Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options
  • 18-04-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,I have decided to start a training log as I enjoy reading other peoples so maybe people will enjoy reading mine, any advice would be warmly welcome, a little backround I first started running in 2001 to 2002 in order to loose weight and just found that I loved it and became an addict.
    A few race times from that period are 21/7/02 Irish runner 5 mile 33:49
    07/8/02 Naas 4 mile 25:56
    06/07/2002 5K Phoenix pk 20:10
    25/08/2002 Longford marathon 4:37
    07/09/2002 cityswift 10 mile 69:17
    I was gutted not to break 20 in the 5k but I ran a mountain race 3 days earlier in Maulin which wrecked me. After doing the Longford marathon which really broke my love of running and gave me a slight knee problem, I tried one more race but in the last mile of that cityswift my knee went again and I limped over the line.
    The lessons I learned where valuable 1:Don't do all your training on the road, 2: buy good runners and change them every 2,3 months and 3: not every training session should be hard and against the clock.
    I;m currently into week 9 of my training which is 6 days a week and a crosstrain day.
    Mon: easy 4 mile followed by a tabata protocol and alot of stretching
    Tue: Indoor football
    Wed: 4 Mile which includes 1/4 mile fast,1/4 mile slow and a 1 mile test at max speed
    Thur: easy 3 mile
    Fri: 5 mile of hills
    Sat:4 mile easy
    Sun slow 7 mile
    I own a garmin 305 which is an excellent tool helps me get my distance spot on.I'm currently trying to lose a few more pounds I'm 5:9 and 172 lbs was 183lbs at week 1.
    I have done 2 races to date the paddys day 5k in 26:33 which does not correspond with the website results. and the great Ireland run in 54:52, my next race probably the rte 5 mile if not I have already registered for the 5 mile classic in the middle of May.
    My main objective this year is an injury free Dublin marathon in 4 hours, I plan to start the Hal Higdon intermediate 2 program on the 23rd of June.
    I have recently given up work to be a stay at home dad, I also have a treadmill whish I use for my traing, its great when I bring the oldest to school she is 4 the other watches her cartoons for an hour,she is a good girl.She is 2.I'll keep you guys informed as much as possible, Really enjoy sungods,ike,robbicosta,amadeus,hunnymonster and many others.

Ignore table 28/4/2012

|400m Bronze|400m Silver|400m Gold||800m Bronze|800m Silver|800m Gold||1500m/1m Bronze|1500m/1m Silver|1500m/1m Gold|

|62:83|58:75|55:30||2:24|2:15|2:07||4:59/5:22|4:40/5:01|4:23/4:44|

|3k Bronze|3k Silver|3k Gold||5k Bronze|5k Silver|5k Gold||10k Bronze|10k Silver|10k Gold|

|10:48|10:05|9:28||18:31|17:17|16:15||39:53|37:03|34:39|

|10m Bronze|10m Silver|10m Gold||HM Bronze|HM Silver|HM Gold||Marathon Bronze|Marathon Silver|Marathon Gold|

|1:06:17|1:01:31|0:57:30||1:28:25|1:21:59|1:16:34||3:13:56|2:59:06|2:46:35|

Post edited by robinph on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

the title running is easy is taken from a book I enjoy by Bruce Tulloh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hello Woodle best of luck in your quest. Looking forward to your logs.
    You seem very focused so that is a great benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good man Woddle, nice to see another runner keeping a log, all going well I'll be at the start line in Dublin looking for a 4 hour marathon as well :D. My other half works odd hours including every second weekend so combined that with 2 kids I did'nt think I'd be able to get a consistant routine going, but planning and determination are definately the key.

Setting mini goals for myself along the way is another way of keeping the focus, be it weight loss, faster times etc. My next goal is to go under 50mins for a 10k. 3 good lessons you've learned there as well, keep us informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Welcome mate its great to have another runner here, looking forward to reading your log too. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi woddle like the posts say above great to have another runners log here.i did the higdon intermediate 2 programme as well and cos you are already training 6 days and a cross train you should find that programme really suits. any way best of luck, looking forward to reading your log i get as much of a kick out of reading other peoples logs as i do keeping my own, good luck

• Advertisement

Not long in now from my 5 miles, I was so uninterested in going,I had planned to go at 3:15 cause I like the boos and movie slot on newstalk, but my wife was late home from work, but she still made me go at 6.
    Found it tough.
    As a rule I never stop during a run, I never let the mind battles win , today going up a hill in marley park I really wanted to stop but probably wouldn't have but right then on cue comes journy singin don't stop believin so I dug down deep, I guess thats one advantage of ipods in training. Tomorrow easy 4 in the morning.
    and thanks for all your supportive comments and I'll be supporting you guys alot more vocally i the future

this morning I did just an easy 30 mins on the treadmill while watching an episode of the biggest loser, great motivation, did it early enough to give my body as much of a break as possible before tomorrows long run, have yet to do 7 miles so can't wait for it

Not fair you get to run 30 minutes while watching the telly!!! - I had a gale force wind!!!!! :D:D:D

I had a bit of a wind with me most of this morning,hope that makes up for yesterday morning Ike.I did the 7 Miles in 64 mins, so I was quite happy had to stop myself a few times from running faster, home and showered all before 10 am, It brought my weekly total to 30 miles so next weeks training I'll do what I've written above and bring it back down a little, feeling good though.

well after yesterdays run I thought the family deserved a takeaway, after I ate it I felt so bad ,a 9 inch pizza and chips and of course coke all for me.
    I had been doing so well nutrionally, so this morning brought the little one to playschool, got a bowl of fruit for the other one and put enchanted on for her and then into my room, for 10 mins on rower, 20 mins on the bike and easy 30 on the treadmill, hopefully that will make some kind of peace with myself for last night,
    Its been great been able to add the bike to my schedule, for my bday my mam(still a mammys boy at 29) bought me this eco rider or something you put your normal racing bike on to this stand and off you cycle indoors while watching all nee er(I know sad but I need to watch sth,I find the treadmill so boring)

• Advertisement

full of energy this morning but it's a cross training day,so I have to stop myself from going on the treadmill.It's indoor football tonight.
    I have decided that I want to sort out my differences with the Longford marathon.So I have signed up for a rematch. So my marathon training started yesterday, 18 weeks of Hal Higdon intermediate 2 program.
    And this time I'm going to kick Longfords ass.
    My disappointment with running Longford in 2002 is something that always plays on my mind from time to time, the truth of what happened was that I was signed up for and training for the Dublin Marathon, when my uncle invited me up to Longford to run the marathon, I was only two months into my marathon training but I didn't respect the distance and struggled, got injured and quit running soon after.
    So with a new spring in my step and a full 18 weeks of dedicated marathon training, it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey woddle,

This is some enthuasiastic reading I gotta admit, fair play to you. Running is the bain of my life, with a 4k time of 20 minutes this stuff is very impressive,

Will be keeping an eye on this one, your enthuasiasm and banter may help keep me motivated,

Good man,

Really enjoyed indoor football last night, and this has probably been the first morning after indoor that I have woken up and not been stiff.
    Went out with a friend for a 5 mile run, we did it in 45 mins so good session. I would say we look quite funny runing together, he' 6ft 5 and I'm struggling for 5 ft 9.
    I plan to meet up with him again for a speed session on Friday. According to my schedule it should be a rest day, but I feel like I need to get some speed in. I have attached what I'm hoping to do in training, it's Hals intermediate 2 with a slight adjustment and now with an added Friday speed session.
    Any suggestions feel free to let me know

hi woddle ,great stuff so far and your programme looks good, great that your getting a few races in as well if you could get one longer race in ,a 10 miler or 1/2 marathon it would be ideal but if not no harm done .
    nothing wrong with a bit of speed work but i would try keep your fridays as a rest day cos the weekends will take a lot out of you especially as you progress.
    anyway so far so good ,im enjoying your log keep it up

