Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well that wasn't the greatest of successes.
    The mix with a few litres of molasses is fine and growing. But the seaweed only application is gone a bit yellow especially any younger grass.

A bit stronger and I'd have the answer to the round-up ban.

Too much salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Too much salt?

Too much something anyway.
    I had it well rinsed with the volume washer before it went into the tank.

Aw sure it could have been anything. Too much chlorine, iodine, etc, etc or bacteria,etc, etc.

The grass should grow through the phase.
    Dry weather wouldn't have helped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Smashing morning. No harsh breeze and a right good dew on the grass. Badly wanted.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Too much something anyway.
    I had it well rinsed with the volume washer before it went into the tank.

Aw sure it could have been anything. Too much chlorine, iodine, etc, etc or bacteria,etc, etc.

The grass should grow through the phase.
    Dry weather wouldn't have helped either.

When you say you had it rinsed - you mean the IBC or the sprayer?

Will you go again with it Say?

Very interested to see how it works out over time...

I rinsed out both. The stuff mixed with molasses in the sprayer, the grass never got checked. But the only seaweed solution did but with those bits of rain again these last few days it's come through again and greened up and growing.
    I'm beginning to think I should be nearly letting it into the milking parlour slatted tank and mix and spread with the splash plate and drive on. Use my 1300 g slurry tank as a sprayer.

It'd be lovely if I had a book or guide where someone else has made all these mistakes. :p

• Advertisement

It might be hard to make out the colour differences in the pictures but it's the same field divided by a roadway reseeded over 30 years ago.
    Where the cows are got the seaweed spray with molasses.
    And the second one is seaweed spray only.
    Both were roughly at the same growth stage with the cows one probably a few days ahead at spraying.
    The only difference fert wise between the two is the cow one had added boron in the mix but the second picture the fert had more p and k.

20190520-110548.jpg

20190520-110751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Smashing morning. No harsh breeze and a right good dew on the grass. Badly wanted.☺
    theres more than dew needed around here the ground is like the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

High bike wrote: »
    theres more than dew needed around here the ground is like the road

That is a fact. Ground cracking up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A few of the calves today. Starting to shape up a bit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

A few of the calves today. Starting to shape up a bit now.

Smashing calves there Limestone - a credit to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Shocking screws of yokes!! Show us the good calves let ya!! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Shocking screws of yokes!! Show us the good calves let ya!! :D

:D Theres a few screws around the place dont worry. The fella that's not tagged will be the pick of them yet. Just a fortnight now. A few more aswell, bundle of yearling heifers and a 2yo blonde heifer that's gone to the bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

:D Theres a few screws around the place dont worry. The fella that's not tagged will be the pick of them yet. Just a fortnight now. A few more aswell, bundle of yearling heifers and a 2yo blonde heifer that's gone to the bull.

Serious cow and calf in the first pic.
    What's that planted in the background of the top last pic? Not that fooking Sitka spruce?:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Few spare calves :pac:

D7LYNaxXoAAUGhW.jpg

Serious cow and calf in the first pic.
    What's that planted in the background of the top last pic? Not that fooking Sitka spruce?:mad:

Great breeding cow. Have a real nice heifer off her from last year. Loads of lads have tried to buy her off me. Ya Sitka spruce, poor land up there. My place was a sea of moss and rushes there up to a few years ago but a good spray of mcpa and plenty of fert and gran lime and it's useable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Great breeding cow. Have a real nice heifer off her from last year. Loads of lads have tried to buy her off me. Ya Sitka spruce, poor land up there. My place was a sea of moss and rushes there up to a few years ago but a good spray of mcpa and plenty of fert and gran lime and it's useable again.

Have you any calves off the charolais bull you bought last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Lovely stock, that heifer is a beaut.
    What bull did you put on her?

rushvalley wrote: »
    Have you any calves off the charolais bull you bought last year?

Ya the most of those calves in the pics are off him.

Lovely stock, that heifer is a beaut.
    What bull did you put on her?

Limo stock bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

13 and half month old simmental cross bull I bought for €150 as a calf in for finishing at the moment 510kg last week. Should leave me a few quid hopefully. How would he roughly grade? An O+?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

What type of fert did you use there?

Can I change my mind??

I'd say the seaweed treatments (both) have been fairly positive.
    The place has greened up grand with good growth. Even my yellow bits have darkened and thickened up. No drought stress here. Ground is cracking open though.
    Lesson learned is that you need a dry day to spray but a wet day the next day to wash it off the leaves into the soil.

tanko wrote: »
    What type of fert did you use there?

Got 4 bags of 18-6-12/acre last year and 2 so far this year. All my indexs are low so nearly always go with 18-6-12 or 10-10-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Got 4 bags of 18-6-12/acre last year and 2 so far this year. All my indexs are low so nearly always go with 18-6-12 or 10-10-20.

Yeah, was thinking the same myself.
    I take it you're happy wirh the results when using granlime on ground like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

When calving young works out! This is the Salers heifer who broke into next doors ch bull & calved at 22 months. Doing great thankfully :)

D7UdEcKXoAA3OTU.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When calving young works out! This is the Salers heifer who broke into next doors ch bull & calved at 22 months. Doing great thankfully :)

[]

As the auctioneer in Mountrath mart used to say 'Nice outfit'!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, was thinking the same myself.
    I take it you're happy wirh the results when using granlime on ground like that.

I've no choice really. Wouldn't travel it with a lime spreader. Place isint as coarse as it was anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

[][/QUOTE]
    As the auctioneer in Mountrath mart used to say 'Nice outfit'![/quote]

Another auctioneer locally is renowned for "super suckler" and letting an odd roar into the mike for added emphasis.

"Smasher!

• Advertisement

"You're a judge!"

Advertisement