Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wow. But really, “the famous white jersey”!?

Seriously though, that is one hell of an upgrade on Nakawara. And was kept very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Whoever failed Nakarawa's medical should be given a promotion. That is an incredible upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well we didn't see this coming!

He's no spring chicken, but he is still a massive upgrade on our back row. It will be huge for someone like David McCann as well to learn from him.

Good work by Bryn and company.

• Administrators Posts: 53,428 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well glaze my nipples and call me Rita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Without the doom and gloom, this wait till he arrives fit!

Ps how different our pack looks now with addition of Vermeulen and Kearny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Feck me, that's some signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jesus, that's real a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Really good signing for Ulster. Not great for the URC. South African sides haemorrhaging players already. Hopefully he stays fit.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if they can get 2 good injury free seasons out of him he could be the difference between silverware and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rita! Glazed!

If Mcgrath can get fit again. I do not begrudge Dan having to chose forwards week in week out.

For once, bar loose head we actually have the resources to properly rotate and give younger players game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That is an absolutely world class signing, congrats Ulster folks. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Reasonably pleased with that.

This. There's clearly a concerted effort to bring in players that our young bucks can learn from. And will allow us more leeway to give McCann etc more starts, alongside Duane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm a big Nick Timoney fan. I think he's one of the most underrated players in Ireland.

Could he play 7 now? Like he did for Ireland in the Summer.

Going to be some serious combination dilemmas for Dan going forward.

• Advertisement

Duane turned down big money offers from Japan and England to join Ulster. Our SA representatives - Pienaar, Muller - keep giving to Ulster from the other side of the globe.

Ulster Rugby team to play Munster, Development Interprovincial game, Saturday 18 September at IRFU High Performance Centre (4.00pm):

(15-9): Shea O’Brien, Conor Rankin, Ross Taylor(u19), Ben Carson(u20), Conor McKee, James Humphreys, Lewis Finlay;

(1-8): Callum Reid, James McCormick(u20), Joe Mawhinney(u20), Harry Sheridan (Capt), Adam McNamee(u20), Lorcan McLoughlin(u20), Reuben Crothers(u20), David McCann.

Replacements: Josh Hanlon, Scott Wilson, Ryan McMahon, Paddy Browne(u19), Jack Milton(u20), Ross McKay(u19), James McNabney(u19), Zac Ward, Jude Postlethwaite(u20)

Good to see McNabney there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Great news on Duane signing. If Ulster mind him carefully, he can play for another 2-3 seasons easily.

The Ulster depth chart: A World Cup winner and the thrilling back three

https://the42.ie/5551551

Good read.

Vermeulan's signing has transformed the look of our pack.

The options in the back 5 is very exciting.

Some players I'm interested in this season...

James Hume - Obviously he is quite established now, but in Ireland terms I reckon he can jump Farrell and become the 4th Irish centre. Need to see his kicking game, but he has great feet, he is quick and his passing game is exceptional.

David McCann - Let's see him secure a spot in the first choice matchday 23. He has looked impressive in pre season. Carries well and has a great skillet.

Ethan McIlroy - I think he could be a bit of a Rolls Royce in the back three wherever he plays. He might surprise a few this season. Again he has beem excellent in pre season. Like a lot of these guys he has lovely hands.

Callum Reid - He has had a taste of pro rugby, now let's see his scrummaging develop. If it does and you consider his play around the park then he could ve very good.

Bradley Roberts - Fast becoming a cult hero. He's actually a quality rugby player. I don't know what his ceiling is, he remains a bit unknown, but every time he takes the field for Ulster he just stands out. Accurate darts and dynamic around the park.

Finally..

Nick Timoney - This guy keeps surprising me. Hopefully his nose isn't put out of joint by Vermuelen's arrival. He keeps surpassing my expectations and he is still young enough to get better. He has bulked up while retaining his pace. I think he misses the odd first up tackle, if he can sort that out then he becomes even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'd agree with all of that. I'd add Stewart Moore to my list - I rated him higher than Hume coming through but he's had a rough time with injuries and it's hard to deny there's an obvious gap between the two right now. With Marshall out and McCloskey and Hume potentially away with Ireland, he'll have all the game time he needs to improve.

I'd definitely want McCann to start pushing for a starting place later this year. He may only be 21 but the players ahead of him aren't exactly stand-outs, and I know players like Coombes come through at different rates, but quite frankly he was competing against much better players.

To a lesser extent I'd want to see if Treadwell can win his place ahead of O'Connor. AOC plays his heart out, but Treadwell's best games are better than his imo and he adds more to the pack around the park.

Two names I would've had on the list if not for injury are Izzy and Tom Stewart. Bradley Roberts had now emerged which will add another hurdle to Stewart coming back from injury and he's playing too well not to keep playing. Izzy's injury came at the wrong time, he was really adding a bit of physicality that we needed and his lineout didn't look bad for someone who's barely played the position. But as he said himself, he's barely played and he needs to play as much as possible to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Be interesting to see the approach Ulster take to Vermullen.

After coming back from an injury straight into the lions / Rugby Championship it might be prudent to give him some time off early in the season so he is hitting form later in the season.

Cant wait to see him in person, his defensive organisation skills for SA are a joy to watch. His reading of the game is top notch, anyone who thinks he is just a big unit to carry ball is going to completely underestimate his influence on the field.

Only saw the first half. Did he go off injured? May have been an HIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I had to go, only watched first half as well

• Advertisement

It really is amazing how 2 signings can boost the moral of the fans! Our pack is slowly building.

Forwards

• Loosehead - Only area of concern short term, with Reid's scrummaging suspect and not fully tested yet. The return of McGrath combined with some form could be the final piece of the puzzle.
    • Hooker - Seemed to be blessed here, ultimately Herring is first choice. But on the little we've seen of Roberts, there is going to be serious competition for a bench spot. That's not even including the constantly earmarked Stewart, hopefully he will finally over come injury and we might get to see some of him.
    • Tighthead - the cupboard aint so empty, Milasinovich needs to put his hand up now he is fit and show Ulster why he is here
    • 2nd Row - Have we ever had so much depth? I know Treadwell/Izzy are injured but the siding of Kearny has been very smart. On what I've seen of Kearny he is exactly what we have lacked in a 2nd Row, I expect him to be used more than the stop gap fans maybe thought he was signed for. Hopefully he gets an extension, was very impressed with him and O'Connor pairing up.
    • Backrow - Another position we haven't had as much competition in who knows how long? albeit some fresh faces finally arriving. Blindside & open side to some degree are there for the taking. The addition of Vermeulen, means Rea Snr really needs to sort his consistency out or he could be leap frogged! I've never been a huge Jones fan, but he offers a little more now with Vermuelen/Kearny's ball carrying. Not to mention McCann can offer something different all together and will be wanting exposure. Sheridan albeit a second row currently, could turn out a very good blindside in the future.

All in all there is some serious competition in all positions, which can only raise the game a cross the line. With some actual academy players now appearing and a few more in the background ticking along. Balancing Vermuelen's game management/rotation will be interesting. Would really like to see a 6/2 split a few times.

Backs

• Scrum half - Cooney is potentially out of contract at end of season and no international caps in sight, this season needs some forward planning. Shanahan has shown if he isn't stuck box kicking, he can seriously up the tempo and is almost like a new signing. We have Doak now in the rear mirror, skilled beyond his years, though more a Murray type scrum-half! if he can speed up his game we've won the lottery at 9 again. The outlier in Finlay, I really want to see him given opportunities. A Doak/Finlay head to head could potentially set Ulster for the next decade.
    • Outhalf - Burns/Madigan solid choices, with Madigan on the wind down. Will Lowry/Curtis be seen here a little more this season? is Burns the future or do we roll the dice and Lowry push on?
    • 11-15 - to much to discuss. Some real young talent coming through. Biggest issue will be exposure and continuity. Competition is fierce and constant rotation is disruptive. The ulster factory continues to produce, with world class wingers, the ever impressing McIlroy (hopefully locking down 15) and that's not even considering Addison.

All together, we're definitely going in the right direction with a lot of young talent yet to mature. Will this be the season we stop thinking of Rea/McCann/Reid as academy players? and start looking over their shoulders at the next crop developing in the academy behind them.

Advertisement