Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New RTE Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭vidapura

I have the Broadcast country and LG Services Country both set to Ireland and there is still no TG4 player.

Yah, me too.. my LG is a 2017 model ...I've the satellite zone set to UK so I get the EPG for the UK stations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

GIMP wrote: »
    I have a 2018 LG tv but it isn't present but is on the 2020 tv

I've sent TG4 an email requesting that they make it available to older smart tvs.Hope they respond!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Apologies Mods as the new TG4 player is what is being talked about recently on this thread

I set up a 2019 LG Smart TV - 32LM6300PLA - over the weekend for a relative and the new TG4 player is available through the Content Store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Rte player on our Samsung TV plays sounds for ads but a black screen, sometimes the show works, usuay a black screen though. Did this happen to anyone else lately? Our LG TV is fine.
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

RTE player not working on Sony android TV and lg TV. When you open it I get a black screen. Reinstalled it and it is the same. Anyone else having the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On the shield I rarely have a problem, but if I do I usually clear the cache.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/01/26/rte-player-down-after-9-people-attempt-to-stream-at-the-same-time/

Been trying the RTE player on a chromebook. The App is flaky often stuttering, but works fine from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

beauf wrote: »
    On the shield I rarely have a problem, but if I do I usually clear the cache.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/01/26/rte-player-down-after-9-people-attempt-to-stream-at-the-same-time/

Been trying the RTE player on a chromebook. The App is flaky often stuttering, but works fine from the website.

Thanks I will try clear the cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there a list of tellys it actually works on LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Installed the latest version from the Play Store on android device. It worked perfectly to catch up on Smother.

I couldn't believe it because of past experience!

Have they finally got it right or was it just a fluke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

RTE player not working on Sony android TV and lg TV. When you open it I get a black screen. Reinstalled it and it is the same. Anyone else having the issue.
    I've had similar issues as of late on a Sony Android TV. Clearing Cache + Data usually sorts issue, but didn't last night. Possible server issue on RTE side?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hitchens wrote: »
    Installed the latest version from the Play Store on android device. It worked perfectly to catch up on Smother.

I couldn't believe it because of past experience!

Have they finally got it right or was it just a fluke?
    Got a Now TV dongle a while back and am generally impressed with how the RTE Player is working on that. It really has come on in leaps & bounds in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Quackster wrote:
    Got a Now TV dongle a while back and am generally impressed with how the RTE Player is working on that. It really has come on in leaps & bounds in recent years.

Can you get live TV on it?

Jonathan wrote: »
    I've had similar issues as of late on a Sony Android TV. Clearing Cache + Data usually sorts issue, but didn't last night. Possible server issue on RTE side?

mines not working either on a samsuny and Lg TV :mad:

It plays the content with sound but no picture on the Samsung, and just a black screen on the lg when you open the app

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

Can you get live TV on it?

No.

Apparently its a work in progress. Don't understand why as the app for phone/tablet allows live viewing.

Had an issue with the antenna last year & to watch something live, I had to use chromecast from the phone to the telly because the nowtv version of the RTEplayer can't do it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Had this issue with my Samsung TV. After making numerous attempts to get it going, I phoned Samsung and gave them remote access to the TV. It took a while but they did a system re-set and I was then able to re-download the app and it’s now working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Works fine on my Sony television.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've got the RTE Player runnng on a Firestick 4k.

It's a bit temperamental sometimes but it does work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone side load the RTE Player on a Philips TV? I can't see it on the Android Store on my tv.

• Advertisement

Can't get live TV working on my Nvidia Shield by casting or by the app. It seems like they've purposely blocked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was trying to decide what to watch last night and, on the back of reeling in the years the other night, decided I'd go back to Love/Hate. Used the player on LG TV. Ads played perfectly, show started. Crashed after ~2 mins, so restarted. Ads played perfectly again (obviously they did) but show wouldn't work. Same issue on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dulpit wrote: »
    Was trying to decide what to watch last night and, on the back of reeling in the years the other night, decided I'd go back to Love/Hate. Used the player on LG TV. Ads played perfectly, show started. Crashed after ~2 mins, so restarted. Ads played perfectly again (obviously they did) but show wouldn't work. Same issue on mobile.

we've been using it on our newish LG TV to watch Line of Duty, and it's been working pretty well. In fact, a lot of the time, it pauses to go to an ad, the ad doesn't play, so it just resumes the show after about 1 second. I can live with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I haven’t used the RTÉ Player is a long time.

I watched the first episode of Smother yesterday on AppleTV and was pleasantly surprised that there were no ads.

I was about to watch episode 2 on my iPhone and there are now six ads before it even starts.

Is there certain times when there are no ads ? Or are there no ads on the app on AppleTV ? Or did o get no ads yesterday becasue I wasn’t signed in to the app?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve been watching Line of Duty on the Apple TV RTE Player, and there are no ads either. Curious. There are definitely ads on the iOS version.

As an aside the Apple TV version is one of the better versions of the RTE Player, but not without its flaws. (Play/pause button on the remote control randomly stops working for instance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Seems to be a general issue with no ads from RTE. Don't worry they will be back. None on the Virgin 360 RTE Player version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

icdg wrote: »
    I’ve been watching Line of Duty on the Apple TV RTE Player, and there are no ads either. Curious. There are definitely ads on the iOS version.

Is Line of Duty still available on the Player? I couldn't find it last week.

Just checked, it’s there right now. (Not series 6 mind).

Just checked, it’s there right now. (Not series 6 mind).

I sung the praises of the Apple TV version a while back, unfortunately nothing on it appears to be playing for me since Sunday or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I sung the praises of the Apple TV version a while back, unfortunately nothing on it appears to be playing for me since Sunday or thereabouts.

Mine was pretty much useless for live streaming for a long time. I’ve been watching the Euros and it’s been much better. Have you checked for updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Euros working perfectly for me using Chrome now.

• Advertisement

It’s back working oddly enough. I did nothing…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I was trying to fix a rte player issue on a 5 year Samsung smart ue32j5500, It starts up ok and navigates through to your selection , it plays the 3 ads and then just black screen. Is it safe to say it probably will never supported or updated on that TV again. Just so no time is to be wasted on it Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

rasper wrote: »
    I was trying to fix a rte player issue on a 5 year Samsung smart ue32j5500, It starts up ok and navigates through to your selection , it plays the 3 ads and then just black screen. Is it safe to say it probably will never supported or updated on that TV again. Just so no time is to be wasted on it Thanks

From the RTE Player website https://www.rte.ie/player/en_IE/profile/faq

"I'm having problems playing programmes on my Smart TV

Some Smart TVs (LG/Samsung) are no longer providing updates or support for this particular version of the operating system. As such, if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV. If possible, please update the software on your TV to the latest version"

Once you have the Red RTE Player on your Samsung TV, it should work as your model is from 2015

Is there any reason why the "watch live" option isn't available on a lg smart tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

lertsnim wrote: »
    Euros working perfectly for me using Chrome now.

For me too and also on Apple TV. It took a few years but they eventually got there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I'm casting from my phone and for some reason it only works for Rte 1,once I try switch to any other channel I get the rte player logo and it stops playing on my phone.

Anyone come across this particular issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anyone having any difficulties with the new version of the in-browser player for radio programme playbacks?

For me, every time the browser refreshes, it goes back to the start of the programme, which didn't happen with the older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Anyone got RTE player app on LG TV cant figure how to watch live, advice welcome thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Live TV isn't available on the LG TV RTÉ Player app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Thanks, at least Im not loopy, bit daft to offer it and not be able to watch live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

The app says that it doesn't offer live stream on smart TVs for licensing issues... Or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody having issues with rte player on Nvidia shield? Yesterday I had full access, today it's acting like I'm abroad and only access to Irish content. Have my Vpn disconnected, tried restarting but still have issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I have not used the RTÉ Player in a long time.

Is there advertising breaks on all the shows or is some like older content as free?

There are pre roll “adverts” on virtually all shows, including news. I put adverts in quotations because most times these are promos for RTE rather than commercial advertising. (I don’t mind pre roll commercials on catch-up/on demand stuff.I understand the service has to be paid for. I’m less happy with promos though).

There are mid-show adverts mainly on longer programmes. Not necessarily inserted where the live show would have its commercials, mind!

My pet peeve, as I’ve said before is the live streams. In my view these should be exactly the same as on other platforms. Instead you get pre-roll adverts/promos (which I hate in this context - it means you’re late joining the live stream, I’ve missed goals because of this) and then there’s the wierd thing how all commercials (except sponsor bumpers), idents, and presentation are stripped out and replaced with a really, really, annoying break filler with what can only be described as a “noise” as soundtrack (and I really can’t decide whether the RTE One or RTE2 one is worse, they are both different kinds of annoying). Now I could kind of understand why commercial breaks might need to be removed if the pre-roll advertising placed the service in danger of going over it’s allowed advertising minutes but I have no idea why the idents and promos are removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Strange thing I find is when you finish one episode of a TV programme, instead of continuing to the next episode, it starts showing the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

And people still have the nerve to accuse RTE of lacking innovation!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Rte player is a shared pain... Finish episode 1 and ot jumps to episode 3. Select episode 2 and it still picks 3.

The only solution i can find is to trick it by picking episode 1 again... it seems to never play the one you want, so it plays 2 then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just watching Glastonbury in crystal clear UHD on the BBC Iplayer with all stages available for selection live… my god they put RTÉ to shame with technical proficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I had a weird experience with the RTÉ Player a few months ago on someone else's Apple laptop. The ads played perfectly but the programme just wouldn't play. Apparently, the not quite up to date Chrome browser (maybe one update behind) and after I wouldn't update, I just used a bang up to date Firefox browser and it played perfectly. Still ads riddled (maybe an adblocker might help), but I suppose Tubs needs to be paid approaching twice what Pres Biden gets. I find other video sites are much more tolerant of a not quite up to date browser. One thing at least is that it looks vastly more impressive than the RTÉ Player, which was utterly terrible. Now it's just bad, which is a major improvement.

Advertisement