Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Yeah they'll have a single-player online mode where the trade prices etc are still affected by online players but you will never be placed in the same instance as another online player.

The micro-transactions are only for ship textures in elite dangerous so I don't see it being a problem anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Everyone knows skins=wins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so is there a list of boardsies playing this? just bought it and am downloading, is there a friend system up yet?

being playing this for a few days, great game, takes a while to get a hang of stuff but im loving it, no idea how to effectively make money though :D fighting seems great until you include the fact that hull repairs are pricey, got away with 2% hull only to pay 1200 credits to repair it ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So I just got my joystick and tested a little flight to see how it went.

I really have to say, the difference is just amazing. It's so much easier to control with a stick. I only did some basic flight and fire testing as I've not gone in dept on the control config but I could see a huge improvement over keyboard / mouse combo the second I started. Not much time to play at the moment and the next time I'm on I'll probably just be configuring the controls but really looking forward to giving this a proper test soon.

Didn't last too long on this run as apparently I picked up a wanted status somewhere. Dunno if it was for killing the bloke who knocked me out of warp to scan my ship, then call m a dreg and fly off but either way, police decided it was enough to pound my ship into oblivion. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

so is there a list of boardsies playing this? just bought it and am downloading, is there a friend system up yet?

Great Idea - The Fighting Irish or something equally as corny!

Sign me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I've bought myself a PS3 Eye camera second hand for a tenner for face tracking, and results are interesting using Facetracknoir. I won't be playing ED until it's released but ARMA2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 is cool enough with head tracking. The camera is high speed and results vary using facetracking in different games with a variety of settings. It is more usable than you would expect, but I'll probably build myself a IR tracking clip for better performance soon. Just need to source the best LED's. What joysticks would people recommend, as in the best, and the best value for money? Have a 360 pad so I'll probably wait and see if its good enough, but will consider a joystick if good value is to be had.

I'd be up for joining a group as long as it's just a casual thing. I'll probably create a different group with the lads I normally play with when they get E:D. I just started trading in my basic sidewinder so I won't be much use to anyone for a while yet but if anyone is up for collaborating on trade runs then add me.

Joysticks wise, I bought a standard X52 secondhand for €75 on donedeal - delighted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

just caved and bought this :) I spent so many hours of my life playing the original on different machines in the 80s from Amstrad CPC to 386 based PCs. Feckin loved it, hopefully nostalgia lives up to it with the new version.

I wasnt grabbed I have to say. The controls are fiddly and its so obvious this is being preped for a console port. Am I missing something? Seem much like Frontier with fancy graphics.

• Advertisement

Bepolite wrote: »
    I wasnt grabbed I have to say. The controls are fiddly and its so obvious this is being preped for a console port. Am I missing something? Seem much like Frontier with fancy graphics.

That's disappointing to hear. I loved the scope of the first two Elite games. The third was a disappointment and very buggy. I had reservations about fronting so much money but the fact Frontier plan to keep developing the game enticed me to buy the lifetime pass, as I know I will want to keep coming back every time more depth (DLC) gets added. I hope to enjoy the game and all, but I'm really not into grinding away all my time. I'm mainly interested in the game from a technical point of view. I guess the game isn't finished yet, so I hope the game is unprecedented and expansive and fun. If it does get published on consoles that's ok with me too. It should keep the system specs realistic as more detail is added and grow the user base to fill the universe with players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yea I'm holding out til The €40 release. The DK2 arrival might make it harder though xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's disappointing to hear. I loved the scope of the first two Elite games. The third was a disappointment and very buggy. I had reservations about fronting so much money but the fact Frontier plan to keep developing the game enticed me to buy the lifetime pass, as I know I will want to keep coming back every time more depth (DLC) gets added. I hope to enjoy the game and all, but I'm really not into grinding away all my time. I'm mainly interested in the game from a technical point of view. I guess the game isn't finished yet, so I hope the game is unprecedented and expansive and fun. If it does get published on consoles that's ok with me too. It should keep the system specs realistic as more detail is added and grow the user base to fill the universe with players.
    I'm doubting it'll feel like too much of a grind. Obviously there will actually be a grind, otherwise within a week or two, everyone will be flying the best ships with the best kit. But the way they seem to be setting things out is that if you're playing to have the best ship possible, then the game isn't for you. It's more about setting out a virtual life for yourself and seeing how well you can succeed.

