Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton ghost shipwreck. Still there. What would you do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the thickest plate on that ship is probably no more than 3/4 of an inch. Linear shaped charges will cut it like a knife thru butter. Cut that ship into four pieces and wave action will take care of the rest. Plenty of demolition companies available in the Uk, and they have done work here. No need for expensive crowd control or cordons. Fired from inside the hull, only seagulls would notice it.

regards

It's not as simple as blow it up and let a bit of metal get washed away by the sea, there'll be tonnes of dangerous chemicals still on the boat. Have you seen the work that's required to get a boat ready to be sunk as a reef?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not as simple as blow it up and let a bit of metal get washed away by the sea, there'll be tonnes of dangerous chemicals still on the boat. Have you seen the work that's required to get a boat ready to be sunk as a reef?

so they dont need to do all that if they are leaving it to nature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so they dont need to do all that if they are leaving it to nature ?

This is why it's back in the news, they are trying to figure out what to do with it before it breaks up and releases the dangerous chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Did I hear correctly €10 million to remove it, if so absolutely ridiculous. I can't fathom (no pun intended), why cables can't be attached and pull it out off the coast and sink it, there's literally 10"s of thousands of ship wrecks at the bottom of the ocean, surely it would not cost €10 million to do this.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Del2005 wrote: »

It has already be drained of it's engine oil and other toxins by the council.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly €10 million to remove it, if so absolutely ridiculous. I can't fathom (no pun intended), why cables can't be attached and pull it out off the coast and sink it, there's literally 10"s of thousands of ship wrecks at the bottom of the ocean, surely it would not cost €10 million to do this.

I would suspect that that's a "****-off" price. No salvage firm would want to do it unless it's worth their while to get a tug there, connect it and drag the wreck off the rocks, so it's either someone chancing their arm with an inflated quote or it's priced way above par to piss off the Council.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Plassey on Inis Oírr (the rusty old boat from the start of Father Ted, for those of ye who've never visited the Aran Islands Gaeltacht ;) ) is a classic tourist attraction. I'd leave the thing where it is.

Not sure what the local fishing trawler crews would think.

Fishermen tend to be very aware of where wrecks are located and don't want to snag their nets on them. Conversely, fish tend to gather around wrecks as they generate new marine growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Maybe someone could ask the ghosts what THEY think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For future marine archologists of the year 2525 will thank us for keeping it in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Manach wrote: »
    For future marine archologists of the year 2525 will thank us for keeping it in situ.

Part of the hull is already after collapsing. It will be just a pile of rusted steel plating and an engine block long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I think I heard a comment on the news that the national museum had 30 days to comment on what should be done next so I expect with the bureacracy moving so slowly the plan is just to leave the heap of scrap in place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think I heard a comment on the news that the national museum had 30 days to comment on what should be done next so I expect with the bureacracy moving so slowly the plan is just to leave the heap of scrap in place.

Obviously the next move its to spend millions on an interpretative centre and paint double yellows on all local roads so people have park at the centre.

And the usual suspects can tender for the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

josip wrote: »
    Could you just get Martin Ferris down for the day from Tralee to look after it instead?

Ah jaysus shur we don't do easy. Think of all the millions that the council have collected from making people pay every year to live in their own houses - that money all needs to be spent now, think of all fat-bellied contractors whose S-class mercs need upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The before and after damage is bad...

Nice exploration of inside it...
    A YouTuber who makes parkour videos explored the ship last April too:

Advertisement