Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 OskerWilde!

So has anyone done their stage 1 aptitudes??

Found them a bit difficult, think the timing at 17mins was cutting fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

Think that's a piss take there fyi!!!

Ya I grasped that thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jackthelad85

@oskerwilde Hi, I just got back from Budapest this morning, and I'm going to do my test later. I have no hope of passing it lol I am illiterate when it comes to maths of any kind. Could you give me any hint whatsoever of what kind of questions were asked?

I can't actually even describe them. It's all percentages and percentage comparisons . In the end I just flew through it as 17mins is just not enough time. Have a calculater !! After that, best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

I can't actually even describe them. It's all percentages and percentage comparisons . In the end I just flew through it as 17mins is just not enough time. Have a calculater !! After that, best of luck!!

Are we allowed to use a calculator :o ??

• Advertisement

Yep, but timing is crucial!! Firstly you'll need a dictionary or thesaurus to Unjumble the English jargon that they've written..(hahaha)!

Yep, but timing is crucial!! Firstly you'll need a dictionary or thesaurus to Unjumble the English jargon that they've written..(hahaha)!

How'd ya know your allowed use one? well i tried the "practice" ones and its safe to say i'd be getting 0 without a calculator haha! even the wording on some of the verbal reasoning one was tuff stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

yep, Ive been practicing the tests on the websites that let you keep doing the timed ones. Think I answered 3 maths ones. Then ran outta time!! Im bricking it for the real ones. was feeling really thick, when i read on here that everyone seems to be struggling with them.
    Im alright at maths problems generally, but understanding the questions are hard on their own without even trying to answer them. I didnt even know what they were asking of me. But I hope that the other tests will carry me through... Fingers crossed...

I finished the aptitude about an hour ago but just got a reminder email telling me to do it by tomorrow. Has everyone got this? I'm worried my results didn't save

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

Just done there.......jesus those maths questions were tough enough anyway. A lot harder than the stage one for the Gardai, I found.

• Advertisement

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    I finished the aptitude about an hour ago but just got a reminder email telling me to do it by tomorrow. Has everyone got this? I'm worried my results didn't save

I'd log back in if I were you and check.
    I didn't receive a reminder email, but maybe as you only done it-the email was just automatically generated at a certain time today.

Up half the night trying to log in to do the tests. It says my username or password is wrong. I'm ****ed now. :(😞😞😞😭

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlackcatDub

Just done there.......jesus those maths questions were tough enough anyway. A lot harder than the stage one for the Gardai, I found.

Absolutely, I passed the Prison Support Officer and Clerical Officer numerical tests with good scores, however this was by far the toughest numerical to date, the rest was fine but reckon this numerical will whittle numbers down fairly swiftly.

User16 wrote: »
    Up half the night trying to log in to do the tests. It says my username or password is wrong. I'm ****ed now. :(😞😞😞😭

Did you email them? Hopefully they'll email back by 9am and you'll get it done.

I'd log back in if I were you and check.
    I didn't receive a reminder email, but maybe as you only done it-the email was just automatically generated at a certain time today.

When I log back in it says everything is completed. I didn't get an email saying that anything was submitted though but I just assumed I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 murphy2

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    Did you email them? Hopefully they'll email back by 9am and you'll get it done.

It's not your public jobs I.D and password, there is one underneath the link to the test in your message board unique to you, maybe that's not the problem though?

murphy2 wrote: »
    It's not your public jobs I.D and password, there is one underneath the link to the test in your message board unique to you, maybe that's not the problem though?

And dopey here didn't see it!! Lol
    When I did I logged in and completed it. Maths was much more do-able than the practice questions. Much to my relief.. fingers crossed now.. good luck to all and thanks for the responses..

@oskerwilde Hi, I just got back from Budapest this morning, and I'm going to do my test later. I have no hope of passing it lol I am illiterate when it comes to maths of any kind. Could you give me any hint whatsoever of what kind of questions were asked?

Things like a graph of company profits. Then ur asked if they earned 50,000 in 2009 and their profits rose by 15% per year, how much did they make in 2012.. etc

I thought the numerical was unbelievably hard :( Just hope to get a pass and get a chance to do the supervised one at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

I think it mentioned somewhere in the instructions that you wouldn't get any notification that everything was submitted.

• Advertisement

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    I think it mentioned somewhere in the instructions that you wouldn't get any notification that everything was submitted.

You're right. I remember reading something like that now. Does anyone know how many will go forward to the next stage?

It didn't say. Just said first results out in early September. Hate waiting..

It didn't say. Just said first results out in early September. Hate waiting..

I know. Fingers crossed for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

So its early september we can expect to hear. Thankfully I found the maths questions relatively handy. I have been working in finance for 4 years and always had a good head for maths so that was good. The other 2 aspects I wouldnt be too confident on but sure we'll see.

I've wanted to do this job for years. Set up my public jobs account for this notification 4 years ago so I'm hoping all goes well. Little worried about a physical as I had a knee operation last year so I'm afraid that will kill my chances. Anyone know just how demanding that physical is. I read the guards physical list and doubt i'd have got by that so I'm hoping this one is not as demanding

Iang87 wrote: »
    So its early september we can expect to hear. Thankfully I found the maths questions relatively handy. I have been working in finance for 4 years and always had a good head for maths so that was good. The other 2 aspects I wouldnt be too confident on but sure we'll see.

I've wanted to do this job for years. Set up my public jobs account for this notification 4 years ago so I'm hoping all goes well. Little worried about a physical as I had a knee operation last year so I'm afraid that will kill my chances. Anyone know just how demanding that physical is. I read the guards physical list and doubt i'd have got by that so I'm hoping this one is not as demanding

Well I had major back surgery not so long ago so I'm hoping for the best.
    I know when I joined the guards the physical wasn't like it is now. I just hope I get that far with PO! Those maths were yuk and I found the others ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yaknowyourself

Iang87 wrote: »

Howa ya. The prison service fitness test is a 600m run between 2 cones 15 meters apart and is to be completed in 3 minutes. There's a run test with a fire extinguisher between 2 cones, not sure of the distance. There's a grip test on your strong hand and weak hand, not too sure on what pressure, it's something like 30lbs on your good hand. You'll also have to be able told a riot shield out in front of you off the ground for a minute. That's basically the test. You'll be grand. Best of luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Hi ALL,

Best of luck to all applying.

I saw earlier on thread somebody was looking for a serving Officer to answer some questions.
    I'll gladly answer any questions asked but it'll be my honest opinion and may not necessarily be the answer you're looking for so please don't shoot the messenger. (I remember a similar situation the last recruitment drive and some people just couldn't accept what was being said to them in good faith)

PM probably best, i wont answer anything specific on a public forum for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Howa ya. The prison service fitness test is a 600m run between 2 cones 15 meters apart and is to be completed in 3 minutes. There's a run test with a fire extinguisher between 2 cones, not sure of the distance. There's a grip test on your strong hand and weak hand, not too sure on what pressure, it's something like 30lbs on your good hand. You'll also have to be able told a riot shield out in front of you off the ground for a minute. That's basically the test. You'll be grand. Best of luck with it all

Thanks for that. I wouldnt worry about either of those. I'd just strap up the knee and away I go. Thanks for that

Has anyone heard anything yet? Will we hear something either way or just if we progress?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057333310

Have a read of this anyone thinking of joining. This guy gives great insight into the job.

Advertisement