Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

elections and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd definitely lead with the hotpants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

At 3pm today the Council will get into action; one of the things they're due to debate (probably starting around 3.15 or 3.20) is the little bit of new cycling infrastructure in Rathmines, the much-loved Mountpleasant Avenue cycle lane. Watch here: https://dublincity.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/420543

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the green candidate standing in north county dublin (out around skerries) has a face which makes you assume he's some sort of californian yoga consultant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Paddy Monahan (Donaghmede / Raheny) speaks very clearly on cycling issues and lists it right at the top of his priorities on his leaflets etc. he cycles daily himself so is a long way off those who just pay lip service to it.

https://twitter.com/pmonahanjr/status/1130217870313566210

Maria Mulvany in the same district is very active on Twitter on cycling related matters too and also cycles to work.
    finally, Shane Folan was quick to highlight that he's a cyclist when him & Aodhan O'Riordain called to my door previously. his leaflet references that he cycles to work.
    so I think cycling advocacy is pretty well represented out our way, if they get in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Lewotsil

Whitehall Ward ? ..... any pro cycling candidates ?

https://dublininquirer.com/projects/elections/2019-local/areas/artane-whitehall

scroll down to question 6 and the responses.

john lyons and patricia roe seem to have the best responses. the SF one is amusingly boilerplate.

actually, the SF one is exactly the sort of thing i put in my end of year performance dialogue when i have not made any real progress on the points in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

john lyons and patricia roe seem to have the best responses. the SF one is amusingly boilerplate.

Yep those 2 responses are exactly what you want to hear from candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Paddy Monahan (Donaghmede / Raheny) speaks very clearly on cycling issues and lists it right at the top of his priorities on his leaflets etc. he cycles daily himself so is a long way off those who just pay lip service to it.

Very good video - he would certainly get my vote. Hits the nail on the head on the deference to cars over people which is something most of our elected representatives and planners seem utterly blind to, despite us increasingly standing out as the backward ones out among our European neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Lewotsil

https://dublininquirer.com/projects/elections/2019-local/areas/artane-whitehall

scroll down to question 6 and the responses.

Thanks - agreed re. John Lyons and Patricia Roe responses. Rachel Batten called to my door in late 2016/early 2017 and promised to revert when I queried the expansion of DB bike scheme...............still waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Any candidates stand out as being pro-cycling; or for that matter pro drivers/ buses/ pedestrians but not cycling?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

I wonder are any of the Green Party candidates having difficulties with the tree huggers who are organising against Bus Connects with their red ribbon campaign?

from what i can see, most people who are complaining about trees being cut down aren't 'tree huggers' in the usual sense of the term. they're people hanging their objections on the trees, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Easy solution to the trees issue...remove one lane of traffic. It may result in some roads becoming one way for private traffic, but heyho!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

from what i can see, most people who are complaining about trees being cut down aren't 'tree huggers' in the usual sense of the term. they're people hanging their objections on the trees, so to speak.

Nobody likes a smartarse MB. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not local but in the European elections I will be voting for Ciaran Cuffe as he has always responded to any cycling related email I have sent to him, and always forwards the queries on to the relevant person or department in Dublin City Council, NTA, Dublin Bus etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Not local but in the European elections I will be voting for Ciaran Cuffe

If you're in the North Inner City LEA, Ciarán is running there as well as the European elections.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0505/1047631-dublin-city-council/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Anyone have an idea who is decent for locals in Kimmage/Rathmines?

• Advertisement

question 6 again. the first answer (from the FF candidate) is risible. as is the answer from pat dunne. and the garrett mccafferty answer... i don't know where to start.

https://dublininquirer.com/projects/elections/2019-local/areas/kimmage-rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

question 6 again. the first answer (from the FF candidate) is risible. as is the answer from pat dunne. and the garrett mccafferty answer... i don't know where to start.

https://dublininquirer.com/projects/elections/2019-local/areas/kimmage-rathmines

Nice one thanks. OMFG MCafferty :-D

The Pat Dunne one is hilarious, it's like he's going I know I really NEED to say something positive sounding here but ..... GAAAAAHHHHH - Feckin' Cyclists!

As for the other eejit:
    Motorists in Dublin are generally very considerate to the movements of cyclists, taxi drivers particularly so

403162_10150613644143465_129446698464_11144620_448774237_n.jpg

interesting to read several greens claiming 'If re-elected, I will ensure that the position of cycling officer is filled' - i suspect that process is completely outside the councillor's hands. the job is already advertised anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Budawanny wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea who is decent for locals in Kimmage/Rathmines?

Mary Freehill called around , I told her I would not vote for her again due to her opposition to the quietway.

She got very agitated, with " let me explain something......." but I ended the conversation at that point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Chiparus wrote: »
    Mary Freehill called around , I told her I would not vote for her again due to her opposition to the quietway.

She got very agitated, with " let me explain something......." but I ended the conversation at that point.
    "Nothing focuses the mind like a hanging"

• Advertisement

that'd be a fun one to explain if he was mugged and the chains stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Duckjob wrote: »
    The Pat Dunne one is hilarious, it's like he's going I know I really NEED to say something positive sounding here but ..... GAAAAAHHHHH - Feckin' Cyclists!

I also enjoyed his response to question 9.
    If elected, how would you increase the number of parks and green spaces?
    Pat Dunne
    Most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any tips on the best least useless candidates in Stillorgan?
    I honestly don't know how to decide between them at the moment except to vote for/against certain parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Any tips on the best least useless candidates in Stillorgan?
    I honestly don't know how to decide between them at the moment except to vote for/against certain parties.

From a cycling point of view Eva Dowling (Green) and Paul Gordon (Labour)are both cyclists and look to be very pro cycling . None of the rest seem to have it on their radar.

If you want to see what the current Councillors are like take a look at the recent cycle lanes put on Kilmacud road. (Its not good) .

Barry Saul in Fine Gael is pretty involved in the local parks and answers things on twitter if you judge based on that. Seems like a nice guy. (Never met him in person), but Neal Richmond is the local senator for Fine Gael and he came out recently saying he thinks helmets should be mandatory, and with Verona Murphy as a candidate in Wexford, I think Fine Gael seem pretty toxic for cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

From a cycling point of view Eva Dowling (Green) and Paul Gordon (Labour)are both cyclists and look to be very pro cycling . None of the rest seem to have it on their radar.

If you want to see what the current Councillors are like take a look at the recent cycle lanes put on Kilmacud road. (Its not good) .

Barry Saul in Fine Gael is pretty involved in the local parks and answers things on twitter if you judge based on that. Seems like a nice guy. (Never met him in person), but Neal Richmond is the local senator for Fine Gael and he came out recently saying he thinks helmets should be mandatory, and with Verona Murphy as a candidate in Wexford, I think Fine Gael seem pretty toxic for cyclists.

Thanks for the response, does seem like it's party voting really then.
    I've already taken a dislike to Saul and Richmond (wish I could remember why).
    My wife seemed impressed after talking to Dowling at the door, but all literature seems to be assumed at climate change which I feel it's a 'bigger than council' issue. The most sensible flyer I've seen was from Grainger (FG), but turns out she's not in my area.

Cheers anyway, I'll probably go green, independents and labor really.
    And then prob rate the rest by how genuine to smug they look on their pictures. That's some solid political analysis right there.
    Oh, and good knows who I'll vote for in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Deirdre Donnelly (IND) is a Shane Ross proxy (he has a grouping of independents) if that affects your choices. No interest in bikes.

Eva Dowling had a baby 8 weeks ago, so small people will be probably important to her.

If all they put on their posters is their face and a vote number 1 you can't judge on anything else but their faces. Never understood why they don't add a line "My important issues are x and y"

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    but all literature seems to be assumed at climate change which I feel it's a 'bigger than council' issue.

Yes, it's bigger than council for sure but the council has a lot of impact in terms of encouraging more carbon friendly transport and better planning/zoning so that as many people don't have to commute crazy distances.

by god, that was some field of fruitloops on the european election ballot paper.

by god, that was some field of fruitloops on the european election ballot paper.

At least 4 definite fruitloops (Gemma, Gilroy, Herman, Murphy).
    Tony Bosco Lowth I was unable to find anything about other than I'm pretty sure he's not Bosco.
    Same with the aid worker guy, name escapes me, a one minute video on RTE that detailed his aid work (good) but finished with a line about taking back control - which sounded like something Farage would say. Does not make it easy to put him much above the definite fruitloops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yes, it's bigger than council for sure but the council has a lot of impact in terms of encouraging more carbon friendly transport and better planning/zoning so that as many people don't have to commute crazy distances.

There is some amount of greenwashing though. They all say they care about he environment but no one actually said what it was they would do about it

• Advertisement

Don't know if "tell your pals" is one of the two, but here's hoping:
    https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1132231132815265794

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Don't know if "tell your pals" is one of the two, but here's hoping:
    https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1132231132815265794
    He is - O'Neill in Dundrum (tell your pals) and Daly in Sandyford gone. Apparently the lady in Blackrock dropped Ross a few months ago, and O'Donovan in Rathfarnham ran away from the circus to join FF some time back.

A lonely soul is Min Ross.

Looks like my first preference in the local elections - mr. dublin bikes, Andrew Montague, is not looking likely to retain his seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Looks like my first preference in the local elections - mr. dublin bikes, Andrew Montague, is not looking likely to retain his seat

Unfortunately no. He lost half his base when the LEAs were re-drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

tomasrojo wrote: »

Was he on the look out for more pints?

More Green Party Councillors should help the effort for safe cycling post these elections.

Very sorry to hear about Montague.

Was he on the look out for more pints?

More Green Party Councillors should help the effort for safe cycling post these elections.

He was at the count today .... wearing his chains.

It's a bit sad really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

It's a bit sad really

Saw that :/

I now believe that he did try to door that salmoning cyclist and got walloped by the door. He's that big of a buffoon.

It's a bit sad really
    i would love to think he didn't get re-elected, but i guess i'm not naive enough to expect that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement