Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen pizzas are manky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Dr Oetker, whats the worst that could happen?

Minging.
    They use a knife n fork in the ad. Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find you need to know how long to leave them in the oven for helps. The guidance on the packet is just that; guidance. If your oven is good, and has a fan, you may need to have it in for 3-5 minutes less that what it says.

Also, the brand can be important, but sometimes a brand may have one solid pizza, and the rest could be manky.

Personally, I order them online. If I have the time, I make it myself.

Beasty wrote: »
    Can honestly say I've never eaten a frozen pizza. I always shove them in the oven to heat them up first.....
    On the subject of reheating pizza, I find reheating them in the microwave, with a glass of water next to them, helps ensure that the pizza stays soft after being reheated, and doesn't dry out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »
    Personally, I order them online. If I have the time, I make it myself.
    Tried that once.

The combine harvester broke down so I had to wait another year :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So hard to get a veg pizza with no pesto. They use the cheapest nastiest vinegary crap and it ruins the whole thing. I gave up on frozen pizza when Gino (oh Gino) Ginelli went out of fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I guess they wouldn't be classed as frozen, but Centra ones are good, especially if add own toppings

Tried that once.

The combine harvester broke down so I had to wait another year :mad:
    Use a gun next time; have someone else do the work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Dr Oetker, whats the worst that could happen?

Perfect for all kinds of parties

17172884_401.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Like a few others here, I get a cheese one and add my own toppings.

But what is it with these food threads and Lidl/Aldi shoppers? They are worse than vegans for wanting everyone to know what they eat!

Every time a food thread starts you get "LidlyAldi do an amazing, delicious xxx for 25c" posts. Do you guys get paid by them or something?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was never a pizza lover. I think my Mother used to buy these god awful cheap ones from Quinnsworth years ago. The KVI range I think they were. Put me off for life.

Having said that, the Dr Oetker Risterante ones are quite nice. The Pollo one is divine. Nice and thin and crispy.

I cannot justify the calories from a takeaway pizza. Just not worth it for me.

If I'm pigging out it has to be Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

We buy pizza bases, pizza sauce and mozzarella and add our own toppings. We use a pizza stone too and let it get really hot first. About 10 minutes preheating and stick it in for 2-3 minutes less than the packet says.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Depends what frozen pizza it is. They have grown on me. Prefer them to the really thin ones our local pizza place does

A fifth of the price too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Like a few others here, I get a cheese one and add my own toppings.

But what is it with these food threads and Lidl/Aldi shoppers? They are worse than vegans for wanting everyone to know what they eat!

Every time a food thread starts you get "LidlyAldi do an amazing, delicious xxx for 25c" posts. Do you guys get paid by them or something?

Because they do nice food for cheap. A lot of people are still quite dismissive of them, but it's getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I leave the pizza thaw out, add my own mozzarella, rocket, tomatoes ham, olives etc....not bad, cooks in 7 mins.

What about the 9 hours you have to wait for it to thaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

6000198057282.jpg

xzanti wrote: »
    I cannot justify the calories from a takeaway pizza. Just not worth it for me.

If I'm pigging out it has to be Chinese.

What Irish people consider Chinese is more of an abomination than frozen pizza.

Wheety wrote: »
    Because they do nice food for cheap. A lot of people are still quite dismissive of them, but it's getting better.

Its cheap for a reason. Its muck that the other stores do not want.

There has been many a documentary about them!

Awards are bought. "Aldi voted best xxxxx ".. Yeah because you gave the highest bid in a secret auction!

Fake awards. Made up stuff. Washing up liquid - "Aldi award for cheapest" , Fairy "Award for shine", Asda "Award for longest lasting shine", Tesco, "Award for being environmentally friendly" etc.

Everyone gets an award or medal. Its bull. Same with the wine.

They buy awards.

Which one would you recommend watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I hate frozen pizzas full stop, they are much better cooked.

tuxy wrote: »
    Which one would you recommend watching?

BBC2 or Channel 4. And some of them cover the shops also.

Hygiene is lacking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Awards are bought. "Aldi voted best xxxxx ".. Yeah because you gave the highest bid in a secret auction!

Fake awards. Made up stuff. Washing up liquid - "Aldi award for cheapest" , Fairy "Award for shine", Asda "Award for longest lasting shine", Tesco, "Award for being environmentally friendly" etc.

Everyone gets an award or medal. Its bull. Same with the wine.

They buy awards.

I laughed hard after looking at one of Aldi Pizza I think with PAPA medal. PAPA is some Pasta and Pizza association. The pizza itself might be OK as this was one of the chilled specially selected ones.

Pasta and pizza association. Who made this things up 😂

Same with Italian Style meals. Just because there is a pasta or a tomato, that doesn't make it Italian in any way ;)

The Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association is the full name. PAPA. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think they can be excellent for the price as long as youre not expecting the bella italia autentico napoletano

*makes expressive hand gestures*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I enjoy the "Inferno" pizza €2 from Lidl. And it's seriously spicy! :p

Beats the more prominent brands like Goodfellas and such any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

There's never enough cheese on them.
    I buy a bag of grated mozzarella and keep it in the freezer to add on pizza's.

Have frozen roasted veg too from Tesco's, and I'll chop a handful and throw that on aswell.
    Tesco's do loads of frozen things that can be added.
    Frozen red & white onions, peppers, aubergine, mushrooms, chilli's etc.

Dried herbs.
    There's loads of ways of pimping up a €2 pizza.

That with a €1.50 bag of ceasar salad and it's night of fine dining at home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dr Oetker has gone downhill massively in recent years. You barely get any cheese on it. I still like the baguette ones though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like Chicago Town pizzas although they're awkward to cook. There's one of them that falls apart as you're taking it out of the oven. Aldi pizzas from the fridge are nice enough. Their frozen ones aren't that nice though.

I wish Goodfellas would start making those jalapeno and tortilla chip ones again. They were the nicest pizzas they ever made but for some reason they decided to make them a 'limited edition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Aldi Don Carlos pepperoni are decent.

Had a SuperValu own brand one recently and it was manky. Very hard base and scabby amount of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Goodfella's thin pizza are delicious, guaranteed not to get a load of dough like in other frozen pizza's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

DS86DS wrote: »
    Does anyone else find frozen pizzas from the supermarkets to be horrible and bland? Personally feel the only decent pizza is from a takeaway or restaurant.

this is hardly groundbreaking

pretty much every convenience food mass produced in a factory is manky - and bad for your health

learn how to make your own pizzas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I like Chicago Town pizzas although they're awkward to cook. There's one of them that falls apart as you're taking it out of the oven. Aldi pizzas from the fridge are nice enough. Their frozen ones aren't that nice though.

I wish Goodfellas would start making those jalapeno and tortilla chip ones again. They were the nicest pizzas they ever made but for some reason they decided to make them a 'limited edition'.

tenor.gif

Advertisement