Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think the ground, the size of the crowd and the rather poor TV coverage made it look more mediocre than it was. Are you suggesting neither of those teams would beat AIL Division 1 Teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

On that performance, I would certainly wonder if the USA team would. Inept wouldn’t even come close to describing their second half performance.

You can’t blame the pitch, the crowd or anything else for throwing a ball to an unopposed opposition pod at the front of a lineout. I wouldn’t expect to see anything that bad at junior level to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I didn't see the Canada game but the US are usually a terribly coached team. I think MLR has grown the talent pool reasonably well but if the coach isn't good enough they're going to be constantly exposed at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Read an article at the weekend that made me chuckle. I'd kind of assumed that Baloucoune got his nickname - "the Cat" - because he was fast, lithe, hard to contain.

No. Willie Anderson gave it to him because of his propensity for taking naps everywhere and anywhere.

Brutal but telling fact: in 11 seasons, Craig Gilroy has had 5 head coaches.

Is this Dan's third season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

If he had been a Munster player during that time he'd have had 5 too, Connacht and Leinster 4.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah I checked - it's actually six. Brian McLaughlin, Mark Anscombe, Les Kiss, Neil Doak, Jono Gibbes, Dan McFarland.

I thought it seemed too few. Just a typically well researched Ulster article on the 42.

Add on one year and it's seven (Matt Williams).

In fact, since the 2007/2008 season, we've had nine (Mark McCall, Steve Williams added.)

Fourteen years, nine coaches.

John Cooney ready to go from the start of the season

• Advertisement

Ulster team to play Saracens, pre-season fixture, Thursday 9 September at Honourable Artillery Company (kick-off 5pm, live on Saracens website):   

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;  

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Brad Roberts, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Mick Kearney, Greg Jones, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.  

Replacements: John Andrew, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Matty Rea, David Shanahan, Ethan McIlroy, Ben Moxham, Ross Kane, Marcus Rea, David McCann, Harry Sheridan, Ian Madigan, Angus Curtis, Ben Carson.  

No Lyttle, Stockdale, McCloskey, Treadwell, O'Sullivan, Herring, Murphy, Addison across the two games. Hendo, Izzy, McGrath and Marshall unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

No Allison either, had his 10 mins for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Is Addison injured? If anyone needs gametime it's him!

Good backline.

The pack is pretty meh.

Milasinovich missing also, he was blowing hard last week! Really needs game time!

Begs the question if O’Sullivan is injured? We have 1 snr Loosehead in Warwick, Reid not tested at this level and Milasinovich who can’t seem to get fit.

Honestly think O’Connor & Kearney might make a good pairing, both some dog about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

No word on the u23 squad for Saturday yet?

Alternative kit! Quite like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If you are counting Milasinovich as a loose-head cover, I recall watching an interview of him recently where he described himself as a tight-head that can cover loose-head.

So in my mind, it's O'Sullivan (assuming he's not injured, hopefully), Warwick, Reid, and Milasinovich as cover if needed, and McGrath, if he can return from his hip operation, remains to be seen if he will be good enough on his return to be a regular in a match-day 23.

Is Saunderson in the academy a loose-head also, think he played there for Ireland 20's this year and looked impressive IIRC, and if so would he be able to play a few minutes here and there as cover?

Thought he was impressive in the loose, but not great at all in the scrum. Really wouldn't want to see him packing down for the senior side for a while yet.

That's my concern, if O'Sullivan is injured for any period of time, we're very light depth wise for props that can scrummage. McGrath surely be 2022 before he returns?

None of Milasinovich, Reid or Saunderson would fill me full of confidence on a wet night scrum after scrum. Last weeks game handling was sublime and saved us from being scrummed of the pitch.

Reid & Saunderson need the O'Toole treatment with Dan for the season.

We'll get minced in the second half, as all the foetuses come on, but we've played well, and played smart in the first half.

Some good performances. There's mounting evidence that Bradley Roberts is much more than a stop-gap.

• Advertisement

Who is this team in yellow dominating Saracens in every facet of the game?

Is Bradley IQ?

Hard to remember the last time we unearthed such a good player from club rugby obscurity. I mean he was playing in Div 2A!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Bradley Roberts been the pick of the bunch so far, but the more I see of McIlroy the more I like him. Much stronger than he looks and really composed as well.

That was very pleasing to watch, how strong was that Saracens team? Luck was definitely not on their side!

Roberts is a cult hero in the making! Scary to think Tom Stewart still yet to break on to the scene! Definitely shows why McBurney moved on!

That was good to see after last week.

Pre season results mean nothing, but after last week it was important to bounce back, and also good for the younger lads in the second half to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Roberts and McIlroy put themselves in significant credit this evening.

It might not have been the Saracens' first choice team, but the scrum looked stable and controlled for the most part, including when Reid and TOT were on.

Tackling was frequently dominant rather than soaking pressure.

Lowry looked comfortable at ten. Interesting that Curtis rather than he took the conversions. Matty Rea much better, McCann good again. Shanahan has a zippy delivery - if his box-kicking were better, we might not all be so focussed on Doak.

We looked sharper than last week, and more skilful than Sarries.

That drop-out rather than a scrum when the ball is held up over the tryline is going to make a significant difference to teams that just want to monster over the line with their forwards.

Gilroy is way down the pecking order. Would have him after Lyttle and possibly McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

But he's IQ, is he not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Fingers crossed but I reckon the goal-line drop out can benefit us as our pack isn't really built to sustain pressure and scrums close to the line. I like the rule change anyway, other team still gets field position and an attacking opportunity, and hopefully it'll make the game flow a little better. Also forces the attacking team to be a little smarter rather than endlessly picking and going without thought or intent.

Advertisement