Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Collaboration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I just checked the dropbox... your mp3 is there, but only the intro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I just checked the dropbox... your mp3 is there, but only the intro?

very user friendly then "dropbox"

thx for letting me know..

I will have to do the whole song then :-) RSR bass is only that long ... are we going to make choices or we all going it alone using the stuff thats uploaded...

I dunno tbh... I thought the idea was that folks were free to record whatever music they fancied & just leave all the raw files up there.... then anybody can pick & choose whatever they want to develop their own mixes/arrangements.

Don't think I'll have time to work on a full mix myself, but was happy to post up some drums/perc for people to use. I'd be interested to hear how other people process the raw drums tracks just to see how they sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I think that's the plan Yoda. The more variation we get the more interesting and different the final mixes should be.

Nice drums by the way.

Nice work Henno.

I also like Jabel's guitar picking part.

Ah... Mr Brewer - I see you've been added to the dropbox! Excellent.... I'm really looking forward to your contributions.... no doubt you'll you push the artistic boundaries to create relevant art that inspires all of us! :D

Failing that, sure I'll be happy if you can share any nuggets on how to improve my drum sound & get them to really work well in a mix ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

As soon as the mixes start appearing I might have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ah... Mr Brewer - I see you've been added to the dropbox! Excellent.... I'm really looking forward to your contributions.... no doubt you'll you push the artistic boundaries to create relevant art that inspires all of us! :D

Failing that, sure I'll be happy if you can share any nuggets on how to improve my drum sound & get them to really work well in a mix ;)

Yes, expect nothing but clear concise observations ....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Hey guys
    I had a few more requests to join this collaboration, so for anyone
    else looking to join in you need to PM me with an email address
    and I'll add you to the shared folder.
    The stuff put up so far is cool, you can hear peoples influences
    already shaping how they perceive the song.
    Hennessjon, was there a problem with your file, it stops during 1st verse
    and sounds full of reverb?
    Keep em coming...
    J

Jabel wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I had a few more requests to join this collaboration, so for anyone
    else looking to join in you need to PM me with an email address
    and I'll add you to the shared folder.
    The stuff put up so far is cool, you can hear peoples influences
    already shaping how they perceive the song.
    Hennessjon, was there a problem with your file, it stops during 1st verse
    and sounds full of reverb?
    Keep em coming...
    J

for me it was an upload test never used dropbox before i still cant see who is involved in the project (only who is posting)

So I will finish the "sketch work " and post raw files later by the weekend

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Yes, expect nothing but clear concise observations ....:rolleyes:

The voice (or is that vice) of reason:D

• Advertisement

Just threw up (sic) a tiny bit of piano. May not suit but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Theres bass up there now. Its just unprocessed DI. Its a jazz fretless with flatwounds with everything up full on neck pickup. Its the best I can do in my hungover state, fizzy good make feel nice...

I might put up some more next week.

eoin5 wrote: »
    Theres bass up there now. Its just unprocessed DI. Its a jazz fretless with flatwounds with everything up full on neck pickup. Its the best I can do in my hungover state, fizzy good make feel nice...

I might put up some more next week.

some nice bass playing there Eoin5.

Nice job Eoin... you should play hungover more often.

So has anybody got a mix they'd like to post up at this stage? If not, is there anybody else planning to track more music?

Nice job Eoin... you should play hungover more often.

So has anybody got a mix they'd like to post up at this stage? If not, is there anybody else planning to track more music?

nope,,,

Love eoiins bass too but how you lining up the files i don know if we got same start times ? what are you guys doing about this, at the beginning I put all the wavs in my daw and then added a few bars at the beginning... now we all got different lengths and i dont know where your start times are..

sure i think it sounds like its in right place but later in file dos'nt

ok i updated where i am going with this i promise will put my raw files up when done with the tracking

i apologise its my way of working i think is sorted out the timings different files

I'm the last person qualified to give technical advice, but the best approach is to bounce whatever you play/sing right from the start of the original session. That means even if you just record 20 secs of a guitar solo, bounce your solo from the very start of the track – even if it means 1 min 45 sec of silence before your 20 secs of guitar Nirvana. That way, we all just drop your solo track at the start of our session & it automatically kicks in where it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

I'm the last person qualified to give technical advice, but the best approach is to bounce whatever you play/sing right from the start of the original session. That means even if you just record 20 secs of a guitar solo, bounce your solo from the very start of the track – even if it means 1 min 45 sec of silence before your 20 secs of guitar Nirvana. That way, we all just drop your solo track at the start of our session & it automatically kicks in where it should.

This is the fool proof method of doing it. Good advice.:D

woodsdenis wrote: »
    This is the fool proof method of doing it. Good advice.:D

I think i got that.. but in particular rockshamrover files

for example the piano where do intend this loop to be placed? I know where I'd put it....

its nice to hear collabor's intended use

henessjon wrote: »
    I think i got that.. but in particular rockshamrover files

for example the piano where do intend this loop to be placed? I know where I'd put it....

its nice to hear collabor's intended use

Well, I was conscious of the amount of space being taken up on the Dropbox account so I just put up a small loop.

You can use this wherever it feels right to you or not at all.

I will stick up a short clip of how I am using it on dropbox.

• Advertisement

I just had a listen there to the piano. The first time it plays is spot on but it's slightly out of time on the second pass.

I tried to have a bash at putting a mix together this morning, but it looks like only the drums & bass actually run the full length of Jabel's original guide track (which is what I tracked the drums against).

From what I could see, most (all?) of the other instruments are just very short wav files. Fair enough for those who want to loop/build their version of the song from scratch, but would be great to have them all bounced from the start so we they slot into their intended position. After that, folks can chop & change if they want, but at least there's a good starting point.

I tried to have a bash at putting a mix together this morning, but it looks like only the drums & bass actually run the full length of Jabel's original guide track (which is what I tracked the drums against).

From what I could see, most (all?) of the other instruments are just very short wav files. Fair enough for those who want to loop/build their version of the song from scratch, but would be great to have them all bounced from the start so we they slot into their intended position. After that, folks can chop & change if they want, but at least there's a good starting point.

thats where i was at yesterday

I will have full length trax later this week,,, I wll post a zip file all trax bounced same start time

Some overdrive guitar up now. Feel free to chop bits out, move them around and whatever. Thanks for the comments on the bass.

just uploading gtr raw - feel free to use and abuse ... also a sync trak to place it correctly

wil try some small backing vox ad libs,, maybe a bit keys ..... later

henessjon wrote: »
    just uploading gtr raw - feel free to use and abuse ... also a sync trak to place it correctly

wil try some small backing vox ad libs,, maybe a bit keys ..... later

Love the effect you've going on there. You deleted my track though, you can restore them no problem but when people check out the folder you wont be able to see them. I think its when you do something on your dropbox folder it does it for everyone. Maybe were better off just uploading and downloading from the online backup.

eoin5 wrote: »
    Love the effect you've going on there. You deleted my track though, you can restore them no problem but when people check out the folder you wont be able to see them. I think its when you do something on your dropbox folder it does it for everyone. Maybe were better off just uploading and downloading from the online backup.

ooooooops yes i recall i moved it from my dropbox folder to desktop sorry peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Hey guys,
    Nice input on the song, so just to confuse matters further
    I'm going to put up a few of my own files:
    some guitar, bass, alternative chorus vocals and piano.
    Again use, dump, embellish, re-record/interpret or whatever.
    Yoda, I did notice a slight timing issue just after the second chorus,
    or maybe it's just the fill, just sounds a bit off but nice work throughout.
    Cheers
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i cant seem to get a listen to this at all.

can someone upload it to zshare or something,when i click the link it says there is no files there

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    i cant seem to get a listen to this at all.

can someone upload it to zshare or something,when i click the link it says there is no files there

you gotta PM jabel he will send an invite....

Jabel i dont see any updated files the extras you mention?

Advertisement