's support, so he wouldn't want to let them down. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The pro-Brexit guy seemed a lot less convincing today when faced with some tough questions from Mick, rather than being fellated by Eamon.

Also, is there anything more sickening than a grown man referring to themselves as a 'Brexiteer'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

He's back!

New podcast up today with Giles and Didi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He's back!

New podcast up today with Giles and Didi...

Any stuff on the internationals or is it yet another Liverpool blowing session?

Any stuff on the internationals or is it yet another Liverpool blowing session?

17 minutes in and thats what it is so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Anybody hoping that Eamon would address the Delaney issue will be disappointed - not even a mention. With about 10 minutes to go he said they were now turning their attention to a very big event in soccer so I presumed that was the cue but they instead started talking about Solskjaer being appointed permanent manager.

In fact there was no mention at all of the national side so maybe there'll be another episode on the opening two games where they'll then discuss Delaney / FAI.

• Advertisement

Still Ill wrote: »
    The pro-Brexit guy seemed a lot less convincing today when faced with some tough questions from Mick, rather than being fellated by Eamon.

Also, is there anything more sickening than a grown man referring to themselves as a 'Brexiteer'?

That Brexit guy was an odious spoofer.

Anybody hoping that Eamon would address the Delaney issue will be disappointed - not even a mention. With about 10 minutes to go he said they were now turning their attention to a very big event in soccer so I presumed that was the cue but they instead started talking about Solskjaer being appointed permanent manager.

In fact there was no mention at all of the national side so maybe there'll be another episode on the opening two games where they'll then discuss Delaney / FAI.

so did I coz he said "john" thinking he was then going to say delaney but was talking to john giles

New episode just appeared on phone - "John Delaney, uncut". Has Mark Tighe from Sunday Times who broke the stories about Delaney, so that'll be interesting listening at lunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Serious laugh out loud moment when Eamo Jokes "it's desperately needed for my reputation that we kill John Delaney on this podcast" haha

Serious laugh out loud moment when Eamo Jokes "it's desperately needed for my reputation that we kill John Delaney on this podcast" haha

Just walking back to office and was in lift when he said that. I lol'd. The DHL delivery guy in lift was giving me weird looks. Awkwardly enough he was coming to our office. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

dulpit wrote: »
    Just walking back to office and was in lift when he said that. I lol'd. The DHL delivery guy in lift was giving me weird looks. Awkwardly enough he was coming to our office. :o

It's safe to say Eamo is off team Delaney!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

He must be a boardsie! Hi Eamonn!

anyone know what the reference to the New York times and an Irish person was about? Was 2 minutes from the end they were talking about libel laws

neris wrote: »
    anyone know what the reference to the New York times and an Irish person was about? Was 2 minutes from the end they were talking about libel laws

Pretty sure any comments will get shut down here. Safe to say a quick google should make it obvious what it's about...

neris wrote: »

It's not hard to find out! Think of a globally famous Irish sportsman.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement