Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

It'll kill everything it touches, but after 8 to 12 weeks it'll break down in the soil into fertiliser basically. So make sure whatever you're trying to kill is gone.

It won't permanently wreck the soil. If you use it as a compost accelerant you shouldn't really use the compost for about 3 months. It needs to break down over time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can use horsetail, just like nettles, to make a good fertiliser/ insecticide. I can't remember the proportions (I'll look for them later), but you need to let the horsetail macerate in water for a number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

And the other horsetail use is as pan scrubbers. A bundle of them tied together or just used loose makes a good pan scrubber because of the silica in the stems. Doesn't matter what variety they all have the silica.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

You can make tea out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Well it's gotten worse. The lawn was newly seeded two years ago.

I don't think that sunlight is the issue. The ground was limed and sowed with potato fertiliser last year.

There seems to be the start of moss growing in a few places. The section along the wall that is failing is above a drain - could that be having an effect?

What can I do to sort this out as it says a super lawn last year.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The ground looks very compacted, did you bring in soil? There is a bit of moss starting. Maybe punch holes with a fork or hire a gadget to do it.

Agree waterlogging and compaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

No brought in soil, all from onsite. Yes, see the mods starting too :(.

I'll hire out a machine to spike it.

Should I seed it first or spray it with weedol first? I think you need to wait at least 2 months after sowing to spray.

Wouldn't bother spraying it off. Spike as best you can, rake so you get a bit of a tilth and reseed. Maybe sift some compost over the top just to cover the seed. You could give some seaweed extract fertilizer a try, for lawns you need the finely ground type.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi All.

Not a plant or a weed - but a beautiful large tree I saw yesterday.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

The blossoms are too large to be a cherry I think.

Thanks in advance.

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

Magnolia soulangeana, and a very nice one.

Edit. Actually more likely to be M. campbellii given the size and time of flowering.

Post edited by standardg60 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have one in my garden (came with the house). It is spectacular for a week or so at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Hi all. Any idea what this shrub is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just to add a bit more detail I think this may be a named variety of Magnolia x soulangeana? This one has particularly dark pink petals that are wider than many varieties so after a bit of googling I think its possibly Magnolia x soulangeana "Lennei". If you scroll down there are some pictures here Compare also https://www.google.com/search?q=magnolia+soulangeana+lennei

You probably missed my edit but also look up M. campbellii which I think is a better fit.

The flowers in the pic look perfect for soulangeana but the upright habit was nagging me so I did a bit of googling too to see if there might be another option.

• Advertisement

Could be but I would say campbellii is somewhat rarer as most gardeners don't want to wait the 20 or more years it will often take to flower?

Yep definitely rarer, I've never seen one in the flesh myself so can't be definitive either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

That’s it alright I’d say - thanks.

it must be fairly bulletproof as I cut it to the ground a few years back when clearing a corner of brambles.

re: Viburnum tinus

Privet, Buddleia, hazel, Senecio (shrub), dogwood, hawthorn, ribes, honeysuckle, clematis (some of them) - all shrubs that can be chopped back to stumps and will regrow, and greatly improved for flower and shape by being cut right back. Probably loads more, these are just some I have experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

Does anyone know what these are and are they dead, lovely flowers on them last year, but no life in them now and feel very brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Sigma101

The middle one looks reminds me of hydrangea but it should be showing new green buds by now. The top one looks like the dead nasturtiums that I cleared out of our garden last weekend.

Agreed on the hydrangea. The others are most likely dead annuals, they came up once and unless they have seeded themselves (dropped seeds that are coming through, they are finished. They could possibly be herbaceous perennials, in which case you can cut off the dead tops and wait to see does anything come from around the roots. There should be some signs of shoots at this stage, though they could be very small. If you pull gently on one and it shows signs of coming up with just a small ball of root its probably an annual. If its a perennial it will resist being pulled up, but be careful with them.

In all cases the dead looking stuff is most likelt dead and can be cut off. If there is any green when you cut (maybe on the hydrangea) then it is still live, just cut off the top dead bits.

Last photo does look like a Dahlia? If the tuber wasn't frozen it may come back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chuckles1

Thanks all, from looking at pictures on the internet, I think you have guessed correctly, I'll leave the Hydrangea for now (or do I need to cut it back), get rid of the nasturtiums.

Should I leave the Dahlia for now or should I cut it back to ground level or green shoots (if any)?

Any one have ay thoughts on the rose bushes in Lidl as an alternative, its an east facing front garden with plenty of sun n the morning.

Bought the house last year and not green fingered, but trying to learn.

Might have some more pictures of back garden next week!

• Advertisement

You can cut the dead flower heads off the hydrangea. The dahlia can be cut to the ground, it will grow from below ground if still alive. Be advisable to put a few slug pellets at the base as they'll eat any growth

Advertisement