Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was going to hire in an aerator. Can I sow grass now or do I need to wait a bit more for temp to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you were sowing a football pitch I'd say wait a little longer but for the amount you are sowing just check we aren't due a cold snap.

Again with regards to area an aerator might be over kill. They can be good machines but imo more use on larger plots. Regular use of a fork will be just as good on a smaller area. It might also tell you whats down below. Hopefully the fork can be pushed nearly all the way in if not then you might have a load of rubble below the top soil and how far down the fork goes tells along with what you can feel will tell you how much of a problem that might be.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Great advice. There was a hole drilled in the bottom of the pot, defintely drilled after purchase. For now it seems to be OK, if it becomes a triffid I'm outta here ! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

Me again, are the Oxails on the bottom right of the picture? Assume I should get rid of these as soon as possible?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Yes, that's oxalis. I think you have only weeds in that patch. Dig the thistle and dock out and get as much of the root as you can. Ground is soft now so you should get a good amount of root. Keep digging them out as they appear and you'll eventually be rid of them. You could use a weed killer carefully on each weed but those tend to regrow anyway.

The other weeds are easy enough to remove with regular attention. Take your hoe when you walk around the garden and stop weeds in their tracks.

You'll soon recognise weeds from desirable plants. We have all nourished a plant which turned out to be a weed.

Maybe label anything you plant for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, everyone is right about the celandine, but when you remove it dig deep, the bulb is usually very deep and very willing to multiply with enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

thanks, have start labeling stuff, but "inherited" the garden and not much experience so really appreciate the help here.

It's a big enough lawn, just those 2 patches. I'll aerate the entire lawn somehow.

Will get the grass seed on now if it ever dies up a bit so I'm not churning mud.

I can see puddles lying on the clay surface so probably a drainage issue.

Do remember that this year has been exceptional for winter rain. I've a rough area that is normally lush and a pain to keep on top of but this year its nearly waterlogged and the growth is very poor, been out cutting today and there's nothing on that bit and long grass in other areas.

If you are doing anything about drainage you need somewhere for the water to go. Even a soakaway will pull in water from a good distance around without any pipework - obviously depending on the water level in the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just my two cents, i think you're better off applying a weed/feed/mosskilller first when it dries/warms up a bit, and then do the overseeding next month. Get a no. 3 grass seed mix which will be better at resisting any waterlogging.

• Advertisement

It is mostly on a slope apart from those parts. I know it has been a rough winter, but I've now got to deal with the effects of it.

I got it cut at weekend and it has gone so far backwards.

@standardg60 - I've got a westland mix. Don't see any number reference on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

Hey all, have been reading through the thread and you seem like a very helpful bunch so I'm looking for some advice. New build garden and it's absolutely full of weeds. I've tried spraying with a weed and feed weedkiller a couple of times last year but it didn't make any difference.

Now that we're getting into spring/summer I'd really like to tackle this and get an actual garden I don't hate the sight of.

Do I go out and dig up as much as I can and then compost + grass seed? Or is there a treatment that will help?

Complete and utter beginner, so any help appreciated. I assumed I'd buy some weedkiller in Woodies, spray the weeds and they'd disappear, seems there's more to it than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There's only a little bit more to it in my book. You have to select your targets at the right time and have a good period of dry afterwards to make it work. The selective weedkillers (weed and feed) depend on the leaves absorbing the weedkiller over a period of around 2 days afterwards, so I find that any rain during this time will reduce the effectiveness of the process. Additionally you also need good foliage on the weeds too - it's all about surface-area of the weed leaves and they look fantastic there now - good growth and prominence over the grass. That's ideal as the new-growth is soft and fresh …. except just right now the Irish weather isn't going to play nice in terms of the dry periods over the next week or so.

I'd plan to cut that grass on a medium setting (not too low) before Saturday and then let it grow for around a week and a half to let the weeds sprout new growth, then spray it with selective weed & feed before a dry period of at least 2 days - and then cut it after that point.

Those cuttings then need to be composted for more than 6 months to allow the weedkiller break-down (check the specifics on the bottle). Good luck.

Thanks a lot. I'll give the weedkiller another chance so, on a day with no rain for a couple of days. Any recommendations on weed killers? I've been using the already mixed spray bottle ( https://www.diy.ie/departments/weedol-weed-killer-1l/5010272189346_BQ.prd ) but maybe there's a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just bought a 300ml bottle of Weedol on Saturday - always worked fine for me in the past, should still do fine now. I use a pressure-sprayer to apply it and I do increase the dose by around 10/15% on what's on the bottle. I don't use a fine-mist though, it carries in the wind too much (all my secrets are out).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even just keeping the grass mowed (conditions allowing) should be an improvement on what you see there.

you mention the possibility of another option - don't worry so much about the weeds!

Haha, I just meant another brand/product that might be better. Not worrying about the weeds is an interesting idea too!

Can cuttings post spraying with weedkiller be composted in the brown bin, or should they be stored for 6 months before putting into the brown bin? I've heard that warning, but wasn't sure if it just applied to home composting or also brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Those look mostly like docks to me so if you're cutting regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about spraying them; regular mowing will keep the lawn in pretty good shape unless you're looking for it to be pristine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Sigma101

There might be someone already living there! You could fill it with sand and see if it gets dug out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jrby

hi everyone, anyone know if this is a weed? Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks to be a very healthy example of hairy bitter cress which I do regard as a weed in my own garden. Goes to seed very quickly and you might find some of those little pods full of seed burst if you leave it too long before pulling it out.

Happy gardening!

Pull them immediately or you'll soon have hundreds, they're just about to pop. And pop they do, have had more than one go straight in my eye over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jrby

thanks, slowly getting through them!

You also have willowherb and cinquefoil, but they're not an emergency right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

Fountain of knowledge on this forum which i enjoy reading, query for ye, I have a large steep bank that I try to keep weeded but its nearly out of control this year! Is hoeing willow herb sufficient or do I have to pull it and try to get as much as the roots too? Is hoeing hairy bitter cress OK? Thanks in advance

I used to work on a soil known as Bagshot Sand in the UK. The easiest soil type in the world for hoeing (and great for growing). So having hoed both willow herb and hairy bitter cress I can say no it won't get rid of them. OK it will if you are out every week with the hoe but a casual one off hoeing won't really help much. The willow herb roots are shallow but still need removing, they often reroot after hoeing especially in wet weather and the hairy bitter cress produces masses of seed which will continue to develop on more mature plants that have been hoed off.

Edit> That all said hoeing is going to be better than nothing but on a large steep bank it will have all your soil rolling down, a good excuse for weed killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Anyone identify this tree, came down at the weekend? Must be more than 100 ft.

Forestry tree, unless anyone knows any better I'd say Sitka Spruce. The cones would help prove identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some sort of a picea, spruce. I'm not very good on conifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Advertisement