Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crazy overtaking on the R148

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Well obviously those idiots we saw in the video do. I think that's who this thread is referring to n'est pas?

Yes, but they're not speeding because they're mean.

Not defending them in any way at all, I just didn't see him come off the motorway at Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

What kind of deranged fool names a town "Kilcock" anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Patricia Meath

BMJD wrote: »
    I do that sort of thing all the ****ing time. In the supermarket. When oul ones won't get their ****ing trolleys out of the way. I just motor onto the wrong side of the aisle and play chicken with the son of an unnamed goat coming towards me on the other side. I eyeball that mother****er, they know they can't do ****. Pull your goddamn trolley in to the side because I am coming through and you ain't gonna stop me, bitch. Then I get my sliced pan and I'm good to go.

What brand bread do you buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

What brand bread do you buy ?

Brennan's of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Mech1 wrote: »
    Tonight on Leapardstown Road, Dublin. Goto 1min 07 sec if your too busy to watch it all, slow motion in same clip.

Wow, you kept it together pretty well after that, nerves o steel.
    Looks like he did a slide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Jesus, bring on the automated cars so we don't need to put up with mongoloids like that anymore. Brb my journey is gonna take an extra 5 mins, better risk multiple people's lives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

What kind of deranged tool names a town "Kilcock" anyway?
    fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Patricia Meath

Yes, but they're not speeding because they're mean.

Not defending them in any way at all, I just didn't see him come off the motorway at Kilcock.

That's true- we don't know if he came off motorway or out of T junction 500 metres back. However I travel that bit of road twice a day every day and the majority of cars on it have come off motorway .I think perhaps they are indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

wil wrote: »
    Wow, you kept it together pretty well after that, nerves o steel.
    Looks like he did a slide.

No he didnt slide/ skid from what I seen, just mega risky, I was catching the white van and didnt pass just yet due to the roadworks in his lane.

After Mr Bmw comes through I admit im a bit riled up and go faster hoping he will get caught at the roundabout or next lights so I can get a reg. I didnt .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

i would have been hoping he spun out at the roundabout and wrapped his 'BMW' around the nearest pole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This,

ladies and gentleman,

is an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Muppetsville. Going by the video.

Know it well, theres a pub there called 'the muppet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Mech1 wrote: »
    Tonight on Leapardstown Road, Dublin. Goto 1min 07 sec if your too busy to watch it all, slow motion in same clip. Reported to Gardaí.

The Cult, eh ?

So it's not just a driving offence, but also one against the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

FFS, that was a close one.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Doesn't seem that bad to me, I've certainly seen worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jesus, bring on the automated cars so we don't need to put up with mongoloids like that anymore. Brb my journey is gonna take an extra 5 mins, better risk multiple people's lives

Automated cars are a long long long way off to be used to eradicate stupidity on the roads. Whilst the cars will become available .. the infrastructure needs to catch up to facilitate that.. so good luck waiting on that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GBX wrote: »
    Automated cars are a long long long way off to be used to eradicate stupidity on the roads. Whilst the cars will become available .. the infrastructure needs to catch up to facilitate that.. so good luck waiting on that
    The new cars are autonomous. They work off GPS but also radar and onboard cameras. They won't need infrastructure outside of the GPS system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

newmug wrote: »
    Well any idiot can tell that. Demonstrate your intelligence and tell us where in the country that is, and specifically, the name of the area in that clip.

Oh you silly, silly person. The fact that the joke was lost on you was made up by the irony of your post. As mentioned, see the bottom right of the video for the location in which this incident took place. I'll bring you there some day if that's not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That video was recorded by a fellow Boardsie and has been tweeted to the Guards.
    If people want to know what the reg was then it was this - 06D60048 and for sure it wasn't a Garda car as someone already said :rolleyes:
    If people want to re-tweet it to the Guards then here is their account on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/with_replies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This driver appears to be able to see a third lane on this particular stretch of road.

• Advertisement

This driver appears to be able to see a third lane on this particular stretch of road.
    In most other countries I've been able to travel through, on roads like that with verges people tend to use the verges to let faster cars through. We don't like being overtaken in this country. There are people who will make a point of making it as difficult as possible to let cars overtake them because they seem to feel everyone else should be doing 70kph as well.

