Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points for L-plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

According to this the OP could have gotten a fine of up to €1000 and his/her vehicle could have been seized

https://passthetest.ie/new-laws/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OSI wrote: »
    There is required to be a 2cm white border surrounding the outer edges of the L. There is most definitely not 2cm the whole way around on that plate.

You'd have to be some right thunder **** to pull them up on that I'd say there's about 13mm at the bottom and top possibly 14mm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Billbo2015

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    So driving illegally unaccompanied and without correct L plates. How do you think an appeal with work out OP?

Who doesn’t have correct L plates?

tuxy wrote: »
    You are correct I know someone who recently got caught and fined for speeding(3 point) and no N plates(2 points) in the same stop.

They had 3 points applied to their licence.

No it says 2 for driving unaccompanied and 2 for L plates .. would this just be made into one offence as they are ok separate paper but sent in the same letter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TBH OP if that is all you are being done for I would take it and be done with it.

Your word against the Garda's in Court- you have no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Billbo2015 wrote: »
    No it says 2 for driving unaccompanied and 2 for L plates .. would this just be made into one offence as they are ok separate paper but sent in the same letter

What happen is you have to pay the combined fine for both offences but only one offence(the more serious one if they carry different points) will add points to your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You pay both fines but only get points for one as pointed out.

Example I speed and get fine is 3 points and then I drive the wrong way down the motorway I get 2 points.

I get 2 fines but only get the 3 points and not add them up to get 5.

It will be 4 points if you decide to appeal this and fail and you will still get the 2 points for being unaccompanied if you win the appeal on the L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I got a fine out this morning for driving without L signs which I had up when I got stopped and got two penalty points? I’m just wondering does anyone know if there’s a point in appealing this I would never drive without L plates?

Probably a mistake. it happens. pulse is not a very forgiving system.

Contact the guard and fine out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The unaccompanied rule has always been around, but, like many motoring laws in Ireland it was ignored until some poor fcukers family was wiped out by a young one driving like the clappers.

The current rule has not always been around. I was legally allowed to drive unaccompanied when i had my second provisional licence.

• Advertisement

You are correct I know someone who recently got caught and fined for speeding(3 point) and no N plates(2 points) in the same stop.

They had 3 points applied to their licence.

2 offences, 2 fines, one set of points added to licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

I'd count yourself lucky you didn't get a €1000 fine & your cars seized as well

What happen is you have to pay the combined fine for both offences but only one offence(the more serious one if they carry different points) will add points to your licence.

I know but they came out on separate fines different sheets so would they be a combined fine because it happened at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OSI wrote: »
    Or just be pissed off enough at someone pushing their luck after being caught doing one offence.

If you pulled someone for something and they decided to be a cheeky **** I'd be more than happy to find every little detail I could book em on.

Coincidentally I was behind a car with N plates this evening and they were almost identical to OPs. I wonder are they actually being sold like that in some places.

Yup seems to be the case these are from Halfords and it certainly doesn't look like 20mm at top and bottom

124077?w=637&h=403

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TheChizler

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Coincidentally I was behind a car with N plates this evening and they were almost identical to OPs. I wonder are they actually being sold like that in some places.

Yup seems to be the case these are from Halfords and it certainly doesn't look like 20mm at top and bottom

124077?w=637&h=403
    I've seen ones for sale with most of the white cut out as well, not sure it's drivers doing the cutting. Don't think the law says they have to be square (maybe it does?) so as long as the border is 2cm they might be legal.

Edit: I see you already suggested this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The unaccompanied rule has always been around, but, like many motoring laws in Ireland it was ignored until some poor fcukers family was wiped out by a young one driving like the clappers.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Incorrect.

Correct.

The only thing the Clancy amendement changes is that the car can be seized and the owner made liable. It was always illegal to drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

troyzer wrote: »
    Correct.

The only thing the Clancy amendement changes is that the car can be seized and the owner made liable. It was always illegal to drive unaccompanied.

Only time permitted was on 2nd provisional back in the day.

So you could actually arrive for your test with L plates on and legally drive on even if you failed.

Now since it became a learning permit this was got rid of.

People driving 30 years on a provisional is just nuts.

Only time permitted was on 2nd provisional back in the day.

So you could actually arrive for your test with L plates on and legally drive on even if you failed.

Now since it became a learning permit this was got rid of.

People driving 30 years on a provisional is just nuts.

You must be talking REALLY back in the day. As long as I can remember, it's been illegal. End of story. No exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

You must be talking REALLY back in the day. As long as I can remember, it's been illegal. End of story. No exceptions.

As far as I know you could drive unaccompanied on a second provisional up until about a decade ago.

Edit: Just found an article from the Irish Times, you could drive unaccompanied an a second provisional license up until October 2007.

As far as I know you could drive unaccompanied on a second provisional up until about a decade ago.

Edit: Just found an article from the Irish Times, you could drive unaccompanied an a second provisional license up until October 2007.

Really? Wow. No wonder people weren't arsed getting their full license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Only on your second, not on your third IIRC.

Don't know how true this is, but at the time we were told that it was because the only way to get a third provisional was if you had failed the test so you needed a fully licensed driver with you.

On your second you were "experienced" so could drive unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

amcalester wrote: »
    Only on your second, not on your third IIRC.

Don't know how true this is, but at the time we were told that it was because the only way to get a third provisional was if you had failed the test so you needed a fully licensed driver with you.

On your second you were "experienced" so could drive unaccompanied.

Basically this. I passed my test in around 2006, on second provisional, and legitimately drove myself to and from the test with the L plates up and no accompanying driver. It's really not that long ago since it was allowed, but (and without knowing troyzer's or when they learned to drive it's impossible to say whether it's even possible for them to "remember" this time as a driver) it's no bad thing that people seem to think already that it's so outlandish a concept. Though it is regrettable the amount of people that do it anyway.

And actually, since the learner permit system was introduced in 2007, I think any second provisionals issued up to that had "grandfather" rights to drive unaccompanied, so tack on about 2 years from the date of inception of learner permits to work out the date at which learners driving unaccompanied was completely illegal in that case.

cython wrote: »
    Basically this. I passed my test in around 2006, on second provisional, and legitimately drove myself to and from the test with the L plates up and no accompanying driver. It's really not that long ago since it was allowed, but (and without knowing troyzer's or when they learned to drive it's impossible to say whether it's even possible for them to "remember" this time as a driver) it's no bad thing that people seem to think already that it's so outlandish a concept. Though it is regrettable the amount of people that do it anyway.

And actually, since the learner permit system was introduced in 2007, I think any second provisionals issued up to that had "grandfather" rights to drive unaccompanied, so tack on about 2 years from the date of inception of learner permits to work out the date at which learners driving unaccompanied was completely illegal in that case.

I'm only 26 so it would make sense that I have no memory of this. Even my oldest mates and siblings would have been getting their license in the noughties.

Even though it was only your second provisional that you could drive unaccompanied at the time it was never enforced on any provisional licence.
    I was learning to drive and on my first provisional before that law changed and went through many checkpoints in many different counties and never had questions asked. At the time the only real incentive to do the test was for a reduction in insurance cost.

So because it happened before your living memory it isn't true?

So because it happened before your living memory it isn't true?

No he's simply saying 2007 = back in the day and anyone who can remember it mush have one foot in the grave.

No he's simply saying 2007 = back in the day and anyone who can remember it mush have one foot in the grave.

yeah 2007 is really ancient history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i'd object to that if it wasn't true :-(

Advertisement