Even from the very limited beta I've found myself not worrying about making money, but testing the systems and playing around with the world and seeing how it reacts. Although, given that I have no fear of losing a ship or money, I'm more free to experiment and not worry about consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Bepolite wrote: »

ah come on its a very early Beta its not even 30% complete, the game is going to rock in a few months

kingtiger wrote: »
    ah come on its a very early Beta its not even 30% complete, the game is going to rock in a few months

I know it's beta but honestly I don't see sweeping changes. I'm finding it all a bit samey - it's not bad - I'm enjoying it, but I remember frontier absolutely blowing me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah I know what you mean. If you watch any videos of this on youtube they all amount to the same thing.

Person takes off from space station, flies to the exit. Warps to another place. Navigates a menu to "trade". Gets spotted by somebody. Gets blown up. Winds up back at spacestation.

I mean, am I missing something here? Is trading and fighting the only thing this game has? Beta or not, there needs to be things to do in a game otherwise, the novelty of flying your spaceship will fade.

Similar to the problems I feel about Star Citizen and No Man's Sky. You can create a terrific universe that's a technical achievement.....but if the user has nothing to do in it, you have failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Yes there will be plenty of things to do but it cannot be stated enough this is an early development build. Really, it's not even a beta it's closer to a late alpha; it is very feature incomplete at present. This is the big problem with developers misusing terms like alpha and beta and, also partly, people not understanding that of course an unfinished game isn't going to have all its features.

In the final game you'll have better missions, better trading, piracy, mercenary work, bounty hunting, exploration, mining, salvaging and probably other things I'm forgetting. That's to say nothing of the expansions that'll add atmospheric flight and planetary landing, boarding operations, etc..

Yes there will be plenty of things to do but it cannot be stated enough this is an early development build. Really, it's not even a beta it's closer to a late alpha; it is very feature incomplete at present. This is the big problem with developers misusing terms like alpha and beta and, also partly, people not understanding that of course an unfinished game isn't going to have all its features.

In the final game you'll have better missions, better trading, piracy, mercenary work, bounty hunting, exploration, mining, salvaging and probably other things I'm forgetting. That's to say nothing of the expansions that'll add atmospheric flight and planetary landing, boarding operations, etc..

I take your pointbut I've been playing games since the 80's and have played countless betas. There are certain things that don't change; such as the control system. I dont understand why they've gone for this fiddly interface, the Frontier interface would have been grand.

What problem are you having with the controls? There are a tonne of options so it might be that you need to select the one that suits you. I remember having to change the mouse pitch/roll settings to one of the other defaults. Can you explain what the exact problem is and I might be able to give you a hand?

As for stuff to do, there are lots of missions, interdictions by pirates, trading etc but also there are things happening in star systems that you have to find yourself by exploring. For example, fly to about 1 Ls away from the planet Eranin 2 and look in your nav panel and you will see a conflict zone and Federal Distress Call waypoints.

In their last newsletter they said that they want to make the next release more accessible to people who are just starting the game and I think that's really needed. Those of us who have been playing for the last few months know about all these extra areas and have learned some tricks with maneuvering and balancing subsystems etc so that knowledge gap needs to be filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

anyone interested in meeting up online ?

Also looking for some hints/tips ? I've flown the original Elite, Frontier. Frontier 2 etc so I can fly the ship, dock and generally shoot things but I didn't know about the L1 location mentioned below.

Any one try the online comms yet ?

• Advertisement

We have a channel for Elite: Dangerous on the gaellords TS server so anyone is welcome to pop in. The group play is not perfect at the moment so it can be difficult to stick with your friends in game but most of us are just exchanging trade tips etc

You can also create your own channel if you want to just play with your friends and there is a mixed age group so we understand if you want to split up into separate channels for those reasons too. If anyone want to arrange a time to meet or needs help with TS then send me a pm - I'll be on later this evening. The TS server address is "gaellords.com"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

JumboBreakfast, thanks for that.

I won't get online tonight but I'll pm you when I am available.

What problem are you having with the controls? There are a tonne of options so it might be that you need to select the one that suits you. I remember having to change the mouse pitch/roll settings to one of the other defaults. Can you explain what the exact problem is and I might be able to give you a hand?

As for stuff to do, there are lots of missions, interdictions by pirates, trading etc but also there are things happening in star systems that you have to find yourself by exploring. For example, fly to about 1 Ls away from the planet Eranin 2 and look in your nav panel and you will see a conflict zone and Federal Distress Call waypoints.

In their last newsletter they said that they want to make the next release more accessible to people who are just starting the game and I think that's really needed. Those of us who have been playing for the last few months know about all these extra areas and have learned some tricks with maneuvering and balancing subsystems etc so that knowledge gap needs to be filled.

Its not the flight controls - took me 15 minutes to figure out how to request docking, why is it not in comms? Fair enough - probably will be fixed or at least alluded to in a tutorial.

My main issue is the left anf right panel thing. Maybe once head tracking is in game (I have the trackIR not the OR) it will be uber but at the moment having to navigate the consoles pulls me out of the immersion. I'm perhaps just being pinicikity because it's not the frontier type system. Once I configure my joystick (oooh matron) perhaps it'll be a bit better.

I'm also concerned that there is no player driven economy a la Eve - missed a trick there I think. A major source of fun for me in MMOs is crafting. Would have been great to go out and mine, make uber stuff and sell it on. Perhaps this is coming?

I think a lot more people would be dissapointed if they used the same interface from a game that was released in 1995 :) Don't get me wrong, I loved Frontier on the Amiga but nothing has ever compared to that since because there's a healthy dose of nostalgia involved there too.

They made a conscious decison to force you to look at those panels in order to increase immersion, not decrease it. But... if you have a trackIR then you can just look left and right at the panels once you set it up right. I thought that TrackIR should work straight off but if not then try here for some tips: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=399191&postcount=1
    If you need to ask questions about trackir then post them in the merged thread here: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11117&page=31

Economies like mining etc will be included. For now, you can take hints from system economy types as to what is tradable between systems. e.g. Extraction economies have cheap minerals which will often fetch a good price in a refinery type economy. That's pretty basic for now but there is a section of the forums called design discussion. The mining one is here: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7196

Other Design Discussions are linked here:http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25164 You can also check out FrontierDevelopments youtube channel which has lots of dev blogs detailing upcoming features.

You have to remember that you are coming late to the party so have a lot to catch up with so if you think the game is missing something then just search their forum or ask a question.

what would be the best economy to sell titanium to? bought some for 663 credits and looking to sell it on for a wee profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

what would be the best economy to sell titanium to? bought some for 663 credits and looking to sell it on for a wee profit

Any Poor, Low Pop, Industrial economy, like Bolg, Nang Ta-Khain, Ovid, Rakapila or Tilian.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I must confess, I really love the look of this game and when it's closer to completion, I may invest in it and some manner of HOTAS stick to get the most out of it. I don't have a Rift or a TrackIR, but I do have the Voice Attack software as shown in this video:

The Voice Attack software does work, I've been using it in Titanfall for things like calling down my Titan and ejecting when it's doomed etc and it's rarely let me down. T'was only a fiver recently too on a sale (it was linked somewhere in this forum when I saw it first, I don't remember where exactly though, sorry).

I'd like to use voice attack but I usually play while on teamspeak so I don't think it would work for me and using the rift means I can't use the keyboard for push to talk. Maybe I could use "TS on/off" in voice attack as a workaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

so I'm still tipping about fairly casually, trying to get to grips with everything. I haven't even bothered to trade yet. One thing I did do was setup FaceTrackNoir.

Recently Tescos Extra stores, have been selling off PS3/Xbox360/Nintendo games/accessories for very cheap. I bought a PS3 camera for 5 euros. Anyway its fantastically compatible with FaceTrackNoir, and thus works great in Elite. So in essence I have a cheapy version of TrackIR and it works pretty good so far. I think if I add in VoiceAttack on top on, it will work really well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd like to use voice attack but I usually play while on teamspeak so I don't think it would work for me and using the rift means I can't use the keyboard for push to talk. Maybe I could use "TS on/off" in voice attack as a workaround.

Why is it that PTT isn't an option with the Rift? Are you hands on with a joystick too? Can a button be bound for PTT? I've never had anything more complicated than an XBox controller plugged into a PC for controls beyond mouse & keyboard, so I'm not at all familiar with any of the "day-to-day" reality of another control system, never mind a new visual system too.

It is possible but I have run out of easy to reach buttons on my joystick and throttle :) ...Actually there are a few buttons that refuse to work in Elite so perhaps I need to fiddle around with the joystick control panel to get them to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I remember playing the original Elite game back in the early 90s on the Commodore Amiga. Looking forward to checking this out!

do random pirates normally have bounties on them or would they only have bounties if you accept a mission? havnt fought them yet, just eran's and feds

do random pirates normally have bounties on them or would they only have bounties if you accept a mission? havnt fought them yet, just eran's and feds
    If you attack anyone in an independent system you don't get wanted status. That means that pirates won't have a wanted status in those systems either so you get no money from destroying them there. the only way to get money out of pirates in these systems is by taking missions.

If you see a pirate in a policed system and he has a wanted status then you are free to blow him up and claim the bounty. If you get interdicted by an NPC that demands your cargo then don't open fire unless his status is "wanted". Sometimes they are not wanted in that system so you should put all pips to shields (SYS) and wait for them to hit you once and as soon as that happens they will change to wanted and you can attack them. Either that or fleeee

If you attack anyone in an independent system you don't get wanted status. That means that pirates won't have a wanted status in those systems either so you get no money from destroying them there. the only way to get money out of pirates in these systems is by taking missions.

If you see a pirate in a policed system and he has a wanted status then you are free to blow him up and claim the bounty. If you get interdicted by an NPC that demands your cargo then don't open fire unless his status is "wanted". Sometimes they are not wanted in that system so you should put all pips to shields (SYS) and wait for them to hit you once and as soon as that happens they will change to wanted and you can attack them. Either that or fleeee

tumblr_mbnlpbdZHb1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

• Advertisement

A nice video showing the heat mechanic, maneuvering without flight assist and how to avoid scans when carrying stolen goods:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's brilliant. I never really got how to use heat and thought when the screen frosted over that you were about to die, so always turned things back on before it got too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Awesome, Can't wait to get this game......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Very well executed. Nice narrative there. That would absolutely help sell the game. They should get on it. :)

Played again last night for the first time in ages. First thing I learned is that those anomalous readings or whatever they are when supercruising can be hazardous to your health.
    First one I stopped at had me jumped by something. Fight was close but I lost in the end.
    Second one was and complete spanking for me. I dropped out and there was some gold lying around. So I had a quick look around the area, no ships.. sweet. Cargo scoop out and picked up the first of 3. Suddenly three ships appear. The first of which had my shields gone and hull wrecked in 3 or 4 shots. lulz.

Note to anyone else out there. The gold is a trap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Noxin wrote: »
    Played again last night for the first time in ages. First thing I learned is that those anomalous readings or whatever they are when supercruising can be hazardous to your health.
    First one I stopped at had me jumped by something. Fight was close but I lost in the end.
    Second one was and complete spanking for me. I dropped out and there was some gold lying around. So I had a quick look around the area, no ships.. sweet. Cargo scoop out and picked up the first of 3. Suddenly three ships appear. The first of which had my shields gone and hull wrecked in 3 or 4 shots. lulz.

Note to anyone else out there. The gold is a trap!

Is that other people being pirates or is it procedurally generated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Really enjoyed that video, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

We have a channel for Elite: Dangerous on the gaellords TS server so anyone is welcome to pop in. The group play is not perfect at the moment so it can be difficult to stick with your friends in game but most of us are just exchanging trade tips etc

You can also create your own channel if you want to just play with your friends and there is a mixed age group so we understand if you want to split up into separate channels for those reasons too. If anyone want to arrange a time to meet or needs help with TS then send me a pm - I'll be on later this evening. The TS server address is "gaellords.com"

Hey. I have being playing the Beta now for a while and just got my joystick this week so if anybody is getting a group together im definably interested. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

there is a gang of us forming on gaellords teamspeak
    more and more of us getting it, as even when not grouping we pass tips and tricks.
    just got my copy and its pretty awesome

tried with keyboard and mouse - gave up.

dusted of my x52pro and having a blast.

Gbear wrote: »
    Is that other people being pirates or is it procedurally generated?

This was just NPC pirates attacking me. But nothing to stop a group of players doing the exact same thing. All they would have to do is run silent so they don't get detected like the above video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

game worth getting with no head tracking gubbins, or Rift etc? seems to scream out for it, with the interfaces to the left and right for common operations

have an x52pro, so maybe can go key maping crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

Wossack wrote: »
    game worth getting with no head tracking gubbins, or Rift etc? seems to scream out for it, with the interfaces to the left and right for common operations

have an x52pro, so maybe can go key maping crazy

as i have said earlier keyboard personally is a no go. still play without trackir or OC and it is playable but a bit cluncky at times which is where either will really shine through in complete immersion. if you want can stream later and you can see what i mean and then judge for your self.

i have a x52 and when plugged in it automatically configured to these settings:
    obviously as i have played i have tweaked to my personal taste.

SaitekEDx52pro.jpg

if you need a reference to the buttons
    http://www.gaellords.com/forums/images/saitekx52.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im trying to resist getting more games to play - me watching videos is no help hah! Im particularly excited by the audio for some reason.. throttling up just sounds so epic, I really just want to grab the x52 and give it a go :p

I do plan on getting a rift, so think I'll try and push it back for another while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Elite: Dangerous Progress Diary #12

I think the system specs just jumped a tad :pac:

Great googly moogly!

I've been busy with other games, I was only vaguely aware that there was another Elite coming out. And then I see the jaw-dropping scale at 2:40 in that video, and I start thinking "Sarky... Just how badly do you want to continue that PhD? Wouldn't you rather spend 3 years being a space pirate?"

Come payday I'm getting me some of that sweet, sweet space candy.

Welcome to the club. When you think about it all you need is power and food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement