Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

GAA Islandmen

  • 16-11-2020 4:28pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Yesterday Sean Mulkerrin became the first Aran Islander to play senior championship football for Galway. Here is a list of other island-born county players:
    2. Mick O'Connell (Kerry 1956-1974) born on Beginish, moved to Valentia when young.
    3. Patrick Aloysius ("Weeshie") Murphy (Cork fullback 1945) born on Bere Island.
    4. Peter McDermott (Meath captain 1954) born in Cobh (i.e. Great Island.)
    5. There was a Dublin or Kildare footballer in the 1920s who was born on Lambay Island. I can't remember the details.

    Can anybody add any hurler or footballer to this list? Thank you.

    P.S. Wikipedia says Peter McDermott was born in Belgooly Co. Cork. I read otherwise elsewhere.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ Fr Tod Umptious


    feargale wrote: »
    Yesterday Sean Mulkerrin became the first Aran Islander to play senior championship football for Galway. Here is a list of other island-born county players:
    2. Mick O'Connell (Kerry) born on Beginish, moved to Valentia when young.
    3. Weeshie Murphy (Cork fullback 1945) born on Bere Island.
    4. Peter McDermott (Meath captain 1954) born in Cobh (i.e. Great Island.)
    5. There was a Dublin or Kildare footballer in the 1920s who was born on Lambay Island. I can't remember the details.

    Can anybody add any hurler or footballer to this list? Thank you.

    Sean og O'Halpin.

    Fiji is an island


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Sean og O'Halpin.

    Fiji is an island

    Ah dammit, no. For that matter Ireland is an island. I should have said Ireland's offshore islands.

    P.S. Fiji is an archipelago. Be more specific please. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭ Utopia Parkway


    Does Walsh Island count for the Offaly lads?


  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ Danville


    ...if Sean Og O hAilpin qualifies, then his brother Setanta does too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Does Walsh Island count for the Offaly lads?

    Is it offshore?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988


    6 Achill men have played senior with Mayo

    Sean Vesey Dugort Achill- Mayo senior 1990
    Adrian Kilbane Cashel Achill senior 1963
    Michael Ruddy Cloughmore Achill Senior 1963
    Michael Gielty Dooagh Achhill Senior 1978
    Sean Grealis Dooniver Achill Senior 1987/90
    Colm Cafferkey Cashel Achill Senior 2009


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭ Utopia Parkway


    feargale wrote: »
    Is it offshore?

    I believe they call it an island because it's surrounded by bog.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    6 Achill men have played senior with Mayo

    Sean Vesey Dugort Achill- Mayo senior 1990
    Adrian Kilbane Cashel Achill senior 1963
    Michael Ruddy Cloughmore Achill Senior 1963
    Michael Gielty Dooagh Achhill Senior 1978
    Sean Grealis Dooniver Achill Senior 1987/90
    Colm Cafferkey Cashel Achill Senior 2009

    Add Raymond McNamara Dugort Achill Senior 2000.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭ Quantum Erasure


    feargale wrote: »
    P.S. Fiji is an archipelago. Be more specific please. :)

    Rotuma Island,


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Rotuma Island,

    Yes and Kerry's Darren O'Sullivan was born on the island of Great Britain. Unfortunately we cannot accomodate the countless others born thus. Let's try to keep it on track.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭ Quantum Erasure


    It's a small island, 8 miles by 2 miles, 400 miles from the main island of Fiji, population in 2017 was 1,594... I'd count that before I'd count anyone born in Cobh tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ DuffleBag


    feargale wrote: »
    Yesterday Sean Mulkerrin became the first Aran Islander to play senior championship football for Galway. Here is a list of other island-born county players:
    2. Mick O'Connell (Kerry 1956-1974) born on Beginish, moved to Valentia when young.
    3. Patrick Aloysius ("Weeshie") Murphy (Cork fullback 1945) born on Bere Island.
    4. Peter McDermott (Meath captain 1954) born in Cobh (i.e. Great Island.)
    5. There was a Dublin or Kildare footballer in the 1920s who was born on Lambay Island. I can't remember the details.

    Can anybody add any hurler or footballer to this list? Thank you.

    P.S. Wikipedia says Peter McDermott was born in Belgooly Co. Cork. I read otherwise elsewhere.

    Plenty of fellas from Cobh would have played if you're including there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    DuffleBag wrote: »
    Plenty of fellas from Cobh would have played if you're including there.

    such as?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭ dobman88


    feargale wrote: »
    such as?

    Derek Barret is one I can think of without checking it out. Not from cork so wouldn't know of others. Only know about Derek cos he came up recently in a conversation.

    FWIW, I wouldnt consider cobh on an island. The likes of Bere and the Aran islands are different as they have no road access afaik


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ MfMan


    Sean Andy O Ceallaigh has played championship for Galway. His Lettermore club is at least an island in part, with some sections reachable via man-made bridge. Goalie Rory Lavelle was from Inis Boffin, though he played club football with Renvyle and later Salthill. Headford's Michael Day ditto I think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    dobman88 wrote: »
    Derek Barret is one I can think of without checking it out. Not from cork so wouldn't know of others. Only know about Derek cos he came up recently in a conversation.

    FWIW, I wouldnt consider cobh on an island. The likes of Bere and the Aran islands are different as they have no road access afaik

    Let Cobh be spoken for and you can all sift the responses in your own way at the end of the day. Achill is bridged to the mainland too, as is Valentia now. And Dursey is connected by cable car.

    Soon, with bridges and tunnels, there will be nothing left that you will call an island, even if some of us persist in doing so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    6 Achill men have played senior with Mayo

    Sean Vesey Dugort Achill- Mayo senior 1990
    Adrian Kilbane Cashel Achill senior 1963
    Michael Ruddy Cloughmore Achill Senior 1963
    Michael Gielty Dooagh Achhill Senior 1978
    Sean Grealis Dooniver Achill Senior 1987/90
    Colm Cafferkey Cashel Achill Senior 2009

    That's a fine contribution. Can you add any more? Clare Island? Inishbofin?
    I don't think the Donegal islands will yield much as soccer is the traditional game there, thanks to the tattie hokers and others going to and fro between West Donegal and Scotland.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    feargale wrote: »
    That's a fine contribution. Can you add any more? Clare Island? Inishbofin?
    I don't think the Donegal islands will yield much as soccer is the traditional game there, thanks to the tattie hokers and others going to and fro between West Donegal and Scotland.

    There's no GAA club on any of the Donegal islands and its not done in the schools either (unless things have changed very recently)

    Arranmore *have* won the inter-island gaelic football tournament (possibly more than once actually), but its basically the Arranmore United team in a different strip. Used to actually have its own island soccer league, there were that many teams.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    L1011 wrote: »
    There's no GAA club on any of the Donegal islands and its not done in the schools either (unless things have changed very recently)

    Arranmore *have* won the inter-island gaelic football tournament (possibly more than once actually), but its basically the Arranmore United team in a different strip. Used to actually have its own island soccer league, there were that many teams.

    I was on the island about 20 years ago and I believe that the island league was still going at that time with about seven teams, and that every other year Arranmore United travelled to London to play a team of their exiles there, and the Londoners used to come to Arranmore the following year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Ger O'Driscoll (Kerry 1975-1980) born Valentia.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    feargale wrote: »
    5. There was a Dublin or Kildare footballer in the 1920s who was born on Lambay Island. I can't remember the details.

    .

    That's an interesting one. I wonder who it was. There were still a fair few people - maybe 200 - living on Lambay up to early years of 20th century. Nearest clubs would have been Skerries, Pats in Portrane, not sure if Sylvesters were there then, but no-one from those clubs played for Dublin at that time. Bobby Beggs who won AIs with Dublin and Galway in 30s was Skerries man. He played for Harps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ Alvin Holler


    L1011 wrote: »
    There's no GAA club on any of the Donegal islands and its not done in the schools either (unless things have changed very recently)

    Arranmore *have* won the inter-island gaelic football tournament (possibly more than once actually), but its basically the Arranmore United team in a different strip. Used to actually have its own island soccer league, there were that many teams.

    Aranmore would fall in the Dungloe club area. They've had a few islanders play with them over the years but it's obviously a challenge logistically.

    Think an islander may have played underage for the county but not senior.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988


    feargale wrote: »
    That's a fine contribution. Can you add any more? Clare Island? Inishbofin?
    I don't think the Donegal islands will yield much as soccer is the traditional game there, thanks to the tattie hokers and others going to and fro between West Donegal and Scotland.


    I took them from the achill gaa website which is somewhat incomplete as lads i personally know who played minor for mayo were not listed.

    Micko's family are rom valentia too as far as i know but he was born on the mainland


  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ westsidestory


    feargale wrote: »
    Yesterday Sean Mulkerrin became the first Aran Islander to play senior championship football for Galway. Here is a list of other island-born county players:
    2. Mick O'Connell (Kerry 1956-1974) born on Beginish, moved to Valentia when young.
    3. Patrick Aloysius ("Weeshie") Murphy (Cork fullback 1945) born on Bere Island.
    4. Peter McDermott (Meath captain 1954) born in Cobh (i.e. Great Island.)
    5. There was a Dublin or Kildare footballer in the 1920s who was born on Lambay Island. I can't remember the details.

    Can anybody add any hurler or footballer to this list? Thank you.

    P.S. Wikipedia says Peter McDermott was born in Belgooly Co. Cork. I read otherwise elsewhere.

    Seán Ó Maolchiarain is the first from CLG Oileáin Árann to represent Galway at senior level, the club was formed in it's present guise in the 1990s I think.

    Padraig Ó Flaithbheartaigh, Gort na gCapall, Inis Mór, played in 1947. No club back then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    That's an interesting one. I wonder who it was. There were still a fair few people - maybe 200 - living on Lambay up to early years of 20th century. Nearest clubs would have been Skerries, Pats in Portrane, not sure if Sylvesters were there then, but no-one from those clubs played for Dublin at that time. Bobby Beggs who won AIs with Dublin and Galway in 30s was Skerries man. He played for Harps.

    Leinster Leader, May 19th 1956

    Passing Of Great Footballer

    The Late Mr. Joseph Rafferty, Naas

    The tragic death last week of Joe Rafferty (76) one of Kildare’s greatest football heroes, came as a great shock to Gaels not only in County Kildare but all over the whole country. Strangely enough Joe was not born in Kildare, but in Lambay Island off the coast of Dublin, where his father was employed at the time, before coming to a job in Osberstown, Naas.
        Joe, it is stated, was not christened for six weeks due to the difficulty of reaching the mainland owing to storms.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988


    feargale wrote: »
    Leinster Leader, May 19th 1956

    Passing Of Great Footballer

    The Late Mr. Joseph Rafferty, Naas

    The tragic death last week of Joe Rafferty (76) one of Kildare’s greatest football heroes, came as a great shock to Gaels not only in County Kildare but all over the whole country. Strangely enough Joe was not born in Kildare, but in Lambay Island off the coast of Dublin, where his father was employed at the time, before coming to a job in Osberstown, Naas.
        Joe, it is stated, was not christened for six weeks due to the difficulty of reaching the mainland owing to storms.

    Never knew that and im a Kildare man


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985


    feargale wrote: »
    Let Cobh be spoken for and you can all sift the responses in your own way at the end of the day. Achill is bridged to the mainland too, as is Valentia now. And Dursey is connected by cable car.

    Soon, with bridges and tunnels, there will be nothing left that you will call an island, even if some of us persist in doing so.

    Ha but I've met people from Achill whosay they grew up on an island. You never meet lads from Cobh talking about growing up on an island.

    Surprised with the fact that Aran hasn't produced a senior player before


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ha but I've met people from Achill whosay they grew up on an island. You never meet lads from Cobh talking about growing up on an island.

    Sometimes people get notions above themselves. You'll seldom meet lads from West Virginia who will talk about Trump losing the 2020 election.

    Great Island was at one time so isolated from the mainland that it was Irish-speaking and Cobh didn't exist. In the 18th century a man called Philip Barron ran an agricultural school there through the medium of Irish. Then the British lost the American colonies and to retain control of the Atlantic decided to construct a base on Ireland's south coast, settling on the most impregnable harbour on the eastern side of the Atlantic. Great Island was bridged to the mainland in 1809. To reach the rest of Co. Cork from Cobh you must either 1. cross that one and only bridge, 2. take the train, 3.take the ferry to Passage West, 4. swim.

    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Surprised with the fact that Aran hasn't produced a senior player before

    Not that surprising when you consider the logistics of a guy with a day job ( that job possibly being fisherman - no trade union hours!) trying to link up with team mates for training, travel to matches etc.. There are one or two articles online on the challenges and exertions facing Sean Mulkerrin.
    Seán Ó Maolchiarain is the first from CLG Oileáin Árann to represent Galway at senior level, the club was formed in it's present guise in the 1990s I think.
    Padraig Ó Flaithbheartaigh, Gort na gCapall, Inis Mór, played in 1947. No club back then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭ feargale


    MfMan wrote: »
    Sean Andy O Ceallaigh has played championship for Galway. His Lettermore club is at least an island in part, with some sections reachable via man-made bridge. Goalie Rory Lavelle was from Inis Boffin, though he played club football with Renvyle and later Salthill. Headford's Michael Day ditto I think.

    Jan 10th 2017,

    Michael Day and Ruairi Lavelle from Innishbofin.

    ONE OF THE smallest GAA communities in the country has double reason for celebration after two of their players made their senior inter-county debut on Sunday.

    Goalkeeper Ruairi Lavelle and midfielder Michael Day made their senior bows with Galway, completing a journey which began on the small island of Inishbofin which doesn’t even have enough numbers to have their own club.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,493 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985


    feargale wrote: »

    Not that surprising when you consider the logistics of a guy with a day job ( that job possibly being fisherman - no trade union hours!) trying to link up with team mates for training, travel to matches etc.. There are one or two articles online on the challenges and exertions facing Sean Mulkerrin.


    Well there have been players commuting from London playing in the All Ireland so Inis Mor isnt all that unbelievable


Advertisement