Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Islandmen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Another factor is that the club is relatively new. They have really had to build it up from scratch with battles on every conceivable front. Its one thing having someone from the island to play but for the club to produce a player for the county is an outstanding achievement that is definitely worth a shout out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

feargale wrote: »
    Leinster Leader, May 19th 1956

Passing Of Great Footballer

The Late Mr. Joseph Rafferty, Naas

The tragic death last week of Joe Rafferty (76) one of Kildare’s greatest football heroes, came as a great shock to Gaels not only in County Kildare but all over the whole country. Strangely enough Joe was not born in Kildare, but in Lambay Island off the coast of Dublin, where his father was employed at the time, before coming to a job in Osberstown, Naas.
        Joe, it is stated, was not christened for six weeks due to the difficulty of reaching the mainland owing to storms.

Great research!

So he was born in 1880. Was big enough to have a school at that time. Still a few members of Baring family living there i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Well there have been players commuting from London playing in the All Ireland so Inis Mor isnt all that unbelievable

That didn't happen some decades ago, if you except Dr. Pádraig Carney, a key player in Mayo's All-Ireland winning team of the early fifties. Unique as it was he was known as " the flying doctor."
    It's probably as easy these days to get from London to Knock Airport as to get from Aran to Tuam Stadium. As another famous Mayoman said: "“I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…”

2016 population: Co. Galway 258,058; Aran Islands 1226.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Great research!

So he was born in 1880. Was big enough to have a school at that time. Still a few members of Baring family living there i think.

Population of Lambay:

1831 84—    
    1841 89 +6.0%
    1851 75 −15.7%
    1861 71 −5.3%
    1871 88 +23.9%
    1881 61 −30.7%
    1891 32 −47.5%

1996 8 +0.0%
    2002 6 −25.0%
    2006 6 +0.0%
    2011 6 +0.0%
    2014 3 −50.0%
    2019 7 +133.3%
    2020 8 +14.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Seán Ó Maolchiarain is the first from CLG Oileáin Árann to represent Galway at senior level, the club was formed in it's present guise in the 1990s I think.

Padraig Ó Flaithbheartaigh, Gort na gCapall, Inis Mór, played in 1947. No club back then.

Where did you get this information from?

• Advertisement

BERE ISLAND:

Denis O’Sullivan Cork Senior 1931
    Donal O’Sullivan Cork Senior 1931, 1933, 1934 (capt), 1935 (capt), 1936, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941.Munster Railway Cup1934
    John O’Sullivan Cork Senior 1932, 1935
    Mick Newton Cork Senior 1933, 1934, 1935
    Peter C O’Sullivan Cork Senior 1934
    Batt Dennehy (Garnish) Cork Senior 1934, 1938 Played for Garnish but married and settled on Bere Island.
    Fr Bob Murphy Cork Senior 1935
    Louis O’Sullivan Cork Senior 1940
    John C O’Sullivan (London) London Junior1937 1938.
    Paddy Mullen Cork Senior 1940, 1941, 1943 Munster Railway Cup1941
    Tom Coughlan Cork Senior 1940
    PA “Weesh” Murphy Cork Senior1942, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954. Munster Railway Cup1943, 1944, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952.Weesh played with Bere Island until 1947 and thereafter played with St Finbarrs and Lees.
    Brendan Murphy Cork Senior 1945, 1946.
    Christie O'Sullivan Tipperary Senior 1946
    John Downey Cork Senior 1946
    Donal Hunt Cork Senior1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1978 Donal grew up on Bere Island and moved to Bantry in his early teens. He is recorded as born in Bantry but I presume that is because the nearest hospital was located there.

P.S. Someone might like to check this list in its entirety. It seems a big number for a small place.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

willabur wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from?

My father.

My father.

Bhfuil d'athair as Inis Mór?

Bhfuil d'athair as Inis Mór?

B'é Padraig a d'imir le Gaillimh í 1947 m'athair. Chaith sé seal ag imirt le Tiobraid Árann 7 Luimneach comh maith le cluiche amháin i dathanna cuige Mumhain.

B'é Padraig a d'imir le Gaillimh í 1947 m'athair. Chaith sé seal ag imirt le Tiobraid Árann 7 Luimneach comh maith le cluiche amháin i dathanna cuige Mumhain.

Did he play championship for all three counties? What was the timespan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Ger lynch kerry 82 /89 3 all Ireland medals
    Brendan o Sullivan Kerry panel last few years .Both from valentia island.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sean og O'Halpin.

Fiji is an island

And just like fermanagh

Not a hurling stronghold

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Ger lynch kerry 82 /89 3 all Ireland medals
    Brendan o Sullivan Kerry panel last few years .Both from valentia island.

10 Valentia players in total.

http://terracetalk.com/kerry-football/club/35/Valentia

Agus wrote: »

Excellent contribution.

P.S. You used to take part in the hurling and football pools. Did you hang up the boots?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    And just like fermanagh

Not a hurling stronghold

And neither an island.

OK, are we done here? I'm surprised at how many have turned up from Achill, Valentia and Bere Island.
    On the other hand, is there nobody at all from some of the smaller islands, Clare Island, Rathlin, Cape Clear, Whiddy, Sherkin etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

OK, are we done here? I'm surprised at how many have turned up from Achill, Valentia and Bere Island.
    On the other hand, is there nobody at all from some of the smaller islands, Clare Island, Rathlin, Cape Clear, Whiddy, Sherkin etc?

In the case of Mayo, Achill has a lot of people, is connected to the mainland by a bridge and has long had a GAA club.

Clare Island has few people, no bridge and hasn't usually had a GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I wonder did anyone who lived on an island on a lake ever play for a county team?
    I know there are/were inhabited islands along the Shannon, Corrib and elsewhere

I wonder did anyone who lived on an island on a lake ever play for a county team?
    I know there are/were inhabited islands along the Shannon, Corrib and elsewhere

I was wondering the same. My father told me before about a man he knew who grew up on an island on one of the lakes in Fermanagh. There are probably some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

In the case of Mayo, Achill has a lot of people, is connected to the mainland by a bridge and has long had a GAA club.

Clare Island has few people, no bridge and hasn't usually had a GAA club.

Louisburgh GAA club would usually have a few Clare island residents playing for them. I don't know if any of them played county though.

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Louisburgh GAA club would usually have a few Clare island residents playing for them. I don't know if any of them played county though.

They had a club of their own for a bit (Together with other islands I believe) but not anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Aren't we all Islandmen? :)

Aren't we all Islandmen? :)

Which secondary school's debating club are you attached to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Which secondary school's debating club are you attached to?

Don't get your yoga pants in a twist

They had a club of their own for a bit (Together with other islands I believe) but not anymore.

They play in the all Island championships held annually, lads come from all corners to represent their Island.

As expected, there doesn't seem to be much prospect of finding island hurlers. Can anybody find any apart from Derek Barrett of Cobh?

Advertisement