Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building wooden shed - 16' x 10' - 12'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I think that is the way I might go.
    Base (sectioned) plywood floor, frame, plywood, membrane and pvc cladding.

I'm not sure about how to go about the roof yet though. I know the type, not sure how to execute.
    Or where may be the best place to source the timber from. I don't know. Yikes. :o

I was thinking of shiplap directly on to frame, and that was cheap, from another crowd on adverts.
    The PVC cladding looks like it may be a better option, but I haven't looked at the price per size properly yet.
    I would like to start it at the end of this week, how long would I need to put order in for timber etc.?
    Timber readily available with all local merchants. Osb roof with Epdm worked a treat. I sourced from Uk. Great kit with all required trims supplied. Painless and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

dodzy wrote: »
    Timber readily available with all local merchants. Osb roof with Epdm worked a treat. I sourced from Uk. Great kit with all required trims supplied. Painless and quick delivery.
    Thanks, could you link to that?

I am looking up a crowd called Dooley from Carlow I think for the timber. I am going to order this weekend, got slightly put back but still should be good. Looking forward to it I must say.. And half crapping I'll mess it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

I did EPDM in a similar way, kit from UK on our car port. Not as easy as I thought but had a big enough area 12m x 4m. Handy enough for small area, basically you glue on one sheet of rubber. More expensive than felt but will last longer. Loads of videos online. Substrate needs to be dry so watch the weather. I'm doing a small shed now 2m x 3m and plan to use grey corrugated sheet metal and grey composite wall cladding. I suggest shopping local for timber.

DIY KING wrote: »
    I did EPDM in a similar way, kit from UK on our car port. Not as easy as I thought but had a big enough area 12m x 4m. Handy enough for small area, basically you glue on one sheet of rubber. More expensive than felt but will last longer. Loads of videos online. Substrate needs to be dry so watch the weather. I'm doing a small shed now 2m x 3m and plan to use grey corrugated sheet metal and grey composite wall cladding. I suggest shopping local for timber.

Thanks, I have been looking around for timber, problem is I don't really know where to source it from (locally or otherwise). Looking at Strahan, goodwins, brooks and Dooleys.
    Where would be good in the UK to order the EPDM kit?

EDITED:
    @Dodzy, how did you clad the sides and the back?
    Before you put them up, or did you have room to get behind and swing a hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks, I have been looking around for timber, problem is I don't really know where to source it from (locally or otherwise). Looking at Strahan, goodwins, brooks and Dooleys.
    Where would be good in the UK to order the EPDM kit?

EDITED:
    @Dodzy, how did you clad the sides and the back?
    Before you put them up, or did you have room to get behind and swing a hammer?

Goodwins, brooks - they’re will be little difference on pricing.

https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/ For epdm (mention Ali dymock YouTube video for 10% discount)

PVC Panels are screwed on. Really easy. Minimal access needed; let your size dictate how much space you need ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Permaroof is where I got my EPDM. Shop around and check delivery cost. Have you thought out edge details, gutter etc ?
    On the timber just make sure everything is treated and treat cut ends yourself as you go.

DIY KING wrote: »
    Permaroof is where I got my EPDM. Shop around and check delivery cost. Have you thought out edge details, gutter etc ?
    On the timber just make sure everything is treated and treat cut ends yourself as you go.
    Thanks, I have watched TONS of videos at this stage :o because it is literally going to be my first project - apart from some woodwork in school.
    I saw the treating of the wood at the ends, and I forgot already, thankfully your post may have drilled it home hopefully. I will be going back over this thread once the wood arrives.
    I haven't thought about the edge details.. I thought the roof would slope out (I was initially thinking apex with tiny mezzanine level for shelving.) the way the current shed is. But have since thought flat roof is much better option.
    Whoever said earlier i am all over the place was correct. I thought I had a plan. Now it feels much more solid (with the exception of finalised roof).

I need to buy a lot of tarpaulin/plastic sheeting I think, and the current shed has a lot of stuff in it with no real place to store it. Luckily I think there is an old kitchen table in there. I could put some stuff underneath it and some above, and use the tarpaulin to cover, as the shed needs to be removed.

Then the patio stones down and the base.. and more tarp. :D
    I have re-thought everything.
    Had dodzy not posted a follow up, I was thinking his looked way more expensive than I was aiming for and difficult.
    I still think it may be difficult, but not nearly as much as I thought as I now have a better understanding of what was done (thanks to follow up posts, - big thanks :) )
    So that seems like a better option than shiplap on frame.
    Maybe slightly more expensive, but not a lot.
    There are a few smaller things I'm not 100% on, but not much (that I know of).
    I can't remember them all at the minute, but one is the floor and insulation.
    Does the floor insulation just rest on these little blocks or is it somehow fixed in :o (I realise it would be unlikely to fall out or blow away etc. but still unsure..
    Does the frame have to be raised on blocks when it is on concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does the floor insulation just rest on these little blocks or is it somehow fixed in

If you're using solid insulation those battens alone are fine.
    Does the frame have to be raised on blocks when it is on concrete?
    If you mean a poured concrete slab, then no.

But you wrote at the start of this thread
    I am/can not put down any sort of foundation

I think you just need to pick a particular method/design that suits your budget, skill level and intended use and stick to it.

What are you going to be using the shed for anyway? That matters, because a "garden room" requires far more attention to detail than something for sticking garden tools in. Maybe you posted that already and I missed it.

Lumen wrote: »
    If you're using solid insulation those battens alone are fine.
    If you mean a poured concrete slab, then no.

But you wrote at the start of this thread

I think you just need to pick a particular method/design that suits your budget, skill level and intended use and stick to it.

What are you going to be using the shed for anyway? That matters, because a "garden room" requires far more attention to detail than something for sticking garden tools in. Maybe you posted that already and I missed it.
    It won't be poured concrete, it would likely be patio slabs. I will probably raise from them.

The shed will be for tools an storage mainly, but there will be times when I will be spending hours at a time in there, so some insulation would be preferable. I will insulate as much as possible.

dodzy wrote: »
    Cheers. I intentionally left a perimeter for access of approx 2' (I needed it anyway to fit the PVC cladding but I prefer that design vs wall to wall). The intention was to store garden tools behind - the overhanging roof provides the added bonus of keeping this area dry so it's handy.

Roof was EPDM over 18mm sheets of OSB (same sheeting as the floor) with 11mm used for walls. 6x2 treated for floor and roof; 4x2 for walls. Structure is approx 20' x 8' x 8' with pitch of approx 1:15.
    How much cladding did you order, for 8' high?
    It looks like 23 boards high, but not sure if there are boards above and below that I can't see.
    I'm not sure how much area a board covers.
    I'm working out (not sure) at 12.5mtrs long board @ €7.75 per board. I haven't contacted yet to see if they do different sizes.
    But in the video he links to in the comments, it looks like they are double boards wide.
    I haven't even cleared out the old shed yet. I think I am going to have to slow down.. blush2.gif

I initially naively thought I could get the base and floor down. Make the frame, get the shiplap cladding on over the membrane, raise the frame or attach it while frame is up.
    Apex roof. Insulate inside and add plasterboard or cladding (I was leaning towards cladding). I was also very naively thinking I could get all of this done this side of Christmas - not that that was important, it was just a target. Definitely want to have it finished entering February or spring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement