Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton ghost shipwreck. Still there. What would you do?

Options
  • 02-03-2021 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Me. Surely 5 or 6 tug boats could pull it out to see and they could then sink it for the fish. Not that hard to do surely. That is what tug boats are for pulling ships.
    So what would you do with that ship wreck in cork?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

AMKC wrote: »
    Me. Surely 5 or 6 tug boats could pull it out to see and they could then sink it for the fish. Not that hard to do surely. That is what tug boats are for pulling ships.
    Had a google: "Aine also told us that there has been no word of the ship being moved since it was announced that it would cost around €10 million to do so"

O...k...

Just leave it so. Wildlife will make it a happy home, if inaccessible to local gurriers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

As a keyboard warrior I’d hunt down the company who owns the ship and get them to sort it out. In real life, I’ll just curse them, their mothers, and their second cousins twice removed.

Or else give it a camouflage paint job so it disappears in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Hop on it for the craic and pretend I'm Denis Hopper from Waterworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,461 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's in really bad condition now, couldn't be towed out and sunk, it's about to split in two, the time to dispose of it out in the depths of the Atlantic was this time last year. They estimate €10 million to dispose of it, probably €30 million knowing this country when they discover it has the 'wrong' type of steel. There would have been outcry from the environmentlal groups if they towed it out and sunk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Leave it, The Michael which ran aground on Tramore strand in about 1977 was there rotting away for years, did no harm and was a bit of feature esp if you were called Michael and stood below the stern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

No point is wasting money and paying others to remove it.

Maybe the Navy could have spotted it before it came ashore ;-) but I guess we would spend big money paying contractors to assess it and give us a report.

Meantime Navy too poorly funded etc. to stop this happening again..

Greenpeace are dropping big rocks in fishing grounds (North Sea) to prevent trawlers destroying everything on the seabed etc - so the ideal solution would be to have more seabed wrecks that actually help protect fish.

Wonder why RTE don't ask the navy or Marine Institute and wonder how such a ship just drifted ashore without being noticed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any treasure on board? "me hearties"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,461 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The before and after damage is bad...

Nice exploration of inside it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Chip van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...the time to dispose of it out in the depths of the Atlantic was this time last year. ....

That ship has sailed...for the last time....no moving it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It has been said on another forum that the owner notified the Marine authorities that it had been lost at sea and Notices to Mariners were subsequently put out to warn shipping that it was out in the Atlantic. It was spotted by other countries as well our own Navy, even before it came into our waters, so other people had the chance to sink it or salvage it before us. At least the Council got the oil and other contaminants out of it before now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Stovepipe wrote: »
    It has been said on another forum that the owner notified the Marine authorities that it had been lost at sea and Notices to Mariners were subsequently put out to warn shipping that it was out in the Atlantic. It was spotted by other countries as well our own Navy, even before it came into our waters, so other people had the chance to sink it or salvage it before us. At least the Council got the oil and other contaminants out of it before now.

I’d love to know more behind that logic.
    “-There’s a wreck drifting across the Atlantic.
    - Alright so. Ah yeah there it is. Cool.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think there's quite a few abandoned ships floating around, and containers and other shipping hazards. Ocean is big they reappear from time to time.

There's a list here..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_ship#Historically_attested this one is the last in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oink wrote: »

I think its that if a naval ship came across it and sank it off the coast or mid atlantic youd suddenly find theres an owner popping up looking for compo for the prized ship in their fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

beauf wrote: »
    I think there's quite a few abandoned ships floating around, and containers and other shipping hazards. Ocean is big they reappear from time to time.

There's a list here..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_ship#Historically_attested this one is the last in the list.

loadsa containers floating around. good few alone lost off a japanese ship in the pacific late last year

https://twitter.com/connorhelm/status/1334268904886194182

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

neris wrote: »
    loadsa containers floating around. good few alone lost off a japanese ship in the pacific late last year

https://twitter.com/connorhelm/status/1334268904886194182

More importantly my $24 dash-cam was on that ship ffs... :mad:

A lot of the higher containers are empty, as the heaviest ones are in the hold. The problem for mariners is that containers can float, just barely below the surface and can't be seen on radar or are not seen until it's too late and ships run into them. As for abandoned ships, look up the Japanese fishing boats that were swept out to sea after the big tsunami there and turned up on the American West coast. Also, if a ghost ship is drifting, it will go where currents and wind will take it so it can wander around the oceans for ages, until it is sunk by a storm or runs aground.

Hop on it for the craic and pretend I'm Denis Hopper from Waterworld.

Cool.

I'll be Kevin Costner.

AMKC wrote: »

Even drag it a couple 100m offshore and let it sink. Coukd be a dive site and reef for juvenile fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Cool.

I'll be Kevin Costner.

Great film.

Massively underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ship is listed as 2,295 gross tonnes / 1640 deadweight tonnes. But that's the volume / weight of the cargo. So guess 2/3rds the weight of cargo which gives circa 1,000 tonnes.

Scrap steel isn't worth all that much. And the price changes all the time.

It'll break up in a few years. So if the council sets up a committee to agree the terms for the tender for the environmental impact survey the problem could sort itself before they have to spend real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oink wrote: »

The UK's navy saw it and tried to call it over radio but didn't get a response as it had been abandoned by the crew. So they saw it and did nothing, our navy never saw it till in hit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some urban explorer gobshyte is going to break his leg fooling around on it and then attempt to sue the co council.

Some urban explorer gobshyte is going to break his leg fooling around on it and then attempt to sue the co council.

This "urban explorer" will then claim for broken limbs in claims court stating he was an "expert".

This shipwreck cannot be airlifted by helicopter like that bus in the Alaskan wilderness either.

blow it apart and speed up the process. A few hundred pounds of explosive in the right places and it'll be done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Stovepipe wrote: »
    blow it apart and speed up the process. A few hundred pounds of explosive in the right places and it'll be done away with.

Youd need a feasibility study, archaeologists need to come out to make sure you dont accidentally blow up some washed up relics. Wild life study to count how many crabs are likely to perish as collateral and if any are endangered. Pay off all the residents who are planning a peaceful nights sleep on the day of the explosion. Fully qualified and insured demolition team to be flown in from abroad because nobody here knows how to do it legally, all forms of legal explosion-based demolition having been heavily suppressed by the government since the troubles. 50 armed guards to be paid overtime on the day in case the demolition crew are in fact IRA men disguised as contractors.

All in all cheaper to build a brand new ship from virgin steel and bring it back to the owners of the wrecked one for free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

Youd need a feasibility study, archaeologists need to come out to make sure you dont accidentally blow up some washed up relics. Wild life study to count how many crabs are likely to perish as collateral and if any are endangered. Pay off all the residents who are planning a peaceful nights sleep on the day of the explosion. Fully qualified and insured demolition team to be flown in from abroad because nobody here knows how to do it legally, all forms of legal explosion-based demolition having been heavily suppressed by the government since the troubles. 50 armed guards to be paid overtime on the day in case the demolition crew are in fact IRA men disguised as contractors.

All in all cheaper to build a brand new ship from virgin steel and bring it back to the owners of the wrecked one for free

Could you just get Martin Ferris down for the day from Tralee to look after it instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

It'll be up on Daft for 1400 a month. Sea views and natural surroundings.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    It'll be up on Daft for 1400 a month. Sea views and natural surroundings.

Raw health resort.

Hogan's Hulk?

• Advertisement

the thickest plate on that ship is probably no more than 3/4 of an inch. Linear shaped charges will cut it like a knife thru butter. Cut that ship into four pieces and wave action will take care of the rest. Plenty of demolition companies available in the Uk, and they have done work here. No need for expensive crowd control or cordons. Fired from inside the hull, only seagulls would notice it.

regards

Advertisement