Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points for L-plates

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

God I feel old now....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

I always remember it being the case that you werent allowed to driver unaccompanied as a learner they never really enforced it that much its only in recent years that its gotten stricter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I always remember it being the case that you werent allowed to driver unaccompanied as a learner they never really enforced it that much its only in recent years that its gotten stricter

The rule about it being legal to drive unaccompanied if you were on your 2nd provisional was really a thing, I know it was 12 years ago but it's still fresh in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tuxy wrote: »
    The rule about it being legal to drive unaccompanied if you were on your 2nd provisional was really a thing, I know it was 12 years ago but it's still fresh in my mind.

Lets not forget about the genius idea on how to clear the back log of test applications in the 80s :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Lets not forget about the genius idea on how to clear the back log of test applications in the 80s :eek:

Ahhh that's better, I'm too young to remember that one but do know people that got their licence that way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

troyzer wrote: »
    Correct.

The only thing the Clancy amendement changes is that the car can be seized and the owner made liable. It was always illegal to drive unaccompanied.

No. Incorrect. You could drive unaccompanied on your 2nd provo.

Its not that long ago either. How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

No. Incorrect. You could drive unaccompanied on your 2nd provo.

Its not that long ago either. How old are you?

it was 12 years ago, anyone 18 then would be 30 now.....makes you feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Billbo2015 wrote: »
    I got a fine out this morning for driving without L signs which I had up when I got stopped and got two penalty points? I’m just wondering does anyone know if there’s a point in appealing this I would never drive without L plates?
    Appeal it, and you'll probably have your car taken off you; https://www.thejournal.ie/learner-drivers-car-seized-4494164-Feb2019/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

tuxy wrote: »
    No he's simply saying 2007 = back in the day and anyone who can remember it mush have one foot in the grave.

Lol. I can actually remember the changes being implemented back in 2007. There was a bit of an uproar over how unfair it was on learner drivers who relied on their car to get to work and college and so on. The "this is the death knell for rural Ireland" line was thrown out a fair bit too. Exact same sort of reaction to the Clancy amendment changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Isambard wrote: »
    it was 12 years ago, anyone 18 then would be 30 now.....makes you feel old.

Back when I walked in to get my provisional..

https://tinyurl.com/yxlg9oud

A lots happened since then.

Best not to mention that I remember filling up at a Burmah petrol station for 60 odd pence per Litre... that'll really show my age.

Does anyone remember the introduction of unleaded petrol ? .. I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mikeecho wrote: »
    Back when I walked in to get my provisional..

https://tinyurl.com/yxlg9oud

A lots happened since then.

Best not to mention that I remember filling up at a Burmah petrol station for 60 odd pence per Litre... that'll really show my age.

Does anyone remember the introduction of unleaded petrol ? .. I do.

Effing hell. I also got my Provisional that year but let it lapse and didn't get another one until 2004. Was in school and Uni so didnt need a car.

If I recall correctly because I had let so many years pass before applying for the 2nd one I was kicked back down to a 1st Provisional Licence.

Christ I was at the Collins v Eubank fight and the Ireland v England game. Only seems like yesterday and not 24 years ago...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've seen ones for sale with most of the white cut out as well, not sure it's drivers doing the cutting. Don't think the law says they have to be square (maybe it does?) so as long as the border is 2cm they might be legal.

Edit: I see you already suggested this!
    I also noticed that the L plates sold at halfords, consorts, woodies and 2 local motor factors all have borders less than 2 cm's . not really fair if the shops are selling them to unsuspecting customers .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ah they were the days...17 and driving on my first provisional 31 years ago circa 1988. Got pulled over by the cops ( driving on my own) and get a bollocking over my lunatic driving " How long are you driving?" Me :" ah about 2 months " Cop( shouting): " Off with you and don't drive like that again!". Funny thing was the shouting at me worked, a little anyway lol

I had no L plates ever ( only during test) and i must have drove close to a 1000 miles a week and never got done for L plates or driving unacompanied

Advertisement