Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building wooden shed - 16' x 10' - 12'

Options
  • 12-11-2020 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I am working in feet and inches....... :pac::o

I am looking at building a wooden shed about 16ft x 10ft or 12ft (or anywhere in between).
    I have a couple of weeks off coming up and weather permitting (bad time of the year) I hope to get it done during that.

I am looking at shiplap boards, but possibly barrel boards?
    Any advice on anything that I missed or may be a better option would be appreciated.

I am/can not put down any sort of foundation, so I am hoping to put down patio slabs, and going to build a wooden frame for the floor (raised?)

I think
    8 of 16' lengths of 4x2 (required for larger base) for the floor frame
    8 of 10'or 12' lengths of 4x2 also for the floor frame
    4 of 8' x 4' of ½ inch thick plywood
    6 of 16' lengths of 2x1 for the sides.

Membrane? Not sure what type to get.
    I will likely be insulating it, but that is not a priority.
    What type of roof is better, how much shiplap would be required roughly, or better yet, how to work it out properly?
    Trial and error?
    I am thinking 14 boards per side would be high enough,,,
    Admittedly I have only been focusing on the 'how to' links online and I don't think it looks incredibly difficult.
    I think nail the shiplap and screw everything else?

As mentioned, all and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nails for framing, screws for sheeting and cladding.

Build deck raised on blocks, frame walls on deck, raise walls, frame roof.

You haven't mentioned the roof. Or windows. Or door. If you're buying a door and windows, buy them early and frame the walls around them.

Consider polycarbonate skylights for light and security

Not much fun in winter. Days are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks, I thought it was the other way around, lucky I asked. I would have nailed the sheeting an cladding and screwed the frame.
    I will be buying windows and a door. Hadn't even thought about skylight. No idea what type of roof to put on it. I am looking at a sloping roof, but hadn't decided on what material to use.
    I haven't done anything like this before so am probably missing loads. Thanks for your reply, I will at windows and doors first, and skylights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks, I thought it was the other way around, lucky I asked. I would have nailed the sheeting an cladding and screwed the frame.
    I will be buying windows and a door. Hadn't even thought about skylight. No idea what type of roof to put on it. I am looking at a sloping roof, but hadn't decided on what material to use.
    I haven't done anything like this before so am probably missing loads. Thanks for your reply, I will at windows and doors first, and skylights.
    Check out lumens build.
    Someone else has a thread as well on his shed build

Thanks, will have a look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Check out lumens build.
    Someone else has a thread as well on his shed build

Thats not a shed its a b00dy palace.

There's also building methods to take into consideration.

I build sheds like a lot of the various shed suppliers do in sections and then put the sections together. There is some merit to this as all the main work can be done on the flat and the actual final assembly is very quick.

If you make up a square base then the side walls, end walls, and roof can all be made up flat on the base using it as a guide for size.

I'd use 2 x 3 (nominal so about 1 7/8 by 2 3/4) for everything except some of the roof sections, where wider timber is needed.

2 x 1 is a little light for the sides but if you were buying a shed some of the really cheap ones would use that size.

Plywood is a mixed blessing. Its great because its square but in a shed that is not looked after and loved it will deteriorate much quicker than pressure treated planks if damp creeps in.

14 boards per side sounds about right I can see the shed in the dark thats outside the window here but iirc its 14 boards high I can do some measurements tomorrow of timber dimensions if you like.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that sounds more like the type of shed I was looking at.

Lumen - Absolutely great work!! Amazing looking space, fair play especially if it was first build :eek:
    But way out of my comfort zone for a few reasons, mainly time and money. But thank you very much for the advice too, will still look over your thread for pointers.

I was thinking about making the sides, and then hoisting them and adding the roof.. :eek: :o
    The idea started as a pallet shed after seeing some youtube videos at the start of the summer, and for various reasons it was delayed. Now the pallet idea is gone after readoig some more, but as much as I would love Lumens build, mine will be more of the simple, cheaper variety.

I can do some measurements tomorrow of timber dimensions if you like.

That would be great, thanks.

My build had a very specific set of criteria (floated off the ground, vaulted ceiling, external insulation, mezzanine floor, use only wood and metal, absolute minimum of off the shelf parts) which rather forced it to be costly and complicated. I wouldn't recommend that anyone copies it, although I am pleased with the result.

Continental Ops advice is good. Listermint is also a great source of sensible advice. Particularly buying windows and doors.

Fiddly stuff is your enemy, time wise. I spent more time fitting hinges than I did framing the thing.

Just been out and measured some timbers. I always have to check because I always get it wrong might be because nominal sizes are just that nominal.

The actual real finished size of most of the timber I use making a shed and the nearest woodyard that makes sheds use is 1 1/4" by 2 7/8". That size is perfectly suitable for all the main timbers in a shed of any length up to 16 ft wide.

The 1 1/4" by 2 7/8" size of timber is used for the base under the floor and all the main framing.

The side walls are 1.8m high (sorry to mix measurements so 71 inches) not sure why exactly as thats an odd sort of size even with 6 foot timbers only being 71 inches considering you gain another 2 1/2inches with the sole plate and top plate. However adding height at the sides increases the number of expensive shiplap boards you use.

Sides have approx 18 4 inch boards (thats min coverage not the actual size of the board and takes into account the overlap) one board goes on the base and 17 on the sides sometimes plus a bit. With 5 inch coverage thats 14 boards plus a bit. Shiplap varies and rarely goes on perfectly so there is going to be some variation in the size you need to cut the last board.

If you like I can go through a complete build process but it will take a very long time and be over maybe a couple of weeks of posts. Problem is sat in front of a computer I forget the sizes of things and how they go together without having the actual timber in front of me plus explaining what is very simple in practice takes a lot of words.

My process would be.

Build one section of base (4ft by 10 or 12ft)
    level one base on blocks
    use that base as a clean work surface to make 3 more bases.
    put down rest of blocks and level all the bases up together
    make up four 8ft by 71 inch high side sections flat on the base (that size one person can handle)
    move and store the side sections
    make up your two end sections flat on the base
    move off and store end sections
    make up x number of roof sections again on the base, apply torch on felt (x could be 4 or 8 depending on help for lifting available)
    make up roof trusses - they are very simple
    make up door - a pain
    make up corner covers - can be done later
    ASSEMBLE and burn on foot wide strips of torch on felt over the ridge and joins in the roof.

I've not mentioned windows because I hate doing the windows. If you can get some second hand ones then allow for them when making the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I was thinking about making the sides, and then hoisting them and adding the roof.. :eek: :o
    The idea started as a pallet shed after seeing some youtube videos at the start of the summer, and for various reasons it was delayed. Now the pallet idea is gone after readoig some more, but as much as I would love Lumens build, mine will be more of the simple, cheaper variety.

Just my 2 cents but your comment really seems like you're considering this as though you're uncertain of your own solid plan of attack.

I really wouldn't be trying to objectively analyse this process from scratch and reinventing wheels to get to where I want to be.

There are tonnes of Youtube videos which show the process in full and follow a sequence of steps that people have found through their own experience make the build quick, easy, manageable and the result sturdy and long-lasting.

• Advertisement

I should have said that my construction methods are brought about by only having a small (short) trailer so I can carry 8 by 4 sheets and a maximum of 12 ft lengths of timber. Working on my own I find I find making up smaller sections makes them much easier to handle and assemble.

If anyone plans to make a 16ft long shed with 16ft long timbers they need to realise that if they order 16ft lengths for the base they will be 3 inches short (nominal size) so plans not to cut down any 8 x 4 foot sheets of plywood (you'd think 6 would fit the floor of a 16 x 12 shed exactly) would be thwarted.

A lot to look at. I have watched a few videos and some seem to contradict, and others seem to be for a more 'outdoor office' type build.
    Great advice there The Continental Op, making the base in sections. I had seen similar in this video, but never thought of using the base as a work area. Love that idea :D

@Mango Joe, I often get told that :D I never seem to have much of a plan, but I do know which direction I am going, just have a roundabout way of explaining how I plan on getting there. :D
    I have few methods in my head after over indulging in videos that show different ways, but I think I'm pretty sure I will start with the base sections as The Continental Op said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Here’s my effort. Happy to help with info sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHBc6fDTrU

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Yep, I am working in feet and inches....... :pac::o

I think
    8 of 16' lengths of 4x2 (required for larger base) for the floor frame
    8 of 10'or 12' lengths of 4x2 also for the floor frame
    4 of 8' x 4' of ½ inch thick plywood
    6 of 16' lengths of 2x1 for the sides.

In my opinion i wouldn't go with 2x1 to frame the sides, i think that will be a bit flimsy and won't give you much room for insulation. Same with the floor, i'd go 18mm plywood

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Fair play dodzy, great video and project. What roof did you use and had you much space between back boundary wall and garden room ?

