Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

lateron wrote: »
    Hi Punklion, is the process

1.complete form online
    2 Verbal/ Numerical Reasoning Tests unsupervised
    3 Verbal/ Numerical Reasoning Tests supervised
    4 interview

Thanks

That isn't the process anymore.

1.Form Online
    2. Situational Test Online
    3. Verbal/Numerical Reasoning Supervised + Etray
    4. Interview

The above is what was done for the most recent Dublin based EO comp, with the unsupervised numerical/verbal being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

ESMITH29 wrote: »

1.Form Online
    4. Interview

The above is what was done for the most recent Dublin based EO comp, with the unsupervised numerical/verbal being removed.

Thank you for that,

Can I ask what a situational test involves?
    and for Verbal/Reasoning tests which test provider is used.
    I hope you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

ESMITH29 wrote: »

1.Form Online
    4. Interview

Thank you for that,

Can I ask what a situational test involves?
    and for Verbal/Reasoning tests which test provider is used.
    I hope you don't mind me asking.

In addition, how long is given for the situational test and for Etray? Any tips for completing these??

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

In addition, how long is given for the situational test and for Etray? Any tips for completing these??

I just did them last week for the Dublin campaign.

Verbal reasoning 30 minutes
    Numerical reasoning 30 minutes
    E Tray 1 hour 20 mintues

We started at 1:30 and with a break in between, practice for a few minutes before each test etc... we finished at 4:30.
    The whole thing took 3 hours total but bear in mind you need to be there approximately 15 minutes before the start of the tests to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I've just completed the PDF and online form. I'm sure when I did the CO application it was a short online form and no detailed PDF application form was needed until the interview stage. Good job I had today off, it took ages as I've had to fill in about 15 jobs since the early 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Punklion

Hi Punklion, is the process

1.complete form online
    2 Verbal/ Numerical Reasoning Tests unsupervised
    3 Verbal/ Numerical Reasoning Tests supervised
    4 interview

Thanks

Yes that is the process. I first applied for Dublin competition in July 2018. Unsupervised tests in early Sept, supervised tests October, interview December, placed on panel in late December. I am also applying for this competition as I would prefer to be closer to home.

Punklion wrote: »
    Yes that is the process. I first applied for Dublin competition in July 2018. Unsupervised tests in early Sept, supervised tests October, interview December, placed on panel in late December. I am also applying for this competition as I would prefer to be closer to home.

Are you internal or external?
    Did you have to do Etray?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corcraa

Does anybody have any advice as to what is needed in the supplementary information section?
    Should I use the STAR method and outline my competencies or would I be better off saving that for interview?
    Should I mention that I am on the panel for CO or would that be a bad move?

Thanks in advance for any responses or advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

corcraa wrote: »
    Does anybody have any advice as to what is needed in the supplementary information section?
    Should I use the STAR method and outline my competencies or would I be better off saving that for interview?

Use star.
    Don't mention being on the panel. It makes no difference.
    They only interview you on what's on the form. You can mention it at interview if you are appointed to the CO position

corcraa wrote: »

I wouldn't use STAR (i'd save that for interview) but you could give a one or two liner for each competence.

People Management
    - I current work in a team of 6
    - Coach for local GAA / soccer team, etc.

Particularly focus on your work experience or education so interpersonal skills - tell them which job(s) you used that competency

This is also helpful because it gives you a starting point when your preparing answers for interview (using STAR)

Not that its a not bad move but, I wouldn't note that your on the CO panel as its not relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I wouldn't use STAR (i'd save that for interview) but you could give a one or two liner for each competence.

People Management

Particularly focus on your work experience or education so interpersonal skills - tell them which job(s) you used that competency

This is also helpful because it gives you a starting point when your preparing answers for interview (using STAR)

Not that its a not bad move but, I wouldn't note that your on the CO panel as its not relevant.

Is it crucial to fill in the additional info box in the application ? My wife applied but didn’t know if it was necessary so we left in blank and assumed competencies etc would be brought up further in the process . Far as I can remember it doesn’t give much guidance in that section ? Thanks in advance

Daz_ wrote: »

People Management

Is it crucial to fill in the additional info box in the application ? My wife applied but didn’t know if it was necessary so we left in blank and assumed competencies etc would be brought up further in the process . Far as I can remember it doesn’t give much guidance in that section ? Thanks in advance

No its not crucial.

In theory PAS can use shortlisting as part of the selection process so its handy to through in a few one lines especially if its not 100% clear where you demonstrated the competencies.

I personally never held a supervisory/ management job title so i take the opportunity to highlight where my people management comes from.

But if you didn't put anything in, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The main thing is to focus on the unsupervised test next week.

I just used the supplementary section to write about a few gaps in my working life as it's hard to do it in the other more rigid work history section. I did this in the CO form last year and passed. I waited for the interview to use the STAR system.

I was wondering if the interviews, if I get to that stage, are held in the PAS building in Jervis Street, Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

labrik wrote: »
    I was wondering if the interviews, if I get to that stage, are held in the PAS building in Jervis Street, Dublin?

Almost certainly yes. Has been the case for all the recent general service competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Almost certainly yes. Has been the case for all the recent general service competitions.
    I did my co interview in limerick back in 2015 but everything I've done since had been at the pas office in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blackplug

I know these campaigns can be quite drawn out so offers of employment would be a long way off yet but would it be possible to decline your first location preference and ask to be considered for your second choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Blackplug wrote: »
    I know these campaigns can be quite drawn out so offers of employment would be a long way off yet but would it be possible to decline your first location preference and ask to be considered for your second choice?

You can turn down your first and wait for your second, I would just be mindful that there is no guarantee that an offer will come from your second. Its dependent on your OOM and the number of vacancies available in your second choice county. Some counties will exhaust their panels whilst others will expire with a significant number left without being placed.

Once you are on the panel it might be worth looking at the 2016 thread and see how many were taken in in your chosen locations and how you stand relative to that

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

does any one recommend doing the preparation course?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Breezer25

does any one recommend doing the preparation course?

What preparation course?

I did the Dublin only EO exams. I just did the practice tests they sent and a few free one's online.

If you mean the practice tests they send then yes I would to them especially for the etray exercise as you will become familiar with the layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Breezer25 wrote: »
    What preparation course?

I did the Dublin only EO exams. I just did the practice tests they sent and a few free one's online.

If you mean the practice tests they send then yes I would to them especially for the etray exercise as you will become familiar with the layout.

Hi Breeder25
    If you don't mind me asking you. Who is the provider of the numerical and verbal reasoning tests? Is it SHL or CUT E. I would like to start practicing them. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kerry gold

Hi Breeder25
    If you don't mind me asking you. Who is the provider of the numerical and verbal reasoning tests? Is it SHL or CUT E. I would like to start practicing them. Thank you

Hi all, would there be any advantage doing the Kilroys College EO Entrance exam course?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

Kerry gold

that is the preparation course I was looking at from kilroys college?

It is 100 euro but I wonder is it worth it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Kerry gold wrote: »
    Hi all, would there be any advantage doing the Kilroys College EO Entrance exam course?

You can get decent ones online. Any HEO/EO I work with used these:

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/about

For free online ones:
    www.graduatesfirst.com
    https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/e-tray-exercise.html

I've never heard of anyone doing a course in Kilroys College - id imagine its just a money making thing tbh
    Plenty online to give you a jist of the layout and then just make sure to practice the ones PAS will send out

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Kerry gold

that is the preparation course I was looking at from kilroys college?

It is 100 euro but I wonder is it worth it?

Spend in on joptestprep.co.uk. Far better value. And hundreds of sample tests available. I found the situational judgement examples and explanations to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Does anyone have the date for when the online assessments open? I remember it being in the booklet but didn't download it

Nvm found it, it's open next Wednesday

Does anyone have the date for when the online assessments open? I remember it being in the booklet but didn't download it

Nvm found it, it's open next Wednesday

You should alway download a copy of the information booklet, these campaigns are such a long process you (literally) never know when you might need it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallydolly40

Is the first stage of this just an assessment questionaire on wednesday i.e no tests yet.

I think its based on results of this questionaire that you get invited to do the online tests. That could have changed.

Edit ****I checked my messages from 2016 EO and they send you a link to do the appitiude tests about 2 weeks later and give you results of all 3 together and a nationwide score. So performance in questionaire isnt based on doing the test but it must count for something in overall score.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

If they're doing this test like they did 2018 Dublin it's going to be different.

It was personality and management scenarios online as stage 1 then stage 2 is verbal, numerical and e tray. Stage 3 is just an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Have people received the stage one online questionnaire yet ? It says link to be sent by the 6th ..

Advertisement