Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maddhy

Age 30;
    Male;
    NCB=0;
    Named driver experience=3 months;
    car: 1.6l 2011;
    Dublin 18;
    got Irish full license just last week;
    added my GF as named driver, she got her full license for 4 years and her own car;

Cheapest quote 3rd party theft fire: 1110 (direct with Liberty through their website)

The cheapest from brokers was 1460 (GMHD) but also with Liberty (he asked me what price I got elsewhere, I said 1.5k, then he quoted this price....wonder what if I said 500...)

Also phoned liberty but strangely got 1280...

Out of curiosity checked with Allianz in Germany (where I used to live) also as a fresh driver without adding any named driver and with an address in the city got quoted 900 (3rd party theft fire), Allianz here quoted me 1839.18;

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

maddhy wrote: »
    Age 30;
    NCB=0;
    Named driver experience=3 months;
    car: 1.6l 2011;
    got Irish full license just last week;

Cheapest quote 3rd party theft fire: 1110 (direct with Liberty through their website)

The cheapest from brokers was 1460 but also with Liberty

Also phoned liberty but strangely got 1280...

Their online quote will be cheaper as you print your own cert/schedule etc in the hope you have correctly done all the paperwork.

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Their online quote will be cheaper as you print your own cert/schedule etc in the hope you have correctly done all the paperwork.

Yeah that's fine with me, don't wanna pay 100euro extra for their fancy printer haha

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

roper1664 wrote: »
    I changed to AXA in the end. They quoted 450. Previous insurer was 550 for a "new" quote or 686 for a renewal. All other insurers I tried ranged from 780 to 1100.

AXA - 762 ....yeah away with ye

I went with AIG in the end, had to take out new member policy and resend copies of driving licences to get same, took 3 minutes to save 51 yoyos, 353 in total, no one else withing 70 euro of them and most miles away.
    I get money off with AIG golfer and they are reasonably priced, however other companies came n with scandalous prices, liberty over 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I don't know about that. You will hear General Insurers sometimes mention in their ads to get the best price online but in reality I have found I tended to fair better when calling them. Also they will often ask you what is the best price you received so far and if its there or thereabouts they will say they will speak to their manager and see what they can do as you hold the line que to drop the phone for 2 minutes to firm up a time for the next fag break with their colleague.
    More often than not they will beat it and if not the will almost if not match the best price you received and list out a raft of silly rider benefits that your most likely getting with the other provider anyway.

€1,100 is a very good price though for Other poster. The 3 months named driving experience is going to count for nout I'm guessing. When I started off in 2002 on a full license as a named driver on a 2 seater van it was €2,100 TPF&T. If it was a passenger car, even a 1.0 micra you would have added almost €1,000 to that and add on another €1,000 at least if I was to do it in my own name then. I was just 21 but even so.

Yeah I'm quite happy about the price after reading the quotes for fresh drivers from old posts. Kennco quoted me 1600, I was already happy, almost went for it before ringing Liberty. Read that last year European commission launched an anti-cartel investigation on car insurance in Ireland, it does seem to help.

My Gf just renewed her policy:
    1 year NCB and 2 years named driver on her mom's car;
    1.2 Polo 2013;
    27y/o;
    Dublin 18;
    450 with Liberty, last year she paid 950 with Liberty via a broker called Marsh;

I don't know about that. You will hear General Insurers sometimes mention in their ads to get the best price online but in reality I have found I tended to fair better when calling them. Also they will often ask you what is the best price you received so far and if its there or thereabouts they will say they will speak to their manager and see what they can do as you hold the line que to drop the phone for 2 minutes to firm up a time for the next fag break with their colleague.
    More often than not they will beat it and if not the will almost if not match the best price you received and list out a raft of silly rider benefits that your most likely getting with the other provider anyway.

€1,100 is a very good price though for Other poster. The 3 months named driving experience is going to count for nout I'm guessing. When I started off in 2002 on a full license as a named driver on a 2 seater van it was €2,100 TPF&T. If it was a passenger car, even a 1.0 micra you would have added almost €1,000 to that and add on another €1,000 at least if I was to do it in my own name then. I was just 21 but even so.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

25Plus Car Insurance query

is this a mickey mouse company ?

their quote is half the 'traditional' insurers and that always raises questions.

also i am having issues getting online quotes for a 640d.
    zero points
    full irish licence over 10 years
    owner car over 12 months

seems crazy

their quote is half the 'traditional' insurers and that always raises questions.

zero points
    owner car over 12 months

seems crazy

640d is normally group 41 thus -
    All drivers over 30, no a/c/c or PP(3 can be ok)
    No open driving option
    Depending on value - tracker may be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

25plus are underwritten by AIG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    25plus are underwritten by AIG

We had two cars with them for years, no issues also had a claim during that time sorted with no hassles, left about 4 years ago because we had to get the young lad on the road so switched to Aviva, all with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No open driving option

what group is a 335d out of interest?

what group is a 335d out of interest?

Update for 2020 - 640d 2-dr is group 50

2011-2018
    model SE

650i SE 2d Auto 49
    640d SE 2d Auto 50
    640i SE 2d Auto 50
    650i (449bhp) SE 2d Auto 50

M Sport Limited Edition

640d M Sport Limited Edition 2dr Auto 2d 50
    640d M Sport Limited Edition 4dr Auto 4d 50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

zero points
    owner car over 12 months

seems crazy

Myself and other family members were with them for years they certainly aren't a Mickey mouse company.

No open driving option

I am good for all the above .

Quote is up 300 from last year

Update for 2020 - 640d 2-dr is group 50

2011-2018
    model SE

650i SE 2d Auto 49
    640d SE 2d Auto 50
    640i SE 2d Auto 50
    650i (449bhp) SE 2d Auto 50

M Sport Limited Edition

640d M Sport Limited Edition 2dr Auto 2d 50
    640d M Sport Limited Edition 4dr Auto 4d 50

Can I ask why they are changing this model of car ?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Myself and other family members were with them for years they certainly aren't a Mickey mouse company.

Thanks for that, will give them a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Your Age: 39
    Car type and engine: Ford Focus 1.6
    years driving: 19 years full licence.
    any claims: No.
    Price and provider: Aviva renewal quote of €553. Got a quote of €450 with AIG. Called Aviva back and they offered me the same policy as I had for €443. Went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Financesetc.

AA car insurance €640 tpft
    Full licence 14 years
    32 yrs old
    2008 1.8 petrol avensis
    10+ years no claims bonus
    1 claim, no claims protected.
    AA membership, 4cent off per litre of petrol at the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AA car insurance €464 Fully Comp (Aviva)
    Full licence 11 years
    57 yrs old (+ one full licence named driver)
    2007 1.4 petrol Skoda Roomster
    1 windscreen replacement

Initially quoted 483 to renew, rang in, did the merry dance and got it down a few bob.

I am a member and also have Home Insurance with them.

spurious wrote: »
    AA car insurance €464 Fully Comp (Aviva)
    Full licence 11 years
    57 yrs old (+ one full licence named driver)
    2007 1.4 petrol Skoda Roomster
    1 windscreen replacement

Initially quoted 483 to renew, rang in, did the merry dance and got it down a few bob.

I am a member and also have Home Insurance with them.
    Wow thats is great. Il be standing my ground when i get my renewal. Im driving the last 16 years but for some reason my no claims only says 9 years plus. No option to add the 16years no claims. I don't think i ever had a no claims cert that has stated anything over 10. Is that normal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Wow thats is great. Il be standing my ground when i get my renewal. Im driving the last 16 years but for some reason my no claims only says 9 years plus. No option to add the 16years no claims. I don't think i ever had a no claims cert that has stated anything over 10. Is that normal
    Very much normal. Insurers will only show a maximum number of years no claims discount on their certificates irrespective of the number of years no claims the Client has. If I recall correctly Aviva my current provider only show a maximum of 8 on the certificates they issue to me even though I have away more than that.

Just be sure to keep note of how many years actual claims free you actually have. I have being told by Brokers/ Companies more than once that its not a problem if my non claims certificate shows a lesser number of years than I say when getting a quotation/ taking out cover with a new provider. They seem to know the maximum number of years no claims the other providers show on their certificates.

Very much normal. Insurers will only show a maximum number of years no claims discount on their certificates irrespective of the number of years no claims the Client has. If I recall correctly Aviva my current provider only show a maximum of 8 on the certificates they issue to me even though I have away more than that.

Just be sure to keep note of how many years actual claims free you actually have. I have being told by Brokers/ Companies more than once that its not a problem if my non claims certificate shows a lesser number of years than I say when getting a quotation/ taking out cover with a new provider. They seem to know the maximum number of years no claims the other providers show on their certificates.

My latest ones says 9 years no claims but i have built up 16years worth but on paper i dont know where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Anyone know best place to get insurance for an old car. Looking to insure a 98 Toyota Corolla, a lot of companies either won't give a quote or else give an insane quote, more than the value of the car. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Car: 2008 BMW E90 320i (170)
    Years driving: 11
    Claims: 0
    No Claims: 11 years
    Type: Fully Comp

Axa - €869.84
    AA - €792.42
    Aviva - n/a
    Liberty - €549.73
    AnPost - €895.28
    FBD - €1,018.02
    123.ie - €452.84
    Chill - €596.00
    allianz - €793.85
    Its4Women - €825.00
    25plus - €953.04

Ended up paying 490 with 123.ie as the extra 42 euro was to get full NCD protection
    cant believe how cheap i got it this year especially in the BMW

This year on a BMW 520D F10
    AIG €733.59
    Chill €849.00
    Kenco €1,084.45
    Axa €1,061.22
    An Post €765.62
    FBD €745.69
    Its4women €694.73
    25plus €738.01
    AA €1,188.39

renewing with current provider 123.ie at €550

My dads ncb cert says 52...one of the original pmpa clients from ‘68.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Anyone know best place to get insurance for an old car. Looking to insure a 98 Toyota Corolla, a lot of companies either won't give a quote or else give an insane quote, more than the value of the car. Any help appreciated.

A lot of the Corolla, if an import, will be loaded due to the risk that it’s a ‘levin’ from Japan. If you supply the VIN number to Axa to prove it’s an Irish car the underwriter can regroup the car to standard group 8 to 11 depending on 1.3 or 1.6 petrol or group 10 if 2.0 diesel.
    If the car is grey import (uk originally) then again proof of vin will help with liberty & FBD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Girly Gal wrote: »

Liberty and AXA are the only two I know of. And you can lower that to one as Liberty who I am insured with on a 1998 Levin will not give me a new quote but since I am already with them they just keep sending out renewals every year and cheaper than AXA too.

• Advertisement

AA car insurance €640 tpft
    Full licence 14 years
    32 yrs old
    2008 1.8 petrol avensis
    1 claim, no claims protected.
    AA membership, 4cent off per litre of petrol at the pump.
    Just got my renewal quote based on the details above they quoted me over 1500 euro!!

Advertisement