Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Pacquaio v Thurman on July 20th

Any thoughts on it? I really like the fight personally. Think I'd just favour Thurman. No secret Thurman hates it to the body but Manny is a serious headhunter. If we get the Thurman that fought Porter/Garcia I'd have to favour him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Saturday saw hometown Champ Jarrett "Swift" Hurd defend his super welterweight titles against Philly's Julian Williams at the Eaglebank Arena on George Mason University campus in Fairfax, Virginia which is about 20 miles west of downtown DC. I wondered what the crowd would be like considering it was a filthy night and the location.

On ticketmaster the $50 ticket was $69 but at the arena it was $54. Pleasantly surprised to see a very healthy crowd there just as Fox were starting broadcasting. The arena holds 10,000 but had one whole section shut off and the 5,105 announced crowd, while not full, produced a superb atmosphere once Hurd made his spectacular entrance.

But first Matt Korobov was up against a local Aleem. Of course the Russian is well known to any Irish boxing fan but since Andy Lee beat him he had only 5 fights until saturday. His most recent was a narrow loss to Jermall Charlo on a weeks notice before christmas.

The initial verdict was fair and was only contested by some locals. I missed the opening round but was in no doubt he had won the fight despite labouring in the latter rounds. He looked stronger and he was clearly causing damage. In the fourth he had Akeem down but the referee, who I thought was not strong enough throughout, ruled it as a shot behind the head. In the sixth Korobov had him wobbled with a savage left and his lefts and uppercuts were troubling Aleem. To be fair in the last three rounds the native did come back into it and I gave him that so Korobov 7-3.

IMG-6262.jpg

To have this reversed later is almost FAI like incompetence and for Korobov to get the decision live only to be told later he didnt win must be gut wrenching as time is definitely running out for him. Only a few years ago the Russians like him, Kovalev and GGG were considered invincible!

IMG-6265.jpg

Decided to go for a walk around the internal part of the arena and so missed the next fight which ended very quick and then Jimmy Lennon made the announcement that Bert Cooper and Harold Lederman had passed. The latter's voice will be missed as will his knowledge. Some of the stories about Cooper are legendary though!

IMG-6268.jpg

Main event time and I had never seen a marching band lead out a boxer before but it definitely added to the atmosphere as there was almost universal cheering for Hurd. But very early on Williams made his intent known and was always first to the punch. In the second he floored Hurd for the first time in his career with a left to the head after a series of combinations and this was a pointer of things to come. The sheer amount of head shots that Hurd took throughout was astonishing.

Hurd did come back into during the middle rounds but Williams sheer toughness and movement proved the difference. His relentless inside work and heavy hands I think surprised Hurd and the native's face was swollen and his corner worked furiously to repair a cut over his left eye after the seventh. From this point the fight was lost I felt as Williams' confidence grew and the crowd had quitened down. To the closing bell Williams just looked like he had more in the tank and was still causing damage.

IMG-6271.jpg

This was an all action firefight and was worth every cent on the night. I thoroughly enjoyed the night and maybe this had to do with the venue. Indeed I saw parents with toddlers there which I never saw before!

Huge respect goes to both fighters. No animosity at any time and Hurd was very gracious after. As for the new Champion always great to hear "And the new" live as the reactions are always priceless. His interview was emotional after only because the remaining crowd could see him crying as the sound there was awful! But listening back he was right in that boxers should not be dismissed when they lose a fight.

Talk of a rematch in Philly but Hurd would be wise to move up.

IMG-6272.jpg

IMG-6274.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good post Shoveller.

Regarding Thurman v Pacquaio, i think we will see in this fight just how past it Manny is. I think it's an easy win for Thurman. Had it taken place a few years ago, it might well have been a different outcome. Still i am looking forward to seeing the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

gwalk wrote: »
    Michael Conlan to fight in Falls Park Belfast in early august under the Féile an Phobail festival

Unsure if its the weekend of the 3rd or 10th yet, festival runs from 1st to 11th

Supposedly its vs Nikitin @ featherweight, press conference to confirm it today at 1pm, move down to super bantam on hold for now.

Can see Conlan knocking Nikitin out tbh. Nikitin is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nikitin has had what 3 pro fights? And he has looked terrible. Not remotely interested in this.

Johner wrote: »
    Nikitin has had what 3 pro fights? And he has looked terrible. Not remotely interested in this.

More interested in the occasion itself than the fight if you get what i mean.

Falls park will be hopping and some craic,

hopefully there's a decent undercard like the last time he was in Belfast (Gerraghty/Carroll, Caterall/McKenna & McCullough/Ham)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

As well as Wilder fighting Brazil nuts there's a few WBSS fights on this weekend. Taylor's fighting Baranchyk who is wild and quite average but relentless and a machine stamina and intensity wise. Inoue is fighting Rodriguez which on paper is silently one of the fights of the year. Rodriguez really looks a terrific fighter and Inoue shouldn't have it all his own way. Saying that he's been flattening lads inside a round for the last few fights and he always seems to exceed expectation. Taylor should chop up Baranchyk like a surgeon but it might get interesting if he gets sloppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

BJS for the WBO Super middle title and Joe Joyce vs Ustinov on BT sports too.
    Big weekend of boxing coming up.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1130815932736167936

First defense against a middleweight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Johner wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1130815932736167936

First defense against a middleweight. :rolleyes:

Shocking fight that is, massively one sided card as usual. Anyone that pays for that is a mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Am I wrong in saying fair play to Hearn for bringing the Brits to fight in the states. Looks like he is taking a nice piece of the pie with DAZN. I always seem to remember his Dad, Warren and Moloney keeping their lads on home shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Am I wrong in saying fair play to Hearn for bringing the Brits to fight in the states. Looks like he is taking a nice piece of the pie with DAZN. I always seem to remember his Dad, Warren and Moloney keeping their lads on home shores.

It's a pity he couldn't get the Yanks to fight over this side of the pond. That's something they very, very seldom do, but then in typical bully style they complain about the Europeans doing the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Fair enough, til you realise that for the most part hes feeding the ones with titles to bigger names in the US, in the hope theyll sign with him later on. Or that he has an exclusive contract with Sky, but saturday fight nights are gone to **** because he can't afford mid level UK fighters anymore, due to stateside competition from his own DAZN deal.

But from a fighters perspective and the chance to make money for people like Tommy Coyle, yeah he's done well for them

ASOT wrote: »
    Shocking fight that is, massively one sided card as usual. Anyone that pays for that is a mug.

aye, wont be paying for it like but will be watching it for Katie

The Tommy Coyle fight could have potential as he loves a war

Anyone know why the GGG DAZN show is not on Sky tonight?

Anyone know why the GGG DAZN show is not on Sky tonight?

Is it not on sky sports action?

Oscar Valdez is on box nation

Is it not on sky sports action?

Oscar Valdez is on box nation

I don't see either listed

• Advertisement

Spence vs Porter signed for September

Christ Benn really is an awful fighter.

Great action though tbf, will be involved in some crackers but is going to get sparked out sooner rather than later.

Lomachenko v Luke Campbell

O2 London 31st august, already had booked flights/accommodation to go over when i heard of it first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

O2 London 31st august, already had booked flights/accommodation to go over when i heard of it first

Campbell saying it's not confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Enjoy, its the one date I cant do the whole year, gutted I wont make it, hopefully another "superfight" like a Canelo or AJ fight get a UK venue in 2019 but doubt it

• Advertisement

Campbell should lose, but at least he has this opportunity rather than fighting in small venues in Philadelphia. John Joe if he had made better choices could be getting these kind of bouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Billy Dib Vs Khan should be entertaining if anything..

Nikitin out of the Feile show,

aparently conlan will be getting a bigger step up now, ill believe it when i see it mind

aparently conlan will be getting a bigger step up now, ill believe it when i see it mind

Don't think it'll take much to improve on Nikitin tbh. He's horrendous. Conlan would have knocked him out.

Anto Cacace has colled conlan out now,

dunno if MTK will let that happen

• Advertisement

Frampton confirmed for Philly 10th of August. Hope its as good as his last trip to the east coast!

I think we all knew he wouldn't retire after the Warrington fight. Still feel there's a wee bit more in him yet.

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/carl-frampton-to-fight-emmanuel-dominguez-aug-10-in-philly-on-espn/

Deigo Ruiz (21-2), never boxed outside of Argentina so dont know much about him

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Frampton confirmed for Philly 10th of August. Hope its as good as his last trip to the east coast!

I think we all knew he wouldn't retire after the Warrington fight. Still feel there's a wee bit more in him yet.

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/carl-frampton-to-fight-emmanuel-dominguez-aug-10-in-philly-on-espn/

Opponent was stopped by Jordan Gill in 3 rounds a few fights back and is 26-8, pretty poor even if it is a fight to shake off a few cobwebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

What are people's thoughts on Frampton and Conlan's fights? On paper they should be comfortably winning, or is there a potential bananna skin somewhere?

My worry with Frampton is motivation, looking towards his next fight and him being on the slide.

Luke Keeler v Luis Arias

Big step up from Conrad Cummings anyways

The Feile card is brilliant.

Padraig McRory against Steve Collins Jnr, should be a good scrap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭fitzparker

What's the update on this, still not officially announced with Campbell saying a few times...news coming.

I presume the date is in stone but arrangments with the venue? I remember hearne saying they would do it in Hull (KC Stadium) or 02 London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭YoTaro

I have 3 tickets for sale for the Conlan fight as we now cant attend.
    If anyone is interested let me know.
    Face Value at 165euro for the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Any thoughts on Pacquiao vs Thurman? He'll do enough to keep Thurman edgy and on his bike and get a UD.

• Advertisement

Thurman has looked **** and Manny has looked good when it comes to recent fights and the slack drug testing is a worrying POV from a Thurman side, but I just can't see how Thurman doesn't win tbh. The drift on Thurman from opening odds has been fairly sublime and I think this might be the best value bet of the entire year considering he'll probably drift even more closer to first bell.

A peak Pacman would have beaten Thurman, but not now.

Beterbiev vs Gvozdyk signed for October 18th.

Great match up!

Beterbiev actually fighting someone elite? God bless us.

Think Gvozdyk f*cks him up but I am very biased. Beterbiev might be the hardest puncher in the division so he always has a great chance and Gvozdyk has been shown to be a little shaky although he showed a solid chin against Adonis. Beterbiev is actually a very good boxer but his defence is quite average and Gvozdyk's right hand is a beauty. Gvozdyk inside 8 if I had to make an early prediction.

Got tickets for Lomachenko in London next month. Hoping for a few nice fights on the undercard I hear Eubank Jr is trying to get on it.

Got tickets for Lomachenko in London next month. Hoping for a few nice fights on the undercard I hear Eubank Jr is trying to get on it.

got mine too, did you get decent seats? which block are you in?

i heard a rumour that Jono Carroll is on it

got mine too, did you get decent seats? which block are you in?

i heard a rumour that Jono Carroll is on it

Block 113 not too far from the back, was the best I could get! I read that Hearn wants Buatsi on the card as well I reckon it'll be a great night of boxing.

Block 113 not too far from the back, was the best I could get! I read that Hearn wants Buatsi on the card as well I reckon it'll be a great night of boxing.

Got block 103 myself

Aye, Cordina has been added to it, should be a good day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2 boxing deaths in a few days, RIP to those poor fighters.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    2 boxing deaths in a few days, RIP to those poor fighters.

Indeed. I saw video of the poor argentine and to say the least, standard medical procedures after the fight were not followed. Very sad.

Meanwhile Eddie Hearn let his fighter fight a 12 round elimination while knowing he was juiced to the gills. Didn’t even have the decency to let the opponent know.

Advertisement