In Ireland we have big variations between driving styles. We seem to have a fast camp and a slow camp, both camps hate each other and won't even entertain the other sides view. We're extremely inconsiderate drivers in every conceivable way. From the way we drive, to the way we use junctions to the way we park cars. How many times have you gone to the petrol station only to be blocked by someone who's just abandoned their car in an awkward spot to go into the shop? They're not even getting fuel but have decided to block entrance to the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

ScumLord wrote: »
    In most other countries I've been able to travel through, on roads like that with verges people tend to use the verges to let faster cars through. We don't like being overtaken in this country. There are people who will make a point of making it as difficult as possible to let cars overtake them because they seem to feel everyone else should be doing 70kph as well.

In Ireland we have big variations between driving styles. We seem to have a fast camp and a slow camp, both camps hate each other and won't even entertain the other sides view. We're extremely inconsiderate drivers in every conceivable way. From the way we drive, to the way we use junctions to the way we park cars. How many times have you gone to the petrol station only to be blocked by someone who's just abandoned their car in an awkward spot to go into the shop? They're not even getting fuel but have decided to block entrance to the pumps.

I'd agree with most of that.
    Although, having driven and still am around Europe I can easily see how bad the habits in other countries are as well.
    Italy for example... enough said.
    Germany would be by far the best I've seen.
    Poland, I've seen quite a lot of that type of overtake in PL.
    The one thing I've noticed though are the bastards that go to the car wash at the petrol station, leave the car there and then go and buy the ticket so as the person who actually has the bloody ticket can't go first :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

What kind of deranged fool names a town "Kilcock" anyway?

The same deranged fool that names a place "Bangkok".

bear1 wrote: »
    Although, having driven and still am around Europe I can easily see how bad the habits in other countries are as well.
    I'm always astonished by the politeness of drivers in the UK. Their much more aware of the overall traffic situation and there really is a team effort from drivers to keep everything moving. At junctions where it's 50/50 on right of way they always take turns, on motorways you'll see a souped up honda civic make way for a truck. You just don't get that on Irish roads where it's every man for themselves even at their own detriment in the long run.

If I'm in slow moving traffic and a car on the other side of the road is trying to turn across my lane at a junction I'll always let them through because they're holding up traffic behind them but in front of me. Not letting that car through could mean I can't get out of a junction up ahead because cars are backed up behind the car I passed trying to turn off. That's the kind of awareness that eludes most Irish drivers. They'll just pull in front of the guy trying to turn and stare ahead trying to avoid eye contact because they know how much of a **** their being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm always astonished by the politeness of drivers in the UK. Their much more aware of the overall traffic situation and there really is a team effort from drivers to keep everything moving. At junctions where it's 50/50 on right of way they always take turns, on motorways you'll see a souped up honda civic make way for a truck. You just don't get that on Irish roads where it's every man for themselves even at their own detriment in the long run.

If I'm in slow moving traffic and a car on the other side of the road is trying to turn across my lane at a junction I'll always let them through because they're holding up traffic behind them but in front of me. Not letting that car through could mean I can't get out of a junction up ahead because cars are backed up behind the car I passed trying to turn off. That's the kind of awareness that eludes most Irish drivers. They'll just pull in front of the guy trying to turn and stare ahead trying to avoid eye contact because they know how much of a **** their being.

One thing we suffer from here is social immaturity on a mass scale. It can be the smallest thing.

When it comes to driving style, we are sh!te in most situations.

So last year I drove 1000km in a day from North to South France. Universally, drivers would pull in from the overtaking lane, or move out at junctions to allow traffic to merge - here people will speed up to stop you getting into the motorway that's moving at 120kph - wtf?

We drove on black Friday which is appently the busiest day when all the French schools break for summer. At major motorway junctions, they were indeed busy - but no fools trying to come up the inside to get two cars ahead or beeping at a solid lane of traffic or doing crazy three point turns to go the other way. People just accepted the situation and used their cop on to get through.

Also - swan necking? Wtf is the obsession here with it. So someone turns left at the lights and the driver behind takes a dramatic turn tight to get around them. Why not wait the one or two seconds it takes for the person in front to complete their turn rather than steaming into oncoming traffic?

We do have a funny attitude towards overtaking. So the other day I'm driving south bound on the m50 - Im overtaking a line of traffic then I indicate left to move back in. The bint behind me speeds up to stop me getting back in - mouthing something I could see in the mirror as well.

Advertisement