Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Indian takeaway food so expensive in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Is there a reason why Indian food in Ireland so expensive here. I have made many trips to Manchester and Liverpool many times and always enjoy going for Indian food, its good value and the prices on an average Restaurant/Take Away are around 1/3 of that of an average suburban Restaurant/take away in Ireland. Is this due to having a small Indian population compared to the UK because the population here has increased a fair bit as has the number of Indian places yet the prices are still really high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

100's of reasons like tax , rates, wages, insurance ,blah blah. That is why things are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well most of the better of them tend to have far bigger menus than Chinese or traditional takeaways and need to pay for all the stuff the you might order.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika

Y'know that cheap Indian restaurant you ate in over in Liverpool? Well that wasn't chicken in the tikka masala.
    Nice though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

India was never a colony of the Republic of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why is it impossible to get a vegetarian Korma here too. Very annoying.:mad:

• Advertisement

dpofloinn wrote: »
    100's of reasons like tax , rates, wages, insurance ,blah blah. That is why things are expensive

Does not wash as Chinese and other places seem on a par with the UK. It is just Indians that are taking the ****...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Who eats Indian food? Not even the Indians do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why is it impossible to get a vegetarian Korma here too. Very annoying.:mad:

Because that's just wrong on every level?, go graze the front lawn if you're lacking veggie options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

because most often, we dont have Indian takeaways, we have Indian restaurants that offer takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd rather pay the extra euro or two least know foods on a different level to most of the muck the average chinnese takeaway serves.

• Advertisement

tecknika wrote: »
    Does not wash as Chinese and other places seem on a par with the UK. It is just Indians that are taking the ****...

apples and oranges or in this scenario cats and lamb

I love the stuff, everything I have tried in an Indian restaurant I have loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

It's a long drive from India

Because that's just wrong on every level?, go graze the front lawn if you're lacking veggie options

God forbid someone wants to eat a non meat dish :rolleyes:

dpofloinn wrote: »
    apples and oranges or in this scenario cats and lamb

stay classy chief

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd rather pay the extra euro or two least know foods on a different level to most of the muck the average chinnese takeaway serves.

Paying more doesn't let you know anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

You could try and learn how to cook some of your favourite dishes yourself? Much cheaper. The takeaways use a lot of oil, so probably healthier too.

Check out this thread to start you off: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jaysus, I'd love a Korma right now

Meat is murder!!

Tasty delicious murder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Can they not just pick the lumps of beef out then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Why are there no Irish take aways?! Huh, huh?!

There's nothing I'd like more at 3am, locked, than a nice corned beef sandwich! Better still, a big bowl of coddle with slices of white buttered bread. Or, or, or a bacon, cabbage and mashed spuds wrap with brown sauce!

stay classy chief

Hey if you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I love the stuff, everything I have tried in an Indian restaurant I have loved.

What's your BMI? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

To be fair it's the most tasty laxative I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

God forbid you cooked dinner and someone wanted to eat meat :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Apache Pizza are fairly reasonable. Lets not tar all Indians with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

G'way over to London or somewhere fancy like that if you want to be at that craic.

Paying more doesn't let you know anything of the sort.

Ive found your average Indian takeaway is nearly always better quality then average Chinese.

Can they not just pick the lumps of beef out then?

No they probably wouldn't want to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

There's a snobbish perception here about how much higher quality a fast food like Indian takeaway is compared to a fast food like Chinese takeaway so the former costs a lot more.

Advertisement