Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Collaboration

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Hennessjon
    Yeah I went to upload those files with the greatest of intentions last night
    but found myself trying to piece together a mix from all the parts put up by you guys so far. Not an easy task, you know how it is, some bits you love some you don't but am enjoying it.
    If I get finished with a verse and chorus, I might put that up too to show which way I'm heading with my mix.
    Will try to get those files up tonight.
    Cheers
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I'll def be looking to do some mixing on the Jabel track next week, so would be great to hear what other folks have done

We're finalising them mixes on 10 of our own songs at the minute (we ran slightly over on the "record 10 songs in Feb" thing but almost done now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I'll def be looking to do some mixing on the Jabel track next week, so would be great to hear what other folks have done

We're finalising them mixes on 10 of our own songs at the minute (we ran slightly over on the "record 10 songs in Feb" thing but almost done now).

yeah agree this ones getting high round hereabouts :-)

I will post a final mix for this by next friday any new files wont be included after the weekend of course i mean in my version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I've a mix up now. I had great fun doing it :D

I thought the chorus needed a bit more of a kick so I popped some synth in there, I uploaded that too if anyone wants to use it.

Hey Eoin
    You've done a mighty fine job there, it's great stuff.
    You're the first one out of the blocks so to speak and i can't
    wait to hear what the others' take on the song will be.
    Cheers
    J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Don't be alarmed. I just stuck up a dancy (1980s) version of Rage. We have to cater for all markets:D

Loved the vocals at the end of Eoins mix.

Should we post up what Daw and stuff we used on the tracks?

Don't be alarmed. I just stuck up a dancy (1980s) version of Rage. We have to cater for all markets:D

Loved the vocals at the end of Eoins mix.

Should we post up what Daw and stuff we used on the tracks?

thats what I love and is great about collaborations the diversity you get

two versions already :-)

i think it would be good to identify if you used the files uploaded and what process used to get the "desired" sound not too bothered about what daw is used

I used the second bass track I put up along with Jabels fingerpicking guitar.

Used a stock Logic dance loop.

Chopped up Jabels vocals.

I gated the bass using the drum beat to trigger it.

Used automation to create the wierd noises between the sections by sending either drum or picked guitar off to a bus with delay designer on it.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination:D but It was good fun messing with a dance beat thing. Took me away from my own stuff for a couple of hours.

Looking forward to hearing the operatic version and then the heavy metal version.

I used the second bass track I put up along with Jabels fingerpicking guitar.

Used a stock Logic dance loop.

Chopped up Jabels vocals.

I gated the bass using the drum beat to trigger it.

Used automation to create the wierd noises between the sections by sending either drum or picked guitar off to a bus with delay designer on it.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination:D but It was good fun messing with a dance beat thing. Took me away from my own stuff for a couple of hours.

Looking forward to hearing the operatic version and then the heavy metal version.

ok thx

wonder where mine will end up

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Just a suggestion - put the finished mixes on SoundCloud so we can all hear.

Great to hear all the mixes... :)

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Just a suggestion - put the finished mixes on SoundCloud so we can all hear.

Great to hear all the mixes... :)

Send Jabel a PM and he'll invite you to join dropbox. It's a dead handy tool to have anyway.

Lot's of pros use it in the industry. It's the future <cue music from the twilight zone>

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Send Jabel a PM and he'll invite you to join dropbox. It's a dead handy tool to have anyway.

Lot's of pros use it in the industry. It's the future <cue music from the twilight zone>

I am already a dropboxxer!

I'll send a PM though... just thought you guys should showcase the hard work is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Somebody probably has already said this but i skipped right to the end but here's and idea

Lets say I have a song with guitar and vocals

I send them two tracks to somebody who says they'll either a) Add more tracks to it to enhance it and/or b) Will mix and master it out of the goodness of their heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

NiallMH wrote: »
    Somebody probably has already said this but i skipped right to the end but here's and idea

Lets say I have a song with guitar and vocals

I send them two tracks to somebody who says they'll either a) Add more tracks to it to enhance it and/or b) Will mix and master it out of the goodness of their heart!

I'd be happy to do bass for anyone, it works best though if you get someone to do drums first.

I really enjoyed that Rocksham, for some reason it made me think of Cameo :D.

I used reaper and all the nice light built-in stuff for compression and eq. I'm having fun with the free for a year Waves GTR Solo, I used it on almost everything. It worked for filling out the bass sound, worked lovely on hennos raw guitar and I used it to beef up the drums. Its great to have such a high quality drum sound so you can actually do something like that and it doesnt turn to complete crap, I'm not used to that :D

The vocal stuff at the end is all Jabels, I used compressed, reverbed etc.

eoin5 wrote: »
    I'd be happy to do bass for anyone, it works best though if you get someone to do drums first.

I really enjoyed that Rocksham, for some reason it made me think of Cameo :D.

I used reaper and all the nice light built-in stuff for compression and eq. I'm having fun with the free for a year Waves GTR Solo, I used it on almost everything. It worked for filling out the bass sound, worked lovely on hennos raw guitar and I used it to beef up the drums. Its great to have such a high quality drum sound so you can actually do something like that and it doesnt turn to complete crap, I'm not used to that :D

The vocal stuff at the end is all Jabels, I used compressed, reverbed etc.

Yeah those cod pieces are a killer http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01387/Codpiece_1387899c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturecritics/tomhoran/5189165/Cameo-at-the-IndigO2-review.html&h=288&w=460&sz=22&tbnid=7VsKMwL7PnTa5M:&tbnh=80&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcameo%2Bthe%2Bband&usg=__B7tiIzVy5D2ZQgOilZPs1bal1WY=&ei=K2adS-HUMdSRjAekjZGPDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=9&ct=image&ved=0CCIQ9QEwCA

Glad you enjoyed it.

Some great deals on Stephen Slate Drums at audiomidi.com 20 dollars for top quality drums. I don't know if it works in Reaper though, it probably does.

Talk about leftfield Rock
    Where did that come from?
    Got to say I didn't see that coming
    enjoyed it immensely though
    Cheers
    J

Jabel wrote: »
    Talk about leftfield Rock
    Where did that come from?
    Got to say I didn't see that coming
    enjoyed it immensely though
    Cheers
    J

Thanks J.

Laziness was the key motivator. I didn't have the time to do the song justice so I went the loop route.

Just Uploading the henno version should be regarded as an arrangement rather than pro mix

if you want a listen i will post as a download as well with jabels permission

henessjon wrote: »
    Just Uploading the henno version should be regarded as an arrangement rather than pro mix

if you want a listen i will post as a download as well with jabels permission

Just had a listen Henno, very punchy and clean.

What did you use/do?

Cheers

Rock.

Nice work Henno,
    especially like the pared back second verse.
    Been very lax doing my own version but will
    get it done... eventually
    Was surprised nobody had a go at vocals.
    Cheers
    J

• Advertisement

Jabel wrote: »
    Nice work Henno,
    especially like the pared back second verse.
    Been very lax doing my own version but will
    get it done... eventually
    Was surprised nobody had a go at vocals.
    Cheers
    J

i will do vocals but ive raging head cold and the pun was intended

I didnt do much I was tied cos the vocal was not separated out from the guitar. i chopped a lot eoin gtr, added some bassfills from RSR bass, all of jabels whole track and yodas drums minus some funky percussion.

i use protool le v8- on my guitar, i used guitar rig 3 and messed about till i found something clicked, i forced myself to use something from all contributions but i plan a version of vocals and keys... and more selective choices

and yes i have lots of free time to mess about with it untill my own inspiration flows :-)

henessjon wrote: »
    i will do vocals but ive raging head cold and the pun was intended

I didnt do much I was tied cos the vocal was not separated out from the guitar. i chopped a lot eoin gtr, added some bassfills from RSR bass, all of jabels whole track and yodas drums minus some funky percussion.

i use protool le v8- on my guitar, i used guitar rig 3 and messed about till i found something clicked, i forced myself to use something from all contributions but i plan a version of vocals and keys... and more selective choices

and yes i have lots of free time to mess about with it untill my own inspiration flows :-)

I might try filling out my dance version with some synth and mad guitar. No vocals though, I can't sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Where can we hear this stuff??

NiallMH wrote: »
    Where can we hear this stuff??

You have to send Jabel a PM, he will then invite you to join his Dropbox account.

Advertisement