Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we headed for another crash?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mojoeback wrote: »
    the end is nigh .......................................................................................................... or maybe a very old post

There was no need for that extraneous punctuation. Less is more. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

currency stability is going to be replaced by, ehh, currency flexibility

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

people in Ireland thinking we are booming when we see new cars sales up.What this says to me is that John and Mary. are now 500 euros poorer a month. but the feel Great lovely Smell of New car. next the get a credit Gold card with 30000 euros credit limited lets going a spending spree you know where this is all going another crash you can 100 per cent see its here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Nows the time to accumulate a ball of cash and line up the investors for the inevitable crash. Then swoop in.

My Grandfather had 650 men working for him in London in 1960s to 1990s and in the 90s a lot of his staff had new cars but he was driving a 15 years old van and. when the crash of 1990 to 1991 came 650 men where on the dole. my Grandfather retired a very rich/ wealthy Man he has since past away my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet. no toffee nose stuff.and yes there is a crash coming its called Brexit. this Crash is going to be big time 2008 will not get a look in. start saving big time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My Grandfather had 650 men working for him in London in 1960s to 1990s and in the 90s a lot of his staff had new cars but he was driving a 15 years old van and. when the crash of 1990 to 1991 came 650 men where on the dole. my Grandfather retired a very rich/ wealthy Man he has since past away my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet. no toffee nose stuff.and yes there is a crash coming its called Brexit. this Crash is going to be big time 2008 will not get a look in. start saving big time .

Ah brexit will be small fry when compared to the next major financial crisis, prepare for it, it's in the post

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah brexit will be small fry when compared to the next major financial crisis, prepare for it, it's in the post
    You are 100 per cent right I totally agree with you big time

Moral of the story? Build a company employing 500+ people for 30+ years and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, and don't buy new cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Asset prices are being supported at artificially high levels at the moment by QE and as central banks stop buying vast swathes of assets (particularly bonds) prices will normalise. It's not all bad though because falling bond prices mean increased yields which will help bridge the holes in pension funds.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Trumps tax measures underwhelmed and led to a sharp correction.

Asset prices are being supported at artificially high levels at the moment by QE and as central banks stop buying vast swathes of assets (particularly bonds) prices will normalise. It's not all bad though because falling bond prices mean increased yields which will help bridge the holes in pension funds.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Trumps tax measures underwhelmed and led to a sharp correction.

....or a complete collapse of the global monetary system, whos knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

....or a complete collapse of the global monetary system, whos knows!

At least if you're stuck for tinfoil you can tear a strip off the hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

my Grandmother still lives in London in home worth over 8 million pound paid for and the are the most down to earth people you could ever meet.

Bit of an oxymoron there

At least if you're stuck for tinfoil you can tear a strip off the hat.

im afraid you can ditch all that neoclassical stuff, its all nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There is no crash in sight -- bookmark

Last crash was mostly due to borrowing off the strength of worthless / non existent assets - or borrowing to pay for highly inflated assets

There is no proof of this in sight again

Spend away people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

This in the independent this morning about noonan and Enda.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/taoiseach-and-noonan-personally-briefed-facebook-and-google-on-apple-tax-row-35565523.html

They hav,nt even appointed a Brexit minister yet for the north but they can meet these .

We don,t want another maned boarder again they need get there priorities right .

And the italian Banks are fcuked mario draghi been cooking the books .

remind me of this the count . imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIniljT5lJI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If we resurrect this thread every year, if will eventually be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This in the independent this morning about noonan and Enda.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/taoiseach-and-noonan-personally-briefed-facebook-and-google-on-apple-tax-row-35565523.html

They hav,nt even appointed a Brexit minister yet for the north but they can meet these .

We don,t want another maned boarder again they need get there priorities right .
    Noonan and Kenny won't be in politics when Brexit actually happens. They couldn't give a fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kicking the auld can down to the local again, then go in and spend €7 on a pint, recession 2.0 me bollix. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

No, I don't see a crash coming.
    Our bankers and politicians have learned a lot from the mistakes of the past.
    They will ensure that any future crash is anticipated, and becomes a 'Soft Landing'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

deandean wrote: »
    They will ensure that any future crash is anticipated, and becomes a 'Soft Landing'.

The soft landing being the taxpayers hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Since when has this miracle happened ?

Just wow. You must be joking
    This is either the funniest post ever on boards, or the scariest

Congratulations either way I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

But a soft landing doesent mean you will be able to pay your debts.
    If govt drives a policy then prices will only keep going up, the govt will be made to take the blame for a situation created by the masses complaining about homelessness.
    A solving of the homelessness issue shouldn't be an excuse for overheating the construction industry.
    I'm glad I'm not starting off now!
    http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/firsttime-home-buyers-warned-they-are-at-risk-of-a-new-debt-trap-35565678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

They couldn't anticipate the sun rising even on the most and anticipating-est day of their lives even if they had an electrified anticipating machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

The soft landing being the taxpayers hah

Not quite, the single resolution fund directed by EU will see bank creditors taking the fall; plus reserves are now significantly higher due to Basel III.

I dont believe the same bank collapses will happen again with the stricter regulatory environment.

That said, if the government goes bust we will still be well and truely f**ked :)

• Advertisement

They couldn't anticipate the sun rising even on the most and anticipating-est day of their lives even if they had an electrified anticipating machine

In reality, you will find commentators on both sides regularly saying that a crash is coming/a surge is coming. its all bull****, nobody can time the wider market falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Not quite, the single resolution fund directed by EU will see bank creditors taking the fall; plus reserves are now significantly higher due to Basel III.

I dont believe the same bank collapses will happen again with the stricter regulatory environment.

That said, if the government goes bust we will still be well and truely f**ked :)

But surely the Regulators will be all over a situation like that before it happens. Surely they are checking, assessing and monitoring arrangement put in place by Institutions under the BRRD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Haha, i see what you did there. Great sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I thought that the last crash would be caused by increases in interest rates. So it did. To a certain extent. ECB Interest rates increased from 2 to 4.25% from end 2006 to 2008.

Then interest rates fell to 0%.

So unless you think that we never go past 2% again trackers will be in trouble.

There's a bit of give in retail rates though. In Ireland they are expensive precisely because trackers are losing money so I dont see the retail rates tracking ECB rates at the same delta.

However the US has started tightening. Let's see what the ECB does.

But surely the Regulators will be all over a situation like that before it happens. Surely they are checking, assessing and monitoring arrangement put in place by Institutions under the BRRD?

Indeed. The reporting requirements are more stringent, monthly reporting to central bank etc. Therefore I think any crash will not come from the banking system but rather the "old-style" decline in GDP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Only if people are stupid....which they probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

We'll have to wait and see what rent-an-economist Jim Power says first...Everything hinges on him.

(as long as his sponsors him write a big enough cheque - he'll say anything they want him to say...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

unfortunately in some cases, the main creditors in some banks are in fact depositors, and its looking likely that bank bail ins will be applied if these banks go bust.

if a government goes bust, why doesnt it do what banks do, and create money out of thin air?
    Only if people are stuoid....which they probably are.

what if the economic and financial systems in which we all depend on are fundamentally flawed, leading to 'bad' decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Just wow. You must be joking
    This is either the funniest post ever on boards, or the scariest

Congratulations either way I suppose
    Thank you Andy, after seven years and 1722 posts my pofferings of Dramatic Irony are finally recognised.
    I shall print your comment on 120gsm parchment, and frame it.
    I may change my name to Bondholder, as I have been burned.
    I lost a lot. But not my sense of humour. It kept me alive ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There is no question that another crash will happen - Its as sure as the seasons of the year. The question is when and how bad.

You only have to look at the Matt Damon narrated documentary "Inside Job" and how the last one happened and then look at what people like Trump are doing and saying!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There is no question that another crash will happen - Its as sure as the seasons of the year. The question is when and how bad.

You only have to look at the Matt Damon narrated documentary "Inside Job" and how the last one happened and then look at what people like Trump are doing and saying!

personally much prefer renegade incs documentary 'four horsemen' explaining the crash

personally much prefer renegade incs documentary 'four horsemen' explaining the crash

Haven't seen it. Must have a look

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Haven't seen it. Must have a look

i actually didnt know about inside job, i ll have a gander thanks.

four horsemen, enjoy:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

before sanctions were lifted in 2016, Iran were swapping comodities for oil with India, China and Turkey. This would have had a knock on effect and it would have been the end of the petro-dollar... that would have been some sort of a melt-down?!

• Advertisement

i actually didnt know about inside job, i ll have a gander thanks.

four horsemen, enjoy:

Thank You Just watched it make you think.

This is where to watch Inside Job - 2010 Oscar winner for best documentary!

YouTube doesn't have good quality video for this, other than the trailer

http://documentary-movie.com/inside-job/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Inside job is brilliant at explaining how complex financial derivatives and bonds work.

Thank You Just watched it make you think.

Yes, it would all make you think that maybe we should be sending our children to school for them to learn survival skills and hunting skills rather than send them there to learn algebra.

Except we've also destroyed the hunting game stocks, fish stocks etc and the ability to keep land fertile into the future too!

Just finished watching Four Horsemen.
    It's alright but I much preferred Inside Job

Advertisement