Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing a lot of The Witness lately. Kind of dismissed it when it came out but decided to give it another go especially with the way Johnny Ultimate sings its praises. Have to say I'm quite enjoying it. I love the island and the puzzles are mostly excellent, mostly. There's a few that annoy me, particularly towards the end of the game where I'm at now, also did not like the sound based puzzles but I guess it's because I must be tone deaf. I might change my mind by the end but finding the whole narrative beyond pretentious but you can still enjoy the game separated from it. There really are some ingenious puzzles in this game and it does a hell of a lot with a simple mechanic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The density and depth of the island design is pretty incredible to me. Yes, while a lot of it is a puzzle delivery system, it's a bit of a triumph of exploration too - so many weird doors, secrets and areas to uncover as you pick the place apart.

It still pains me that the biggest, most incredible secret in the game is still something I can't really talk openly about without fundamentally spoiling the experience!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry. I'll probably gamefaqs it if I get stuck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It's that weird kind of game where gamefaq'ing the puzzles doesn't actually help in a lot of cases. I bought into the hype when it came out and bought it day one despite having a really cynical view of indie games and I loved it. Have since realised I have a really cynical view of 2D indie games.

Playing Somerville at the moment and it has very strong vibs of Limbo and Inside to it. It's not by Playdead but Jumpship and I was not at all surprised to learn Dino Patti was also involved with them.

Visually it's very, very nice and from what I've played so far it's got a War of the Worlds thing going on. Puzzles aren't exactly taking but the world is interesting to progress through. What is weird though is the game for the most part progresses to the left.

I reckon it's a 4 hour game so something bite sized to play of an evening or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was intrigued by this but I've heard a fair few reviewers and podcasters now say the game lacks polish - whether that's technical issues or strange dead ends in the world. Worse, they have said it just doesn't feel great to play. That's a big no-no for me in that type of cinematic platformer / story game - the thing about something like Inside is just how perfectly polished and honed it is.

I'll give it a go at some stage as it's on GamePass, but too many games crying for attention at the moment that any mixed response alas means I'll inevitably push it to the back of the play queue.

It got a fairly sizable patch there. From what I've heard the older Xbox machines had some serious framerate issues. Played buttery smooth for me on a Series X. I've seen people mention the walking and how the character moves was an issue, I didn't think anything of it myself tbh.

Finished up the Witness. Not everything done but I've my fill of it to be going around getting environmental puzzles and doing the challenges when I'm already awful enough at the puzzles as is. It really is up it's own hole pretentious but I can't deny it's a fantastic game well worth playing.

Is this **Major Spoiler**

The credits area with the non-Euclidean geometry?

The 'big' secret (again, major spoilers):

The fact that the island's visuals and geometry themselves are loaded with secret environmental puzzles. This is something someone could theoretically uncover in the very first room, but for me it was a good while in and looking over the island from the mountain when I realized 'wait a second...'. Blew my mind at the time to reveal there was a whole other layer of gameplay and depth to the visual design and architecture.

Of course, that effect probably isn't as profound if you discovered it earlier in the game, but I love that it's never really stated overtly and that someone could play through the whole game without finding them.

That was something I did notice when I got to a high point early on but I didn't really fully appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sure it's something I noticed in passing as I was playing but didn't realise...

...those line puzzles in the environment were something you could actually interact with until much later on.

On a very different note, is anyone playing Marvel Snap?

What a great game it is, despite its rather addictive qualities! Yes it's a free-to-play mobile card game, but the game is so snappy (pun intended!), pacy and exciting. The card range is hugely diverse and deck building can create amazing synergies between each card. But the real secret sauce is its dynamic play area. Games are played across three zones, and you have to win two. But each area has its own random gameplay quirk, with a new one revealed each turn for the first three turns (out of six). It means the early game is always changing, and creates a great risk-reward dynamic. You can, for example, pop a card into an 'unrevealed' zone early and hope that'll give you an advantage when it's revealed, but you equally risk that it'll be a **** zone that'll be a nightmare to actually win. They're usually always interesting though, and have seen some insane possibilities come into play when the zones are used just right.

Anyway, the main thing is that games are super quick, and the game is balanced just right that losing rarely feels unfair (you can abuse the systems as much as your opponent can). You get dozens and dozens of cards unlocked for free as you go, so it can be quite overwhelming to even build a deck as there are so many good choices. And the theming is really smart too - whether it's a card like Nightcrawler being able to move rapidly around the play area, to the Hulk just coming in as a brute force final card that can (usually) only be played in the final round.

So far the 'free to play' element is well-judged... again, so far. There are multiple currencies, but most of them just go towards variant cards. There is a monthly season pass that lets you get some cards early (currently a Black Panther themed set) and a bunch of bonuses that'll speed up your card collection, but again there are so many cards to choose from that there is always an equally viable alternative to the card you haven't gotten yet. It could tip into unfairness if some insane card is available via a season pass only, but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Greg and Tim from Kinda Funny have been raving about it for the past few weeks. Just not something I'm sure I want to start getting into just because of the addictive nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have it downloaded about 2 weeks but didn't open it. Tried it the other night and hit with a 1gb update required so forgot about it again. Will give it a spin with that recommendation though. I read that you can get an Uncle Ben card and if you discard it, you get a Spider-Man card which I thought was quite witty.

There was some dispute online whether that Uncle Ben card was real or not, but I think it is as one site seems to have a discussion with a developer talking about it!

The cards seem to be split into three tiers, and matchmaking is restricted to the same tier you're on. When you reach level 200 and something you're into tier two, and some of the weirder, more complicated cards start unlocking. And then there's another tier another few hundred levels above that.

Given that matchmaking rule, you don't see a lot of the higher-tier cards in normal play until you reach a particular level. I'm still around level 150 so still in the lower tier, but there are random effects that will see you dealt cards from the entire card pool. And I ended up with some delightfully batshit cards from the upper tiers in one such game!

Apparently, there's a high-level Agatha Harkness card that's particularly wild...

Had a quick go of Gungrave G.O.R.E there on gamepass. Hmmmm I'm torn, it feels like a PS2 game dragged into the 2020's but still playing the same and it very much is but I kind of liked it even though the reviews I read / saw didn't and stuff I should have taken issue with like the auto aiming mechanic didn't bother me.

I'll play a bit more and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ace Combat 7 has sold more than 4 million copies 😎

I'm loving this. Just one more game! (as child I'm suppised to be watching is sticking fork in electrical socket 😆)

Deserves to be twice as much but looks like very healthy sales so hoping for news of a new game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ace Combat 8: Retr0gamer.

Collector's edition includes a 30cm figure of a young Retr0gamer holding a paper plane in his hand 😉

Between Ace Combat and Star Wars Squadrons we had a little 90's mini-revival of the genre. I really hope it doesn't stop there. The X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, Wing Commander, the Ace Combat games on PS1, G-Police, Colony Wars etc. We used to be spoiled.

You don't have anything to worry about IMO, even Ace Combat 4 (the best in the series released at the height of its popularity) didn't even sell 3 million. It has never been a huge seller and they kept making them anyway, so 4 million practically guarantees us another.

Started up FF7 Remake again last night after long hiatus and was instantly reminded why I dropped it. Spent 3 hours clearing out boring side quests in the sector 5 slums for a bunch of absolute fannys. Think I'll just stick to Trails from Zero for now which is actually fun and has great side quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just don't do them and stick to the main path, you will have a far better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Even if you ignore the sidequests that game is so plodding

A shame cause it has one of the most brilliantly forward thinking action RPG battle systems in years, but they put it in a rubbishly designed game. 😭

There's a lot of appallingly designed shite in that game, but Hojo's Lab might be the single worst level I've played in a video game in the past ten years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Advertisement

Looks like pokemon scarlet and violet are the pretty much the best selling console exclusive games ever. Despite all the talk of performance issues it looks like people are really digging it.

Advertisement