Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Milsey wrote: »
    I've a strange one that somebody might know. I'm using the image from earlier in the thread with great success.
    My problem is in the last week my box and TV turn on in the middle of the night and wake the house...

AutozBouquetMaker is set to scan for channel changes every morning at 3am. If the scan fails it can crash, which will restart the tv if you’re using hdmi cec control. The usual cause is that the the correct local transmitter details haven’t been entered in ABM, so the terrestrial scan is failing.

Go into setup (password 0000), Service Searching, AutoBouquetsMaker, Start Scan, and see what happens. If the search is not successful, that is the likely cause. To confirm, go into configure and set “Repeat how often?” to 30 days. If the box doesn’t restart that the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

AutozBouquetMaker is set to scan for channel changes every morning at 3am. If the scan fails it can crash, which will restart the tv if you’re using hdmi cec control. The usual cause is that the the correct local transmitter details haven’t been entered in ABM, so the terrestrial scan is failing.

Go into setup (password 0000), Service Searching, AutoBouquetsMaker, Start Scan, and see what happens. If the search is not successful, that is the likely cause. To confirm, go into configure and set “Repeat how often?” to 30 days. If the box doesn’t restart that the issue.

Thanks very much for that. I'd say its something to do with that. It does seem to happen about that time of night. Why would it start to nor work as nothing has been changed?
    I'll have a look tonight and see. What do I do of that us the cause?
    Cheers

Thanks very much for that. I'd say its something to do with that. It does seem to happen about that time of night. Why would it start to nor work as nothing has been changed?
    Cheers

I’m not sure, tbh. If it is the problem you can just run ABM manually, say once a month. I’ve noticed that my own box has got very sluggish. I’ll have a bit of time in a week or two and I’ll do a new image.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Cheers
    Hi I've gone into service searching but not seeing autiboque maker. Just tune config, auto scan, manual scan, cable scan, positioned setup, signal finder and terrestrial scan.
    Am I missing something. Thanks.

Hi I've gone into service searching but not seeing autiboque maker. Just tune config, auto scan, manual scan, cable scan, positioned setup, signal finder and terrestrial scan.
    Am I missing something. Thanks.

You’re using an older version, that doesn’t auto update. I’d normally recommend you update, but it might be best to hold off. I’ll have some free time next week and I’m going to build a new image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

My box was running great until today.

I switched it off for a second and when I switched it back on there is no picture just a message saying "run alpha + :(

Does this mean I will have to flash it again with NewClareman's image?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Just done a reflash and all is well again.

Delighted , as all my recordings etc were still there :D I was beginning to panic as I though everything was gone as I had loads off stuff to catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Might not be the right post, but does anybody know of Ubuntu or similar software that would use the webif interface to play remote tv.

I'm setting up a Linux pc upstairs and I want to be able to control box from up there, I could just use the webif interface itself but I want something a little more user friendly for the oh.

I have a few Android apps on my phone that are great but whenever isearch for something for Linux it just brings up results for either Kodi or for the box itself

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I use Linux all the time and have never heard of an enigma client. That is other than setting it up in Kodi or just using webif. It would be possible to run enigma itself on Ubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Looking for something like this but for Linux.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baront.enigmatools

I don't really want Kodi as I will want to run Netflix, Plex, IPTV, etc not all of which has a Kodi plugin or aren't great

• Advertisement

omega42 wrote: »

I don't really want Kodi as I will want to run Netflix, Plex, IPTV, etc not all of which has a Kodi plugin or aren't great

I get ya. You would be better off with an Android box or fire stick tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

omega42 wrote: »

I thought there were Kodi plugins for those three TBH.

I thought there were Kodi plugins for those three TBH.

Yes there are, but they run very slow (hardware acceleration for Kodi) is only available on the latest boxes. I ended up uninstalling it as it was practically unusable.

Ultra HD on Netflix is Windows only, not possible on Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is there anyone doing installs of these systems for a fee?

Diceicle wrote: »
    Is there anyone doing installs of these systems for a fee?

There is no question that The Tiviar offers a far superior user experience, for people of all ages. However, you won’t get one of these Tiviar boxes from most of the regular installers. They prefer to use boxes they are familiar with and that they have a stock of, or can get quickly at a good wholesale price.

If you want to go down this route you need to have a satellite dish and regular aerial installed. (You may already have these, if moving from Sky.) Every county has installers who will do this for you. Make sure that they take into account upcoming changes with Saorview, otherwise your terrestrial aerial could be obsolete within a year.

You could then get the box separately and get someone with a tiny amount of technical knowledge to fit it for you. Anyone who is comfortable setting up a TV should be grand. Once fitted it will auto-update, when channels change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

There is no question that The Tiviar offers a far superior user experience, for people of all ages. However, you won’t get one of these Tiviar boxes from most of the regular installers. They prefer to use boxes they are familiar with and that they have a stock of, or can get quickly at a good wholesale price.

If you want to go down this route you need to have a satellite dish and regular aerial installed. (You may already have these, if moving from Sky.) Every county has installers who will do this for you. Make sure that they take into account upcoming changes with Saorview, otherwise your terrestrial aerial could be obsolete within a year.

You could then get the box separately and get someone with a tiny amount of technical knowledge to fit it for you. Anyone who is comfortable setting up a TV should be grand. Once fitted it will auto-update, when channels change.

With this setup can you pause and rewind live TV as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

Make sure that they take into account upcoming changes with Saorview, otherwise your terrestrial aerial could be obsolete within a year.
    Could you point me to more details on this please? Looking to install one soon

funnyname wrote: »
    With this setup can you pause and rewind live TV as well?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

derekbro wrote: »

Not all transmitters will be affected, this will depend on which transmitter is recommended for your location, check here - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Advertisement

derekbro wrote: »

Full details are over on the Terrestrial Forum

Yes.

Up the banner!

How long does the set up take (once you have all the equipment) and will an internal aerial that currently works fine with the TV continue to suffice?

Up the banner!
    ��
    How long does the set up take (once you have all the equipment) and will an internal aerial that currently works fine with the TV continue to suffice?
    It should take no longer than an hour.

If the internal aerial works fine with the tv it will probably be fine. It’s impossible to say for certain without some indication of the signal quality. Some TVs have an installation menu that give an indication of signal strength and quality. If both are reasonable you should be grand.

I must run this by the CFO to see if funds are available but it should be cost neutral as we could then sell our humax 2gb freesat box.

I must run this by the CFO to see if funds are available but it should be cost neutral as we could then sell our humax 2gb freesat box.

I’ve had Freesat since the first Humax box, and a range of other boxes, including the Ferguson combi. None passed the wifey test as a suitable Sky replacement, until this. It was a single box solution, including a single EPG, or stay put. Now we would never go back. We have all the ITV channels again, and I can even watch Fox News, to keep track of you know who. I can also download films and tv series to my iPad as all recordings are unencrypted.

When you say unencrypted do you mean SD channels only or are HD channels included as well?
    I’ve had Freesat since the first Humax box, and a range of other boxes, including the Ferguson combi. None passed the wifey test as a suitable Sky replacement, until this. It was a single box solution, including a single EPG, or stay put. Now we would never go back. We have all the ITV channels again, and I can even watch Fox News, to keep track of you know who. I can also download films and tv series to my iPad as all recordings are unencrypted.

When you say unencrypted do you mean SD channels only or are HD channels included as well?

All the Free To Air channels, including HD, are recorded in the clear, unlike with the Freesat/Freeview receivers.

All the Free To Air channels, including HD, are recorded in the clear, unlike with the Freesat/Freeview receivers.

It's a no brainer to install then! Will report back how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Where are you sourcing Fox News from? IPTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

external hard dive just for movies etc.. powered or not??

Advertisement