Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

sei046 wrote: »
    Dav im completely behind you and have never disagreed with you on anything before.

That said,

Your looking at it wrong.
    To say thats not what summer camps is about is fairly naive. Of course its not but that cant be a reason to push it to the side! Your playing a dangerous game by saying "What are the chances" and " Parents dont care ". All it takes is for one kid to make some comment about ANYTHING and all hell will break loose.

Six years is all well and good but that means nothing if the **** hits the fan for some reason. Do you think the parents will care? If their kid hurts themselves for ANY reason or gets some notion in their head you are completely up **** creek.

Im only saying this because I know a bit about it, I wouldnt be posting if I wasnt interested in your expansion and seeing how it goes for you.

Your basing your opinions on "sure what are the chances" and "its grand sure i know the parents". Thats dodgy dodgy business.

What if the kid comes home into Slipknot ...or even the Blizzards, who'll get the blame then? You, that's who ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Its not "coming" from anywhere dav. Im not trying to get at you. We were just being the "what if" guys. I thought thats what you were posting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    What if the kid comes home into Slipknot ...or even the Blizzards, who'll get the blame then? You, that's who ...

Ha ha if the kids come home into either band I will be happy because as long as the kids are happy campers the parents are happy campers too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

dav nagle wrote: »
    Ok so lets throw it out there, who here has had an incident where they have been threatened to be sued or where a child has become seriously ill in their careers???????????????????????

Funny you ask.

About three years ago I was coaching at a tennis camp for kids. On the first day, in the first hour, a kid directly disobeyed me and ran into the net, fell over it and broker her arm so that it was at right angles (she fainted immediately when she saw it).

Everyone saw what happened, knew the kid was a bit of an idiot, and she went to the hospital, and we never saw her again.
    3 months later I got a letter from a legal firm on behalf of her parents stating they were intending to sue me for neglect.

Over 15 witnesses had to give statements about what happened. Detailed from every angle imaginable, and the parents dropped their case.
    It was a lot of hassle. They did full background checks on my coaching credentials ( and I mean really detailed checks), and all sorts of other things.
    I was covered only because I was formally qualified as a tennis coach. Certificates might mean nothing in the real world, but when legal arseholes, insurance arseholes and deluded nasty parents get involved, they're absolutely essential.

jtsuited wrote: »

About three years ago I was coaching at a tennis camp for kids. On the first day, in the first hour, a kid directly disobeyed me and ran into the net, fell over it and broker her arm so that it was at right angles (she fainted immediately when she saw it).

You know your too long in the studio when you nearly cry with laughter at that paragraph.

But on a more serious note, Thats exactly what im talking about.

You know your too long in the studio when you nearly cry with laughter at that paragraph.

But on a more serious note, Thats exactly what im talking about.

i know I'm laughing now at it. But it's probably the first time I've had even a smirk about the whole ordeal.

Although I did phrase it in quite a whimsical way.

Im sure if her parents had actually SEEN the kid run into the net and fall over leaving her leg at a ninety degree angle they would have laughed.

Its not "coming" from anywhere dav. Im not trying to get at you. We were just being the "what if" guys. I thought thats what you were posting for?

The post was originally posted for feedback in relation to starting my own company and the feedback has been exceptional, just look at the hits and replies, its been excellent. I can explain every little detail within each section of my business but thats not my intention.

I am in no way suggesting I know everything, I don't. I am with you guys all the way in fact, you are reminding me about the pit falls and I really do appreciate that. Where I got annoyed was when the 'if you are running a camp from your home studio without proper insurance bit started'. This is bull**** speculation on the posters behalf when I have already stated I ran the camp with full insurance on the kids from a community centre.

The other half of my anger comes when the certificate thing gets thrown out there where in the real world it doesn't ever come up. It may be nice to have but it never comes up in the real world. Thats in 6 years of my experience in teaching. I know you are not telling me how to teach the 'd' chord to a child, I know that.

The children suing you thing is also a hypothetical scenario that is unlikely to happen, people are posting the matter as if it is very likely to happen. It is not very likely.

Finally. I am not taking things lightly in any way and I can see how if you read my posts it may seem like a brush off but it's not, I take offense to anyone telling me I am taking things lightly. I have played by the rules, paid for my insurance in the past and the worst thing to ever happen during one of my camps was when a child got stung by a bee, I rang her mother, she came and collected her for the day and it was sorted.

Dav thats dead on. Now did you read Jts post?

Finally. I am not taking things lightly in any way and I can see how if you read my posts it may seem like a brush off but it's not, I take offense to anyone telling me I am taking things lightly. I have played by the rules, paid for my insurance in the past and the worst thing to ever happen during one of my camps was when a child got stung by a bee, I rang her mother, she came and collected her for the day and it was sorted.

Dav, if you're insured and all that, don't worry about all that craic.

Tell you what though, when the accident happened at my camp I had been coaching for a long time. I had never seen anything like it in all my years. I had never heard of anything like it.

So make sure you are properly insured all the time. Because long term, it's far less hassle.

• Advertisement

Im sure if her parents had actually SEEN the kid run into the net and fall over leaving her leg at a ninety degree angle they would have laughed.
    it was her arm ya eejit.
    Sei please do not operate heavy machinery tonight.

Dav thats dead on. Now did you read Jts post?

Yes I did and in all fairness man you do have a point within the sports realm. There is a difference between sports and extra curricular activity and sitting on a seat playing a wooden instrument, a huge difference. The chances of injury within sport is greatly multiplied due to the fact that in this case

1. the kids are running around the place
    2. the kids are swinging bats (which is clearly dangerous)

Now if my students were running around there would be an immediate eyeball and shout to STOP.

If they were swinging guitars around I would have them sent home if it didn't cease immediately.

Ok! dodgy.

Dav, if you're insured and all that, don't worry about all that craic.

Tell you what though, when the accident happened at my camp I had been coaching for a long time. I had never seen anything like it in all my years. I had never heard of anything like it.

So make sure you are properly insured all the time. Because long term, it's far less hassle.

Thats dead on, you see I am only wound up because of that post earlier on about insurance like I was some kind of dodgy knacker.

Sei that was bloody funny!!!

i've just woken up housemates laughing at that!!!:pac::pac:

Ok! dodgy.

Man what the **** are you on? :) You crazy cat

I had to remove it. I think i may have overstepped a boundary there! I had to though

dodgy knacker.

You can get insured against those ...

Jt man your really going to have to stop quoting me!

• Advertisement

I had to remove it. I think i may have overstepped a boundary there! I had to though

Lol! You better not be running anything tonight especially not a summer camp because you are turning into a dark sicko!!!!!! lol:D:D Thats was sick man...

i've just woken up housemates laughing at that!!!:pac::pac:

I just have never seen a serious business to suit a conversation so well.

if there's three things I've learnt from this thread it's:

1. Dav is really makin a go of it, and seems headstrong (in a good way) enough to make it work.

2. Dav knows absolutely nothing about tennis (it's not played with bats, or any flying creature of any kind).

3. Sei is going to hell. And probably me too for laughing at the tasteless (but unfortunately removed) picture.

You can get insured against those ...

Shouldnt you be asleep?

Jt man your really going to have to stop quoting me!

I'm trying to stop. honestly, i am.

ok i admit it, I have got a problem. But rehab is for quitters.

Shouldnt you be asleep?

I got woken up by Dav's very un PC comment ....

• Advertisement

That must have touched a nerve with you alright paul..........

.....You know....with offaly like...

I got woken up by Dav's very un PC comment ....

Thats because I am a natural sizzle, I generate sparks, they fly everywhere, but I know how to land a bird and all its crew safely!

if there's three things I've learnt from this thread it's:

1. Dav is really makin a go of it, and seems headstrong (in a good way) enough to make it work.

2. Dav knows absolutely nothing about tennis (it's not played with bats, or any flying creature of any kind).

3. Sei is going to hell. And probably me too for laughing at the tasteless (but unfortunately removed) picture.

Nice one man and yes I know nothing about tennis other than its a lightning quick game where 2 people try to smash a ball at around 90mph at each-other and win I think????

That must have touched a nerve with you alright paul..........

.....You know....with offaly like...

Actually, word is, the only other Brewers in Offaly are settled Traveling Folk ...

2 people, balls flying around at 90mph trying to hit each other?

You saw my sex tape so.

• Advertisement

Actually, word is, the only other Brewers in Offaly are settled Traveling Folk ...

Settled traveling foke? As in they do travel but they are settled in the caravan as it travels?

Now i look like a bollix

2 people, balls flying around at 90mph trying to hit each other?

You saw my sex tape so.

Yeah you have a huge racket:)

Nice one man and yes I know nothing about tennis other than its a lightning quick game where 2 people try to smash a ball at around 90mph at each-other and win I think????
    You sound like the perfect candidate for my private tennis tuition. It's award nominated.

Have you ever tried swinging with a bat?

They always pick gingers

Now i look like a bollix

Look?

Have you ever tried swinging with a bat?

They always pick gingers

I have had 3 years with a ginger so yes I have been swinging my bat for the last 3 years!

Look boss!

I have had 3 years with a ginger so yes I have been swinging my bat for the last 3 years!

ah so you are a pikey!

ah no that's a bit mean.

My beard is ginger does that mean bats will fly into it?

I retract that

kirsten_dunst1.jpg

• Advertisement

I retract that

kirsten_dunst1.jpg

rank rank rank rank rank.

she is bloody rank.

I retract that

kirsten_dunst1.jpg

Where did you find this picture of my future wife?? How dare you! GOD SHE IS AMAZING, WISH I COULD SHOW HER ME BAT!

Nope, Shes not like...hot... But she has got that whole cute thing going.

I would.

Nope, Shes not like...hot... But she has got that whole cute thing going.

I would.

I would be her ball boy anyday!!! she is so hot!!! If I had still had a girlfriend I would defo do the dirt on her for that !

ah yeah i still would. but i wouldn't boast about it.

WUDJA COME ERE TO ME!

kirsten_dunst_36.jpg

I would be her ball boy anyday!!!
    look dav if a girl has balls she's not a girl. no matter how ginger her hair is.

Ye so...like mics and sh*t........

Thread%20Hijacked.JPG

• Advertisement

WUDJA COME ERE TO ME!

kirsten_dunst_36.jpg

I have been so busy typing the last week I have forgotten that creatures like this roam the earth!

Advertisement