Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »
    much better option than Manquillo who hasn't impressed me one bit and should go back to Spain in the summer

He had a fair start, but he is a bit blah - not a brilliant defender, not a brilliant attacker. Reminds me of Josemi.

With Flanagan and Wisdom probably both in the mix for RB next season, even if Johnson leaves, I am not sure we have room for him. Especially if we keep playing a back 3, that better suits Ibe or even McLaughlin who are quicker and more wing backs than full backs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

rob316 wrote: »
    Besiktas away Thursday and City at home Sunday. Going to be a really tough week.
    I'm predicting Sturridge to have a really big part to play in both.

We have to draw with City at the very least if we are to keep in the Top 4 hunt, but our record is good at home to City, a win isn't out of the question.
    Because of our current run a loss against City would not be the end of the world. The team should put everything into getting the required result on Thursday. Dropping points against City won't be the reason we miss out on the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

8-10 wrote: »
    much better option than Manquillo who hasn't impressed me one bit and should go back to Spain in the summer

Thought he's done ok. He's only 20 also, plenty of time to improve his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Most of Manquillos game time came when we were crap.

When most of our players looked poor.

He is only young and should be given more chances before he is discarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Manquillo is a decent squad player at worst, he has lots of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah it's fairly ridiculous having Noel Gallagher on MOTD, but when you look at who is on either side of him maybe it's not the worst idea in the world.

Yeah clearly handball outside the box, red and card and penalty :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I dunno what to think about markovic, he has tailed off alot recently, he was just starting to win fans over and start to look good for his 20mil, but he really needs a shoe in the arse to get him going again

Besiktas away Thursday and City at home Sunday. Going to be a really tough week.
    I'm predicting Sturridge to have a really big part to play in both.

We have to draw with City at the very least if we are to keep in the Top 4 hunt, but our record is good at home to City, a win isn't out of the question.

We still need to do a job on Thurs, so I suspect we'll start a strong side and use the bench for players like Sturridge, Ibe and Coutinho to keep some gas for Sunday. Nice timing for Sterling having a few games off, he can start both.
    Dunno the state of Sakho, he was due a scan so I would imagine it's a week or two out...

Thurs: Migs, Lovren, Skrtel, Can, Ibe, Allen, Henderson, Moreno, Sterling, Sturridge, Balotelli
    Sunday: Coutinho for Balo

Looking very short of rotation options - only Toure at CB, nothing at CM, and Balo, Lallana, Maro (for the league) and Johnson
    Not really counting Borini or Lambert as viable options, loolking at how critical every game is now...

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I dunno what to think about markovic, he has tailed off alot recently, he was just starting to win fans over and start to look good for his 20mil, but he really needs a shoe in the arse to get him going again

Yesterday was not a day for him. He's not a defender, and was getting hammered by Clyne down that side. Can is not as good at backing up his wide man as Sakho is. Mamadou would have given Clyne a warmerer-uper early doors. :D

Between that and the crally conditions, he was on a hiding to nothing. Works much better for Ibe, who is more about close control and working little angles, and didn't have a marauding full back to contain...

New country, completely new position. I think he has been doing fine. We can't expect to see the best of him until he plays more in his best position

• Advertisement

Ibe really looks the business

Next season we will hopefully have Sturridge, Sterling, Ibe, Origi, and Lazar in the forward areas. Frightening pace.

Add Coutinho, Lallana, Mario and hopefully a striker signed in the summer and those are plentiful options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd start Gerrard in CM on Thursday if he is any bit fit. Give one of Hendo/Allen a rest, rest & ready for Sunday. Think Lovren will play too. Think Borini should start too as his pressing will suit the away game. Mario should play some part too. As long as Coutinho gets some rest! I keep saying that most games now. Need him at his best for Sunday of we want to get anything.

Anyone else take the point against City?

If you were to offer me 8 points before West Ham (h), Spurs (h), Saints (a) City (h) all while playing & winning cup games in between, I would certainly taken it. We already have 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The key game in getting top 4 will be having to beat utd. I expected to be still 5 pts behind them at best before the weekend. If we can beat utd and are within 2 pts of them after that I'd be very confident of getting top 4. The results at the weekend have given us a little bit of leeway before that game. If we get through the Europa league hopefully we are drawn away in the the first leg as it is
    Thurs el
    Mon swansea away
    Thurs el
    Sun utd home
    Much better to have the away leg before the swans game with an extra days recovery.

Thurs el
    Mon swansea away
    Thurs el
    Sun utd home
    Much better to have the away leg before the swans game with an extra days recovery.

Assuming it comes to that (EL), at least the games are spaced out well.
    But we'll need Enrique back fit, Johnson to show some fight, Borini, Lambert and Toure to all be ready when called on. And if Stevie, Lucas and Sakho could all get back for the last 10 or 15 games, that would be great!

A forgotten up-side to yesterday, the age of our starting XI -

Migs - 26
    Lovren - 25
    Skrtel - 30
    Can - 21
    Ibe - 19
    Allen - 24
    Hendo - 24
    Marko - 20
    Coutinho - 22
    Lallana - 26
    Sterling - 20

Average = 23

Moreno also only 22. Hell, Sturridge is only 25 and Balotelli is only 24!!

So apart from Stevie, no-one even close to needing to be replaced. Lots of roomn to improve as they play together more, and as they develop and mature (particularly the likes of Can, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe and Marko).
    And lots of sell-on value if we decide to part with any of them.

It's all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness to him he was completely out of position yesterday. He's been a right sided attacking player his whole (brief) career and yesterday he was playing as a left sided wing-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NukaCola wrote: »
    Moreno looks a good player, if he can improve the consistency of his delivery he'll be a real threat going forward.

Yep, said it in the other thread. As good and all as he is getting up and supporting the attack, his final ball is still very poor. For sterling's goal yesterday a better ball and he would have picked out sturridge at the back post for a tap in. Still, a great prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

In fairness to him he was completely out of position yesterday. He's been a right sided attacking player his whole (brief) career and yesterday he was playing as a left sided wing-back.

Personally i dont think we will see the best of Markovic until next season.

He was lost yesterday but as pointed out he was completely out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dickerty wrote: »
    A forgotten up-side to yesterday, the age of our starting XI -

Migs - 26
    Lovren - 25
    Skrtel - 30
    Can - 21
    Ibe - 19
    Allen - 24
    Hendo - 24
    Marko - 20
    Coutinho - 22
    Lallana - 26
    Sterling - 20

Average = 23

Moreno also only 22. Hell, Sturridge is only 25 and Balotelli is only 24!!

So apart from Stevie, no-one even close to needing to be replaced. Lots of roomn to improve as they play together more, and as they develop and mature (particularly the likes of Can, Sterling, Coutinho, Ibe and Marko).
    And lots of sell-on value if we decide to part with any of them.

It's all good!

Honestly I think we have the most exciting squad in the league, a couple of real quality additions up front, midfield and defence and we can challenge for the league next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Didn't he start one of the first 343 games at lwb?

It might suit him more being able to cut in and shoot with his stronger foot, if he can settle there.

• Advertisement

Didn't he start one of the first 343 games at lwb? ..............

Yep, he has played there for us when Hendo was RWB, Rodgers was slated on here for it.

At worst, he's an option there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Drum Roll please !

LOAN WATCH

OJo - Wigan - Full game in 3-0 loss (but again played well)
    Texieria - Brighton & Hove Albion - 83 minutes and 2 goals in 4-3 win
    Wisdom - West Brom - Unused sub again
    Alberto - Malaga - No game
    Origi - Lille - 60th min sub in 2-1 defeat
    Ilori - Bordeaux - Not in squad due to illness
    Coates - Sunderland - unused sub
    Aspas - Sevilla - Injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Next season we will hopefully have Sturridge, Sterling, Ibe, Origi, andn in the forward areas. Frightening pace.

Add Coutinho, Lallana, Mario and hopefully a striker signed in the summer and those are plentiful options

He's gash. No idea of Origi will be any use. What's for lunch?

Drum Roll please !

LOAN WATCH

OJo - Wigan - Full game in 3-0 loss (but again played well)
    Texieria - Brighton & Hove Albion - 83 minutes and 2 goals in 4-3 win
    Wisdom - West Brom - Unused sub again
    Alberto - Malaga - No game
    Origi - Lille - 60th min sub in 2-1 defeat
    Ilori - Bordeaux - Not in squad due to illness
    Coates - Sunderland - unused sub
    Aspas - Sevilla - Injured

Not looking good for Wisdom under Pulis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not looking good for Wisdom under Pulis.

Origi hasent scored in months either

klose wrote: »
    Origi hasent scored in months either

4 goals in 31

I'd ship on loan again next year if needs me. To a club who will play to his strengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,899 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Pulis doesn't rate him as a defender it's not looking good for Wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think the 3-0 loss to Spurs may have a lot to do with him not playing. Some sections of the WestBrom crowd cheered as he was subbed off.
    Unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honestly I think we have the most exciting squad in the league, a couple of real quality additions up front, midfield and defence and we can challenge for the league next season.

Of course, this has been the case since the dawn of man in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, that would be my view on it. Pulis has a good eye for a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Teixeia made Championship team of the week.B-hV6IjIgAApieG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

You have to wonder were he would fit in with our currently system. He isn't anywhere near good enough in an attacking sense to play wingback. He hasn't played as a cb since his youth days and he doesn't look good enough on the ball anyway for what we would require.

You have to wonder were he would fit in with our currently system. He isn't anywhere near good enough in an attacking sense to play wingback. He hasn't played as a cb since his youth days and he doesn't look good enough on the ball anyway for what we would require.

I never understood the insistance of playing him as a RB, both for us and on loan. He is much more a RCB, good in the air and in the tackle. But not got the pace or guile to be an attacking threat.

If Pulis isn't going to use him, I say we talk to West Brom about bringing him back early. They save the wages, and we get back-up for right of the three CBs, if we need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Mr Alans gone pretty quiet lately

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Hes better than Johnson and Lovren anyway

• Advertisement

It's been a great start. It should come with a health warning that he will have a dip in form just like Sterling did after a superb first five starts; just as the Hungarian kid for Utd had after a few very promising games at the start of last season. It will happen because full backs will be better prepped for him with more game footage and opposition coaching devoted to what he likes to do and when.

The hope will be that it isn't a fatal drop off (like Sterling). But everyone needs to accept that it is very likely to come and not panic massively when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The hope will be that it isn't a fatal drop off (like Sterling).

Sterling has had a fatal drop off?

Fatal makes it sound like he'll be playing non-league football in 18 months.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Hes better than Johnson and Lovren anyway

No, he's not!
    And you deliberately excluded the end of the sentance "in an attacking sense".
    Because, in an attacking sense, he would be behind Johnson. And in a defensive sense, he's behind Lovren IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What's the story with Sakho's inury?

Great to see us winning clinically away from home against decent opposition - sure there was a few hairy moments in the first half...some of it self-inflicted but we seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on without playing that fluently.

We do have the squad and options not to overuse Ibe though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Sterling has had a fatal drop off?

Fatal makes it sound like he'll be playing non-league football in 18 months.

No, I meant the dropoff isn't fatal and is just a blip - like Sterling.

K-9 wrote: »
    We do have the squad and options not to overuse Ibe though.

Even without overuse though the reality is that he'll stop getting away with the same feints and tricks and need to adapt to defenders who are better prepared for him when he's on the pitch.

He's been electric enough thus far that I'm sure he'll make it, but there will be bumps in the road.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Even without overuse though the reality is that he'll stop getting away with the same feints and tricks and need to adapt to defenders who are better prepared for him when he's on the pitch.

He's been electric enough thus far that I'm sure he'll make it, but there will be bumps in the road.

Definitely, Flanagan anyone?

Looks a much more rounded player than in the pre season games last year and the year before so I'm hopeful long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Dickerty wrote: »
    No, he's not!
    And you deliberately excluded the end of the sentance "in an attacking sense".
    Because, in an attacking sense, he would be behind Johnson. And in a defensive sense, he's behind Lovren IMO...

Ok Ill agree with you on the Johnson part but no on the Lovren count who always looks like hes going to self destruct defensively at any moment.

What defensive sense does he have? He barely has sense of his own existence hes so uncoordinated and clumsy. We were had by Southampton big time

Lovren was terrible yesterday. The way he was beat by a simple ball over the top for the Elia chance was so very dreadful. Just not aware of what's around him and lacking a natural instinct for danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If wisdom is behind lovren in a defensive sense he may aswell quit now, because lovrens defensive abilities are non existant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ba injured for thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What's the story with Sakho's inury?

Great to see us winning clinically away from home against decent opposition - sure there was a few hairy moments in the first half...some of it self-inflicted but we seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on without playing that fluently.

A knock to his hip, Rodgers said he would get a scan today but James Pearce of the echo said it's only a minor thing. Hopefully will be ok for Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Might get time to update the top 4 table in a bit. Should be interesting following the weekend results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm scratching my head as to what made the TC cough up £20m for Lovren. £20m is a huge chunk of change for a centre back. If we sell him in the summer we will make a huge loss, someone might take a punt for £8m but I'm not very hopeful.
    Shocking signing.

Fonte did some job at making him look good. We could have bought Fonte for half the price.

If Lovren is the only dud from the summer signings and goes on to make little/no contribution in the coming years it will have been a pretty good window last summer looking back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement