Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Éireann to close 5 Expressway Routes

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh does a non stop service, X4 from BE is non stop too. Dublin Coach is just a brief stop at Kilkenny.

Don't all the X4's stop in Carlow at a minimum- the service would be a lot less frequent if it didn't. THat's where the bulk of the passengers would be from as only one other competitor JJ Kavannagh from there.
    Majority of those stop in Carlow too and Paulstown services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh does a non stop service, X4 from BE is non stop too. Dublin Coach is just a brief stop at Kilkenny.

I'm talking a full non stop service timetable not a small portion of express services as part of their main service.

In fact imo the 4/x4 timetable is good example as to how operators should of been allowed to preform on the other routes in the interests of fair play albeit allowing a slight increase in the ratio of non stop services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IE 222 wrote: »
    I disagree, there not viable due to the fact that a large number of their passengers have been offered a faster non stop service that competes directly with a existing stopper service. It's not as if these towns have suffered mass emigration since the motorways have arrived. It's also telling that services such as Waterford, Sligo & Donegal ect where non stop services don't compete are the ones that remain.

Err.. so you are ignoring all the following stopping services that run parallel to motorway services:
    - Citylink Route 763 Dublin to Galway Stopping service, right alongside their direct non stop service.
    - Citylink Route 251 Galway - Limerick - Cork, much the same as the x51
    - JJ Kavangh Route 717 - Clonmel - Kilkenny - Naas - Dublin
    - JJ Kavangh Route 736 - Waterford - Carlow - Kilkenny - Dublin
    - JJ Kavangh Route 735 - Limerick - Nenagh - Roscrea - Portlaoise - Dublin
    - Dublin Coach Route 300 - Ennis/Killarney/Tralee - Limerick - Kildare - Dublin
    - Dublin Coach Route 726 - Portlaoise - Kildare - Naas - Dublin
    - Matthews Coaches Route 900, 901, 902, 903, 904 - Dundalk - Drogheda - Dublin/UCD
    - Bus Eireann Route 100x - Dundalk - Drogheda - Dublin (seemingly not under threat).

Note not all stops listed above, just the major ones.

As you can clearly and easily see, most of the motorways have multiple successful commercial stopping services operating on or beside them.

The only one that is missing is the x8 on the M8. Obviously that needs to be dealt with, but again I'd be surprised if one of the operators don't jump at it.

Again, I need to repeat, are you honestly suggesting that the people of Cork should have been continued to be forced on a rubbish x8 service that took 4.5 hours, ran only every two hours and stopped at 6pm!!

Rather then a vastly superior, every 30 minutes, almost 24/7 services that took just three hours!

Why? Just to save a single BE route! That would be insane and completely unjust.

Even if the government have to put on a PSO service on the M8 (unlikely I think), the cost of that will be pretty trivial compared to the fantastic service that the people of Cork now have and love.

bk wrote: »
    Err.. so you are ignoring all the following stopping services that run parallel to motorway services:
    - Citylink Route 763 Dublin to Galway Stopping service, right alongside their direct non stop service.
    - Citylink Route 251 Galway - Limerick - Cork, much the same as the x51
    - JJ Kavangh Route 717 - Clonmel - Kilkenny - Naas - Dublin
    - JJ Kavangh Route 736 - Waterford - Carlow - Kilkenny - Dublin
    - JJ Kavangh Route 735 - Limerick - Nenagh - Roscrea - Portlaoise - Dublin
    - Dublin Coach Route 300 - Ennis/Killarney/Tralee - Limerick - Kildare - Dublin
    - Dublin Coach Route 726 - Portlaoise - Kildare - Naas - Dublin
    - Matthews Coaches Route 900, 901, 902, 903, 904 - Dundalk - Drogheda - Dublin/UCD
    - Bus Eireann Route 100x - Dundalk - Drogheda - Dublin (seemingly not under threat).

Note not all stops listed above, just the major ones.

As you can clearly and easily see, most of the motorways have multiple successful commercial stopping services operating on or beside them.

The only one that is missing is the x8 on the M8. Obviously that needs to be dealt with, but again I'd be surprised if one of the operators don't jump at it.

Again, I need to repeat, are you honestly suggesting that the people of Cork should have been continued to be forced on a rubbish x8 service that took 4.5 hours, ran only every two hours and stopped at 6pm!!

Rather then a vastly superior, every 30 minutes, almost 24/7 services that took just three hours!

Why? Just to save a single BE route! That would be insane and completely unjust.

Even if the government have to put on a PSO service on the M8 (unlikely I think), the cost of that will be pretty trivial compared to the fantastic service that the people of Cork now have and love.

Not ignoring any of the stopper services others provide. All but the citylink service you list are irrelevant to the point i was making as they all provide a fairly similar routing timetable overall. Taking the citylink example as you've highlighted, the bulk of their services are non stop when you include the 760 and 761 also.

Again you fail to recognize the major drop in capacity, frequency and competition which you seem to treasure as a massive value to the customer. Staying with Galway services BE departure will remove 32 services a day and somewhere in the region of over 1500 seats. Private operators will ensure buses are the filled to capacity before they'll even begin to look at adding more services.

Again I'll repeat the fact that I've no issue with private companies competing with BE but we can't allow cherry picking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Of course it is a drop in capacity and that is always a pity. As is the reduction in the competition, that is never good.

Though if the demand is there, I'm sure the other services will increase capacity, to pick up those customers, though that will not help with competition.

These are commercial services and that is the reality of competition. You compete or lose.

BTW Where are you getting 32 services to Galway from? The x20 has only 11 services (22 return). Seemingly the 20 won't be impacted. Also given how competitive Citylink and GoBus are, I can't see them not picking up at least a good amount of these once things return to normal.

Of course it is a drop in capacity and that is always a pity. As is the reduction in the competition, that is never good.

Though if the demand is there, I'm sure the other services will increase capacity, to pick up those customers, though that will not help with competition.

These are commercial services and that is the reality of competition. You compete or lose.

BTW Where are you getting 32 services to Galway from? The x20 has only 11 services (22 return). Seemingly the 20 won't be impacted. Also given how competitive Citylink and GoBus are, I can't see them not picking up at least a good amount of these once things return to normal.

I don't think they will. Given the current situation I think they'll be looking at scaling down also or the NTA will just offer more PSO routes at a cost the tax payer. Even if they did take on peek services it means parking a bus in Dublin for the return trip or running another 2 off peek services to get the return peek flow.

I think IE will be the biggest beneficiaries from this anyways. If IE & BE or DB offered a direct non stop service to the airport avoiding the city centre from Hueston they would win over a reasonable number of these passengers. A extra couple of services on the WRC would probably lap up BE's numbers.

I completely understand the commercial end of things but somethings are worth protecting. I reckon over 90% of BE passengers couldn't tell you if they were on a commercial or PSO service. In the public and political eye BE is viewed wholly as a national service provider.

Well if the 20 remains it will be 22.

I don't think they will. Given the current situation I think they'll be looking at scaling down also or the NTA will just offer more PSO routes at a cost the tax payer. Even if they did take on peek services it means parking a bus in Dublin for the return trip or running another 2 off peek services to get the return peek flow.

Well obviously we aren't talking about the current Covid situation, these BE services are continuing until the Covid supports end anyway.

We are talking about when Covid is all over and things return to some normality. There is absolutely no reason to think that things won't return to pre-covid or similar levels then. I'd see no reason at all why any of them would scale back!

With BE out of the way on their routes, the other operators will have a golden opportunity to expand and grow.

Over the past 15 years we have seen the other companies invest 10's of millions in expanding services. Add new routes, increase schedules, put two or even three coaches on at busy times, move up to overdeckers and double decker coaches.

If the demand is there, I'd see no reason at all why to wouldn't aggressively chase it.

Your comment on sitting up coaches off-peak is weird. That is hardly new for any of these companies, they are well use to these sort of transport patterns. Running a coach off-peak light, so you can get a full coach peak is just a cost of business for all transport companies. It is the same for DB and Irish Rail as I'm sure you know. If anything these companies tend towards 24/7 running or close to it, even when sometimes quiet.

BTW you know that legally the NTA can't operate PSO routes in competition with existing commercial routes? So that won't be happening.

The only route that I'd see possible PSO is the x8 and then only if non of the others pick up the commercial x8 license.

BTW seemingly BE are ending the X1 in November, the others not until next year.

I'm assuming the "X1" will continue to be operated by Translink, though perhaps renamed.

The wording around the X1 is weird, they say:
    Bus Éireann has said that its Expressway service from Dublin to Belfast will be suspended indefinitely from November.

I'm wondering what "suspended indefinitely" differs from how they are wording the other services where they say they are "ceasing" them. I assume it has something to do with the Translink relationship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Bus Eireann did the same with it's Dublin-Derry service a couple of years ago. They pulled out of their part of the operation but it's still operated by Translink/Ulsterbus to this day as the X3 and X4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GT89 wrote: »
    Bus Eireann did the same with it's Dublin-Derry service a couple of years ago. They pulled out of their part of the operation but it's still operated by Translink/Ulsterbus to this day as the X3 and X4

Since the X1 has Ulsterbus connections at Newry to places like Armagh or Newcastle, it is likely in their interest to continue running it.

• Advertisement

Well obviously we aren't talking about the current Covid situation, these BE services are continuing until the Covid supports end anyway.

We are talking about when Covid is all over and things return to some normality. There is absolutely no reason to think that things won't return to pre-covid or similar levels then. I'd see no reason at all why any of them would scale back!

With BE out of the way on their routes, the other operators will have a golden opportunity to expand and grow.

Over the past 15 years we have seen the other companies invest 10's of millions in expanding services. Add new routes, increase schedules, put two or even three coaches on at busy times, move up to overdeckers and double decker coaches.

If the demand is there, I'd see no reason at all why to wouldn't aggressively chase it.

Your comment on sitting up coaches off-peak is weird. That is hardly new for any of these companies, they are well use to these sort of transport patterns. Running a coach off-peak light, so you can get a full coach peak is just a cost of business for all transport companies. It is the same for DB and Irish Rail as I'm sure you know. If anything these companies tend towards 24/7 running or close to it, even when sometimes quiet.

BTW you know that legally the NTA can't operate PSO routes in competition with existing commercial routes? So that won't be happening.

The only route that I'd see possible PSO is the x8 and then only if non of the others pick up the commercial x8 license.

The airline industry will take a considerable amount of time to recover. That's a good chunk of their customer base. Even pre covid or with light restrictions I'd expect a restriction on public transport to remain for some time until it completely curbed.

The operators are still spending money. They may not have the resources or reserves to bring back a full service. They'd be in a similar situation as the airlines albeit to a lesser scale.

Maybe or perhaps they'll stick with their current services and increase fares. Why invest in something when you don't really need to, supply and demand and all that.

Not sure how you find it a wired comment. It's a very fair claim to make. It might be affordable to park a couple of buses up for a few hours but when your left parking a chunk of your fleet up along with drivers it becomes costly.

IEs advantage is the ability of splitting trains or altering diagrams, there is very few IE intercity services that would ran just as a matter of repositioning sets. DB operates within close proximity of its garages.

Do you honestly think if towns such a Ballinasloe, Nenagh ect are left with a 50% reduction in services the NTA or politicians are going to go along with it and stand by these legislations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My observations; I got the waterford to Dublin Sunday 10 am expressway recently and the driver ( who started in new Ross) could not have been nicer and more courteous than he was, it was nearly non stop all the way though he helpfully let passengers who requested the stop out at Heuston and again near O’Connell Street

I think the 100x turns in the 100 at Drogheda after 17.30

Matthews initially went to the airport but stopped some 10 years ago, thus shaving 20 mins off the routes. Only BE service the airport.
    Matthews were the first to spot there was a market for a Laytown- Dublin service.

When my daughter went back to college I phoned BE and enquired why they weren't using the ( newish) motorway, I was told it was because of PSO And they had to service Dunleer, Gormanstown, Balbriggan etc . It added hours to the journey. When Matthews arrived BE suddenly started using the M1. So i have good and bad experiences. But I wouldn’t like it if there was no competition.

Ps Matthews drivers have a zero tolerance for food on board never mind drinks. Especially crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Reducing X service presumably allows BE to retire motorway coaches without replacement.

Does NTA pick up the tab for expanded city fleets?
    Do private operators have capital spend available right now to add to their fleets and otherwise expand their operations so that they can operate the routes in question?

Reading the tea leaves it does sound like BE will be exiting the Expressway market and concentrating on running the subsidised routes. State companies don’t belong in the competing with private space as their cost base and work practices etc are simply on another planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

road_high wrote: »
    Reading the tea leaves it does sound like BE will be exiting the Expressway market and concentrating on running the subsidised routes. State companies don’t belong in the competing with private space as their cost base and work practices etc are simply on another planet

having a rush to the bottom is not necessarily in the public interest either. Do these private operators have a pension scheme, for instance?

There should be a NTA pension scheme (and perhaps sick pay scheme) into which all employees should be enrolled.

having a rush to the bottom is not necessarily in the public interest either. Do these private operators have a pension scheme, for instance?

There should be a NTA pension scheme (and perhaps sick pay scheme) into which all employees should be enrolled.

I’m not really arguing the rights or wrongs but that’s how the free market works. Profit driven. Such is life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their cost base and working practices are mostly fine, a couple of the privates are paying nearly the same basic wage anyway.
    i also think BE may exit the expressway market long term but i hope not, they should have actually increased their routes and services when they had the chance, and if the chance does come again they should take it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

their cost base and working practices are mostly fine, a couple of the privates are paying nearly the same basic wage anyway.
    i also think BE may exit the expressway market long term but i hope not, they should have actually increased their routes and services when they had the chance, and if the chance does come again they should take it.

They seem to have a fleet of new buses purchased. Why do this if exiting? Do you think the politicians will allow them exit when their voters protest?

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    They seem to have a fleet of new buses purchased. Why do this if exiting? Do you think the politicians will allow them exit when their voters protest?

i said may exit long term, not they will absolutely exit, and certainly not straight away, meaning i have a belief that they may do so in the long term but am very much open to the possibility that i am absolutely wrong, and hope i absolutely am so.
    politicians can't stop them from making commercial decisions, expressway is a commercial entity, and if bus eireann decide that certain routes aren't viable, or at absolute worst expressway itself isn't viable in afuture hypothetical situation, then all the politicians can do is insure PSO services are in place for any effected areas where they will be left without services.
    the new buses will presumably be for what routes they are keeping and that will release buses either for other work and ones that are being retired.
    to be clear, i do not want them to exit expressway, in fact i want them to take any opportunities they get to grow it, but it is their decision and the politicians can do absolutely nothing apart from as i said, insure effected areas that have no other services aren't left without services.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How many use the services ? And more and more places have private direct services to nearby cities , ( well in cork anyway , so there's a cobh express,I think a youghal express , and a west cork express , and I'd expect more if they work out ... )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Well they’re cutting a load of routes, have done already. Not a peep out of politicians. At best they’ll read some generic NTA press release telling you to use an alternative service. And that will be that

Well they’re cutting a load of routes, have done already. Not a peep out of politicians. At best they’ll read some generic NTA press release telling you to use an alternative service. And that will be that

Some where raising it in the dail yesterday. Think it was Matty McGrath. Eamonn Ryan wasn't exactly saying or ruling he can't do anything due to commercial interests.

Some where raising it in the dail yesterday. Think it was Matty McGrath. Eamonn Ryan wasn't exactly saying or ruling he can't do anything due to commercial interests.

Matty was the same when the Clonmel X route was jettisoned. Now that’s history. I’ve never seen these decisions reversed despite local objections- a limited NTA service may be put in as compensation for bypassed towns or be told to use an alternative private service

Matty was the same when the Clonmel X route was jettisoned. Now that’s history. I’ve never seen these decisions reversed despite local objections- a limited NTA service may be put in as compensation for bypassed towns or be told to use an alternative private service

Big difference between Clonmel and what's been axed now.

Big difference between Clonmel and what's been axed now.

Not really it was a pretty busy frequent route. Had been relaunched as a part motorway service. Still could not make money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Expressway express routes being scrapped by Bus Eireann would have been a huge profit maker if they had a terminus or a major bus stop provided at Dublin Airport if Covid wasn't with us. The level of demand at that point would have left them with a continuous business model that was very sustainable. The 2 terminals since then have lost a huge majority of air passengers coming into the country up to now since Covid came here in March.

A huge amount of customers who were using these services at Dublin Airport and other stops at busy locations on these routes before Covid now can't do it any longer because of the pandemic and that is a huge shame to hear that is happening right now. Some of the routes which are now getting scrapped because of Covid were showing good signs of life that would made it continue running services well into the long term. The fleet has undergone a huge transformation in improving the quality of it's coaches even though it's not as good when compared to running other airport coach routes by companies based in the private sector.

The Expressway routes that begin their journeys at Busaras may see some increased demand later on after Covid subsides. But if there is a further delay because of Covid in having a predicted increased demand of passengers heading over to use other bus services from private operators when it subsides; where does that leave the other express/non-express Expressway routes in future? Will it become high & dry or does it have a future?

Bus Eireann may find themselves in an increasingly difficult financial position after Covid if they are finding it difficult to fund & to provide new incentives for improving Expressway services to make passengers return to using their bus services. Adding new things to improve the experience for passengers while trying to entice them going off other private operators may cost them a lot of money in the end. If it's not worth it. They may keep plodding along as normal to keep running until they hit another stumbling block which may put the hard brakes on their services in the future. The resumption of international travel returning soon for international airlines is also a big uncertainty as we are still going through this pandemic. Bus Eireann having to lose huge amounts of income through paying for fuel costs, staff & mechanical parts required for fixing maintaining buses while little or no customers are using their services would also become a very unsustainable business model for the future longer term strategy of the business.

We should be able to know that there are 2 strands of funding coming in to fund all of Bus Eireann's expenditure of running bus routes all around the country. One is infinitely supported by the government through a public subsidy & the other, Expressway, being an entirely commercial service, doesn't have the luxury of that funding being given to them because under EU Law it doesn't officially qualify for government support. If Expressway doesn't last into 2021 or beyond that; the government would have step in & provide more PSO funding to provide replacement bus services in any part of the country due if BÉ decide to shut down Expressway in Ireland for good. It will become a very serious problem for us if it happens very soon. It would mean that, in a post Covid Irish economy, the government will have to provide more funding to support all transport operators running PSO services around the Republic of Ireland including private bus operators that win/have won contracts in the past to run officially tendered bus services by the NTA if they are still legally obligated to run them at the moment.

On the other hand; if you were to look at BÉ PSO routes being run at the moment & into the future; they are running infrastructure that give you a very basic service in how it operates services to the public. But that infrastructure has slowly improved itself all the time. PSO bus routes run by BÉ would see this as an upgrade because they have a young fleet that has a much newer spec which it still has a lot of life left in it to run PSO bus services for the majority of people who live here. They are in a pretty good position to not be as bad when compared to bus services from the private sector that runs a high standard fleet while BÉ treat them as their competition. The standards of BÉ's PSO fleet will be much better if their Expressway coaches switch over to run PSO routes for the rest of their lives to continue running the services.

But the big challenge to overcome that problem is how we will use the service in the long term while BÉ battle to remain open against other competition. It becomes a question of how BÉ do not want to overheat their balance sheet while still continuing to run a business model that solely relies on passengers going onto a long distance bus service that operates around the country while doing that job without government support.

What type of scenario could we see after Covid if BÉ has to run services while running with reduced income to support it's business model?

Yes. It's called Employer PRSI and is not an inconsiderable amount per employee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

salonfire wrote: »
    Yes. It's called Employer PRSI and is not an inconsiderable amount per employee.

All companies must offer access to a private pension scheme, either a PRSA or a bespoke scheme approved by the pension regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bumblebee2020

I would have thought Express Way would have been sold off before this point, when hearing National Express was coming into the Irish market I thought they would of made an offer to BE for Express Way.
    Express Way would be a good earner for a private company that isn’t paying mad wages. Interesting to see what’s going on behind closed doors if anything is happening. I’d say there’s a few of the private companies looking at the route licences to get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have thought Express Way would have been sold off before this point, when hearing National Express was coming into the Irish market I thought they would of made an offer to BE for Express Way.
    Express Way would be a good earner for a private company that isn’t paying mad wages. Interesting to see what’s going on behind closed doors if anything is happening. I’d say there’s a few of the private companies looking at the route licences to get them

Anyone buying Expressway would be inheriting the terms of the existing staff, including likely a share of mechanics and admin. They'll be able to save some on backoffice but not drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If Expressway has anything like a typical public-sector pension scheme attached to it, no sane private sector company would touch it with a barge-pole.

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone buying Expressway would be inheriting the terms of the existing staff, including likely a share of mechanics and admin. They'll be able to save some on backoffice but not drivers

Possibly but BE could redeploy the marked in (or whatever the BE equivalent is) on the expressway routes to their PSO services just like what Dublin Bus did when routes transferred to Go-Ahead.

My understanding is and why it’s so expensive the drivers would all be on BE payroll and as Expressway would be a commercial company it would be Sub contracting the drivers and teams off BE all you would be buying would be the brand name and routes, it works the same way for DB and it’s commercial Airlink, Tours everything is Sub contracted back out hence why they don’t make money.

Airlink is gone now until Mid 2021 at the early it’s The drivers all went back to the normal routes as they are DB staff not Airlink staff.

PommieBast wrote: »
    If Expressway has anything like a typical public-sector pension scheme attached to it, no sane private sector company would touch it with a barge-pole.

All a company like National Express or interested buyers would be doing is looking at brand and route licence.

All staff would be on BE payroll not Expressway, plenty of transport companies have been sold just brand and route licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭PommieBast

All a company like National Express or interested buyers would be doing is looking at brand and route licence.

All staff would be on BE payroll not Expressway, plenty of transport companies have been sold just brand and route licence.
    Is such a thing on the table though? Devil in the detail here...

That’s why I’m surprised that other companies have not come in to offer this Regardless if it’s not on the table, It’s no secret that BE where always going to get rid or sell the company, everything is for sale at the correct price especially in the transport game.

Expressway has leaked money for years and I’m sure if BE got an offer they would jump at it To off load.

That’s why I’m surprised that other companies have not come in to offer this Regardless if it’s not on the table, It’s no secret that BE where always going to get rid or sell the company, everything is for sale at the correct price especially in the transport game.

Expressway has leaked money for years and I’m sure if BE got an offer they would jump at it To off load.

I'd guess there are a couple of issues at play.

BE don't seem to want to get rid of the whole of Expressway, they are holding onto most of the Expressway routes, it is just 5 routes they want to get rid of. If BE wanted to sell off the entire Expressway operation then there would likely be of more interest, but just these 5 routes are probably the least money making and thus less interest.

And keep in mind, anyone can set up their own Belfast route, no need for a restrictive route license, and Ulsterbus will likely continue operating it, so really it is just 4 routes on the table.

Also I don't think there is that much value in the Expressway brand, GoBus made that mistake with GoBE and as a result I think many have learned a lesson and would be slow to take on a BE brand or have any involvement with BE in terms of using bus stations, etc.

There was an article with the CEO of Aircoach in one of the newspapers a few weeks ago and she said they compete with Expressway on two routes and would thus have a good idea of their numbers of passengers on those routes and she said they weren't surprised that these routes were being shut. This gave me the impression that these routes were relatively poor performing.

The Aircoach CEO did say that they expected other operators to fail too and that they were looking at this as an opportunity to do deals and to expand their operations here. So it is possible, they or another company could do a deal with BE.

Another issue is a lot of the companies are simply struggling to survive at the moment and might not have the money to do a deal with or invest in Expressway. Though I'd guess that the big international backed operators, Aircoach/NX/Citylink might have the finance to expand and are just waiting for the right time and deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GT89 wrote: »
    Possibly but BE could redeploy the marked in (or whatever the BE equivalent is) on the expressway routes to their PSO services just like what Dublin Bus did when routes transferred to Go-Ahead.

It would require a massive extension of PSO services (at the states cost) to need the entire set of drivers, which outside of anything required for the various regional city BusConnects, isn't going to happen.

It wouldn't just be the marked-in drivers (if they have that anachronism, but I expect they do); there would be an excess of 'spares' too

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

Notice from bus Eireann

• Advertisement

Fair play to Translink jumping in renting the X1 licence off BE still, there maybe more companies renting the other licences after Christmas, I can’t see them licences sitting there because if Express way was run like a private company it would of made money. Them routes are money makers (before covid times).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Fair play to Translink jumping in renting the X1 licence off BE still, there maybe more companies renting the other licences after Christmas, I can’t see them licences sitting there because if Express way was run like a private company it would of made money. Them routes are money makers (before covid times).

There's no such thing as a license for a cross border route since they are run under EU laws so inter state services apply rather than the domestic laws of Northern Ireland / Ireland.

The X1 was always a service jointly operated between Bus Eireann and Translink, the only difference is now that Translink will be providing all the departures on the route and that you will need to buy tickets from them.

Yes as devnull said above, no route licenses needed for cross border routes, so Translink could operate this completely independently if they wanted and no need to pay BE anything.

Having said that, they don't mention any change in using Busaras in Dublin, so I'd assume Translink will be making some payment to BE for it's use.

Though the relationship seems to be much less then the old GoBE setup, with BE not even selling tickets for the service, so looks to be a relatively minimum relationship.

I hope Bus Eireann management and staff are asking themselves why another company seems to be capable of running a bus route they are not able to run.

I hope Bus Eireann management and staff are asking themselves why another company seems to be capable of running a bus route they are not able to run.

why would they.

route cuts are a management decision, the staff just get on with their jobs
    and will be redeployed to other routes.

I could be mistaken, but from what I've read, I believe the majority of departures on this route were operated by Translink coaches and drivers for the past few years. It seemed to have been more of a Translink operation then a BE one.

Add to that lot of competition on the route from Aircoach, Dublin Coach and others and it probably makes more sense for them to focus on the ever growing PSO operations.

Nothing seems to have changed in regard to BE for years and that includes the staff!

It needs new blood and new ideas to take this company forward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dublin-Cork
    * X8 will no longer serve Dublin Airport and operate x4 daily services from 30 Jan.

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4520&month=Jan

Dublin-Galway
    * X20 (x2 daily ex DUB, x3 ex GWY) and 20 (x4 daily) service from 30 Jan.

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4520&month=Jan

Dublin-Limerick
    * X12 - Last service 29 Jan.

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4517&month=Jan

Maybe slightly off topic but I saw a picture of a VB on the x8 today. I didn't think they were allowed put NTA owned vehicles on commercial routes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement