Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Voting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

10 day voting window.

Login to evoting using Mygovid

Postal confirmation of registered vote issued with a confirmation pin number , 2FA / mobile confirmation

Exact same process as mywelfare or Ros.

The wish to remain anonymous crowd can keep doing it the 70s way

Everything is doable it just takes the want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

kneemos wrote: »
    I see it more as a representation issue. Politicians know who the serial voters are and pander to their every whim.
    If everyone or most people vote they can't descriminate.

That's mainly based on exit poll data though isnt it. Given the sample size involved I would have concerns over the legitimacy of that as a data source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

10 day voting window.

Postal confirmation of registered vote issued with a confirmation pin number , 2FA / mobile confirmation

Close but someone can buy votes and make you vote on the spot.

And it's easy to change an electronic vote once it has been submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How?

People get polling cards for several addresses or for people that no longer live at an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

10 day voting window.

Again, ROS, etc. ties everything to the user processing it, as they must. Voting systems absolutely cannot do that!!

Security and access control to the action of voting is actually a comparatively small concern for this. It's everything after the vote is cast that is fraught with problems.

• Advertisement

People get polling cards for several addresses or for people that no longer live at an address.

Then tidy up the existing database rather than try invent a new system.

Ideally we should declare the current registers void and initiate a campaign to get people registered at their correct addresses

I'm thinking of another alternative but it may have a flaw. You log in somewhere that presents you with a voting number just for this election. Then you vote and your vote is published publicly with your voting number that only you have access to on the online portal. So that you can see your vote has been counted but nobody can see a name on it, only a number that only you know.

It is vulnerable to someone forcing you to vote a certain way. It is slightly open to hacking of accounts but hacked accounts might be noticed and is forcing someone to vote likely to happen in this society?

P_1 wrote: »
    Then tidy up the existing database rather than try invent a new system.

Ideally we should declare the current registers void and initiate a campaign to get people registered at their correct addresses

I'd even argue that should happen every x years. The electoral register should be binned on every 29th of February.

P_1 wrote: »
    That's mainly based on exit poll data though isnt it. Given the sample size involved I would have concerns over the legitimacy of that as a data source.

We know the elderly are dedicated voters,younger generation not so much. They even avoid holidays to hold elections to ensure a lower left/student outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Its also open to people very easily selling their vote, by allowing third parties access to their smart device to cast a vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a separate issue, and online voting will be vulnerable to the same problems with the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

But what would the connected gombeens with the rulers and pencils do for the 500 euro a day if the puters took over?

But what would the connected gombeens with the rulers and pencils do for the 500 euro a day if the puters took over?

I do think this might be a reason stifling progress though I'm sure they'd have them counting the lines on an Excel spreadsheet or something - you can't be trusting those Microsoft lads ya know

cython wrote: »
    Again, ROS, etc. ties everything to the user processing it, as they must. Voting systems absolutely cannot do that!!

Security and access control to the action of voting is actually a comparatively small concern for this. It's everything after the vote is cast that is fraught with problems.

Tokenisation my friend. Your rethoric doesn't pay attention to what is technologically possible.

Tokenisation my friend. Your rethoric doesn't pay attention to what is technologically possible.

Tokenisation is still ultimately resolvable to connect the dots with all the parts of the puzzle. Ergo does not address the problem here. Try again though.

A lot of students or people working away don't get to vote.

Could never figure out why elections can't be held on a weekend anyway,even Saturday and Sunday.

Polls are open 7am til 10pm. If you can't be around between those times on a Friday then tough. It's a privilege, duty and a responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

A lot of students or people working away don't get to vote.

There's also a lot of people who haven't updated their address and have to return to their parents' areas just to vote. It gives me the feeling that they'd prefer students and young workers not to bother (depending on the poll).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It would be a sad day if e voting replaced the current system, which of itself is a great spectacle.

Would a 2 day window to vote, say both Friday and Saturday not be a better idea to increase participation?

Polls are open 7am til 10pm. If you can't be around between those times on a Friday then tough. It's a privilege, duty and a responsibility.
    Someone from Kilkenny, living in Dublin, who studies by day and has to work nights wouldn't see it that way.

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    There's also a lot of people who haven't updated their address and have to return to their parents' areas just to vote. It gives me the feeling that they'd prefer students and young workers not to bother (depending on the poll).

Realistically though, that's the problem of those people. And I'm one of them, pure inertia has seen me not move my vote to my current address in Dublin. I can appreciate some people (especially students who may intend to eventually live near home again) may prefer to vote for local, Dail and MEP elections in their home constituencies, but for presidential elections and referendums there's no excuse for them not having their vote locally.

It's a privilege, duty and a responsibility.

For important stuff like the eight, SSM etc.. I would agree.

For deciding on whose seven year benevolent fund we would like to grant, a little less so. To me and an exceptionally large proportion of those around me, voting on something irrelevant like this is a farce and certainly not something I would go to time or expense to facilitate. That was borne out in attendance.

If Fridays vote had an actual useful purpose then attendance would reflect that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sites such as eBay, Amazon or your bank etc can maintain security, don't see why a voting site couldn't.

To be fair, I worked for a huge multinational running an incident when it was hacked and millions of people had their info stolen. And it's one you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that I'm against your idea. It's just that you have to remember that any system such as this is vulnerable.

That doesn't mean that it can't be done. It just means that you have to have really high grade encryption so that if it does get hacked the information is useless.

I don't know if it could be done now, but we'll see it in the future.

For now though, early voting for referendums etc would help turnout a lot more.

I do think this might be a reason stifling progress though I'm sure they'd have them counting the lines on an Excel spreadsheet or something - you can't be trusting those Microsoft lads ya know

You're right - you can't be trusting those Microsoft lads or those Google lads or those AMD lads to choose the next Government.

cython wrote: »
    Tokenisation is still ultimately resolvable to connect the dots with all the parts of the puzzle. Ergo does not address the problem here. Try again though.

I'm afraid you are talking out of your hole

Someone from Kilkenny, living in Dublin, who studies by day and has to work nights wouldn't see it that way.

If you're living in Dublin, your vote should be in Dublin.

If you're living in Dublin, your vote should be in Dublin.
    Yes, but for many people that would involve updating their address on the register every single year (which has to be witnessed by a Garda and posted to the local council), far enough in advance of a vote. We shouldn't expect so many people to do that.

It would be a sad day if e voting replaced the current system, which of itself is a great spectacle.

The exit poll takes the suspense out of it anyway.

Yes, but for many people that would involve updating their address on the register every single year (which has to be witnessed by a Garda), far enough in advance. We shouldn't expect so many people to do that.

No witnessing needed. You request a form be sent to your address, you fill it in and send it back

• Advertisement

They can update their address then.
    If they live in Dublin they should vote in Dublin.

Advertisement