Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Flint of The Prodigy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hope he's cremated to the firestarter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

e's are bad
    e's are bad

Wrong band and **** off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Gutted. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

One of my personal favourites:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Friend of mine bumped into Keith on the street once and said he was the nicest bloke, stood around for a 5 minute conversation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shocked. Also seen them in the point in 1996 at the tender age of 15, queuing up for the midnight release of Fat of the Land outside tower records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

It always pains to hear of someone passing away at a young age. 49 is still young.
    Now I wouldn't be the greatest fan in the world, but I do enjoy their music.
    I know what's going on my Spotify playlist for the walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I saw them less than six weeks ago for what turned out to be one of Keith's last ever gigs and he was in flying form.

The Prodigy got me into dance music as a teenager and they were brilliant each gig I went to. So many top quality tunes and Keith was such a good frontman, gutted.

Edit: Liam Howlett confirmed on Instagram that it was suicide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Met him years ago. A truly lovely guy. Rip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Danny_B wrote: »
    It always pains to hear of someone passing away at a young age. 49 is still young.
    Now I wouldn't be the greatest fan in the world, but I do enjoy their music.
    I know what's going on my Spotify playlist for the walk home.

He didn't 'pass away', he was killed by his own hand. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A post on the official Prodigy FB page confirmed the death but Liam Howlett posted on Instagram and confirmed that Keith took his own life.

I've been a huge Prodigy fan since the mid 90's. I feel uneasy and absolutely shocked over the news.

What effect did all the drugs have on his mind? I remember an interview in mixmag a long time ago and he was saying his drug of choice was ketamine and liquid ecstasy. Can't be good. There's a lesson there any drug takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Legend. Rip Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

One of the few bands I'd go to again and again.Pure class.
    May he rest in peace.
    My heart breaks for his friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

seemed liked such a down to earth guy in anything i saw him interviewed.... my favourite band as a youngster....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Very sad news

I absolutely loved The Prodigy. They are probably the main reason why I have tinnitus

My deepest condolences to his family and friends and to the rest of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sad news, I was a 90s curehead but I'm glad I saw them play at Feile 95, fantastic live act. One of those bands that really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Can’t beleive it’s suicide

Neither can I, obviously never knew the bloke personally but his persona always came across as an energetic high on life extrovert, just can't picture him depressed even with the drink and drug lifestyle he was associated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

One of my personal favourites:

That's the $hit right there :cool:

I'll never forget HiFi 06.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

Feel awful bad for poor Liam, this is the end of The Prodigy as in a live band. Hopefully he can continue to still create his music, maybe in a different style or way.
    First two albums are always special to me, Liam Howlett's Dirtchamber Session DJ mix is also a big favourite of mine. Hopefully he'll get into something similar like that after a while. He must be beyond gutted in grief. And he is a fantastic soundscape creator, mixer and blender.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was an Indie/Grunge fan when a teenager and I remember this band popping up amongst the rave heads, especially "Out of space". They were just too good to dismiss as just another dance band.

I remember bombing around in my 1984 Polo on my provisional license, with the windows down and blaring "Fat of the Land". The neighbours are still probably cursing me for that. Saw them in 1997 at the Trip to Tipp also.

Actually a bit shocked to learn that Keith was only 9 years older than me. It's sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    ahh well

nice contribution... fool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Another great artist gone too soon.

RIP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In my youth, I was a staunch rap fan. Nothing turned my head until I heard Charlie. I secretly listened to the first album non-stop.
    And when Jilted came out, my jaysus, it was more hip hoppy beats in it so my love for The Prodigy was OK.

If I remember correctly, there was a countdown to the new video for Firestarter on MTV and I tuned in to watch it. Keith commanded that video/song from the first couple of frames/bars.
    I listened to a podcast recently with Liam and the story behind the video, absolutely amazing.

RIP Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

At their best they were pretty awesome.

Real sense of menace and raw power to their music.

Even more so live. They genuinely brought the punk atttitude into dance music.

Lot of it was down to Keith RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

What effect did all the drugs have on his mind? I remember an interview in mixmag a long time ago and he was saying his drug of choice was ketamine and liquid ecstasy. Can't be good. There's a lesson there any drug takers.

possible but also many famous people struggle with getting older, just like normal folk, however arguably a lot more pressure on them. Life is life, can be tough going sometimes, Keith just didn't make it on this occasion - great bloke though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

skynews-keith-flint-prodigy_4596993.jpg

Shocking news.
    R.I.P. Keith, you were one of the Greatest Showmen I ever had the pleasure to watch live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

That was a shock to learn of his death.

I remember as a kid taping some of their early stuff off the radio before I was allowed to go out and get their second album 'Music for the Jilted Generation'.

RIP.

Advertisement