A lot to look at. I have watched a few videos and some seem to contradict, and others seem to be for a more 'outdoor office' type build.
    Great advice there The Continental Op, making the base in sections. I had seen similar in this video, but never thought of using the base as a work area. Love that idea :D

A far nicer shed than I'd ever made and bigger than my technique allows for but certainly one of the best videos and methodologies I've seen.

My walls would just be covered in breathable membrane then covered in shiplap. Then insulate with cheap fiber glass wool with 4mm plywood sheeting on the inside of the frame after its been finished.

A far nicer shed than I'd ever made and bigger than my technique allows for but certainly one of the best videos and methodologies I've seen.

My walls would just be covered in breathable membrane then covered in shiplap. Then insulate with cheap fiber glass wool with 4mm plywood sheeting on the inside of the frame after its been finished.
    I won't be building anything like the one in that video either :)
    It was just that I had seen the sectioning of the base in that video, and you mentioned it too.

I'll be pretty much doing the same as you mentioned here (thanks). I just wish I had done it the last time I had time off in May/June.

Some great advice here and videos. I only got the chance to skim over it last night so i hadn't read everything properly and again today. I am off tomorrow and going to price everything hopefully.

IF all goes well and weather holds up etc. hopefully the timber will arrive by next week and will be there when I get off. I am starting to think it's a bit of madness to try this during winter, but I am hoping the weather will be handleable, and the sectioning (as mentioned by The Continental Op) will make it easier.

What is the best (or a good affordable) timber to order for the base sections. I'm not fully sure of the different types of treatments.
    Also any breathable membrane and insulation that anyone would recommend to keep costs down.

I have looked and priced a few places for shiplap. Is there anywhere that anyone would recommend?

Standard treated construction timber is fine.

If you're using joist hangers make sure you're precise about the dimensions and clear with the supplier about your requirements; planed timber is smaller dimensions than rough.

I have to say I much prefer nails for framing. One often overlooked advantage is that because they're a bit bendy you can use a lump hammer to fix small alignment issues.

But a decent tarp large enough to cover the whole structure as you build, and also consider lights to lengthen your working day. At least a decent head torch.

Robin Clevette's recent YouTube videos on framing are good, to see how a professional works. Particularly the way he squares stuff up without a tape measure.

Whereabouts are you? For supplier recommendations.

Also, maybe post a list of the main tools you'll be using. Probably my most unnecessary purchase was a mitre saw. I love using it but could easily do without.

Nail guns are appealing if you're experienced but TBH I preferred to just go at it slowly with a hammer. Nailing is not time consuming in the grand scheme of things.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you're just looking to build a typical garden shed then I wouldn't bother with a window, or if you do want one then generally they just have a perspex panel in the wall. Nothing fancy.

Windows reduce possible storage space.

• Advertisement

I won't be building anything like the one in that video either :)
    It was just that I had seen the sectioning of the base in that video, and you mentioned it too.

I'll be pretty much doing the same as you mentioned here (thanks). I just wish I had done it the last time I had time off in May/June.

I think with a bit of scale reduction that video is a very good base for a method of construction, particularly if you want to keep the roof relatively simple.

The end walls with the slope are made dead easy when made up like that flat on the floor of the base.

Edit - Love the way the guy is using a Parkside (Lidl) miter saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Are you steadfast on using timber cladding for walls ? I'm doing a shed shortly and have opted for a composite board - maintenance free. More expensive for sure but a lifetime job and no annual painting. I got mine from Timber Ireland. They have a few colour options.

DIY KING wrote: »
    Fair play dodzy, great video and project. What roof did you use and had you much space between back boundary wall and garden room ?
    Cheers. I intentionally left a perimeter for access of approx 2' (I needed it anyway to fit the PVC cladding but I prefer that design vs wall to wall). The intention was to store garden tools behind - the overhanging roof provides the added bonus of keeping this area dry so it's handy.

Roof was EPDM over 18mm sheets of OSB (same sheeting as the floor) with 11mm used for walls. 6x2 treated for floor and roof; 4x2 for walls. Structure is approx 20' x 8' x 8' with pitch of approx 1:15.

dodzy wrote: »
    Cheers. I intentionally left a perimeter for access of approx 2' (I needed it anyway to fit the PVC cladding but I prefer that design vs wall to wall). The intention was to store garden tools behind - the overhanging roof provides the added bonus of keeping this area dry so it's handy.

Roof was EPDM over 18mm sheets of OSB (same sheeting as the floor) with 11mm used for walls. 6x2 treated for floor and roof; 4x2 for walls. Structure is approx 20' x 8' x 8' with pitch of approx 1:15.

Keeping that back wall dry can make a massive difference to how long the shed lasts. Unpainted shiplap up close to a wall can stay damp and rots surprisingly quickly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think with a bit of scale reduction that video is a very good base for a method of construction, particularly if you want to keep the roof relatively simple.

The end walls with the slope are made dead easy when made up like that flat on the floor of the base.

Edit - Love the way the guy is using a Parkside (Lidl) miter saw.

I think the simplest roof would be a pent style shed. We went for this style over the traditional roof as it's not as tall a structure, so casts less shadow.

6-x-8-Rustic-Pent.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    Standard treated construction timber is fine.

If you're using joist hangers make sure you're precise about the dimensions and clear with the supplier about your requirements; planed timber is smaller dimensions than rough.

I have to say I much prefer nails for framing. One often overlooked advantage is that because they're a bit bendy you can use a lump hammer to fix small alignment issues.

But a decent tarp large enough to cover the whole structure as you build, and also consider lights to lengthen your working day. At least a decent head torch.

Robin Clevette's recent YouTube videos on framing are good, to see how a professional works. Particularly the way he squares stuff up without a tape measure.

Whereabouts are you? For supplier recommendations.

Also, maybe post a list of the main tools you'll be using. Probably my most unnecessary purchase was a mitre saw. I love using it but could easily do without.

Nail guns are appealing if you're experienced but TBH I preferred to just go at it slowly with a hammer. Nailing is not time consuming in the grand scheme of things.
    Thanks for all of that, I will be building the shed near donabate, so would prefer to get the timber delivered there. I was thinking of screwing the frame as it might be easier to disassemble at a later date, but that isn't something I am stuck on,

I have looked up a few nail guns on amazon and screwfix, but again, it was just something I was looking up, not stuck on.
    As for a list of main tools for the shed.. :o
    I have a track saw (never used), a saw, hammer, lump hammer, drills, screwdrivers and that's about it that I can think of. I would of course buy any tools that might be recommended I need. I have head torch, never used :) And I have been looking at large tarps.
    Would joist hangers be preferred? I thought about joints. If using joist hangers, do you mean give their size to the supplier?
    I will be looking up those youtube videos.
    I got nothing done today (for the shed) as I didn't realise how much stuff I had to do today overall.
    DIY KING wrote: »
    Are you steadfast on using timber cladding for walls ? I'm doing a shed shortly and have opted for a composite board - maintenance free. More expensive for sure but a lifetime job and no annual painting. I got mine from Timber Ireland. They have a few colour options.
    No, not steadfast on anything yet. I guess I am weighing up options at the minute, although I do prefer the look of the shiplap. Thanks, I will look them up.
    awec wrote: »
    I think the simplest roof would be a pent style shed. We went for this style over the traditional roof as it's not as tall a structure, so casts less shadow.
    That's the type of roof I think I will go for too for the same reasons. I am planning on having vegetables growing on the west side of the shed.

Keeping that back wall dry can make a massive difference to how long the shed lasts. Unpainted shiplap up close to a wall can stay damp and rots surprisingly quickly.
    All external cladding is pvc. Cheap as chips, better looking, and maintenance free :)

All external cladding is pvc. Cheap as chips, better looking, and maintenance free :)
    Where can you get that?

Where can you get that?

Another lad here put me onto him. He was doing a similar build but was ahead of me in terms of schedule so it was great to get the contact. Name is Don; sound lad to deal with. Collect in Ballymount ind est. He is on adverts:

https://touch.adverts.ie/other-building-materials/cladding/19940840

He has a great range of colours and all the finishing trims for a professional effect. Here’s a few snaps of the stuff on mine:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114051950&postcount=299

• Advertisement

Another lad here put me onto him. He was doing a similar build but was ahead of me in terms of schedule so it was great to get the contact. Name is Don; sound lad to deal with. Collect in Ballymount ind est. He is on adverts:

https://touch.adverts.ie/other-building-materials/cladding/19940840

He has a great range of colours and all the finishing trims for a professional effect. Here’s a few snaps of the stuff on mine:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114051950&postcount=299
    Thanks for that, I think that is the way I might go.
    Base (sectioned) plywood floor, frame, plywood, membrane and pvc cladding.

I'm not sure about how to go about the roof yet though. I know the type, not sure how to execute.
    Or where may be the best place to source the timber from. I don't know. Yikes. :o

I was thinking of shiplap directly on to frame, and that was cheap, from another crowd on adverts.
    The PVC cladding looks like it may be a better option, but I haven't looked at the price per size properly yet.
    I would like to start it at the end of this week, how long would I need to put order in for timber etc.?

Advertisement