sungod

well my wife told me she is going out Friday night and would like to have a ly in on Saturday, So I won't be racing Sat morning, it's a bit unfair of me anyway, because I take Sunday morning aswell for my long run.
    So I made my own race up today and went all out.
    4 mile course, no walkman and basically I set the garmin to beep every 1/4 of a mile, and my aim was to be under 2 minutes every time it beeped, I won 10 - 6 but the watch was making a good comeback towards the end, so glad the 4 miles ended when it did.
    I did it in 31:32, so it still puts me on course for a sub 40 in the sportsworld 5 mile classic.
    I ran at a bad time though,4 o clock the schools where finishing up, and as I passed each group, I could here laughter and was wondering our they laughing at me in paticular my tomatoe coloured face, and after 3 and 3/4 miles I got some advice from one of the groups, 'move your arms more', I couldn't even if I wanted to, I was nackered.
    Appreciate the advice sungod, I might start incorporating the speed sessions into Thursdays run and make them longer and then take Friday off.

Nice going again! Breaking the 40 min for 5 miles should be no bother to you it was a mini target for me and once I broke the time I've done it every time since. SUNGOD is right about the speed sessions, maybe as an alternative seeing as you have a threadmill at home you could try a hill session like the one I'm doing. I remember waaaayyyy back when I was in secondary school being told that hill sessions are sprints in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Keep it going Woddle, reckon you should defo the 5 mile in under 40 mins soon. I really like the shorter runs and like to do them on hills if possible(well I have no choice where I live here in Portlaw, Waterford!).. It really helps my endurance on the longer runs too..

Cormac

http://myspace.com/thejutefactory

Well I took Friday off based on the advice of you guys and the fact that the 9th of April was my last full rest day.
    Another reason for yesterdays rest, I bought the wii fit for the family, my girls and wife have ideal Bmi not me though, 25.44, but will get there.
    5 miles on the treadmill this morning, felt sooo long but I wanted a real good rest from the road before tomorrows 8 mile.
    My friend reckons he'll accompany me on the first 6 anyway tomorrow.

What a morning for a run,I enjoyed this run the most since I've started back, I left the house at 8:30, nobody else really out, bar a few cyclists.
    I had an 8 mile run planned but it turned into a 9 1/4 miles because I just didn't want to finish, I ended up running on my own this morning, my friend cancelled, I'll assume alcohol was involved.
    It took me nearly an hour and a half and my average hr was 156, I'm 29, and alot of the run was done running up mountain roads,
    When I got home I stretched for about half an hour, got my wife to help me, and when stretching my hamstring she noticed a huge difference, my left was very tight, so I'll concentrate alot more on this, and I reckon this is the cause of soreness I get sometimes in my left knee. Example todays run after mile 1 and until mile 2, just under my left knee I got a pain, not the kind of pain that would make you stop, it cleared at mile 2 and I never looked back.
    This has happened about 4 or 5 times in the last 3 weeks. so I hope its just a matter of stretching that hamstring.

Nice run, Woddle, it was beautiful down here in Waterford too today..Like yourself my left leg needs much more stretching. I also ice it up and massage it quite a bit. Works for me anyway:)

Cormac

• Advertisement

Thanks Zeppe, when the long runs get even longer, I do plan to go and get a good sports massage, Theres a place in Sundrive Crumlin, Cant remember the name for the life of me, but in 2002 I found them excellent.
    I felt good this morning no aches or pains at all, slightly surprised.
    Didn't want to go out for a run today, I had the house to myself, so I put on season 6 UFC and started with 10 mins on the rower, 20 mins on the bike and 30 mins on the treadmill.
    I introduced running with weight today, might do this once a week, just ran with a dumbell bar in each hand, I hate doing weights, but its a start,:D
    No seriously going to start doing weights on a Tue and Friday, especially exercises to work on my core, my core has always been my weak spot,

I ended up taking Tuesday off, the whole family woke up sick, I however was the only one to have it in both ends, lovely picture I know.
    I got sick for the last time at half one in the morning and from that point on started to feel better, so this evening went on a 5.5 mile hilly run with my friend, my heart rate was more elevated than normal for the pace we were running, happy we did it and actually feeling non the worse for it.
    I had some good news aswell, my friend is in Chicago for the week so I asked him to pick me up the garmin forerunner 405 with hr. so he did for 385 dollars which is 245 euro, a whole 145 euro cheaper than some irish websites are selling it for.The reason I bought it is that I love gadgets, I don't really waste money on anything else, so gadgets are my treat, I loved my garmin 305 but it stopped communicating with the computer.
    He ain't back till Sunday so will have to wait.

hi woddle im just asking a few of the other runners logs what kind of surfaces do they do most of their running on, road ,grass ,trail ,track? i do the majority of mine on road . and im trying to vary it as too much road cant be good for me

Well as I told sungod, I was waiting for my wife to come home so I could go to the park, she was suppose to be home for 7, so I got dressed and warmed up and stretched, she came home at 9, I was so warmed up and stretched it was unreal, so I set out with the target of 1/2 mile warmup to be followed with 8 x 0.25 miles fast with 0.25 miles recovery,
    0.50 mile 4:21 Warm up
    0.25 mile 1:41 fast
    0.25 mile 2:03 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:38 fast
    0.25 mile 2:04 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:42 fast
    0.25 mile 2:05 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:43 fast
    0.25 mile 2:06 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:39 fast
    0.25 mile 2:18 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:45 fast
    0.25 mile 2:21 recovery
    0.25 mile 1:45 fast
    0.25 mile 2:17 recovery
    1.00 mile 9:13 Cool down
    As some of you might notice I only did 7 of the 8, I miscounted, not to sure how that happened, I know of a method where you use your first lap as the letter A and then think of words starting with A and then lap 2 is B and so on, but that involves too much thinking for me.
    Day of tomorrow so I'm goin to try and come up with a weights program for Tue and Fridays.

I took yesterday off, hoping to be refreshed for the weekends running, but the little one was up most of the night puking, so I was quite tired.
    Kept it simple 4 miles around the park in 36 mins, hated every minute of it. glad its over.
    Roll on tomorrow.

I felt in much better form running today,left the house at 8:30, it was nice and warm, so went with shorts and t-shirt.it was a good choice.
    I ran for 10.3 miles, ran it slowly in 1 hr 38.
    Feel quite stiff but am happy.
    I should have my new forerunner 405 by tomorrow, so my 305 who has been so loyal, it wasn't you, it was me, I didn't put in as much effort as you did, so for now we can go are seperate ways and have a fresh start.
    I'm giving it to my friend, he's earned it over the last little while, so I know it will have a happy home.
    Also on todays run I thought I would say hello to my fellow runners this morning if I passed them. So the first guy gave me a nod back, the second two guys ignored me and I bailed on sayin hello to a couple of women, so next week I'll be back to my old self.Head down.

hi woddle yeah turned out a lovely morning alright, it was bad in waterford early on ,we headed off at 8:30 but it got nicer and nicer as the morning wore on.
    must be frustrating out running in good form ,waving at fellow runners and getting no response, it would'nt kill people to smile and say hi
    its a little different down here as you tend to meet the same people out most weekends training and again at local races so even if you dont know there names you would still feel like ya know them and usually get a wave off them.
    even though in saying that i have smiled and waved at lone woman runners before and have gotten a look like im a pervert ......................then again maybe i am ;)

Where I train, I never see any other runners although all the people living on the country roads know me by now and salute me most times. Its nice, I guess its a country thing..

So many reasons to go for a long run today and punish myself

1 The wife has the day off work
    2 I got my new watch, it's deadly
    3 Got drunk last night, my first time drinking since the great Ireland run
    4 I ate a whole packet of mikado biscuits.
    5 Didn't do anything yesterday.

So I just finished 9.25 miles and it felt great, weather was beautiful.
    Also have indoor football tonight, so it will be interesting to see if my legs recover in time.

• Advertisement

I'm heading to wexford for the weekend, so I got up at 5:50 to go on a long run, kind of like a double session cause I don't want to ruin the weekend with thoughts of I have to get out today and run.
    So things where going well until mile 4 when my shin started to pain me, it was sore after Tuesdays indoor football, so I finished the run early, only problem was I was up a mountain and 2.5 miles from home, so I kept running, So 6.5 miles done and very sore, have been icing it all morning. Im goin to take tomorrow and Sat off and see how I go on Sunday.
    I'll have to consider giving up the football, but its also a good training session.
    I wore my hr monitor for the hour and I averaged 158 beats.
    Have a nice weekend everybody

Advertisement