Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

JDxtra wrote: »
    Where are you sourcing Fox News from? IPTV?

Yes, it is FTA and is not geolocked...

tinner777 wrote: »
    external hard dive just for movies etc.. powered or not??

I use a 2TB, not powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

I'm having a problem with Saorview channels RTE1, RTE1+1 and RTE2+1 only - all others are fine. If I connect aerial direct to TV they are all fine. If I connect to Tivar and pass through to TV they are fine when box is in standby. As soon as I power box on I loose them again (still with aerial as source on TV). If I watch them with Tivar as source they are heavily pixilated. So

Aerial to TV direct - aerial as source on TV - all good
    Pass through Tivar with box on standby - aerial as source on TV - all good
    Pass through Tivar with box on- aerial as source on TV - pixilated
    Aerial on Tivar - Tivar as source on TV - pixilated

Any ideas? Tivar box interfering with them in some way?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Those channels are carried on the same mux, Mux2 IIRC. Normally we see this when an aerial isn't correctly aligned resulting in a weaker signal for one of the muxes.

What are the signal strength/quality levels for the 2 muxes when the aerial is connected to the TV, using the TV's own built-in signal meter?

The Cush wrote: »
    Those channels are carried on the same mux, Mux2 IIRC. Normally we see this when an aerial isn't correctly aligned resulting in a weaker signal for one of the muxes.

What are the signal strength/quality levels for the 2 muxes when the aerial is connected to the TV, using the TV's own built-in signal meter?

Channel 48 is 92/100 and channel 55 is 91/100, so should be fine on both, picture on both TVs with a direct connection is perfect, only when through the box and it's switched on does it deteriorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Do you have to tune the tiviar twice? Once for each mux.

sligojoek wrote: »

No - its picking up both muxes on a single scan but stations only appear once - the coax from the box to the TV seems a bit 'thin' so I might change that for a better quality one and see if it makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

An auto scan should pick up both

If you're manually tuning setting the channel or frequency to scan you will need to scan twice with clear before scan enabled for the first mix and disabled for the second.

An auto scan should pick up both

If you're manually tuning setting the channel or frequency to scan you will need to scan twice with clear before scan enabled for the first mix and disabled for the second.

With this build you should input your local transmitter details into ABM and let it do the rest. Further details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Is there a way to get BBC NI on this build?

• Advertisement

cwboy wrote: »
    Is there a way to get BBC NI on this build?

Yes the list of “Main” channelsincludes it, see here.

That list now includes BBC2 NI, with BBC2 HD, being under entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Sorry meant to say bbc2 ni.

Not showing on my main channels. Do I need to update

cwboy wrote: »
    Sorry meant to say bbc2 ni.

Not showing on my main channels. Do I need to update

It would appear that you are not on the latest build I posted.

Anyway, I am currently using a revised build, based on OpenATV6.3.
    I haven't posted it yet, as it gave a few problems. Once I know its stable, I'll post it online. You might want to wait for that, should only be a few days.

Only changes are:
    • it runs a bit faster.
    • you can download picons from the web*
    • minor changes to bouquets.

* IMO the picons posted by the THHB are much nicer, but these are easier to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Anyway, I am currently using a revised build, based on OpenATV6.3.......Once I know its stable, I'll post it online.

Look forward to it - appreciate your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Does anybody know if it's possible to set up ddns directly on the box. At the moment I am running a PC client to update noip account but it means the PC needs to be on all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

omega42 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if it's possible to set up ddns directly on the box. At the moment I am running a PC client to update noip account but it means the PC needs to be on all the time

Why does the PC need to be on continuously?
    Can you not arrange to run the client when the PC starts?

Why does the PC need to be on continuously?
    Can you not arrange to run the client when the PC starts?

The PC is seldom used (mostly Tablets, phones and android boxes) where as my vodafone ip changes constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The PC is seldom used (mostly Tablets, phones and android boxes) where as my vodafone ip changes constantly

You can sometimes set a dynamic updater on your router depending on what router you have and which service you subscribe to

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As THHB posted you can run DDNS on some routers such as the F2000 I have from eir with a No-IP account.

I am surprised that there is no DDNS script suitable for the E2 image.
    I certainly had no problems setting up No-IP on a Linux PC prior to getting the F2000.
    https://www.noip.com/download?page=linux

Barring that, is there no client app for one of the Android devices in use?

Thanks folks, vodafone does infact support ddns for the no-ip service (Modem is a Huawei HG659)

• Advertisement

I have just uploaded what I expect to be the final version of this custom build, see link in the first post. As always, all credit goes to the team who build the core enigma2 software, and those who built the various plugins. The changes are as follows:
    • It includes a Picon downloader, to avoid the need to transfer Picons manually.
    • The program groups (Bouquets) have been changed to follow the Sky groups, as closely as possible. This is to minimise the risk of future channel changes, terrestrial or satellite, breaking anything. The list of main channels is still the same and the Irish terrestrial channels have also been added to the appropriate Sky groups.
    • The software has been updated to today's build of OpenATV 6.3.

To setup this version:

Flash the uploaded image.
    Configure your local terrestrial transmitter, [URL="[url]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109438116&postcount=463[/url]"]see this post for details[/URL].
    (Note: If your local Saorview details change, you will need to update the provider files.)

Optional setup steps, for additional features:
    • Setup WiFi Details (Menu-Setup-0000-System-Network-Device Setup-Network wizard)
    • Download Picons (Menu-Blue Button-Plugins-0000-Dsayers_Picon_updater-SNP-Picon_Updater.
    • Update Movie Database (If using films stored on an external HDD) -Blue Button and follow prompts.
    • Configure music Database (if storing music on an external HDD0 - Yellow button - menu - set music path.

482763.png

482764.png

482765.png

[IMG][/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Hi NewClareman,

Thank you for the new build, two queries:

- When you flash the box will you loose existing recordings, note I am using the THHB image
    - Is it possible to turn off the request for the code 0000 on the configuration menu ?

mburke wrote: »
    - When you flash the box will you loose existing recordings, note I am using the THHB image

Your recordings should remain intact, but you may need to set up any timers again.
    mburke wrote: »
    - Is it possible to turn off the request for the code 0000 on the configuration menu ?

Yes. Setup - 0000- Decryption and Parental Control - Parental Control - Change PIN.

When you flash the new image, would you mind checking that the settings are as the screenshot below? (I was trying out a new approach and I think I may have left them incorrect, on the image I uploaded.) Setup - 0000- EPG - Setup

482951.png

Setting "Maintain old EPG Data" for 30 min allows you to see any programs you have just missed. This is useful when you have +1 alternatives, but can be disabled, i.e. set to 0, if you want the EPG to start at the current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@NewClareman

AFAIK MHW (Media Highway) epg is only for foreign sats on 13E or 19E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Can I insert my sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml file as per previous build? Like my channel set up there

gar wrote: »
    Can I insert my sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml file as per previous build? Like my channel set up there

Short answer - Yes you can.
    (To get the same as before, you also need to remove the Sky CustomMix.)

Long answer...

The previous version used a mix of Sky and Freesat bouquets. I did this as it was more straightforward, but it really messed up the web interface, for anyone using this to view channels.

This version uses only Sky bouquets, with non-Sky channels added, when appropriate. What I did was port my sat_282_freesat_CustomMix.xml file and change it to the Sky equivalent. I would suggest you do the same - all you have to do is bring the changes you made across and leave the other changes I made, e.g. +1 inserts, unchanged.

@NewClareman

AFAIK MHW (Media Highway) epg is only for foreign sats on 13E or 19E

You could be right, not my area of expertise. 🙂

Does that mean that EIT is what is used for Saorview?

You could be right, not my area of expertise. ��

Does that mean that EIT is what is used for Saorview?

Above my pay scale too, but I think EIT is essentially the basic now/next info per mux/TP. I'm open to correction on this one :o
    I think it's also responsible for correcting a timer if a show over-runs or is late starting.

@Gerry Wicklow

Yeah, just checked, the EPG loads fine with MHW turned off.

The Saorview EPG doesn’t load with the EIT (Event Information Table) EPG turned off, so I guess that’s what it uses, all right. (I’m too lazy to read the “NorDig Unified Requirements 2.3” ��) It also appears that the EIT over-rides the stored EPG information, for the Infobar, even on satellite channels.

I’m not so sure whether EIT adds any value for satellite channels, with CrossEPG and/or Freesat EPG’s enabled. I’ve read on other forums that the EPG refreshes automatically when you tune to a transponder, I’m reasoning that this uses the EIT as I don’t see how it would work otherwise. However, this would mean it overwrites the EPG database which could cause problems if the “require unique description” is enabled on autotimer as the EIT description could differ from the stored one. On the other hand, it could be used to reset timers, as you suggest.

Anyway, the settings shown in the screenshot work fine, so I’ll leave that post alone, to avoid confusion.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that the EIT is "live" directly from the broadcaster so it can accommodate last minute changes unlike the Freesat or Sky DBs. I found on several occasions the box adjusted the timer finish time of late running BBC shows, even though the main EPG didn't change. The EIT inf is used for the banner at the bottom of the screen when you tune in a channel but doesn't overwrite the DB.
    Sadly, not all broadcasters use this function.

Advertisement