Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen pizzas are manky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like the musclefoods ones. I think im alone in that though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Only the ones with pineapple.... they're the devil's work I tells ya!!

Soggy and.... Moist...
    Pineapple has no business being on a pizza. Same as tomato on a fry. Just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Aldi Stonebaked Double Pepperoni for 65c is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Got a brand called Saturday Pizza.

Was expensive enough compared to Aldi / Lidl.

Was gorgeous.https://saturdaypizzas.com/where-can-i-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Can't wait for your lynx Africa review op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

You clearly have never had a Chicago Town frozen pizza. Try the tomato stuffed crust pepperoni one it's delicious.

Agree with this, closest one to a take away pizza. All the rest I wouldn't go near they just taste hideous and the crust is never right on them, Chicago town stuffed crust pepperoni all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TomSweeney wrote: »
    If you must go the way of frozen pizza may I suggest 4 cheeses, it's hard to mess that up, and then buy some decent ham and mushrooms and apply them yourself.

What if you dont like mushrooms and/or ham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Hard a Pizza in Milanos today for €18. Not sure if it was nine times better than some frozen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

DS86DS wrote: »
    Does anyone else find frozen pizzas from the supermarkets to be horrible and bland? Personally feel the only decent pizza is from a takeaway or restaurant.
    Make them at home, only job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Aldi stonebaked pepparoni are not bad, I fling on some chilli flakes. They’re only like 70p. I’m sure it’s made up of actual food stuffs but I’d be a bit afraid to read the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Dr Oetker, whats the worst that could happen?

Who the fcuk is Dr Oetker and why is he making pizzas? Doctors should stick to their real jobs treating patients and working in hospitals. This is just another example of a selfish doctor working for the private sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭elperello

_Brian wrote: »
    Make them at home, only job

As with a lot of things homemade will always beat frozen.
    Several posters have advocated "pimping" your frozen pizza with extras of your choice which is an acceptable compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Goodfellas meaty feast isn't a bad shout. If you want a good pizza to cook yourself go to the deli counter in your local SuperValu, if it used to be a superquinn it will make up a delicious pizza that only takes 10 minutes to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The only one I like is the CHICAGO TOWN TAKEAWAY STUFFED CRUST PIZZA (sorry for caps, copy and paste from SuperValu site)

Love Milanos pizza but not their frozen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Harpy wrote: »
    Agree with this, closest one to a take away pizza. All the rest I wouldn't go near they just taste hideous and the crust is never right on them, Chicago town stuffed crust pepperoni all the way.

What did you think of the Dr Oetker pizzas?

Aldi do à fairly good frozen pizza with goat's cheese and spinach. Well I like it anyway.

Dr Oetker's pollo is decent enough too. It's about 16 quid cheaper than ordering a Domino's so you can't be expecting a miracle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I like Tesco's 1 euro pepperoni pizza.

You don't get a box, just plastic wrapping which is why it's so cheap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Takeaway pizza is obviously better, but it's nowhere near better enough to justify the price difference to supermarket stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

1 1/2 cups self raising flour
    1 cup natural youghert
    Splash of rape seed oil

Mix and need for 10minutes

Makes a 12” pizza

Passata for the tomato sauce

Stick on toppings

15 minutes @ 180

Awesome pizza and easy to
    Make. My kids make it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Tesco have a lovely vegetarian one atm (it’s rectangular). Use by date is quite short so I’ve convinced myself that it MUST be healthier than other frozen pizzas. It’s v tasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You clearly have never had a Chicago Town frozen pizza. Try the tomato stuffed crust pepperoni one it's delicious.

Its good indeed. American style, so arguably not a pizza at all. But a fine eat nonetheless. Its the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Dr oetker ones are alright.

There is a place in town called forno 500 which does amazing pizzas, not a takeaway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

For €2 you are not going to get the same as one made properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

gmisk wrote: »
    The Dr oetker ones are alright.

There is a place in town called forno 500 which does amazing pizzas, not a takeaway though.

The Dr Oetker company owns the company which makes Chicago Town. I can only think that they fill the Chicago Town ones with sugar salt and fat which makes the taste nicer.

https://www.checkout.ie/dr-oetker-ireland/22409

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

What did you think of the Dr Oetker pizzas?

Are they the ones with the thin crust? not a huge fan of the thin crust pizzas find the whole pizza base is too crunchy.. although I do like the pizza baguette things I think they're made by dr oetker are they? find them handy to have two in the freezer for a quick snack if there's nothing else there..

I also just looked at my original post, maybe a bit of an exaggeration saying id never go near the other ones and they're hideous because I do eat other frozen pizzas if I'm at someones house and they have one on id have a slice no bother but my preference if buying myself would always be Chicago town one. If I was getting a take away id often decide to just buy a Chicago town instead but wouldn't substitute any of the other ones for a take away If that makes sense

Lidl "deluxe" (!) Gustosa Stonebaked

not bad for a frozen pizza imo.

Good emergency food to have in the freezer

a8e6f57dc5204fabec5d2be1b037f686.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,881 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, for all the frozen pizza hate of which I’m in agreement mostly the Chicago Town pizzas are pretty decent and when heated up both the base and toppings have a tasty fresh flavor to them...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TomSweeney wrote: »
    If you must go the way of frozen pizza may I suggest 4 cheeses, it's hard to mess that up, and then buy some decent ham and mushrooms and apply them yourself.
    ncmc wrote: »
    Aldi and Lild do lovely ones. But the frozen ones are 1/4 of the price of takeaway ones or even less so you have to adjust your expectations!
    If you do frozen deffo start off with a four cheese and thrown on other types of cheese, like smoked or mozzarella and fresh toppings. Even a few very thin chips. And some parmesan cheese, and chilli oil, or just use chillies.

Yeah use a heap of toppings and more beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Who the fcuk is Dr Oetker and why is he making pizzas? Doctors should stick to their real jobs treating patients and working in hospitals. This is just another example of a selfish doctor working for the private sector!
    Real jobs like making 14 hole boots for skinheads.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can honestly say I've never eaten a frozen pizza. I always shove them in the oven to heat them up first.....

Advertisement