Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jesus. It's actually happening....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Example: Independant produced band with arse hanging out of trousers, that are great Vs Major label backed turd band with oodles of money. - Me
    Completely unrealistic proposition! - PaulBrewer

That's what i took to be your point
    My point is there's nothing wrong with selling a support slot.
    Gigs aren't a Social Service where one band 'deserves' a support and another doesn't.

You could say it could be a case of putting an inferior ingredient into a product because the suppliers make it worthwhile to the producers. The customers lose out.

I'm not for or against support slots. pro's and con's on each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

that are great Vs Major label backed turd band with oodles of money.

The hole in your argument is that there is no definitive way to judge if an act is as you describe - only personal value judgements.

Therefore it can have no currency in any argument extended from that view point.

And if you put those apostrophes in 'pro and cons' again.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Interesting.

However support band tours would rarely make money.
    Often tours themselves may not generate money, especially if the band is only breaking through.

The tour is to sell the CD which is to promote the tour and so it goes.

I recall a coast to coast 2 sleeper bus tour I did in the 90's with a band that was Top 100 in the US that cost $119,000 after everything!

And they sold out practically everywhere, Headlining!

yeah sorry i should have pointed out that it was talked about because it was one of the rare times that a band actually made a profit on a support tour.

To go back On Topic -
    does anyone know any bands on it?

you see as Paul as pointed out, the cost of big tours is phenomenal and the profit margins aren't quite as big as some might think.

also to sell a lot of cd's you gottta do a big tour which is gonna cost a lot, so you gotta sell a lot of cd's which most bands have a sh1te stake in anyway. So a band either hopes that their record company stays a benevolent donator of cash because the band show a profit in annual accounts or else they is gonna get dropped (like almost every band does), and end up struggling to make ends meet despite having 'made it'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Who said that?

The music business is full of people who love music as well as people who don't.

My point is there's nothing wrong with selling a support slot.

The Music Business IS sometimes about Music but it's ALWAYS about business.

The sooner more people realise that the sooner there'll be less casualties.

I think that's good for all.

Paul, the people who sell support slots are known in the business as song sharks.

And few other things
    1. No reasonably well known (even new act) act ever ever ever pays to play support anywhere. This is a little myth that's been pushed around for years that isn't true --- the only people who pay to play support are gullible rich kids
    This is a songshark myth.

2. No company that ever has a serious interest in anyones music, charges for recording or studio time when it comes to creating demos. And that includes the well equip bedroom studios,, that actually are part of releasing "real" commercial recordings. If anyone ever ever ever asks you for money to record in their spare room ,, they are a grubby songsharks --- the easy give away is always their fat bellies -- take a look -- if they want money, and they have fat bellies,, and they're wearing a black t-shirt -- the chances are they're just trying to rip you off --- and most of the time you deserve to be ripped off.

There is an huge industry in getting rich kids kids into rooms with black wall carpet and some mic's, and taking their money --- this is not the "music industry" -- this is the ripping off rich kids industry.

Most people involved in releasing real records, that people actually hear on things like the radio or actually buy. Involve themselves in recording and producing material where no money what so ever, ever ever ever, changes hands between themselves and the "talent", on the basis that when the actual "real" lucrative work comes in it pays everyone off.

any of these sharks could make as much money and have more fun for everyone else, is by taking a bunch of toneless teenagers, teach them how to play the Artic monkeys back catalogue -- then teach them how to rip off the songs-- they'd make more money- and we'd all have more fun.

Saying that I'm utterly and absolutely disgusted by what this scumbag promoter is doing.

It causes problems for me -- a real genuine promoter and lover of talent and music, who's holding a charity concert in around March. -- 300 bands -- one hundred euros to play,,,, :( it's an industry standard -- all proceed going to charity
    my favourite charity.

If you're interested,,, contact my good self or Paul Brewer

Psst --- if you pay a grand you get closer to the top of the bill --- you could be the next 'fight like apes'

And if you put those apostrophes in 'pro and cons' again.....:mad:

high_horse.jpg

high_horse.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Supports on big tours goes to labelmates of the headlining act, that's pretty much a given. There are no ethics to the whole thing, it's purely business. It's a shop window for whoever else they are trying to push into people's faces, so indy bands don't really have a hope. No point arguing the rights and the wrongs of it, tis what it is.

Anyway that's going wayyyyy OT....Whelan's, yeah, I'm there.
    I have to admit, a part of me is intrigued at the whole thing, financially anyway. It's even listed on the whelans site so seems to be going ahead regardless what us do-gooders have to say about it.

As long as you have kids wanting gigs....

• Advertisement

Picket line!

Can we call "shenanigans" over here?

Right. Seriously, I need to get back to this college assisgnment...............maybe one more game of free cell...........

krd wrote: »
    Paul, the people who sell support slots are known in the business as song sharks.

And few other things
    1. No reasonably well known (even new act) act ever ever ever pays to play support anywhere. This is a little myth that's been pushed around for years that isn't true --- the only people who pay to play support are gullible rich kids
    This is a songshark myth.

2. No company that ever has a serious interest in anyones music, charges for recording or studio time when it comes to creating demos. And that includes the well equip bedroom studios,, that actually are part of releasing "real" commercial recordings. If anyone ever ever ever asks you for money to record in their spare room ,, they are a grubby songsharks --- the easy give away is always their fat bellies -- take a look -- if they want money, and they have fat bellies,, and they're wearing a black t-shirt -- the chances are they're just trying to rip you off --- and most of the time you deserve to be ripped off.

There is an huge industry in getting rich kids kids into rooms with black wall carpet and some mic's, and taking their money --- this is not the "music industry" -- this is the ripping off rich kids industry.

Most people involved in releasing real records, that people actually hear on things like the radio or actually buy. Involve themselves in recording and producing material where no money what so ever, ever ever ever, changes hands between themselves and the "talent", on the basis that when the actual "real" lucrative work comes in it pays everyone off.

any of these sharks could make as much money and have more fun for everyone else, is by taking a bunch of toneless teenagers, teach them how to play the Artic monkeys back catalogue -- then teach them how to rip off the songs-- they'd make more money- and we'd all have more fun.

Saying that I'm utterly and absolutely disgusted by what this scumbag promoter is doing.

It causes problems for me -- a real genuine promoter and lover of talent and music, who's holding a charity concert in around March. -- 300 bands -- one hundred euros to play,,,, :( it's an industry standard -- all proceed going to charity
    my favourite charity.

If you're interested,,, contact my good self or Paul Brewer

Psst --- if you pay a grand you get closer to the top of the bill --- you could be the next 'fight like apes'

You've written it down on an internet forum, it must be true so ....

i'd say the sex offender community in dublin nearly shat it's proverbial pants when it found out about this gig.

Hi everybody,

I'm hot in town looking for some hot talent!

I'm an A&R scout for the hottest top labels. like Bertlesman Universal, and Warner International.

We're currently searching out the hottest talent in the Ireland/Galway area.

We're dying to hear your hot recordings,, and a hot deal is waiting for the talented few.

If you've got the talent it takes,, we've got the people who will take your demos straight to the people who count, and make the few, who's talent truly deserves it, stars.

Don't waste your talent slogging away for years. We're here and ready to take you to an interglactic level, you've only ever dreamed possible. You deseve it.

If you have the talent -- we'd like to hear from you RIGHT NOW --THIS VERY MOMENT --- DON'T LET YOUR HOTNESS COOL FOR A SECOND

Western union transfers preferred
    and I know we might ask alot -- but if your parents really loved you they'd cough up. (and if you're too poor to afford it -- what are you doing in the music industry?-- the music business is for rich kids and rich kids only -- do you think anyone in 'fight like apes' grew up in a council house -- get a job cleaning rich peoples toilets -- that's all you were bred for ,,, scum-- poor people don't have talent)

Contact my good self -- or my agent in the Galway/Eire region,, Paul Brewer

DON'T LET YOUR HOTNESS COOL FOR A SECOND

That's good advice anyway.

jtsuited wrote: »
    i'd say the sex offender community in dublin nearly shat it's proverbial pants when it found out about this gig.

Jesus Christ -- you're some kind of money business genius

Can you come work for me -- I'm just going to be busy up to the end of march -- doing some charity work -- but I think you are the kind of guy with the right kind of ideas that really go ca ching ca ching.

Do you have a copy of the sex offenders registry -- so we can start calling them up and selling them tickets. (are you on it -- I don't really mind -- we all have our indescretions -- what's important is helping people)

The sex offenders can even come and work for my talent agency -- it will be a pay to play gig -- sorry :( another industry standard :( those pesky things.

Registered offenders are obliged by law to inform prospective employers, that they are registered on the sex offenders registry
    but **** that -- I believe people can be reformed and rehabilitated -- and good talent scouts are hard to come by --- especially the ones who pay industry standard rates to judge the talent of young adolescents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

to get back on topic, can someone please inform the tax people about this joker?

i dont live in ireland anymore but know of this clows business deals.

if we could get him audited it'd be great as he's have to produce and pay for profits from last years "performance"

so call Mr. Tax man! everybody do it so hopfeully we can take this fool down

krd for poster of the millenium.

judas101 wrote: »
    to get back on topic, can someone please inform the tax people about this joker?

i dont live in ireland anymore but know of this clows business deals.

if we could get him audited it'd be great as he's have to produce and pay for profits from last years "performance"

so call Mr. Tax man! everybody do it so hopfeully we can take this fool down

never ever ever call the tax man on anything music related. we'll all get stung. feck this i'm gettin out of here til the heat dies down!!

never ever ever call the tax man on anything music related. we'll all get stung.
    +1. Even those who are registered will have our lives made hell. Besides, professional sabotage is not a good idea, ever. Sooner or later you'll cross the wrong person, maybe someone with a really questionable background, and then yer fooked. Boards isn't that anonymous and the music industry on this island is tiny, perhaps something to bear in mind....
    jtsuited wrote:
    krd for poster of the millenium.
    Y'think? Not quite getting it meself.

you'll all get stung? are you all pulling in over 45 grand a weekend tax free?

Jaysus, no wonder there's a recession

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    +1. Even those who are registered will have our lives made hell. Besides, professional sabotage is not a good idea, ever. Sooner or later you'll cross the wrong person, maybe someone with a really questionable background, and then yer fooked. Boards isn't that anonymous and the music industry on this island is tiny, perhaps something to bear in mind....
    should sticky that actually - never ever ever bring the revenue commissioneers into anything, because we'd ALL be fooked. Apart from the select few (who i've yet to meet), this industry is built on nixers, cash in hand jobs (lol hand jobs!), and other stuff that the taxman would have a field day with.

you'll all get stung? are you all pulling in over 45 grand a weekend tax free?

Jaysus, no wonder there's a recession

nope but having dealt with the taxman before (thankfully in a non-musical context) i can tell you that you do not want them at your door with an audit ready.
    actually lately i've been noticing a good few more 'can you sign this invoice?' rather than 'here's the cash from behind the bar, the price of the pints were taken out of it, and there's a couple packs of bacon fries in there for the drive home'.

this industry is built on nixers, cash in hand jobs (lol hand jobs!)
    giggidy

I know a lot of the money is cash in hand. A wedding band making 1-5 grand on a gig, i'd look the other way

45 grand nixers? for that amount of cash, I don't know. It seems it should be declared. if he's making that much cash screwing gullible people over (as opposed to just a nixer)........ I don't know really, good points all round.

And savman, you put a thanks under my post that said it was suggested in conversation to call revenue and then +1ing a post that says don't involve the taxman?
    You sure? I don't think I did...

edit: just re-read over the thread, defo no thanks there from me dude. I'm a bit more conservative with it :D

My apologies good sir, you are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

About the tax issues... i went bankrupt and lost about 35kgbp. I'd still be above board with tax people.

1. stuff catches up with you.
    2. pay your dues to the nanny state you live in.
    3. take yourself seriously.

If we all ran our business as business people then the messers and half arsed idiots would all go because of the fear of reprisals from the revenue office.

'What's a few quid here and there?' - it's just as bad as 'I'll go download that album without paying for it, wow all this free stuff is cooooooool'

I'd say to protect those bands from that heist that the myspace link should be sent to the revenue office and it closed down asap if it's just a pit of corrupt crap, otherwise let them decide!

I think the Mods should put this to a vote :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

as a matter of interest - who is the promoter? I assume there's no problem in mentioning his/her name here?

There's a 'Paddy' mentioned on the Bebo page and I might know which Paddy this is but some of the posters here said they knew who it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Have to agree on the tax thing its definatly not ok for anyone to be dodging tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

I do think it is a bit of a scam, but then again a fool and his money are easily parted. The promoter is offering a service (albeit to the deluded and clueless).

There are a lot of not particularly good bands out there who labour under the impression that a lack of exposure is preventing them from making it big.

That only their family and friends come (semi) regularly to their gigs, and that nobody who isn't connected to the band in some way ever comes to see them twice, and that fundamentally they are scuppered by a lack of decent songs, these are all things that they have failed to realise (and probably never will).

As for ripping off children, maybe, but yeah if they get all their mates to come and then get to play in front of them in a "proper" music venue and everyone has a good time and they come away feeling positive about the whole thing then part of me says how bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

do you think anyone in 'fight like apes' grew up in a council house

something against FLA? you've mentioned them 2 or 3 times in less than favourable terms. know something we dont? if so please share.

and if you think the girl is fat, i shudder to think what you'd consider "normal" to be.

oh and, promoter scam boo-urns etc.

progsound wrote: »
    Have to agree on the tax thing its definatly not ok for anyone to be dodging tax.
    Interesting that a thread about a gig has ended up as a discussion on tax dodging. Talk about guilt by association :D

Seriously, have to be careful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

FLA ARE OK ( HEY THAT RHYMES ! )

but the blond majority are wayyy better

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=173654230

As far as I remember (and I'm open to correction on this), Weezer when they supported the Cranberries on a European tour a few years back actually made a profit through merchandise at the gigs.

As I don't know any Weezers I checked with a Cranberry and you're correct - Weezer did support them in Europe.

I was chatting about this thread in the real world today, that bitterly cold one out there. It's good to be back in here.

Someone said to me that you don't have to pay tax on music related ventures up to a sum of around 20 grand. That can't be right can it?
    Is he getting mixed up with the artist tax relief thing (instated by Haughey)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I was chatting about this thread in the real world today, that bitterly cold one out there. It's good to be back in here.

Someone said to me that you don't have to pay tax on music related ventures up to a sum of around 20 grand. That can't be right can it?

That dosnt sound right at all...
    hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

As I don't know any Weezers I checked with a Cranberry and you're correct - Weezer did support them in Europe.

yeah just checked with Rivers there, he said it was a real blast..

But yeah can any one shed a bit of light on the tax dealy with putting on gigs?
    Just curious..

I

I don't think so. As a rule Income is Income as far as the Taxman is concerned.

The Haughey thing was to keep local artists in the country and attract foreign ones in.

I recall Biffco who wrote and produced the Spice Girls , Kylie, Will Young etc were based in Windmill for years.

Donna Lewis ' I love you always forever'

Sting, Lisa Stansfield and Def Leppard all moved here during that era.

The deal was , as I understand, it was income derived from original works, not performance, that was Tax free.

Something Happens eventually got it as did Richie Kavanagh!

I'm open to correction on this, but those are the stories I heard at the time.

I don't think so. As a rule Income is Income as far as the Taxman is concerned.

The Haughey thing was to keep local artists in the country and attract foreign ones in.

I recall Biffco who wrote and produced the Spice Girls , Kylie, Will Young etc were based in Windmill for years.

Donna Lewis ' I love you always forever'

Sting, Lisa Stansfield and Def Leppard all moved here during that era.

The deal was , as I understand, it was income derived from original works, not performance, that was Tax free.

Something Happens eventually got it as did Richie Kavanagh!

I'm open to correction on this, but those are the stories I heard at the time.
    yup sure ya see this is it. one of the odd things about that Haughey fella was that he was right about the 'leave the artists alone, they are so valuable to this country that if they leave, we're fcuked'.

I think it was a lot to do with 'we can't have anymore internationally famous writers, playwrights, artists, etc in exile' after Joyce and all them buckos never came back.

Two of the people you mention in that list of people who moved here 'during that era', I can say for a fact (from the horse's mouth so to speak) did so because of our tax breaks. Well they liked it here, but when you think of how much money they saved by simply living here, it was a no brainer.

We're talking a lot of money here.

Two things you're relatively safe on here (but don't let the taxman come near you because even because they're wrong doesn't stop them causing you a nightmare) is gambling and music.

• Advertisement

ok so it wasn't something I dreamt up in my head then!

ultimate duo if ya ask me.

yup sure ya see this is it. one of the odd things about that Haughey fella was that he was right about the 'leave the artists alone, they are so valuable to this country that if they leave, we're fcuked'.

I think it was a lot to do with 'we can't have anymore internationally famous writers, playwrights, artists, etc in exile' after Joyce and all them buckos never came back.

Two of the people you mention in that list of people who moved here 'during that era', I can say for a fact (from the horse's mouth so to speak) did so because of our tax breaks. Well they liked it here, but when you think of how much money they saved by simply living here, it was a no brainer.

We're talking a lot of money here.

Two things you're relatively safe on here (but don't let the taxman come near you because even because they're wrong doesn't stop them causing you a nightmare) is gambling and music.

Of note too is that after the big bucks stopped coming in ........... they legged it again!

well i can tell you now, if all goes to plan in my career, i'll be on the first plane out of here before you can say 'warmer climate, cheaper booze'

http://www.theperformancelive.com/info.htm

I haven't seen one name of any bands that have paid to play.
    Funnily, the launch night was free in.

something against FLA? you've mentioned them 2 or 3 times in less than favourable terms. know something we dont? if so please share.

and if you think the girl is fat, i shudder to think what you'd consider "normal" to be.

oh and, promoter scam boo-urns etc.

My biggest gripe with 'Fight like Apes' -- is I actaully had to listen to them, and watch them preform. And then read write up's about them saying they're the hot new thing.

They don't have any songs. They have some very nice exspensive gear. But there's no magic to them. They're just smug little rich kids.

If i had lots of cash at my disposal,,I'd like a minikorg,,, they look really cool. I've only played around with one in music maker.

There's nothing morally superior about poor kids. But the way it works here, doors are slammed tightly shut to some people. And a bit too wide open to some others. 'Fight like Apes' get there good gigs and promotion, not because they're any good. If the pitch were more level,, they would've had to learn their chops properly,, and by the time they got to the point they're at now -- they'd be a good proposition for a night out -- or even have song cools songs worth listening to,,,again and again and again.

There are many people i know, who are not musicans, but for who music is their life. They work their **** jobs, day in day out, for a meagre material existence -- the function of which is to keep the familys, who produce the likes of 'fight like apes', in Caviar, cocaine and comfort. All my friends ask,, at the end of the day -- is the elites leave them one simple single pleasure -- it's all they ask -- they're willing to put up with all the other bull****, if they're spared just one precious space, where they no longer feel like slaves.

But,,, you should have seen the looks of horror and disbelief on there faces, when I showed them a few moments of 'Fat like Apes' on you tube.

(And there's no real reason for a popstar to be fat -- when there's perfectly good amphetamines available at good prices -- 15 year old boys just do not toss themselves off, running erotic fantasy scenarios of fat rock chicks through their heads -- it just doesn't happen. -- Amphetamine crystal has such a bitter taste -- but may take you where you need to go --- and maybe even might give you that special groove you need)

You could say I'm jealous...... But is it jealousy when a cotton pickin negreo,, resents the plantation owner,,,,,,,,,, and his fat daughter who thinks she's a popstar.

My biggest gripe with 'Fight like Apes' -- is I actaully had to listen to them, and watch them preform. And then read write up's about them saying they're the hot new thing.

They don't have any songs. They have some very nice exspensive gear. But there's no magic to them. They're just smug little rich kids.

If i had lots of cash at my disposal,,I'd like a minikorg,,, they look really cool. I've only played around with one in music maker.

There's nothing morally superior about poor kids. But the way it works here, doors are slammed tightly shut to some people. And a bit too wide open to some others. 'Fight like Apes' get there good gigs and promotion, not because they're any good. If the pitch were more level,, they would've had to learn their chops properly,, and by the time they got to the point they're at now -- they'd be a good proposition for a night out -- or even have song cools songs worth listening to,,,again and again and again.

There are many people i know, who are not musicans, but for who music is their life. They work their **** jobs, day in day out, for a meagre material existence -- the function of which is to keep the familys, who produce the likes of 'fight like apes', in Caviar, cocaine and comfort. All my friends ask,, at the end of the day -- is the elites leave them one simple single pleasure -- it's all they ask -- they're willing to put up with all the other bull****, if they're spared just one precious space, where they no longer feel like slaves.

But,,, you should have seen the looks of horror and disbelief on there faces, when I showed them a few moments of 'Fat like Apes' on you tube.

(And there's no real reason for a popstar to be fat -- when there's perfectly good amphetamines available at good prices -- 15 year old boys just do not toss themselves off, running erotic fantasy scenarios of fat rock chicks through their heads -- it just doesn't happen. -- Amphetamine crystal has such a bitter taste -- but may take you where you need to go --- and maybe even might give you that special groove you need)

You could say I'm jealous...... But is it jealousy when a cotton pickin negreo,, resents the plantation owner,,,,,,,,,, and his fat daughter who thinks she's a popstar.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

jeez , someone needs a hug !

ok, they may not be the saviours of rock n roll, but its just a band ,
    who cares ?

I wish my parents had a been rich so i could have been a muso 24 / 7 !

why get worked up about it -- just make music - if your good , it will come to pass.

I'll have what you're having. Seriously, such an utterly pointless rant, culminated by a nice racist conclusion.

To quote the rock bible:
    "On what day did the lord create krd and couldn't he have rested on that day?"

DaDumTish wrote: »
    if your good , it will come to pass.

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭iquinn

FancyMixedNuts.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Paging Dr. Freud ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement