Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Forum Zero Tolerance Policy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

As a regular visitor here and one who gets a lot from the expertise and insight of the enthusiasts, this forum will be the worse for your going. I completely understand why someone shouldn't have to take the sh!t that's spouted at them by strangers and fully support your decision.

Good Luck,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thing is, those bastard posters that caused all this hassle were not even regular posters on this forum, I for one don't recall seeing them post on here very often, if at all. And now, because of them, we lose a fantastic poster and mod. :(

Echo all the comments above. and more. Su, don't let the facile comments of a few destroy what the majority very much appreciate. We are all behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cdev

Su Campu you are one of the regular posters here who I could always rely on for a reasoned, intelligent and well illustrated explanation of every aspect of the weather. I have learned a lot on this forum thanks to guys like you. I hope you'll be back posting here sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

I echo the sentiments of the above posts Su, if you are stepping away from the modding aspect of things, I hope you still post here weather wise, as I always found you a very informed and honest poster..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Su Campu, I'm not too shocked by your decision to drop the moderator role as I know it can be a trying place to be but taking time out from the weather forum is a hard pill to swallow. You have built up great respect and credibility for which I and many others have gained interest and knowledge from. If we can't persuade you to stay around then have a good break and hope you are back in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Hopefully I'm not wrong but Su hasn't said he is leaving the site completely? just stepping down from modding and taking a break and thats fair enough.I trust Su knows that he has a sizeable fanbase here on boards and every post he makes is top notch and very much appreciated by all.
    Same for all the weather experts and the non-experts here that post and make this section of boards.ie a unique treasure trove of meteorological information.
    By the nature of the forum and the ability to create new usernames at will if someone wants to troll its difficult to stop them...but in general I would say this section of boards has one of the highest % of genuine regular posters compared to trolls and we should all collectively intend to keep it that way by whatever means possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

One more voice in support of Su Campu taking up the Moderator's Whip again when good and ready.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I hope you reconsider Su ,

Always a very informative and excellent poster and huge part of the forum ,

As DE said , most folks whom have caused the trouble are not regulars in here and are ruining it for the rest of us and I for one will welcome the more strict moderating of the forum.

Nothing beats a head to head with you and DM2, the amount of knowledge you guys provide when backing up your cases for which way you guys think a weather event will turn out is absolutely enticing and provides a great element to the forum.

I for one hope you stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Will be terrtible to lose you Su, I hope you come back soon.

Don't let them get to you, thats what they want :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I can probably say there are 5 people that helped me get to my current understanding of the atmosphere , including being in Climate science for 2 years , Su , i still count you as one of them! ..... Thats simply all i have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing beats a head to head with you and DM2, the amount of knowledge you guys provide when backing up your cases for which way you guys think a weather event will turn out is absolutely enticing and provides a great element to the forum.

+1 to this.

Su, I too really hope you reconsider.

A suggestion might be more mods to help deal with the trolls? For such a busy section of Boards I think 3 mods is too few.

In the Construction & Planning forum (in which I often post as well) there are 5 mods and that forum does not get the massive spike in posters we get here during 'weather events'.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

It's very sad the way this forum is going. It used to be so chilled out. Some other boards are run like Nazi concentration camps but this one wasn't. It was a pleasure to go on and the regular posters were always so helpful with questions.

I usually come on here in Winter, as I'm a total snow bunny. While I'm still unsure as to who is a meteorologist or just an enthusiast, the regulars have always been helpful and informative. It's like going back to a family home when I come back here - deep easterly, weathercheck, darkman, nacho libre, MT Cranium, I don't have a clue who these people are but them and others -that I can't think of at the mo - are always posting with enthusiasm. Su Campu is another and it will be sad if they decide to leave for good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

DOCARCH wrote: »
    +1 to this.

Su, I too really hope you reconsider.

+1
    A suggestion might be more mods to help deal with the trolls? For such a busy section of Boards I think 3 mods is too few.

Ideally, from experience, you need 2 different sorts of Mods. You need Mods that understand and have good knowledge of the subjects covered in the forum, and they are essential to make sure that there are no misleading or incorrect posts from a factual aspect.

Equally important are Mods that are in many respects "lurkers", in that they are not neccessarily highly active as core posters into the forum, but they have an interest and awareness of the subject, and their role is to act as the first line of defence against the trolls and timewasters that will turn up on a regular basis. Any forum that can get spikes in activity like this one needs quite a few, so that there is cover pretty much round the clock. These are also hopefully the Mods that can defuse "flame wars" between contributors before they get out of hand, and they can happen at any time, and depending on the participants, they can be very heated, and possibly damaging and can take a lot of work by the Mods to keep under control. Some of the software used to drive bulletin boards can be quite difficult to manage in the background, and time consuming, as not only do the "offenders" have to be dealt with, what's been done has to be documented to some degree so that everyone else knows what's been happening, and why, and what's been done about it, so that there's consistency across the board, it's by no means a case of just deleting an inappropriate post and that's the end of the matter.

Been there, done that, shredded the T shirt (Not on boards.ie) and when they happen, it's not fun, especially if there's an agenda in the background, a serious flame war can and has destroyed a forum, and that is not good for anyone.

What also has to be remembered is that a large forum such as boards.ie has a commercial operator who has a large bill to pick up for the hardware, software and related operating costs, and that has to be covered somehow, either by advertising in related areas, or by subscription costs, and there is no advantage or benefit gained by that operator if any of the fora on their service gets a bad reputation, for whatever reason, so there will be times when the "commercial imperative" has to be considered in relation to forum activity, which can have all sorts of implications for the day to day operation of the forum. The users may or may not have considered that, to many users, their only involvement is as casual participants in an area of interest, and the fact that their enjoyment has costs involved may not actually occur to them, so the balance between what is acceptable and what is not is sometimes not always quite a simple as it may first appear.

In that respect, I admire the boards.ie operation, the model appears to work very well, and there is a very high level of freedom on most fora that I have seen, and there does not appear to be any "severe" moderation, even in potentially risky areas like after hours.

So, to those that may not have ever given it any thought, be thankful for the facility we have here, from experience, and observation over a long period of time, Boards.ie is a well run and very receptive operation that we need to be very thankful for, not all forum operators are as open and accomodating as this one certainly appears to be.

Secondly, be thankful that we have had moderators that understand the subject of the forum, as they are the ones that keep it on track, and give it the "flavour" that it has, and remember, moderating is not a paid post.

Last, and this is possibly the most important aspect of what I'm getting at in this post, when you're posting to this or any other forum, before you press the Enter or send key, read what you've typed, and think about it.

Does it contribute to the thread?
    Does it make any comment about another member that might be offensive?
    If you received an E-mail containing any of the comments or thoughts you've expressed, would you be offended by it?

If the answer to any of the above is Yes, then you might be better not to press the Enter key to send the message, while messages can be edited, or deleted, a moment's thought can be better than a lot of time and effort trying to retract a comment, or undo the damage that it's caused.

Remember too that Moderators are also human, and may be doing their moderating work, (and it is work, even though it's voluntary) at the end of a long working day, with stresses and pressures that we may know nothing about.

I've seen and watched what's happened in here in recent weeks with sadness, in that I could see the beginnings of pressure on moderators, and that's never a good scenario.

What should be happening is that the regular posters here need to be expressing a loud vote of thanks to both the forum operators and the moderators of the various forums for the very high quality service that we are able to participate in at no cost. This service is every bit as good and as encompassing as the service that was provided years ago by services like Compuserve (yeah maybe I'm giving my age away here :D) and that service was not free, far from it, and was moderated in a much stronger way, and with many more restrictions and rules that are in evidence here.

Where this goes from here, and the way it develops is down to all of us. It's down to the overall moderator to decide if the weather section is worth the time and aggravation that it's causing at the moment, which will in some respects be a cold hard commercial decision, and have very little to do with the actual content of the forum.

It's down to the board moderator, that person has to now make sure that there are enough moderators available that the workload does not become opressive on any of them.

It's down to the membership. If someone is trolling, or posting inappropriate content, or doing anything that causes you concern, first, consider reporting it. Second, if you don't report it, consider if it's even appropriate to respond to. As was said earlier in the thread, and it bears repeating DONT FEED THE TROLLS, all it does is encourage them to come back again, and the community doesn't need the problems that are caused by trolls

Sorry it was a long post, but it's important, this isn't just about the loss of a moderator, it's about the survival of the weather forum on boards, in that if it gets out of control, for whatever reason, and becomes more of an irritation above a certain level, then the overall boards.ie operator will make a decision that will not be popular with many people, but that decision will be a cold commercial decision that is based on the overall viability of boards.ie

As a clarification, just so that there's no misunderstanding, in that I may be sailing close to the wind with this post, I have no involvement with any aspect of boards.ie or the forums other than as a normal user of the service, my comments here are motivated by trying to prevent a possible direction that I have seen other forums go down, and in that case, I was heavily involved as a moderator for a number of years, and despite serious efforts by the moderating team, after one particular event, the forum operator pulled the plug on the section, and the work and time involved in setting up an alternative was very significant, time consuming and expensive.

What we have here is good, flexible, friendly (most of the time) and accomodating, and does not impose any major restrictions on us. It would be in all of our interests to keep it that way, and some of that is up to us collectively.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Sorry to hear you feel the need to step down Su. Shame that certain posters and their trolling has probably led you to take that action.

Damn shame :mad:

Glad to see this thread open and the removal of certain inflamatory posts. The last few weeks in the forum have been awful to be honest, with slings and arrows flying everywhere :) Hopefully this is a new fresh start.

Looking forward to the rest of the years weather, whatever it brings :)

A certain poster still seems to have not gotten the memo, Im sincerely hoping the mods root him out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Jake1 wrote: »
    A certain poster still seems to have not gotten the memo, Im sincerely hoping the mods root him out soon.

Agree 100%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Won't add much more to what i already said in this thread but i echo all the sentiments with regards Su stepping down as a Mod. A great shame it has come to this. Hopefully he will make a return in the future. Thanks Su for all your contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Best of luck, Su. You know your stuff inside out and we are fortunate to have you share share your insights here.

Hats off to all Mods. A thankless job but the forum would not exist without the work of WC, Trogdor and other admins who step in to moderate.

To paraphrase De Valera, "We defeat forum troublemakers by ignoring them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Im a lurker here...rarely post...what i do like and what ive seen ye do before around major events is a serious thread and a not so serious discussion thread...This enable us not so clued up on the fancy graphs etc to still get some bit of the trill out of a major event.

Thanks for all the effort mods..

From a lurkers point of view

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

So long, Su. The weather forum is something special, no doubt due to the moderation too, as much as the expert contributions and the friendly banter of it's members.

In the type of environment nurtured in the Weather Forum it can be difficult to see a troll as we all banter a bit, as mentioned in many of the previous postings, hence the replies to trolls in the first instance, the troll then makes it abundantly clear in his further replies ~ yes it gets annoying to become a victim and I'd suggest they be quietly removed ~ I never understood why trolls posts often stayed in the threads.

Anyway, best of luck, Su.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

Su Campu,

I've always read and studied what you have said in your posts. You stand head and shoulders above the crowd.

Enjoy your rest and pop back as soon as you can.

Respect.

KS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Thanks Su Campus - in my recent little problem you were a complete gentleman - I can speak only for myself but I'm sorry you feel the need to stop modding.

I hope you'll keep contributing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am with MT on this one. Any decision is up to SU but there is no way that I would allow a few idiots to ruin my enjoyment or moderation of the forum especially when it is a seasonal phenomenon. What makes it worse is that it is too easy for the offensive people to see you stepping down as a victory.

You know that you have the support of 99.9% of the forum - not something many Mods could claim. This thread is a resounding vote of confidence in your Moderation. Why not take a very short sabbatical & then return refreshed & ready to resume as a Mod.

In the meantime the other Mods can simply ban the idiots & send out a message that we are a very friendly helpful lot & we expect all newcomers to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Any chance of DM2 filling the vacancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    Any chance of DM2 filling the vacancy?
    In the end its the admin's call. While I'm not at all privy to the selection of new mod(s) here, I'd be confident that by this stage that there is a short list and the process of checking etc those on the short list is well underway, though could be a few days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I don't comment much on the Weather forum, but I follow it like mad! (I think I'm addicted).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I share the sentiments of everyone else here and I have learned so much from you, Su Campu, and from others that spend so much time keeping us updated and answering questions. It is much appreciated.

I really hope that you keep posting and sharing your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

SU Campu you will be sorely missed around here,i always thought you were a fair MOD but can understand wanting to take a back seat,please keep posting because your knowledge on this forum is just superb

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16 waytoowarm

im new to posting but ive been following the threads for a while , ive learned so much from your posts su thank you... its a shame that it has come to this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've been hanging around this forum for quite a while now, as a passer by, lurker and eventually a occasional contributer, and I have to say that I've always found it to be an extremely friendly place and I'd hope we wouldn't lose that here, the various mods over the years have always done superb work to keep it that way and for that I thank them.

That's not to say though that at times there haven't been problems to handle, the easy ones I suppose are the out and out trolls, they have no real contribution to make here and none of us will miss them here once their heads have rolled:D, maybe though it's not as clearcut when someone who has a genuine interest in the weather comes along but who may not, maybe for reasons of youthful exuberance and enthusiasm or an inability to properly express themselves in a forum setting like this, take kindly to being questioned or advised by the mods. People like this, if we can encourage them to calm down a little (and I don't have anyone in mind here) could in time make valuable contributions to this forum, IIRC one of our current mods was hardly the apple of the mods eye here in his younger days.;)

Again I'd like to echo what so many others have said in this thread, all the mods have been doing a great job here and it's up to the regulars to support them in their work, I do hope SU Campu's break will be a short one because his contributions to the discussions will be missed if he is gone for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

nilhg wrote: »
    IIRC one of our current mods was hardly the apple of the mods eye here in his younger days.;)
    oh the memories :D
    well in the past though

A lot of good points here and it proves the good community spirit and proves the high regard held for SU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement